• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST15 Dec 2022| The Holidays Are a Time for Fami

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's amusing how insanely hard it is but it was a fun experience regardless! Stop, Slow and such had never been more useful.
You can thank Asano for that I think?

One of the best things to happen to Final Fantasy is MMOs and the SMT/Persona glow-up finally pushing them to make debuffs actually matter. Cannot stress how big a design change that's been for the franchise.

Do the Pixel Remasters change anything in gameplay like balancing or something? Or is it just presentation/soundtrack?

Edit: Maybe a toggle for random encounters?
There are balance and bug fixes IIRC. I don't think they add QoL things like a random encounter toggle but I could be wrong. V and VI both have accessories you can get that allow you to tweak the encounter rate at some point.

There are balance and bug fixes IIRC. I don't think they add QoL things like a random encounter toggle but I could be wrong.
Ok, I guess I might just play the OGs then or older ports when I want to play them. Like FFVI on the SNES Mini, seems like I won't miss out on much and I won't have to spend money lol
Thank you

Ok, I guess I might just play the OGs then or older ports when I want to play them. Like FFVI on the SNES Mini, seems like I won't miss out on much and I won't have to spend money lol
Thank you
If you do that, just beware of playing the GBA version of FFII, the Famicom version is incredibly frustrating

Final Fantasy just copying Dragon Quest smh
More like "what if Dragon Quest pivoted in a different direction mechanically after the first game"

That said, I think FF2 is regarded decently in Japan and Kawazu then went on to head up his own series as a result. Many of the mechanical ideas from FF2 ending up in SaGa and the Mana series anyways, so it all worked out in the end. Narratively I think FF2 setup a lot of the tropes that the series would regularly return to in later games.

So it's a fairly important work for Squaresoft but it definitely suffers from that trend of NES sequels tending to be hard turns from the previous game.

The guy behind me on my flight yesterday was playing Xenoblade Chronicles 3 all flight. I almost had to report him to the US Marshals and TSA for terrorism.

Hot chicken and pickle pizza sounds great! It's more or less just a chicken sandwich but in flatbread pizza-shape form. At least, I'm assuming it didn't have tomato sauce and instead had hot sauce/BBQ/ranch/something like that? I'd be more iffy on it if it still had tomato sauce.

Besides, pickles are on pizza pretty often if you get cheeseburger pizza; it depends on the version, but many of them have pickles.
I must just have a thing about pickles because just opening the box nearly made me wretch, I had to leave the room and regain myself. Like I'm genuinely not trying to be a jerk and rip on all yall's opinions about it, I'm saying it must be a me-problem, is all. 😅
I can't even handle pickles on burgers, but I have friends who'll munch whole pickles as snacks. I dunno what my issue is.

Overwhelming Sonic Torture, the title for the next 3D Sonic game.
Overwhelming Sonic Torture has already been several of the 3D Sonic games

All the Final Fantasy Pixel remasters are now rated by ESRB
WOOOOOOOOOO
Now do Chrono Trigger

Finally sitting down to finish XBC 3's main quest. Feeling kinda emotional about heading for completion, despite knowing I'll pick it up again in the New Year to keep picking away at side content and two waves of DLC to come.

I've really fallen for this game.

I must just have a thing about pickles because just opening the box nearly made me wretch, I had to leave the room and regain myself. Like I'm genuinely not trying to be a jerk and rip on all yall's opinions about it, I'm saying it must be a me-problem, is all. 😅
I can't even handle pickles on burgers, but I have friends who'll munch whole pickles as snacks. I dunno what my issue is.

Overwhelming Sonic Torture has already been several of the 3D Sonic games

WOOOOOOOOOO
Now do Chrono Trigger
Oh... Oh no... We're no longer great minds who think alike.

You're speaking to a former subscriber to the pickle of the month club.

You're speaking to someone who knows exactly how he wants his fried pickles, and I swear to god if they're not in crinkle chip form I am complaining to the manager in my head

Last edited:
The guy behind me on my flight yesterday was playing Xenoblade Chronicles 3 all flight. I almost had to report him to the US Marshals and TSA for terrorism.

Finally sitting down to finish XBC 3's main quest. Feeling kinda emotional about heading for completion, despite knowing I'll pick it up again in the New Year to keep picking away at side content and two waves of DLC to come.

I've really fallen for this game.
Were you two on the same flight and you didn't know it?

I don't think I can trash talk pineapple on pizza anymore.

My local pizzeria advertised a new "Nashville Hot Chicken" pizza and I like hot stuff so I figured I'd like this. What I didn't realize was that apparently Nashville hot chicken tends to have.. pickles.

There are pickles on this pizza. All over it.

Pickles on pizza.

I can't handle this yall
Coming back around to this, pickles on pizza is a weird gamechanger (I'm in favour of them).

I once visited this pizza truck way out of town, and they had a dill pickle pizza with roasted garlic sauce, topped with kosher dill slices, bacon & mozzarella then drizzled with garlic dill dip and fresh parmesan.

It was delicious.

You're speaking to someone who knows exactly how he wants his friend pickles
Friend pickles
pQbZ2qN_d.webp

does anyone else's father randomly put cowboy bebop on the tv and then leaves the room

I'm unsure what would leave more confused, the Cowboy Bebop part or that my father was here to mess with my TV given i haven't seen him in ~10 years.

But maybe i do that tonight with my eldest one, i'm curious how she would react. The younger ones are too young for Cowboy Bebop.

Four years ago on Facebook I was waxing poetic on how wonderful it was to be inundated with kaiju films between Pacific Rim (before the reviews of Uprising came out) and a new Godzilla movie, and quoting myself in the comments: "Idris Elba could declare war on the Swiss and I would swiftly follow his glorious steps into battle."

I still stand by that statement.

Four years ago on Facebook I was waxing poetic on how wonderful it was to be inundated with kaiju films between Pacific Rim (before the reviews of Uprising came out) and a new Godzilla movie, and quoting myself in the comments: "Idris Elba could declare war on the Swiss and I would swiftly follow his glorious steps into battle."

I still stand by that statement.
same, bestie

👀 Who wants to watch someone play through 15 Final Fantasy games in Japanese for 5 days?

This makes me really sad.. literally developer commentary as they play through the games, but it's all Japanese. I wish it was also on YouTube so that we could at least have the auto-translate caption function. Wouldn't be perfect, but at least we'd get some gist of what they're saying.

A cool accessibility feature would be a computer voice that could read the generated captions to you..

I always forget just how funny the Sopranos series finale is, after a few downer episodes. It just leans a lot further into its dark comedy roots.

Pretty safe to say Metroid Prime HD missed 2022 at this point. Assuming that intel was good, I wonder what happened.

Tbh I've never really doubted the existence of it. It was being talked about by people like King Zell alongside a bunch of other things that 100% happened (though to be fair, back then insiders were referring to it as the trilogy in HD). The initial delay made sense since MP4 got pushed out. So, I wonder what the hold up now could be.

In any case, I've never beaten the original Metroid Prime, so I'd definitely play a new version with traditional controller+gyro

Pretty safe to say Metroid Prime HD missed 2022 at this point. Assuming that intel was good, I wonder what happened.

Tbh I've never really doubted the existence of it. It was being talked about by people like King Zell alongside a bunch of other things that 100% happened (though to be fair, back then insiders were referring to it as the trilogy in HD). The initial delay made sense since MP4 got pushed out. So, I wonder what the hold up now could be.

In any case, I've never beaten the original Metroid Prime, so I'd definitely play a new version with traditional controller+gyro
Metroid Prime 4K
Metroid Prime 4 (in 4K)
Bookmark this post

We always say "this game couldn't be made today" and it almost always mean "this game wouldn't be made by a big studio today". But I've been replaying Elite Beat Agents this afternoon, and that's a game that truly couldn't be done today. With the licensing fees for music, it'd probably be too expensive to make for an indie studio, and a big studio wouldn't spend that much money for such a niche kinda game.

I don't think that video games were better back in the day, and even this one has flaws, but the Nintendo DS era was something. It felt like anything was possible, any studio could develop games for the system for a very reasonable amount of money, so a lot took risks or just had fun. Nintendo really should open some kind of indie-like label and start making or publish games like this one. High-concept games, fairly priced, like they did with Good Job!.

Is $90 too much for a cib copy of chrono trigger ds? Ive never played chrono trigger. I dont have a pc, am i better off just buying it on my iphone?

We always say "this game couldn't be made today" and it almost always mean "this game wouldn't be made by a big studio today". But I've been replaying Elite Beat Agents this afternoon, and that's a game that truly couldn't be done today. With the licensing fees for music, it'd probably be too expensive to make for an indie studio, and a big studio wouldn't spend that much money for such a niche kinda game.

I don't think that video games were better back in the day, and even this one has flaws, but the Nintendo DS era was something. It felt like anything was possible, any studio could develop games for the system for a very reasonable amount of money, so a lot took risks or just had fun. Nintendo really should open some kind of indie-like label and start making or publish games like this one. High-concept games, fairly priced, like they did with Good Job!.

That would be an awesome idea. I've had similar thoughts lately as well, wondering if Nintendo would try releasing some more, non-full-priced software similar to what you'd see on the DS and see how it does. Maybe eShop-exclusive?

👀 Who wants to watch someone play through 15 Final Fantasy games in Japanese for 5 days?

Watch them dust off an old PS3 to play FF13 instead of bc playing the 360 version on Series X.

Square really needs to bring the 13 series back, Switch included.

Nintendo running out of time for the December Direct.
You’ll get a february direct and like it, after Zelda gets delayed one more time to the holiday 23. The big game announced at the february direct will be a switch re-release of new super mario brothers 2.

At this point I feel like square meant this week's friday when they said I'll get Treasures on Friday 😔

I forgot Vera Farmiga plays Livia in The Many Saints of Newark. She might be my favorite “crazy mother” actress. I even liked her in that Godzilla movie she was in.

Watch them dust off an old PS3 to play FF13 instead of bc playing the 360 version on Series X.

Square really needs to bring the 13 series back, Switch included.

Never actually played the XIII trilogy myself (a lot of the stuff surrounding it back then turned me off completely), but enough time's passed that I have to admit I'm morbidly curious to try it out these days. They and DMC4 are some of the games I'm most surprised haven't been ported to Switch yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom