• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST15 Dec 2022| The Holidays Are a Time for Fami

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not into Spyro, but tbf, the only truly bad Spyro game is arguably Enter the Dragonfly, as it was rushed and the dev team barely had any time to do the basics of programming (and I'd call it more "broken" than actually bad); Maybe the DS RPG is a little bit wonky, but even the Legend series has its merits and lots of fans as well.

It's due for a new mainline Spyro game, regardless of rumors and semi-concrete evidence.

Woah my preorders of Gaogaigar and Gaiking both shipped a month early (along with project AKO3. This is a pleasant surprise.. Cept they’re going to my folks place 8 hours away

Kirby games at the start
221004-barney-dinosaur-al-1132-c8ea46.jpg

Kirby games at the end
mcdjupa_ec032_h.jpg

But yea, I've heard that their delays are awful.
A lot of their slowness is due to needing to collect pre-orders to know how big a print run to do. Then you have the CE stuff which is custom made, they have to source everything, and again collect pre-orders to know how big an order to do. And in the case of newish releases they usually try to wait for any DLC pipelines to conclude before going to print.

Logistically they absolutely suck at it. Stuff arrives eventually but they’re not an outfit that moves quickly and they’ve definitely tried to grow bigger/faster than they could realistically support. And I’m sure COVID has not done them any favors.

It’s a weird situation because I’ve been extremely lucky with them but I also only order standard editions and try to group my purchases when I can so stuff takes especially long but it reduces the shipping cost (something I think Amazon has absolutely warped people’s expectations about).

Tempted to slip up to the family place for some internet this weekend… Cept then I have to deal with a snow storm in the mountains

So I've got my random enemy spawner working, I've got some much more streamlined interactive objects and effects, and everything is working kinda nicely.

Think I'll make a 3-4 level demo dungeon before I try anything procedural.

What my real life friends are playing on Switch:
-An adventure to collect cute monsters and battle other trainers
-Kart racing with goofy characters
-A board game with fun mini games in between rounds

What I'm playing on Switch:
-Choose to massacre the innocent population or not massacre the innocent population!

The king returns (again) solely to continue dunking on Spyro fans; based tbh.

Also this little tidbit.

Activision should have definitely greenlit a “Spyro 4” based on the sales strength of the Crash and Spyro remasters and Crash 4, but that doesn’t mean they did.

We all know Activision loves sending talented studios with personality into the CoD support studio salt mines.

It’s a weird situation because I’ve been extremely lucky with them but I also only order standard editions and try to group my purchases when I can so stuff takes especially long but it reduces the shipping cost (something I think Amazon has absolutely warped people’s expectations about).

I'm in logistics myself and I totally get what you mean lol.

Activision should have definitely greenlit a “Spyro 4” based on the sales strength of the Crash and Spyro remasters and Crash 4, but that doesn’t mean they did.

We all know Activision loves sending talented studios with personality into the CoD support studio salt mines.
Activision actually had some positive momentum (gaming wise) going with long time fans back in 2018/2019. Crash, Spyro, and Tony Hawk all had positive revivals and the future looked bright.

Then every resource under the sun went towards CoD....

I'm in logistics myself and I totally get what you mean lol.
Their purchase by Embracer was actually something I’m happy about. It’s been clear the founders were in over their heads and getting access to people who are more knowledgeable and experienced ought to help them going forward. I hope.

I got a new cork opener for the loads of wine I got for Christmas.

I opened up a bottle with the opener.

Successfully.

Unfortunately the cork was destroyed.

So now I guess I’m drinking this entire bottle tonight.

Currently playing Reigns: Game of Thrones, and I'm kinda amused at the fact that a game with randomized yes/no choices can concoct better plot lines and story development than the entirety of that show's last season.
Then every resource under the sun went towards CoD....
Now that just isn't fair to Activision... some resources have been used to try to hide sexual harassment scandals instead.

You were previously issued feedback for precisely this. In light of continuing to compare food industries to bigotry, you are being given a one week ban. - Aurc, Derachi, PixelKnight, Red Monster
* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

definitely agree with this stuff. there’s a lot in veganism that is overlooked for being… also really shitty but sidelined for a sense of moral superiority

plus god is it profitable, tons of people can’t fucking afford to “live vegan” and get what they need

not to mention how cutting out a lot of things is a nightmare for people with current or former eating disorders (👉😎👉) and, if you’re somehow perfectly healthy + able + mentally stable, is basically like giving yourself an eating disorder for kicks

like…

mm. this touches on some really heavy shit I’m not sure I should get into

but eating is always more important. food access is always more important. factory farming is super fucked, labor abuse is super fucked, food colonialism is super fucked (see: quinoa), health food culture and 99.9% of diets and fads are super fucked
You seem to be referring to what is commonly called “white veganism”—i.e., fad diet “veganism” that is a product of capitalism and more about “health” than it is ethics. But to suggest that true veganism itself is really shitty is completely misunderstanding what veganism really is. There are also plenty of poor and disabled vegans and vegans with eating disorders or restrictions who would take issue with you saying that veganism is a “nightmare” for them—honestly I know more poor, disabled (and generally very queer) vegans than wealthy, able-bodied ones. Hell, I manage to be vegan just fine despite my severe executive dysfunction making it extremely difficult for me to eat in general. It’s not as difficult when you actually care about it for ethical reasons and make it a priority because you’ll make it work one way or another (and also there are tons of cheap but healthy vegan options—like I said, fucking beans and rice), and also if you absolutely can’t avoid animal products entirely and are just doing the best you can in your situation, that’s still vegan! People need to stop acting like veganism is some elite, exclusionary club when veganism is, by definition, open to everyoneanyone can be vegan, period, so long as you’re excluding animal cruelty and exploitation as far as is possible and practicable, meaning that the extent to which one practices veganism can be different depending on what the individual’s situation allows. Also, veganism has been practiced for literally thousands of years by indigenous cultures around the world; it’s not some new colonial concept—if anything it’s very much the opposite. And yes, labor abuse and food colonialism is super fucked (which are products of capitalism above all else), but animal agriculture does that same shit but even worse. There’s also the fact that we have to grow magnitudes more crops (and use magnitudes more water, land, etc.) to feed the obscene number of animals that we farm to exploit and kill. Don’t blame veganism for issues that aren’t caused by or specific to it at all. All you’re doing is shifting blame from the animal agriculture industry and capitalism, which is…not a great stance to take, y’know? Also, anything else I didn’t explicitly reply to in this post has already been addressed in my other posts in this thread, so I recommend that you read those posts as well if you haven’t already, because I don’t want to keep repeating myself.

Anyway, I’ve spent far too much time and energy replying here (and I’m sure it’ll just end up being essentially shouting into the void, anyway), so I’ll leave this as my final word on the subject for now (and probably for the foreseeable future, as once again this place proves that you can’t fucking talk about veganism without people losing their shit and putting their cognitive dissonance on full display):

(Mod Edit: Image containing NSFW word removed)
(Mod Edit: added ‘hide’ tags to a response to quoted hidden text)

What my real life friends are playing on Switch:
-An adventure to collect cute monsters and battle other trainers
-Kart racing with goofy characters
-A board game with fun mini games in between rounds

What I'm playing on Switch:
-Choose to massacre the innocent population or not massacre the innocent population!
You’re playing Kirby?

Spyro and Ratchet & Clank are iconic to me. Insomniac have always been among my favorite devs. No interest in the Resistance series, though. Tbh, they looked somewhat like generic alien shooters to me, which didn't exactly pique my curiosity, but I hear the third one is pretty solid.

Really excited for Spider-Man 2!

What are your thoughts on Donkey Kong? I've started having my doubts on the rumors over the last year or so, since it seemed like the main person talking about an upcoming DK game was Zippo, but I know you tend to have a pretty good idea of hiring and EPD projects
I'm still of the belief that EPD Tokyo's 2D Action Game hiring is for DK; but i'll start to lose faith if nothing surfaces before the DK theme park opens in Japan in 2024.

I'd very much like to know what word this was

edit: though I guess it shouldn't be reposted, huh

carry on I suppose
It was the word “vagina” used in a vegan meme, which I’ll say again despite the mod’s edit because it’s absurd that it was removed for being an “NSFW” word in the first place when I’ve seen the word “penis” or other words referring to it plenty of times here. There’s nothing fucking NSFW about the word “vagina” itself used in a fucking meme that has nothing to do about vaginas in the first place—that’s the joke. What the hell is up with that edit? What exactly warranted that?!

EDIT: Here’s a description of the image, because I still can’t believe it was fucking removed for being “NSFW”:

An image with the following text:

“Yeah, I like VAGINA:

Veganism is not
A
G
oddamn diet,
It’s a radical political stance against oppression that
Nonvegan leftists should understand and practice themselves, too.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa“

The first letter of each line spells out “VAGINA” vertically along the left side of the image. The font used is based on the classic Kirby games, and some Kirby characters are present in the image, including Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede, and Kracko.

It was the word “vagina” used in a vegan meme, which I’ll say again despite the mod’s edit because it’s absurd that it was removed for being an “NSFW” word in the first place when I’ve seen the word “penis” or other words referring to it plenty of times here. There’s nothing fucking NSFW about the word “vagina” itself used in a fucking meme that has nothing to do about vaginas in the first place—that’s the joke. What the hell is up with that edit? What exactly warranted that?!
I'm not part of the deliberation on the moderation process, but my guess would be that vagina is not a NSFW word, but when it is in bright pink letters juxtaposed against Kirby characters and clearly intended for shock value, then it becomes NSFW.

yeahing feels glib so thank you for letting me know. I kind of expected worse lol

Quoted by: Tye
I'm not part of the deliberation on the moderation process, but my guess would be that vagina is not a NSFW word, but when it is in bright pink letters juxtaposed against Kirby characters and clearly intended for shock value, then it becomes NSFW.
Well then they certainly gave a fucking misleading reason for removing it, didn’t they? And even so, that’s still ridiculous. There’s nothing NSFW about it and I’ve seen worse posted here without issue before.

yeahing feels glib so thank you for letting me know. I kind of expected worse lol
Here’s a description of the image if you missed my edit above:

An image with the following text:

“Yeah, I like VAGINA:

Veganism is not
A
G
oddamn diet,
It’s a radical political stance against oppression that
Nonvegan leftists should understand and practice themselves, too.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa“

The first letter of each line spells out “VAGINA” vertically along the left side of the image. The font used is based on the classic Kirby games, and some Kirby characters are present in the image, including Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede, and Kracko.

It was just a fucking silly meme, not NSFW in the slightest.

Last edited:
@Tye, if I put some text in HIDE and you quote it, please leave it in HIDE, thanks.

As for this thread, goodbye! Thanks to everyone for those 112 (maybe a bit more by the time it’s closed) pages and once again to @Red Monster for being the OP! See you for the Team January Vindication thread

Got my kit setup to start later. Moderoid is interesting, the color separation is a touch better than Kotobukiya but while still behind Bandai they make up for it by pre painting the higher level stuff instead of using stickers. Only stickers are the reflectors. Hm maybe I should check for my chrome marker

IMG_6314.jpg

Got my kit setup to start later. Moderoid is interesting, the color separation is a touch better than Kotobukiya but while still behind Bandai they make up for it by pre painting the higher level stuff instead of using stickers. Only stickers are the reflectors. Hm maybe I should check for my chrome marker

IMG_6314.jpg
This is cool. I really admire people making miniatures. I always wanted a Gundam kit to assemble but I'm so nervous about it and impatient too lol. Not a good combination for this I think :)

This is cool. I really admire people making miniatures. I always wanted a Gundam kit to assemble but I'm so nervous about it and impatient too lol. Not a good combination for this I think :)
Gundam kits can be as cheap as the $10-20 range are super easy. Give it a shot, all you need is a pair of hobby nippers. And they don’t take too long either in High Grade. Just order the latest standard RX-78-02 and give it a go

IMG_6314.jpg
I literally just assembled the Zenkaioh JuraGaon minipla kit my girlfriend got me for Christmas!

I literally just assembled the Zenkaioh JuraGaon minipla kit my girlfriend got me for Christmas!
Nice, this is my first moderoid (tho I have 5 more in the backlog and a couple preordered) so I’m curious to see how the build holds up

i can’t believe the ending of ff10 made me get a big lump in my throat

when yuna was whistling on the pier, big sobs. also i didn’t expect tidus’s ending to be so damn tragic. it was gonna happen but woof. poor guy.

Well then they certainly gave a fucking misleading reason for removing it, didn’t they? And even so, that’s still ridiculous. There’s nothing NSFW about it and I’ve seen worse posted here without issue before.
Hey Tye. Sometimes, in the interest of responding to time sensitive matters (in this case, the removal of an nsfw image), we'll make our edits swiftly, without deeper consideration for the wording used. Our first priority is the removal of the content in question. Despite this, you're always welcome to DM a moderator, and request a more in-depth explanation for the course of action we took. We'd ask that in the future, you please go that route, without seeking to cause further disruption in the thread itself.

As for the image we removed, we believe WestEgg accurately presented our reasoning:
We're looking to be considerate of those who happen to be browsing Fami at work, in public places, and so on. To clarify: the word "vagina" is of course not viewed by the team as nsfw, or in violation of site guidelines, but rather, the image in question was.

Upon your return, we'd ask that you please frame your points and arguments in a way that advocates for your perspective without drawing inflammatory comparisons to bigotry. If you'd like to educate others about veganism, or simply discuss it with like-minded members in the appropriate place, we welcome and encourage you to create a dedicated ST. Thank you.

You can just declare it here, feel free to tag one if you like

Josh is very expensive so I don't recommend tagging him
Well since the OP of this thread happens to be a mod...

@Red Monster

9wCeygM.jpg

I'm gonna go ahead and commit to posting ST16 at 1/1/2023 at 12:00am GMT, which should be 4pm PT, 7pm ET on 12/31, I think. If this online converter isn't lying to me. I dunno where everyone is timezone-wise so I hope that's a decent enough time for a handover.

@Red Monster

9wCeygM.jpg

I'm gonna go ahead and commit to posting ST16 at 1/1/2023 at 12:00am GMT, which should be 4pm PT, 7pm ET on 12/31, I think. If this online converter isn't lying to me. I dunno where everyone is timezone-wise so I hope that's a decent enough time for a handover.
I personally will most likely be unavailable at that time, but I’ll let the team know!

I personally will most likely be unavailable at that time, but I’ll let the team know!
Awesome, thanks!

I didn't know who exactly would be best to tag but I figured it'd be like at a hardware store where you push a help button and if the person who comes doesn't know about doorknobs they'll certainly find the person who knows about doorknobs and if this is seriously the sort of stream of consciousness that my brain produces then why the hell did yall let me have an ST 🤣😅

Awesome, thanks!

I didn't know who exactly would be best to tag but I figured it'd be like at a hardware store where you push a help button and if the person who comes doesn't know about doorknobs they'll certainly find the person who knows about doorknobs and if this is seriously the sort of stream of consciousness that my brain produces then why the hell did yall let me have an ST 🤣😅
Me and Josh should be around, so just tag us both, and one of us will beat the other to it.

(Also, this exact stream of consciousness of yours is the reason we need your ST)

Awesome, thanks!

For future reference, Aurc knows more about doorknobs. I am the yard sign guy.

Merp's Labor Movement News Round-up

1. Starbucks’s Refusal to Bargain With 21 Stores Is Illegal, NLRB Says

This is the first time the NLRB has filed a complaint over the company’s refusal to bargain with multiple stores.

2. Corporate Culture is a Barrier to Labor Organizing in the Video Game Industry

Current and former video game workers detail a longstanding culture of sexual harassment, exploitation, and retaliation

3. Ohio minimum wager workers to see increase for 2023

CINCINNATI (WKRC) - Ohio's minimum wage is going up in the new year. Starting on January 1, the minimum wage will jump to $10.10/hour, an 80-cent increase from where it is now.

Right now, non-tipped employees make $9.30 per hour and tipped employees make $4.65 per hour. Starting on January 1, tipped employees will make $5.05.

According to the Ohio Department of Commerce, the minimum wage will apply to employees of businesses with an annual gross receipt of $372,000 or more per year.

If that company doesn't make that much, it is required to pay its employees $7.25 an hour, the federal minimum wage.

4. Child poverty rates highest in states that haven’t raised minimum wage

Of the 20 states that have failed to raise the minimum wage above the federal $7.25 an hour standard, 16 have more than 12% of their children living in poverty, according to a States Newsroom analysis of wage and poverty data. Anti-poverty advocates say that’s a sign that there’s an urgent need for lawmakers to increase the federal minimum wage and do more to help struggling families.

Congress had the opportunity to achieve the latter by expanding the child tax credit before the end of the year, but lawmakers did not arrive at a deal with Republicans to include it in the omnibus spending package. The expansion, which was part of the American Rescue Plan, provided as much as $3,600 in monthly installments to qualifying families and is credited with lifting 3.7 million children out of poverty at least temporarily.

Raising the minimum wage would not lead to as fast or drastic an improvement, but a 2019 Congressional Budget Office analysis found that increasing the amount to $15 an hour would lift more than 500,000 children from poverty. And the Economic Policy Institute estimated in 2021 that if Congress passed a bill raising the minimum wage to $15 by 2025, up to 3.7 million people wouldn’t have to live in poverty — 1.3 million of those being children.

5. Union wins made big news this year. Here are 5 reasons why it's not the full story

This year, a rare burst of union momentum produced some major victories – along with some losses and significant fights with employers.

Starbucks and Amazon were far from alone facing major union drives. As unemployment remained low and wages grew, workers in education and healthcare, food service and retail continued the pandemic-era push for higher pay, better sick leave and other changes to their working conditions. But tangible results are hard to quantify — so far. 2023 may tell us a lot more about the durability and clout of the resurgent labor movement.

Here's some of what happened this year.

Ask me what news you're looking for and I can scout for some and cobble them together every now and then. 😁

That’s near future down in Live A Live. Was basically a mini mecha anime. That Kageyama theme was so good. Now which route should I do next… any thoughts?

(Well after dinner)
i can’t believe the ending of ff10 made me get a big lump in my throat

when yuna was whistling on the pier, big sobs. also i didn’t expect tidus’s ending to be so damn tragic. it was gonna happen but woof. poor guy.
This is in my backlog

We're looking to be considerate of those who happen to be browsing Fami at work, in public places, and so on. To clarify: the word "vagina" is of course not viewed by the team as nsfw, or in violation of site guidelines, but rather, the image in question was.
This is off-topic, but I've always found it funny how NSFW has basically become synonymous with sexual imagery. By definition, shouldn't NSFW cover anything that would make your boss give you side eye or worse? Obviously that's dependent on the industry you work in. For me, Famiboards itself (or anything gaming related) counts as NSFW. That's obviously not the case for someone working in the gaming industry. Similarly, for someone working in the porn industry, porn would not be NSFW lol

Awesome, thanks!

I would say once you've posted your ST just report the old one. All mods and admins can see reports so they can have a lil fight to see who gets to take care of it

You know, Nintendo could shadow drop Goldeneye tomorrow.....
hawk-eye-dont-give-me-hope.gif

You know, I would actually watch a Harley Quinn and Joker romcom.

This had me in stitches goddamn lmfaooo

@Red Monster

9wCeygM.jpg

Ayo I am gonna reuse this when the end of February approaches ahaha

I got a new cork opener for the loads of wine I got for Christmas.

I opened up a bottle with the opener.

Successfully.

Unfortunately the cork was destroyed.

So now I guess I’m drinking this entire bottle tonight.
You don't have a wine stopper? We have a drawer full of them. They're very cheap and useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom