• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST15 Dec 2022| The Holidays Are a Time for Fami

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darn made it through i assume is the final dungeon area to what I assume is the finale amp up for XBC3 but now I’m too tired to go in DX. Sigh next weekend I guess. I’m moving and dealing with family along with work so I’ll just have to wait.
Time to do some puzzles and calm down and go to bed

Tho with how messed up and wet the streets in town were and I assume the other towns nearby I got my fingers crossed for a late start at work tomorrow. Gonna be a dicey drive otherwise

The Wii is now older than the SNES was when the Wii came out

200px-DKC2_Cranky_Kong_Artwork.jpg

You ever just want to do a playthrough of Snowpeak Ruins in Twilight Princess around the holidays? Actually, I might have actually made a save file in the TP HD just for this occasion.

even Fallen Order was quite the technical mess on PS4 and XONE and still isn't great in that regard on new gen hardware.
You know, I didn't have that many issues at all when I first played through Fallen Order on my PS4, but I was playing the PS5 version today and ran into a bug where cutscene audio had like a 1-2 second delay. It was very distracting.

So I turned on my Switch and beat four games instead (Lunistice, Toree 3D, Toree 2, and Beeny).

Hot Ones made a sauce for a fast food joint? And it’s actually hot? I almost don’t believe it. When a fast food chain advertises that something is hot, it never is.

A few years back I went to Hard Time Cafe (basically a bar chain in the DC area) and the waitress asked if I wanted to try their new super spicy wings. I asked if they were "white people spicy" or "ethnic spicy". She seemed confused and asked if there was a difference between the two. Oh yeah, there's a difference.

They were white people spicy of course. Pathetic

A few years back I went to Hard Time Cafe (basically a bar chain in the DC area) and the waitress asked if I wanted to try their new super spicy wings. I asked if they were "white people spicy" or "ethnic spicy". She seemed confused and asked if there was a difference between the two. Oh yeah, there's a difference.

Yepyep. That’s why I’m shocked that Shake Shack has menu items with Last Dab Apollo in it. Hot Ones has heat cred, but I would have thought that the marketing collaboration would have turned up something on the low to medium scale, not Last Dab scale. If you aren’t used to that, that’s gonna light you up. Hell, it lights you up when are are used to it.

Nintendo could shoot someone in the middle of Time Square and we'd still buy Tears of the Kingdom
Is there a version of the Captain America "I understood that reference" gif except sad and embarrassed?

Oh wait, you can get effing Last Dab from Shake Shack? That stuff is for real hot. I stand corrected.
whoa whoa wait
I heard about Hot Ones doing a Collab at Shake Shack but it's the fucking Last Dab??

Holy shit, okay. Respect.

I actually had a friend invite me and some others to an Indian restaurant that he had absolutely fallen in love with, and we loooove spicy food so we were all really jazzed for it. It was like an hour's drive away so we made a whole evening of it. Everything on the menu had options for mild, medium, hot, and "Indian hot." We ordered Indian hot and the waiter looked at us like we were joking. We assured him we were not and he gave us this look like "yeah suuuuuuure" but we reiterated we knew what we were doing, one of us has been here a bunch, we know what we're getting into. So he took the order down and we waited a while and when the food came my friend took one bite, put his fork down, and sounding half-disappointed, half-insulted, said "they gave us mild."

I asked if they were "white people spicy" or "ethnic spicy".
It's always hard to judge what the spiciness level of a restaurant is. Sometimes I order something in the mid-range and it barely tickles my tongue, then next I go for spiciest thing available and it's the real deal, an inferno in my mouth and throat.

"they gave us mild."
That is disrespectful. You asked for Indian hot, you should have gotten Indian hot!

It's always hard to judge what the spiciness level of a restaurant is. Sometimes I order something in the mid-range and it barely tickles my tongue, then next I go for spiciest thing available and it's the real deal, an inferno in my mouth and throat.
Absolutely. One of the local Tex-Mex restaurants near me had a killer habanero sauce that would light.my mouth on fire and clear my sinuses in an instant. Was wonderful when it started getting chilly or if I was feeling stuffy. I haven't had it for a while but I went back last month and the habanero was so mild that I shotgunned the last of the cup just to make sure I was right.
I shotgunned a dipping cup of habanero sauce. And it barely gave my throat a tickle.
I wonder if they started getting complaints from people and took their sauces down a few notches. Because like, that's a difference.

That is disrespectful. You asked for Indian hot, you should have gotten Indian hot!
Agreed

Hot Ones made a sauce for a fast food joint? And it’s actually hot? I almost don’t believe it. When a fast food chain advertises that something is hot, it never is.
That's what I thought too. Then I bathed a cheese fry in it. Worst mistake of my life.

You guys just reminded me I’ve had a bunch of hot sauce in my fridge that my brother’s girlfriend left behind when they moved.

a lot of people think it is very cool to dislike star wars
see I dislike star wars but certainly not to be cool

I don’t think it’s a cool or popular take and people sure don’t seem to think I’m cool or popular for not liking it

a 🅼🆈🆂🆃🅴🆁🆈 for the ages

I'm on Season 6 of Better Call Saul (still early on in the season) and this shit is devastating. Honestly not sure I want to watch any more lol
If it’s any consolation, I thought they absolutely nailed the ending. For me, it even manages to pack some extra thematic depth into the finale of Breaking Bad, almost as a bonus. Can be rough going though for sure.

If it’s any consolation, I thought they absolutely nailed the ending. For me, it even manages to pack some extra thematic depth into the finale of Breaking Bad, almost as a bonus. Can be rough going though for sure.
Oh yeah, I’m positive they’ll nail this shit, they have exhibited nothing but total mastery over their craft over the last decade plus. But damn

Lemme take a guess, you just got done with episode 3.
Yeah lol, Jesus fuck I was so hoping things would go a different way 😭

Oh yeah, I’m positive they’ll nail this shit, they have exhibited nothing but total mastery over their craft over the last decade plus. But damn

Yeah lol, Jesus fuck I was so hoping things would go a different way 😭
If it's any help, the next few episodes are a bit lighter on the drama. You'll get to breathe before diving head first into the last half of the season.

If it's any help, the next few episodes are a bit lighter on the drama. You'll get to breathe before diving head first into the last half of the season.
That’s good to know, honestly the sheer intensity of the last few episodes would have been hard to put up with without a break for much longer.

Just wrapped up 1899.
While it's not quite as tightly constructed as Dark, I'm still such a sucker for this team's mysterious and atmospheric sense of style.
The layers of subtext and metaphor are fun to unravel, and the cinematography, effects, and performances are on point,
Hopefully it continues!

Finally finished Live A Live. I think my favorite chapter ended up being Imperial China which isn't what I expected going in. Overall it was an enjoyable experience, but I can't help but feel like some chapters concepts could have executed a lot better (Edo Japan in particular). Time to go back to RPG hibernation.

I can get disabling the Baby Mario cry (but why, it's there to punish bad play)
I too love it when video games ostensibly designed for children say “fuck you for not being good enough” via overwhelming sonic torture, that’ll show those damn kids

joking aside I think there’s a key difference between guiding a player and making a choice that was in hindsight bad

I love the game but like… 10+ seconds of increasing baby alarm urgency any time you get hit is a lot to deal with and kinda cruel in terms of feedback

I’m for the designed system but the sounds are exceptionally harsh

I don't think I can trash talk pineapple on pizza anymore.

My local pizzeria advertised a new "Nashville Hot Chicken" pizza and I like hot stuff so I figured I'd like this. What I didn't realize was that apparently Nashville hot chicken tends to have.. pickles.

There are pickles on this pizza. All over it.

Pickles on pizza.

I can't handle this yall
Hot chicken and pickle pizza sounds great! It's more or less just a chicken sandwich but in flatbread pizza-shape form. At least, I'm assuming it didn't have tomato sauce and instead had hot sauce/BBQ/ranch/something like that? I'd be more iffy on it if it still had tomato sauce.

Besides, pickles are on pizza pretty often if you get cheeseburger pizza; it depends on the version, but many of them have pickles.

There's a Thai restaurant near me that I love, and they have heat levels of "Mild - Medium - Hot - Very Hot - Thai Hot", and I think even the Medium is kinda spicy, lol. I am definitely white people spicy. I would probably burst into flames if I tried the Thai Hot.

I too love it when video games ostensibly designed for children say “fuck you for not being good enough” via overwhelming sonic torture, that’ll show those damn kids

joking aside I think there’s a key difference between guiding a player and making a choice that was in hindsight bad

I love the game but like… 10+ seconds of increasing baby alarm urgency any time you get hit is a lot to deal with and kinda cruel in terms of feedback

Overwhelming Sonic Torture, the title for the next 3D Sonic game.

As i've already had to get out of bed early today, i can officially say it's only one monday early-out-of-bed until i have sweet 2 weeks of vacation.

There's a Thai restaurant near me that I love, and they have heat levels of "Mild - Medium - Hot - Very Hot - Thai Hot", and I think even the Medium is kinda spicy, lol. I am definitely white people spicy. I would probably burst into flames if I tried the Thai Hot.

Friend of mine visited India with a co-worker of his, who comes from there. Since the co-worker was there to visit his family, my friend basically wasn't doing the traditional "tourist" travel. They went to a restaurant there couple of days after arriving and my friend was handed a different menu than the co-worker and his family.

Friend couldn't help himself and ordered from the menu the co-worker got, to the visible confusion of the waiter, and the fam actually tried to talk him out of it, but let's just say he's stubborn once he made a decision.

Well, in the end he "found out" why there are two different menus, as the dishes on the "tourist" menu are way toned down in terms of spicy. In the future, he's being okay with "spicy for tourists/eurpoeans". ^^

As i've already had to get out of bed early today, i can officially say it's only one monday early-out-of-bed until i have sweet 2 weeks of vacation.

Friend of mine visited India with a co-worker of his, who comes from there. Since the co-worker was there to visit his family, my friend basically wasn't doing the traditional "tourist" travel. They went to a restaurant there couple of days after arriving and my friend was handed a different menu than the co-worker and his family.

Friend couldn't help himself and ordered from the menu the co-worker got, to the visible confusion of the waiter, and the fam actually tried to talk him out of it, but let's just say he's stubborn once he made a decision.

Well, in the end he "found out" why there are two different menus, as the dishes on the "tourist" menu are way toned down in terms of spicy. In the future, he's being okay with "spicy for tourists/eurpoeans". ^^

insert fuck around/find out chart

Yeah I've been down that road myself and I'm dumb enough to try again and again.
One day I will hopefully stop torturing myself through this internal competition I have with myself.

insert fuck around/find out chart

Yeah I've been down that road myself and I'm dumb enough to try again and again.
One day I will hopefully stop torturing myself through this internal competition I have with myself.

Hmh, he had three days of intensive toilet sight-seeing. ;D

I learned that lesson during school when i and a few others were invited to a classmate's birthday at his home. His father was from Mexico and, i assume, while not on the level of indian or south/east asian spicy, their local spicy was/is still hefty. Classmates dad knew exactly what he was doing when he came out from the kitchen to ask the room who wanted their dish traditionally spicy, and asking while having a huge evil grin on the face. ^^

The dad also grew his own chilli peppers, i'd say still does. Guess he wasn't satisfied with what he could buy here back in the day.

I don't know if that's only here, but McDonald's does Spicy McChickens with three levels of spiciness (Jalapeño - Habanero - Hot Chili), and I was pleasantly surprised with how hot the "Hot Chili" was, especially considering it's McDonald's – and it's Switzerland.

I think Thai people would burst into flames if they started with Thai Hot as well, habituation to spicy foods comes with eating spicy foods and increasing the spiciness over time. My wife definitely was "white people spicy" before we got together, but now she can handle spicy food better than most people.

habituation to spicy foods comes with eating spicy foods and increasing the spiciness over time
Interesting factoid about spiciness is that it's more a form of pain than a type of taste, so yeah someone can train themselves until they can eat the stuff on the deadlier ends of the Scoville scale.

Does this also mean that people who like spicy foods are masochists? Yes.

Hmh, he had three days of intensive toilet sight-seeing
That's what scares me more about spicy foods more than the spiciness itself. Like if I'm on a trip I don't want to spend half a day hunting for bathrooms.

All the Final Fantasy Pixel remasters are now rated by ESRB

Speaking of spicy I got a .5L bottle of hot sauce as a white elephant gift the other night.

It's perfect for me, a wuss, when it comes to spicy, it's basically Cholula level which I love.

That's what scares me more about spicy foods more than the spiciness itself. Like if I'm on a trip I don't want to spend half a day hunting for bathrooms.

First rule of spicy food: Do not eat when on a trip or you have to go somewhere soon. ;D

But we have a funny saying in germany, i try to translate: "A good spicy dish burns 3 times. First time while eating, second time while (make an educated guess) and third time in the eyes of the sewer workers." ;D

First rule of spicy food: Do not eat when on a trip or you have to go somewhere soon. ;D

But we have a funny saying in germany, i try to translate: "A good spicy dish burns 3 times. First time while eating, second time while (make an educated guess) and third time in the eyes of the sewer workers." ;D
It's okay to say "pooping" here, we're all friends.

Battlefront was pretty mid, Battlefront II got good in time but dire at launch. Considering how EA had handled the IP up to that point and how they were doing with their own stuff (Anthem came out in the same year) and frankly, even Fallen Order was quite the technical mess on PS4 and XONE and still isn't great in that regard on new gen hardware.

Huh. I played through it on Series X and found no issues at all. I knew it was a bit of a technical mess at launch but didn't know there were any issues for PS5/Series X. Fallen Order is a decent game even if it's pretty much a bloodborne lite (and its story isn't that much to write home about). I'm pumped about the sequel because I'm dumb and I really like my lightsaber games though.

PS: You're forgetting about SW Squadrons, but I guess everyone else has too

There are pickles on this pizza. All over it.

Pickles on pizza.

I can't handle this yall
Pickles on pizza is a trend right now.

An acquaintance works for a sizable pizza chain out of Ohio and was talking a year ago about a buffalo chicken with pickles pizza like the one you're describing and it sounded kinda good actually,

In hindsight @chocolate_supra had a much better response for why that's there than my posturing. I personally don't have a problem with the baby sound but I think I'm good at filtering / responding to it, same with the Zelda "beeping of doom" that flips when you're on your last heart.

Meanwhile, I can't really stand the "red border of doom" effect when you're low on health that creeped into shooters starting two generations ago because I tend to have tunnel vision in gaming and don't totally see and respond to things in the periphery like that. Plus it just makes the rest of the UI hard to see.

All the Final Fantasy Pixel remasters are now rated by ESRB
Perfect! Just in time for me to have not finished the games I said I would finish or start the games I said I would start.

🙃

FF Pixel Remasters are hype, I love classic FF but I've actually only played 4 and 6 from the pre-PSX era so I'm really interested in it. I recently played through FF4 on DS so I'll likely not replay that one but the other 5 are hypee.

FF Pixel Remasters are hype, I love classic FF but I've actually only played 4 and 6 from the pre-PSX era so I'm really interested in it. I recently played through FF4 on DS so I'll likely not replay that one but the other 5 are hypee.
Yea, I don't think you're missing anything by going back to OG IV after playing the murderous DS version :LOL:

Now we just need FFIV: The After Years Pixel Remaster…
And Dimensions!

Yea, I don't think you're missing anything by going back to OG IV after playing the murderous DS version :LOL:
It's amusing how insanely hard it is but it was a fun experience regardless! Stop, Slow and such had never been more useful.

Do the Pixel Remasters change anything in gameplay like balancing or something? Or is it just presentation/soundtrack?

Edit: Maybe a toggle for random encounters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom