• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST16 Jan 2023| Team Famuary Stays Winning

What are you looking forward to doing in 2023?

• Playing video games

Votes: 82 65.6%
  • Talking about video games

Votes: 43 34.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mxmndj730.jpg

Puss sweep

I'm... honestly impressed.

I'm playing Skyward Sword HD on my Switch, but I should get to Luigi's Mansion 3 or Kirby and the Forgotten Land because this video reminded me of how beautiful the Nintendo games can be.

Maybe an unpopular opinion (well, this is a Nintendo forum, so maybe not quite), but they look better than even most PS5 games and Xbox Series X/S games.

Games like Luigi's Mansion 3 and Mario Party Superstars are low key some of the most visually pleasing games I've seen.
4K and raytracing be darned, great art direction and optimization are all you need to make a beautiful game.

Famiboards Engage!
ZNEhbVrp283Eb4zixBxHrB.jpg

HockeyBird summons @Mr_No_U
Grants Shitpost +10 and [Cringe].
[Cringe]: During unit's post, inflicts an embarrassing meme that paralyzes enemy posters that prevents follow up posts. At the end of unit's turn, inflicts +20 shame to unit. If shame 20, unit can post twice.

Famiboards Engage!
ZNEhbVrp283Eb4zixBxHrB.jpg

HockeyBird summons @Mr_No_U
Grants Shitpost +10 and [Cringe].
[Cringe]: During unit's post, inflicts an embarrassing meme that paralyzes enemy posters that prevents follow up posts. At the end of unit's turn, inflicts +20 shame to unit. If shame 20, unit can post twice.
Damn I might be too OP

A thread elsewhere got me thinking:

Are we in a bit of a Metroidvania slump? Most of the last decade we've had multiple bangers every year, ones that were really celebrated and well-loved and good. But unless I'm just out of the loop or haven't heard, I feel like ever since Metroid Dread (funnily enough) I'm not really aware of much. Am I missing some, or are we just in the collective 'taking a small breather before Silksong and the next big wave' happens?

How are you faring with your migraine headaches? Have they abated somewhat? Only 6 more days until January 22nd! You're almost there.

Edit:

Meant this for @Legion of Primes; my apologies if I could some confusion upon initially posting this.

Last edited:
A thread elsewhere got me thinking:

Are we in a bit of a Metroidvania slump? Most of the last decade we've had multiple bangers every year, ones that were really celebrated and well-loved and good. But unless I'm just out of the loop or haven't heard, I feel like ever since Metroid Dread (funnily enough) I'm not really aware of much. Am I missing some, or are we just in the collective 'taking a small breather before Silksong and the next big wave' happens?
I’m sure there were some good ones out there, but nothing really seemed to make a decent splash last year except Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth having its late Switch port. 2021 was great for Metroidvanias though beyond just Dread. Ender Lillies, Axiom Verge 2, and Deedlit In Wonder Labyrinth were probably the biggest and I remember there were a few others people loved.

I’m sure there were some good ones out there, but nothing really seemed to make a decent splash last year except Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth having its late Switch port. 2021 was great for Metroidvanias though beyond just Dread. Ender Lillies, Axiom Verge 2, and Deedlit In Wonder Labyrinth were probably the biggest and I remember there were a few others people loved.
Oh totally, I agree! I meant after Dread in the year, since those all came out before it calendar-wise. DIWL and Ender Lilies were both great, and Axiom Verge 2 had some good stuff going for it even if overall I was a bit down on it.

So I've spent over three hours reloading saves and replaying the same enemy battle in Chrono Cross trying for a Rainbow Shell drop and after doing the same thing for about the same amount of time yesterday with the roulette game I gotta tell yall I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it.

I know this is not really how RNG probability works but if something has a 10% chance of happening my brain kinda expects it to happen 1 time within 10 attempts, not 0 times in 40 attempts. 🙃

Really? What was your take on Knives Out? I liked KO more but still found plenty to enjoy in GO. Sorry to hear it didn't work for ya.
Loved knives out. Going to put my issues under spoiler

I have two big issues and then a bunch of minor ones. The first is there was basically no character development beside Norton and Monáe (who I thought was great). I found I didn’t give one shit about anyone else and had no idea what they are besides some modern American stereotype (Gamergate guy, influencer that’s dumb but looks keep giving them a pass, politician that only makes it because they are funded by a rich person, scientist that cares more about making money than doing good science). No development at all, and I ended up not caring about their morality issues or their eventual turn to what’s right.

I also found the ending completely idiotic and ultimately incongruent with what we were being told throughout the movie. All we heard was how this new hydrogen fuel was so dangerous and was going to kill tons of people, how we couldn’t make power plants with it, how the manned space flight or whatever was a dumb idea. Then when they ignite this fuel that’s powering the entire island, it massively explodes and seemingly no one is hurt and nothing is even remotely damaged. It completely neuters the entire premise that this fuel is super dangerous and Cassandra needed to basically destroy Alpha to stop it. It actually makes Norton’s character somewhat correct, which I think the explosion was trying to prove he was too foolhardy.

I also thought it made no sense (or at least wasn’t explained well enough) why Norton’s character kept the party going when Blanc showed up or when Andi showed since he murdered her. I know they kind of try to explain this away as being a complete idiot, but I don’t buy it. He could just buy everyone off if they figured it out since they were willing to lie about it when the truth about the napkin was revealed to them. He would just let the best detective stay there? He wouldn’t be able to stop the package shipments to his friends after he committed murder? Guy has some survival instinct as evidenced by the legal wrangling, but offs, and ultimately murder. Don’t think ego would outweigh that. It also was established that there is a trove of lawyers that will seemingly do anything to win, so he could lay low and just survive if he gets accused of murder as he had the only physical evidence. It also was just too on the nose that the tech billionaires are idiots that failed their way into money. I’m fine with critiquing them, but thought it was a dumb way to do it. Norton seemed like more of a confidence man to get where he was, so I don’t believe he would be this stupid. Maybe the ass kissing and endless money dulled his senses.

The final issue was it wasn’t really a whodunit. If we weren’t showed overlong flashbacks, there would be zero way to solve any of this as a viewer. Most of the stuff also gets laid out well before so it didn’t really establish much mystery to figure out. Not really what I wanted in the movie

Looks like they upped the budget a lot. Going to be lots of CGI for a TV show.
As expected from me and it's honestly not what I care about that much; Game of Thrones had a high budget and I hated that show since season 2 or perhaps season 3.

I think it's safe to say that it will delve into the wider politics of the GFFA, in particular the Mandalorian politicking after the Galactic Civil War between the Galactic Empire and the Rebel Alliance (they were on the side of the rebels and dealt with "the Purge" or something to that effect).

Oh totally, I agree! I meant after Dread in the year, since those all came out before it calendar-wise. DIWL and Ender Lilies were both great, and Axiom Verge 2 had some good stuff going for it even if overall I was a bit down on it.
Sorry I rewrote my post a few times which made it unclear I was trying to agree with you and say yeah Dread’s year at least was super packed so even with a weak 2022 at least it should hold us for a while.

Sammy and the rest of Fami, any Metroidvanias coming up that you are looking forward to this year? I’m looking forward to Momodora 5 and more specifically its inevitable Switch port. Hoping we at least see Metroid Prime 4 this year.

Last edited:
Sorry I rewrote my post a few times which made it unclear I was trying to agree with you and say yeah Dread’s year at least was super packed so even with a weak 2022 at least it should hold us for a while.

Sammy and the rest of Fami, any Metroidvanias coming up that you are looking forward to this year? I’m looking forward to Momodora 5 and more specifically its inevitable Switch port. Hoping we at least see Metroid Prime 4 this year.
Well the obvious one is Silksong. I forgot about Momodora 5, that too! Otherwise I’ve had my eye on Gestalt: Steam and Cinder that still doesn’t have a release date.

Had a very long day so I decided to finally start up Persona 5 Royal. The original game is one of my all time favorites and I'm glad I waited to start it on Switch. Still crazy to think I'm actually playing this in my bed with my cat on my lap on my Switch Lite, never thought it would happen tbh.

Interesting from the opening prologue to already notice quite a few changes.

I spent two days trying to get specific side stuff in Chrono Cross instead of advancing the story. My mind hurts, and I am reminded of why I normally treat RPGs as linear experiences. 🥴

Silksong is the given, and I'm expecting we'll hear about it sooner rather than later. We're (possibly) so close! @SammyJ9 also had a good call-out with Gestalt: Steam and Cinder, but that game's been about to release for so long that I'm a bit wary of it actually being good at the end of the day. I think it could be something pretty special if it does pull it off though, there was a Steam demo of that that was a lot of fun

Other than that, there's this character action/Metroidvania-ish game called Vernal Edge that I've seen some stuff for that looks pretty appealing

Silksong is the given, and I'm expecting we'll hear about it sooner rather than later. We're (possibly) so close! @SammyJ9 also had a good call-out with Gestalt: Steam and Cinder, but that game's been about to release for so long that I'm a bit wary of it actually being good at the end of the day. I think it could be something pretty special if it does pull it off though, there was a Steam demo of that that was a lot of fun

Other than that, there's this character action/Metroidvania-ish game called Vernal Edge that I've seen some stuff for that looks pretty appealing

Ooh hadn’t seen Vernal Edge before, that looks neat! I’ll keep my eye out for that one!

God, everything hurts ... i overdid it yesterday in Ring Fit Adventure it seems. There's some places in my body where i feel pain for the first time in my soon 39 year old life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom