• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST15 Dec 2022| The Holidays Are a Time for Fami

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're still getting TOTK, pikmin 4, XC3 DLC, and possibly Prime Remake so 2023 already is better than 2020 IMO

Definitely nearing the end of Star Ocean 6 and while I definitely have a lot of complaints about it, it says how much I enjoyed my time with when I'm actively delaying the completion of the game by searching for more private interactions the various towns and cities. I'll probably beat it within 35 hours so not a very long game but JRPG standards but still a good length. I skipped most of the side missions because they didn't feel worth it so other people could stretch out the playtime to be longer if they did that.

After that, it will probably be mostly Tactics Ogre until Fire Emblem Engage comes out. I also have Crisis Core coming and I got Live A Live for Christmas so I might be able to bang out one of those before Fire Emblem. I also got Harvestella but that looks to be 50 hours minimum so I'm probably saving playthrough for later in 2023. Maybe before Zelda comes out.

I've noticed I can get myself down by verbalizing the lameness of things, it's something I hate that I have to work on but I try to, and what I've found helps is instead of ignoring the misery, fuckin laugh at it. I know it's a very cliche and easier-said-than-done thing, but as someone who has a hard time not noticing when stuff is bullshit, I try to be a smug, sassy bitch about it instead of being depressed about it. I lift myself above misery through the power of sass.

Granted I'm told this ain't exactly a healthy long-term solution but it's at least good practice in reframing problems. 😅

I have no idea if this helps but at the very least I hope it gives you a chuckle
yee-est of haws to that

yee-est of haws to that

Lol I just remembered that my most hyped movie coming into 2022 was Doctor Strange. Now that's probably my most hated movie. Funny how things turned out.
My most hyped movie coming into 22 was Sonic 2. My most hyped going into 23 is.. I actually dunno.

What even is coming out in 23?
*checks*

Cx2p0Mn.png

...well then.

😂

Tbh the only 2023 movies I'm interested in are coming out in the first half (Suzume, Mario, Guardians 3, Spider-Verse). I can't tell if that's good or bad.
I'm going through the release list on Firstshowing.net and so far I wanna see
  • A Man Called Otto (Tom Hanks as a bitter bastard is something I think I'd relate to)
  • Alice, Darling (because Anna Kendrick is fantastic)
  • AntMan and the Wasp (sue me, I've been waiting years to see Kang in the MCU)
  • my friends might drag me to Cocaine Bear
  • Creed III (loved the others, love MBJ)
  • John Wick 4 (because Keanu and The Motherfuckin Donnie Yen)
  • Super Mario Bros (Charlie and Jack are gonna kill it)
  • Suzume no Tojimari (I'm a sucker for Shinkai)
  • SpiderVerse
  • Indiana Jones and the Return of Good Screenwriting I Hope
  • Mission Impossible 7: Dead Reckoning: Part One: Tokyo Drift (& Knuckles)
  • I'll probably drag my friends to Barbie (I love Greta Gerwig and I wanna see Ryan and Simu go full camp)
  • Oppenheimer (I'm a sucker for Nolan)
  • The Marvels (partially because I loved Ms Marvel, partially to piss off my friends who hate Brie Larson (she is neat and I will die on this fucking hill))
  • my dad's gonna wanna see Equalizer 3
  • what the fuck, they're making an Expendables 4??
  • hang on, I need a minute
  • okay I'm back, Dune pt2
  • what the fuck again, they're making another Hunger Games??
  • fuck it, I'm done

Yeah better be quick, too. I doubt those figures will be crawling off the shelves.
The packaging for Samus reminds me of grape soda... yum.

Man, what a potential pain this might be, though. Not only will I have to set foot in a Walmart, but then they may not even have it!

How are you getting through your migraines, @Legion of Primes

And is your sleep still good, @bellydrum

And are you still sus, @Suswave

What else should I ask people here?

Oh yeah, and how goes translation, @jirou

Oh thanks for asking merp, it's been good. Well, I'm awake at 12:30 and considering sneaking down to my kitchen for a midnight snack 'em up, but that's my own doing. Thanks for asking.

How about yours?

Just got done watching the Infernal Affairs trilogy again after like 5 years (and it was my first time seeing part 3) after getting it for Christmas. I still like it more than the Departed, and I really liked the Departed.

Ooh baby heck yeah! You know, if they wanted to get my money, they should do a Captain Falcon…
They should totally put out some of the Nintendo characters they haven't already done figures for! I'm actually not sure why they're doing another Varia Suit Samus, haha. They've already released multiple in the past, including this neat metallic one. I'll buy the new one regardless, though. Just wish maybe they'd do the Light or PED Suits. Something different.

814f5e31-5713-4049-989d-2c8ca507db52_1.41404757adb62c1026429fa0b52890a5.jpeg

That BotW Link is also looking good. Apparently, the previous one had a scuffed face.

They should totally put out some of the Nintendo characters they haven't already done figures for! I'm actually not sure why they're doing another Varia Suit Samus, haha. They've already released multiple in the past, including this neat metallic one. I'll buy the new one regardless, though. Just wish maybe they'd do the Light or PED Suits. Something different.

814f5e31-5713-4049-989d-2c8ca507db52_1.41404757adb62c1026429fa0b52890a5.jpeg

That BotW Link is also looking good. Apparently, the previous one had a scuffed face.
I’m stoked that “Nintendo Action Figures” are a going concern. I hope they go bonkers on more obscure characters.

I've always been eyeing the OLED dock to have as a spare, simply because I still think something is being planned about having an HDMI 2.0 port that can facilitate 4K60 with an update patch to the dock that can unlock it's capabilities. Maybe not for much on the base Switch (regardless of new hardware on the horizon), but theoretically it could allow for 4K streaming from media apps like Netflix/Disney+/Prime/Hulu/Peacock/Paramount+/etc.

$87 CAD was always a hard sell for me...but $62 refurbished to have the ethernet port...that's not too bad a deal, right? Or am I better off getting the Genki Covert Mini Dock that does have a 4K HDMI port and works out to the same price as a brand new OLED dock with shipping? I mean, I travel just often enough that it would make sense to have the portable dock...and then I could just plug it in full time if the Switch does get media streaming until I get a hypothetical Switch 2 dock in 2023+n because it doesn't make too much sense to redo the R&D for a new dock if it just recycles the same capabilities as the OLED dock...

Does any of this make sense? Is this even a dilemma worth having?

Just buy an OLED Switch, sell the old Tablet and Joy Con. Gives you an updated Tablet (new battery). When you buy a special edition like the Splatoon 3 or Pokémon you get 100$ for the Joy Con, old Switches go for 150$, in the end it’s cheaper and you get an additional charger.

I put my old dock in one of the travel third party cases, it’s brilliant on the go.

Awesome, thanks!

I didn't know who exactly would be best to tag but I figured it'd be like at a hardware store where you push a help button and if the person who comes doesn't know about doorknobs they'll certainly find the person who knows about doorknobs and if this is seriously the sort of stream of consciousness that my brain produces then why the hell did yall let me have an ST 🤣😅
New year!

New ST!

New Zelda Tears of the Kingdom Switch OLED!

Awesome, thanks!

I didn't know who exactly would be best to tag but I figured it'd be like at a hardware store where you push a help button and if the person who comes doesn't know about doorknobs they'll certainly find the person who knows about doorknobs and if this is seriously the sort of stream of consciousness that my brain produces then why the hell did yall let me have an ST 🤣😅
I love this analogy, it’s pretty much how my brain operates too :D

Whoa. Definitely gonna need to pick up this Samus! 🎉

Can't believe I left the US before these were on sale, what was I thinking

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

In hindsight, ignoring most of the hardware discussion over the past year was the best decision I made, for my own sanity.
I've actually found it fascinating. Like the actual hardware part of it that people have been discussing is amazing to me.

Of course, the stuff about the evidence that physical chips exist (whether full-scale production has begun or not) and what that implies in terms of timelines according to people very knowledgeable about such things... makes it a bit tough to read all the stuff from people insisting anyone who believed it was coming soon was gullible or dumb or something, so.. yeah. Sanity.

Far more interested in Chocolate Supra’s ruminations on customer service in hardware stores to be honest :D
Okay well now I gotta do this:

anyone who believed it was coming soon was gullible or dumb or something, so.. yeah. Sanity.
Agreed on this. I've not followed it in detail, but I find it fun to give the old brain a whir and speculate and guess at what will happen while avoiding getting particularly emotionally invested in stuff. I find that's a good rule of thumb, but it would also be good if people could avoid mocking people who happened to be wrong on the internet. Shockingly, this happens a lot!

Seriously. I think that you/we avoided a lot of frustration that way.

Now -- can we start talking about my frustrations with the Steam Deck instead?!? :mad:

Sell your Steam Deck and buy a Vita 2 GPD Win 4 instead!

which has its own set of issues, like any piece of hardware, of course

I've actually found it fascinating. Like the actual hardware part of it that people have been discussing is amazing to me.

Of course, the stuff about the evidence that physical chips exist (whether full-scale production has begun or not) and what that implies in terms of timelines according to people very knowledgeable about such things... makes it a bit tough to read all the stuff from people insisting anyone who believed it was coming soon was gullible or dumb or something, so.. yeah. Sanity.

I can believe that all that stuff is interesting but I think mixing it with (potential?) production timelines and rumour mongering invites people into the discussion that aren't primarily interested in the technical side of things and just want new hardware ASAP. Of course, there's little one can do about that and I certainly don't blame the thread regulars for it. It's why I just mostly ignored it.

Fwiw even with all the drama from odd sources in the last few days, combined with today's potential Zelda OLED model leak, I'm still confused by the launch timing for Tears of the Kingdom.

Nintendo shooting such a huge shot six weeks into their financial year, in a month that's historically never featured a major Switch release, is certainly an interesting move. Maybe that's simply the earliest launch date they were confident Zelda could hit without compromising on quality, but it does beg the question of what the remaining 85% of the financial year has in store.

Also it's December 30th 2022 and so my brain is like "you couldn't possibly start a new videogame today, what are you THINKING? It is just TOO LATE in the year to do that"

Happy Friday everyone

Fwiw even with all the drama from odd sources in the last few days, combined with today's potential Zelda OLED model leak, I'm still confused by the launch timing for Tears of the Kingdom.

Nintendo shooting such a huge shot six weeks into their financial year, in a month that's historically never featured a major Switch release, is certainly an interesting move. Maybe that's simply the earliest launch date they were confident Zelda could hit without compromising on quality, but it does beg the question of what the remaining 85% of the financial year has in store.

Maybe just this, use Zelda to sell the OLED to everyone still looking at the old screen, and preparing the software for a big hardware update in 24.

Yeah, the TotK release date has been pretty puzzling to me as well. Depending on the state of the game it made more sense to me to release it in March or hold onto it for the holidays. The weird May release made me wonder if it could line up with new non-SwOLED hardware that just wasn't gonna be ready until then.

I know that there's people who have their reasons for believing in a 2023 release for Drake/Switch 2 but I'm not really expecting it anymore. My current theory is that the Switch 2 will come in early 2024 and they wanted some distance to TotK so they can show it again with some graphical upgrades when the hardware is announced.

Maybe just this, use Zelda to sell the OLED to everyone still looking at the old screen, and preparing the software for a big hardware update in 24.
Maybe, sure.
Yeah, the TotK release date has been pretty puzzling to me as well. Depending on the state of the game it made more sense to me to release it in March or hold onto it for the holidays. The weird May release made me wonder if it could line up with new non-SwOLED hardware that just wasn't gonna be ready until then.

I know that there's people who have their reasons for believing in a 2023 release for Drake/Switch 2 but I'm not really expecting it anymore. My current theory is that the Switch 2 will come in early 2024 and they wanted some distance to TotK so they can show it again with some graphical upgrades when the hardware is announced.
Yeah. I'm not sold on the idea there's no 'major' (what a uselessly ambiguous term) Switch software after Zelda, but that's another factor that makes me wonder what is happening. Zelda in May is so early in the calendar and fiscal year that it can't be the only major product launch; so I do look suspiciously at the second half of the next fiscal year - October 2023 to March 2024 and wonder if, right now, that's a new console window for Nintendo.

Also I just generally wonder what it means for software in the second half of 2023. I'll have plenty to play, I'm sure, but I don't see a scenario where Nintendo turn the taps off and let their major revenue stream dry up.

I’m glad this Zelda OLED leaked so we can avoid hardware speculation for the next Direct thread. The earlier timelines for hardware always felt too soon to me especially after the Mario Kart DLC plan was announced. And yet a Pro version also made sense with all the open world games that were coming out at the time (the Pokemons, Xenoblade, Zelda TK) so I never ruled it out either especially with all of the developments like software kits being out and the big chip leaking.

Perhaps holiday 2023 is the time for new hardware, but I also could see a bunch of games left to release still that could easily fill the year like new Mario games and spinoffs.

Just for me personally, I think the most interesting month coming up for speculation is March which currently only has the Bayonetta spinoff. That seems like a very odd pick to close out the fiscal year by itself since it isn’t destined to sell much. I think there’s another game and I’m personally betting on 2D Mario which I think you could do a fast announcement to release turn around on (which is why I’m Team January at the moment). Excited to see what happens and speculate with y’all extra officially soon in the new thread.

I cannot image Pikmin 4 will release without 4K. So if new hardware is not coming with Zelda, I would launch it in autumn, then Pikmin 4 and a new 2D Mario. That would even excel 2017 for me.

The Skyward Sword joy cons look so much better IMO. Switch 2 is 2024 then. But with what big title? A new Smash?

Fami with only days left of 2022 - This is my new years resolution!

Until some actual news from Nintendo in regards what's next for hardware, I will do my best to not partake in any of the discourse because holy shit it is all of the following: Annoying, boring, toxic, overshadowing some actual good conversation, infuriating. If it's releasing in 2024 or later this is going to be the longest year on gaming social media of all time.

Anyways, this is amazing, I have to play this game real soon.

nothing in my life is good

I am the only person who can change that
The most important thing you can change is how you feel and react to the things that happen around you. That's what I learned in therapy.

I like your new punished raccoon avatar btw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom