• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST15 Dec 2022| The Holidays Are a Time for Fami

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fami help me name my not pacman sign
8v9JjYu.jpeg

Ok, got critical stuff setup. Ate something. Im wiped. Gonna play a game but not sure what. I think it’s too late to start Nier Automa tho. Maybe FEWTH or vampire Survivor

For anyone who enjoyed Bocchi The Rock this anime season, Kessoku Band released their first album today! 14 tracks including Seisyun Complex, "Guitar, Loneliness and Blue Planet", and That Band! What a great Christmas present! I bought it on itunes, but the whole album is even just on Youtube too!

The show itself was probably my favorite this season! I loved it from episode 1! It's about a girl with social anxiety who wanted to join a band in middle school, but was too shy to do so, so she just kept practicing. In high school she tries again and does join a band. Lots of good fun, wild animation, and the music rocks! All twelve episodes are on Crunchyroll!

300px-WeWishYouAMerryChristmasWii.jpg

Happy holiday Famifolk!
Was away with family for the last few days and too busy to go online much. Hope I didn't miss too much!
It's currently 32 celcius, the Christmas chocolates are melting, the Switch sounds like a jet engine taking off, and Pokemon Scarlet/Violet got an extra 2 Christmas sales from our family alone. My little brother is old enough to have seen the critique of it and wasn't sure whether to be thrilled or horrified when he opened it lmao

Last edited:
Hope everyone had a decent holiday, to those who celebrated! I had a day of playing a bunch of different games, without having to worry about work or anything of the sort. Hadn't had a day like that in ages. So what did I play?
  • Pokémon Scarlet: doing some of those Deliberd event raids and making small progress on my Pokedex in the postgame.
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: got the 3-star gold in the Moon Cup at 150cc, finally. Still got Mirror and 200cc to do, though...
  • Super Mario Odyssey: got to 999 Moons in my second file! My last goals now are to max out my Balloon World rank and get 99 Moons from every shop in the game, the closest you can get to maxing out an Odyssey file.
  • Dadish: The whole trilogy was in sale for like 6 bucks plus tax, so I had to jump in. And...I played the entirety of the first one in less than 2 hours. It was alright! Very much held together by the wacky dialogue you get at the end of each stage as you save your children. You can kinda tell that this is a mobile port, not in that it's badly made but in that this is a pretty simple game, mechanically. But it's a neat game for the sale price.
  • Sonic Frontiers: making progress on my 100% file. 15 hours in on the third island. I'm definitely enjoying the game enough to keep up with 100%, but I do have some problems with it.
I love having a few week's break before work begins again in earnest!

I love chinese food and I love that there’s an all-vegetarian buddhist place nearby but I would really, really appreciate it if there were a few more details available about the menu items

fourth time we’ve ordered from there and each time I get something that I think won’t have bell peppers (potentially severe allergy)

every single time… a bounty

and like sure if it says “veg” anything that’s on me, I get it, but I did not anticipate the “mushroom and faux chicken” dish to be 99% cashews and bell peppers

again I don’t blame them but it’s extremely hard to navigate with a niche allergy

God I really hate Nintendo clickbait videos. Some creators that used to be good just had their quality drop off a cliff at some point.

Most know they are doing clickbait & simply don't care because it nets the click & negative comment in the comment section. Engagement is the goal and people fall for the same boring tactic over & over again.

I can’t wait to laugh at Team January

What do they anticipate?

Most know they are doing clickbait & simply don't care because it nets the click & negative comment in the comment section. Engagement is the goal and people fall for the same boring tactic over & over again.

What do they anticipate?
Im pretty sure they will anticipate a general Direct like every year

If only Nintendo could keep this same energy for NSO expansion pass subscribers:

Hey, don't be sour! Clap for your fellow Nintendo fan who owns every single N64 game! It's a new day, yes it is!

He probably owns every single WWF game there now, he's been wanting to do that for some time.

Jeez, I listened to a German (podcast style) games show, and they thought that the Switch's/Nintendo's 2022 was generally a bad year. Can't say I'd agree one bit, honestly. They also only talked about Zelda, Mario, and Pokémon, basically; if you neglect Nintendo's very strong (and fun!) b-tier line-up like that, then sure, yeah, there ain't much for you, but that's on the individuals in question and their respective taste in games, not on the platform (holder). People like them seemingly aren't Nintendo's main target group, I'd say, but they certainly act like they should cater to them much more than they do. Which is fine in and of itself, but not if they frame it like they're just stating objective facts or are making fair criticism, which, if you wanted to do just that, would consider these folks to take context into consideration; and they certainly didn't, like, at all.

It's just frustrating to listen to statements like that being made there like they're the universal truth, lacking critical self-reflection and differentiation.

For anyone who enjoyed Bocchi The Rock this anime season
Still need to catch up to Bocchi and Mob and Gundam and a bunch of other anime, but yeah I think Bocchi will end up being one of my favorites not just for the season, but for the year. It's just so relentlessly creative.

I can’t wait to laugh at Team January
Why wait when you can watch Bocchi right now for the funnies

It's just frustrating to listen to statements like that being made there like they're the universal truth, lacking critical self-reflection and differentiation
I think in general we should always assume there's an unspoken "in my opinion" there. Or if they really do mean it "objectively" we can just chuckle, go "sure, Jan" and brush it off.

Fami help me name my not pacman sign

Snackman

Jeez, I listened to a German (podcast style) games show, and they thought that the Switch's/Nintendo's 2022 was generally a bad year. Can't say I'd agree one bit, honestly. They also only talked about Zelda, Mario, and Pokémon, basically; if you neglect Nintendo's very strong (and fun!) b-tier line-up like that, then sure, yeah, there ain't much for you, but that's on the individuals in question and their respective taste in games, not on the platform (holder). People like them seemingly aren't Nintendo's main target group, I'd say, but they certainly act like they should cater to them much more than they do. Which is fine in and of itself, but not if they frame it like they're just stating objective facts or are making fair criticism, which, if you wanted to do just that, would consider these folks to take context into consideration; and they certainly didn't, like, at all.

It's just frustrating to listen to statements like that being made there like they're the universal truth, lacking critical self-reflection and differentiation.
Ah, sounds like they’re stuck in the early 2000’s style of reasoning. I’d ignore it. Its what I said, when it comes to Nintendo there is enough to discuss what can be better, but a lot of people are quite short sighted in regards to gaming discussion in general.

I like a few a things, therefore if few things are not there, it’s all bad

Sounds like they were trying their hardest to say something negative about Nintendo. I mean, you need a special talent for that, Nintendo literally released 5 GOTY tier games. 6, once they sort out SV's framerate problems.

But I know these kind of people. Mainstream commenters, Nintendo is basically Mario/Zelda/Metroid machine for them (they even sometimes exclude pokémon). Like that ever was described Nintendo. I owned a SNES while it was alive and finished more than 200 games on it. And only one of those was Mario and one was Zelda. That's just it (and zero Metroid, I skipped Super). And it still is my favorite Nintendo system ever. Silly expectations like more Mario, more Zelda makes these people willing to ignore stuff like Xeno 3 or Kirby.

Im pretty sure they will anticipate a general Direct like every year
We don’t anticipate a general Direct, we are just early to the party. Just happy to be here, waiting for something that probably won’t come, but maybe will. We are not delusional, we are the last optimists in a dark world.

We are TEAM JANUARY

Saying Switch had a "bad year" the same year Splatoon 3 and a new Pokemon generation were released is a bold move.

That's alongside Xenoblade 3 and the best Kirby game in a long time.

I think it’s fair to be disappointed in that regard. 2D Mario, DK and Mario Kart don’t get new titles because the Wii U ports are „enough“ while Xenoblade, Splatoon and Fire Emblem are getting new games constantly.

As a German, that's sounds just about right. It's palpable how disproportionally much we seem to criticize Nintendo and everything that doesn't have a Zelda or Mario label on it. It reeks of pure ignorance and I'm sick of it by now, seeing how comfortably great franchises such as Xenoblade are being dismissed with the must arbitrary and outright ludicrous reasons being mentioned. Getting ridiculous.

Ok, got critical stuff setup. Ate something. Im wiped. Gonna play a game but not sure what. I think it’s too late to start Nier Automa tho. Maybe FEWTH or vampire Survivor

I'm glad you wiped after dropping a turd, but not sure why that needed to be shared? Do you normally not wipe?

This was.. like.. possibly the Switch's best year since 2017, good lord. 😅

It's like.. if I just casually ignore all the games they release that I'm not personally into, then PlayStation and Xbox are utter failures. I'm gonna go make a youtube video, brb

Well, then I’m sorry. That brand seems to be so powerful to you that you don’t care for the atrocious technical problems
Friends of mine who've played it say it's a great experience even with the technical problems.. is that "brand power?" Or is it possible that it's a good game with a few technical problems?

Well, then I’m sorry. That brand seems to be so powerful to you that you don’t care for the atrocious technical problems

The technical problems are atrocious. People seem to think it's also a fun game. Both can be true. Also, I haven't even played Scarlet and Violet.

I do, however, have the common sense to know that the massive Splatoon 3 alongside a new Pokemon generation (nevertheless other great games Nintendo released and the Switch received this year) is enough for Nintendo and the Switch not to have had a """"bad year.""""

"That brand?" lol

It’s all a matter of personal taste. I think Nintendo had a not-so-great year for me. I recognize that this year was massive for a lot of Nintendo fans.

It’s all a matter of personal taste. I think Nintendo had a not-so-great year for me. I recognize that this year was massive for a lot of Nintendo fans.
Yeah Xenoblade, Bayonetta, and Live A Live check some very heavy boxes for me, and Kirby was an absolute surprise. Without going through release lists I think the last time there were this many first-party bangers for me seriously was 2017. It really was massive (for me).

Friends of mine who've played it say it's a great experience even with the technical problems.. is that "brand power?" Or is it possible that it's a good game with a few technical problems?
No one is allowed to genuinely like a game that I don't like. If someone likes such a game it has to be because they were tricked into liking it by the brand.

/s

Personally I only bought 2 games this year, whereas most years I'll probably buy 20+. That's more cause my free time was sucked up by my game but there also wasn't TOO much that interested me.

Yeah, I'd concur that while I admit that this year didn't have a lot going on for me minus Pokemon that happened to bookend the year for me, I'd also be there to suggest it's not hard to see Nintendo absolutely killed it this year highlighting all their big franchises or elevating b-tier to the a-tier. Splatoon now has three titles in its series and is only getting bigger - Xenoblade has now hit game #4 and is in a position to remaster/port XCX due to fan demand. Kirby is a puffball of joy absolutely killing it in the transition to 3D. Fire Emblem is doing it's thang. BAYONETTA 3 OH MY GOD I STILL HAVE TO FINISH THAT.

But yeah, may not have had many games but everything they did release was a homerun each and every time

We don’t anticipate a general Direct, we are just early to the party. Just happy to be here, waiting for something that probably won’t come, but maybe will. We are not delusional, we are the last optimists in a dark world.

We are TEAM JANUARY

#TeamJanuary4lyfe #HomiesWillBeVindicatedOneDay
#WeAreGonnaGetThatBreadAndThatDirect

2022 was an above average Switch year for me. It didn't hit the highs of 2017 or 2019, but it was much better than the lows of 2018 and 2020.

There was overall a lot of quality content to enjoy. Some of the games didn't hit my tastes and others I found to be a lower quality than I had hoped. But there was still some standout games that made the year for me like Kirby, Arceus, and Bayonetta.

For me brand and genre mix - as well as numbers of new games - is pretty high up in how I'd try to rate a Nintendo year, publisher wise, without just taking my personal tastes into account. I don't care for a chunk of the 2022 output - Pokemon, Switch Sports, Strikers - but I think it was a strong year. A bunch of new mainline games (Pokemon, Splatoon, Kirby, Xenoblade, Bayonetta, Sports), new spin-offs (FE Warriors, Pokemon, Strikers), plus some very good console exclusives (Triangle Strategy, Live Alive, Sunbreak, Sparks of Hope). There's a reason a magazine like Edge have Nintendo as the best publisher in 2022. Plus, it was good to see consistent releases even with a big delay (Zelda) and without re-releases.

Anyway, playing Pikmin 3 DX is a nice reminder of how quality this series is. Upping my excitement for Pikmin 4 really nicely.

I'm actually thrilled with the vacuum cleaner I got this Christmas. I'm getting old!!! 😭 😭 😭
Where is the time only a videogame could make me happy???

The most regrettable thing about 2022 for me has been the fact that I've barely played Xenoblade 3. My girlfriend asked me to not play it unless she can watch and I happily obliged because it greatly enhanced my replay of the first Xenoblade but whenever we got together to do something it was to watch a movie or play a board game so I'm only like 2h into XC3. I keep seeing it in my shelf and going

iron-man-colonel-rhodes.gif

In the backlog for Switch right

Neo the World Ends With You
Pokémon Snap
Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII
Ni No Kuni II Prince Edition

That’s a lot of RPG’s

A few?

But no, you’re right. But that’s not what I’m saying. Its fine if people have fun with the game of course. What I’m saying is that:
“This year a new pokemon game came out = this was a great year”. That’s not a great statement I think

I'm glad you wiped after dropping a turd, but not sure why that needed to be shared? Do you normally not wipe?
You didn’t read my previous post. I had spent an hour carrying stuff from my garage up into my place and then pulling out what I need to relax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom