• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST15 Dec 2022| The Holidays Are a Time for Fami

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. Got it set up and loaded on the deck. There’s this thing called emudeck that loads all kinds of emulators on the deck for you on the deck, including prime hack.
Oh shit. I didn't know EmuDeck supported Prime Hack. Must be even better with touchpads and gyro.

Fingers crossed I win a Deck through the Game Awards giveaway, if not I know the first thing I'll install when I buy the eventual OLED model. 😏

Oh shit. I didn't know EmuDeck supported Prime Hack. Must be even better with touchpads and gyro.

Fingers crossed I win a Deck through the Game Awards giveaway, if not I know the first thing I'll install when I buy the eventual OLED model. 😏
Yep, loads it into steam os so I can play it in game mode as well. Controls are nice. Good luck on trying to win one.

I have never played Metroid prime before and I am doing it for the challenge. Plus I got tired of waiting for it to come to switch

Got an eye doctor appointment in like an hour that I desperately need to go to because my glasses are literally falling apart, but I am so sleepy

I would love to see S/V to get that recognition and just watch the Internet melt
Give it 10-15 years and the general sentiment will be “actually Scarlet and Violet were always good”

that game makes so many wildly interesting choices and has some incredible writing

and the soundtrack rules

honestly most people are too blinded by superficial things like performance and graphics and aren’t ready to have the conversation of “is the game enjoyable or not” to which I truly believe the answer is a resounding “yes”

I should make some kind of avatar bet about Metroid Prime not showing up at TGA. I am so confident that it won't be there that I'm willing to change my avatar to something embarrassing if it is.

Any suggestions?

Wanted to also mention that Thursday will be my birthday. . Hopefully the game awards will at least have something good for me this year

Give it 10-15 years and the general sentiment will be “actually Scarlet and Violet were always good”

that game makes so many wildly interesting choices and has some incredible writing

and the soundtrack rules

honestly most people are too blinded by superficial things like performance and graphics and aren’t ready to have the conversation of “is the game enjoyable or not” to which I truly believe the answer is a resounding “yes”
'blinded by superficial things like performance'. No, dude, this isn't a snobbery thing. The game is broken.

'blinded by superficial things like performance'. No, dude, this isn't a snobbery thing. The game is broken.
The game absolutely has problems, I would be lying if I said it didn’t, but underneath those problems is one of the best Pokemon games ever made. Hence, the problems are the surface. They are, by definition, superficial.

Hey fellow CSM fans on Famiboards

5xudc1er5c4a1.png
Just what this place needed an anime mascot

and the soundtrack rules

This sounds like me talking about Sonic Frontiers, I get it 🤘

with each passing minute we are getting closer to Zelda at TGA

Geoff about to walk out on stage dressed as Link, whip out a Switch 2 and play some Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom in 4K/60 on stage! Then a copy of the Metroid Prime Trilogy Switch 2 falls out of his pocket and he just says "whoopsies"!

Geoff about to walk out on stage dressed as Link, whip out a Switch 2 and play some Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom in 4K/60 on stage! Then a copy of the Metroid Prime Trilogy Switch 2 falls out of his pocket and he just says "whoopsies"!
"and now here is a world premiere from Nintendo"

Direct intro starts, hello everyone am Yoshiaki Koizumi and I will be your guide for today's Nintendo Direct

I like that people can have positive impressions of games on this site even when there’s discussions dedicated to various issues with them, there’s tons of games that have got pretty middling reviews but I’ve enjoyed tremendously.
Maybe I can casually reveal that I love DQXIS’s soundtrack, even though most of it is recycled from older DQ games.

There are dozens like two of us!

TBH I think “oh bad frame rate” and “look, silly bugs” has irreversibly poisoned the conversation about the game. Everyone I know who’s playing it is like over 80 hours in and that includes a lot of people who like, their first ever video game was Animal Crossing New Horizons but also people like me who spend most of their life playing/thinking about video games. Clearly the game is doing something right.

I’m not saying this to dismiss criticism of the game at all. The game’s got problems and is clearly unfinished, and it could have used another year at least in development. But starting and ending the conversation with “game broken” as many are wont to do dismisses everything the game gets right, which in my opinion, massively outweighs its superficial problems.

Which is why I say people aren’t ready to have that conversation. A lot of people, unfortunately, like short-form negative opinions, especially ones where a popular commercial product/company gets dunked on. Pokémon releasing in the state that it did has fuelled thousands of people who thrive on that kind of shit for months if not years, so it’s gonna take about a decade for people to get over the negative and realize that Scarlet and Violet are the most ambitious, most interesting, most mechanically dense, and most enjoyable mainline two-version Pokémon games since Gold/Silver.

TBH I think “oh bad frame rate” and “look, silly bugs” has irreversibly poisoned the conversation about the game. Everyone I know who’s playing it is like over 80 hours in and that includes a lot of people who like, their first ever video game was Animal Crossing New Horizons but also people like me who spend most of their life playing/thinking about video games. Clearly the game is doing something right.

I’m not saying this to dismiss criticism of the game at all. The game’s got problems and is clearly unfinished, and it could have used another year at least in development. But starting and ending the conversation with “game broken” as many are wont to do dismisses everything the game gets right, which in my opinion, massively outweighs its superficial problems.

Which is why I say people aren’t ready to have that conversation. A lot of people, unfortunately, like short-form negative opinions, especially ones where a popular commercial product/company gets dunked on. Pokémon releasing in the state that it did has fuelled thousands of people who thrive on that kind of shit for months if not years, so it’s gonna take about a decade for people to get over the negative and realize that Scarlet and Violet are the most ambitious, most interesting, most mechanically dense, and most enjoyable mainline two-version Pokémon games since Gold/Silver.
People like long-form negative opinions too. Lord knows some DF videos don’t have to be as long as they are. Though I guess those aren’t always necessarily “opinions.”

Dragon Quest Treasures is gonna be a banger with zero discussion about it online. I can feel it.
It looks great. I don’t know why the reviews haven’t dropped yet though, considering it comes out in 3 days, and Crisis Core just did their drop.

Dragon Quest Treasures is gonna be a banger with zero discussion about it online. I can feel it.

I did my part and I preordered a copy. Dragon Quest 11 was a massive surprise of a game for me. Never played a Dragon Quest game before. I casually decided I would give it a shot expecting to play for a few minutes and then dump it. 117 hours later it became one of my all-time favorite games. :)

I like that people can have positive impressions of games on this site even when there’s discussions dedicated to various issues with them, there’s tons of games that have got pretty middling reviews but I’ve enjoyed tremendously.
Yeah, it’s a symptom of what I call “hot take culture.” Everyone feels the need to have a one-line opinion on everything, with bonus points if it’s a negative one. This is exacerbated by websites like Metacritic, where they take scores and one line of conclusive text, resulting in most people refusing to read past that. It not only removes nuance from any critical discussion of a video game, but actively discourages it. If you try to bring nuance into a conversation with someone who just wants to dunk, you’re going to get laughed at, or accused of being a fanboy or bootlicker or whatever.

Take, for example, the whole ”too much water” shit from Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire. The reviewer in question explains what they mean by that in the review, citing the game’s type balance being heavily weighted towards water, and the game having several HMs, necessary for world traversal, be water type moves, which is a symptom of a lot of the map being water-based. There’s nuance to that discussion. But what do most people remember? “7.8 too much water”. That’s it. Nuance lost, discussion over. Don’t try to even defend the IGN review, because they said ”too much water.”

Luckily this website seems to be full of people ready to actually have long-form discussions about the nuances of video games, which makes me really happy!

Well, mostly. Some people want to shut me down and just say “game broken” but I guess you can’t win ‘em all haha

Well, I got it pre-ordered. It's Dragon Quest. I always buy anything Dragon Quest-related. Even if the whole world turns against DQ, there'll still be a lone fan waiting for another release.

Yeah, it’s a symptom of what I call “hot take culture.” Everyone feels the need to have a one-line opinion on everything, with bonus points if it’s a negative one. This is exacerbated by websites like Metacritic, where they take scores and one line of conclusive text, resulting in most people refusing to read past that. It not only removes nuance from any critical discussion of a video game, but actively discourages it. If you try to bring nuance into a conversation with someone who just wants to dunk, you’re going to get laughed at, or accused of being a fanboy or bootlicker or whatever.

Take, for example, the whole ”too much water” shit from Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire. The reviewer in question explains what they mean by that in the review, citing the game’s type balance being heavily weighted towards water, and the game having several HMs, necessary for world traversal, be water type moves, which is a symptom of a lot of the map being water-based. There’s nuance to that discussion. But what do most people remember? “7.8 too much water”. That’s it. Nuance lost, discussion over. Don’t try to even defend the IGN review, because they said ”too much water.”

Luckily this website seems to be full of people ready to actually have long-form discussions about the nuances of video games, which makes me really happy!

Well, mostly. Some people want to shut me down and just say “game broken” but I guess you can’t win ‘em all haha
I think most of my lengthy tedious posts count as ‘long form’ :D

I think I'm going to be more appreciative of this in the future, since while before I had pretty tame gaming opinions but I apparently chose contrarianism this year, since my least favorite game I played this year is the best reviewed, and my favorite is the worst reviewed

I'm now that person. Ugh

Yeah already did one of these on exploration in general that was pretty fun (if immediately relegated to obscurity) and I'm honestly thinking of doing something eventually just specifically dissecting this year's Pokemon games

There are only two rumors I'll actively choose to not believe in, no matter the source or context: Metroid Prime on Switch and Nintendo Switch Pro.

Most of my hot takes are from me liking games other people didn’t like lol.

Otherwise I tend to keep my mouth shut.

I think I'm going to be more appreciative of this in the future, since while before I had pretty tame gaming opinions but I apparently chose contrarianism this year, since my least favorite game I played this year is the best reviewed, and my favorite is the worst reviewed

I'm now that person. Ugh

Nah, I get it, sometimes a rant feels good, y’know? I try to be constructive even when I’m criticising something, but we’re all human. Sometimes a discussion can reach a critical mass of snark though, which I can understand even if it then becomes a hard place to put a more thoughtful piece in. I know I’ve made snarky posts tearing a game apart in the past, and then lengthy ones drilling into exactly what the issues are and why. And then repeated the same points again and again. And then later on softened and offered a more rounded take once my initial balk at a singular aspect a game was shit at has become just one aspect of my overall thoughts on it.

Nah, I get it, sometimes a rant feels good, y’know? I try to be constructive even when I’m criticising something, but we’re all human. Sometimes a discussion can reach a critical mass of snark though, which I can understand even if it then becomes a hard place to put a more thoughtful piece in. I know I’ve made snarky posts tearing a game apart in the past, and then lengthy ones drilling into exactly what the issues are and why. And then repeated the same points again and again. And then later on softened and offered a more rounded take once my initial balk at a singular aspect a game was shit at has become just one aspect of my overall thoughts on it.
Hm I wouldn't say personally that I tend towards just meaningless ranting

Like, I've been fairly vocal about my dislike of Elden Ring, I think, but I think I've also done a fair job of analyzing, at least to myself, why I dislike it, and why it's still undoubtedly a great game that just kinda does exactly what it needs to to turn off me specifically

Hm I wouldn't say personally that I tend towards just meaningless ranting

Like, I've been fairly vocal about my dislike of Elden Ring, I think, but I think I've also done a fair job of analyzing, at least to myself, why I dislike it, and why it's still undoubtedly a great game that just kinda does exactly what it needs to to turn off me specifically
That’s fair. I like to think, after decades of playing games and writing about them, I can probably outline things that I dislike fairly well. I think the ‘can’ is the operative word there though, as sometimes when I’ve just been playing a game and I take to the forum to complain about a singular element, a rounded post isn’t at the front of my mind.

Depends on the thread vibe too. I probably wouldn’t put a short post about frustration with x element in reply to a thoughtful long form post full of various points about a game in retrospect. But in a current OT full of superficial reaction, I might well do.

Last edited:
Always glad to see so many Dragon Quest fans on here, my favourite franchise. Also Scarlet/Violet are goated when it comes to the actual game design, OST is such a big step up from SwSh it isn't even funny and it has the mice + chocolate whooper and evo.

I like that people can have positive impressions of games on this site even when there’s discussions dedicated to various issues with them, there’s tons of games that have got pretty middling reviews but I’ve enjoyed tremendously
Yeah with reviews you kind of have to read between the lines, and see if the things the reviewer mentions are things that would impact your own personal “score” of a game.

Everyone feels the need to have a one-line opinion on everything
Honestly, the three people I’ve heard complain about Pokemon haven’t actually played Pokemon

I think I've also done a fair job of analyzing, at least to myself, why I dislike it
This is the way. I always like hearing detailed critiques. I might disagree with the overall stance, but it is way more useful/interesting info compared to an agreeable one-liner.

Maybe I should post this as a thread ro get more responses but what's everybody's worst reviewed game on metacritic that they love?

Mine is One Piece Unlimited Cruise SP on 3DS. I prefer the Wii version too but if I only had the 3DS version I'd still love the game. It has a 46 on Metacritic.

evidence.zip
Would probably be Code Name S.T.E.A.M. for me, which is sitting at a 69 on Metacritic.

Maybe I should post this as a thread ro get more responses but what's everybody's worst reviewed game on metacritic that they love?

Mine is One Piece Unlimited Cruise SP on 3DS. I prefer the Wii version too but if I only had the 3DS version I'd still love the game. It has a 46 on Metacritic.

evidence.zip
Sonic Adventure.
48 on Metacritic.

evidence.zip
I really like Dynasty Warriors 9 Empires on Switch, which is sitting at a 54

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom