• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST15 Dec 2022| The Holidays Are a Time for Fami

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have some ideas for a name of Direct speculation thread?

I have some good candidates but would love to see some community ideas too.
Direct Speculation ST January 2023: This Time for Sure

Direct Speculation ST January 2023: But it Might Work for Us

(both regarding there being a Direct in January less than an actual Direct Spec topic that'll last longer than that, so not sure on them as titles really)

Should resistance be a flat damage percentage reduction (capped at like 90%) or should it be a flat damage value reduction (uncapped) i.e. 80 fire resistance negates 80 points of fire damage?

Or some weird hybrid of the two?

@chocolate_supra

9/9 is for you.

Should resistance be a flat damage percentage reduction (capped at like 90%) or should it be a flat damage value reduction (uncapped) i.e. 80 fire resistance negates 80 points of fire damage?

My thought process is that ensuring percentage based reduction rather than flat value means that a battle won't be locked in a stalemate if no damage is ever delivered, so at least even 1 or 2 hit points of damage are always knocked off after every attack.

@chocolate_supra

9/9 is for you.

My thought process is that ensuring percentage based reduction rather than flat value means that a battle won't be locked in a stalemate if no damage is ever delivered, so at least even 1 or 2 hit points of damage are always knocked off after every attack.

Yeah that's why I'm favoring that too. Especially because most enemies in the game only have one attack type. It feels arbitrary and limiting to cap the resistance though.

But I'm not sure in my circumstances there's a better option. Games like Divinity OS2 let you go above 100% resistance which lets you regain health from attacks of those types, but most enemies can do lots of different damage types in that game. I'm going for something way simpler.

I am really looking forward to the next few months of releases on switch. Might be the most excited for H1 I've ever been! FE Engage, Kirby, TRAILS TO AZURE (I'm a big JRPG guy,  especially with Trails), and culminating everything with Tears of the Kingdom.

Then there's still the second half of the year after that! I'm not going to try and hype 2023 up as the best gaming year ever since personal opinions/taste will vary, and also because we don't know how the full schedule will play out yet. Still, things are setting up very nicely for me on all the platforms that I use.

As exciting as the future sounds, however, I'm going to do my best to enjoy the present... especially since I don't have to go back to work until next week.

Yeah that's why I'm favoring that too. Especially because most enemies in the game only have one attack type. It feels arbitrary and limiting to cap the resistance though.

But I'm not sure in my circumstances there's a better option. Games like Divinity OS2 let you go above 100% resistance which lets you regain health from attacks of those types, but most enemies can do lots of different damage types in that game. I'm going for something way simpler.
In my instance I'm thinking to something like Pokemon and their attack battle systems. You can have a level # Rattata go up against a level 100 Onix - even if Normal type attacks like Quick Attack do half damage against a rock type, even if perfect EVs and IVs defense stat are employed for Onix, it's still gonna do that one point of damage. It may be a battle of attrition whittling down HP until it has to start using struggle, but at least it's not a complete gridlock where the battle never ends unless you force restart the game from your last save file

I just did the Raphael the Raven battle, speaking of bangers. The cinematic and musical build up during the intro, leading to the big surprise where the whole world and sky are rotating around, and just the absolute rock of the boss theme, it's sooo good.

This whole game is amazing. I don't understand why they don't make another Yoshi game with this sort of intensity. Even the new Kirby has more hype moments than Crafted World.

Edit: Actually here's a belated Festivus grievance: Nintendo! Give Yoshi his edge back!! Yall have the creative art styles down to a science, now increase his running speed, make the levels more athletic, and bring back the killer music!!
Not that they're aren't already busy with Mario (and supposedly Donkey Kong), but given that 3D Mario inherited a lot of the Yoshi's Island DNA (and we've had a playable Yoshi in 2 of their games), I wonder how EPD8 would handle a full Yoshi game...

Fire Emblem Engage looks too good.

We need a Switch Amateur pronto
We already had a Switch Amateur:

GuZY6yS_d.webp

Percentage, definitely

Metroid fans after waiting 10 years for the best game ever made:

giphy.gif

Star Fox fans after waiting 10 years for the worst game ever made:

giphy.gif

I really don't know how to get through all these games before next year's onslaught. And it's starting in January already holyshitwhatshouldIdo

Like, there's no way I'm even going to finish one of these nine remaining games before P3P, P4G, and Fire Emblem Engage release.

I don't wanna shitpost up the Hardware Thread so I'm coming back here with my goofiness, and I'm genuinely fine, don't worry, but I gotta say
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Finally beat that hard map in Tactics Ogre by bum rushing the enemy commander. Completed this week's story in Destiny 2. Think I'm gonna eat some left over chinese food and watch Chainsaw Man (if it's out) and then hop into Star Ocean 6 to fight against an annoying boss.

Percentage, definitely
Yeah it's kinda silly to do a value reduction.

I'm working on finalizing all of my passive skills bonuses and boy there are a lot of damage reduction possibilities. Armor, armor bonuses from buffs, armor bonus from skills (master shield/grandmaster sword, etc), armor bonuses from dodge, dodge chance, block chance, parry chance, resistances... It's kind of amazing that computers are able to do these calculations instantly and like several times a second.

It's starting to hurt my eyes though.

I've heard people say that switch evangelizing was annoying (wasn't around for that tho) but i refuse to believe that it was as annoying as steam deck evangelizing.

2023 is ostensibly dead

probably not a big deal to anyone who didn't follow the thread but it was a huge blow
Thanks. I'll try to read that thread later. Most of the content in there flies over my head, so I don't keep up with it much, but this sounds like an interesting development.

Nah, that's not at all what's going on.

What's going on is a huge mess of confusion and people dunking on others extremely prematurely.
let me rephrase

the device described by natedrake to be targeting late 2022 to early 2023 is said by him to have been shelved

let me rephrase

the device described by natedrake to be targeting late 2022 to early 2023 is said by him to have been shelved
He also said that device was not using the Drake chip, the chip explicitly tied to Nintendo which is currently in production.

Hence the massive, massive confusion happening.

I'm sorry folks. It was me. I killed off the upgraded Switch. I bought my sister an OLED for Christmas and that one extra sale was enough to convince Nintendo that a hardware refresh wasn't necessary for 2023.
I sent a fax to my uncle after you bought it. Said you crushed little Johnny’s dream of a switch. Uncle said we must increase production of the normal mode because demand is obviously so strong.

I dislike musicals and am not really a Dahl-fan (except Tales of the Unexpected), but can I say this choreography and musical score in the new Matilda: The Musical adaptation is really, really good? I am really impressed:

welp, at least I still have Pikmin 4

...for now. that could very well be delayed too. probably not shelved, though.

My 2023 is full of backlog and new releases. I'm good next year. The year after that? New hardware would be nice. More for those who otherwise keep moaning about it then that I really want some new hardware though.

I totally get the concern, but if 2023 has the games, hardware isn’t a big deal
Second half of the year is still a mystery though. Both on first and third party fronts. But it'll safe to say we'll get plenty of late-ports, re-releases of anicent games and even few new stuff. Only things that'll be missing will be the "miracle ports", stuff like The Witcher or Doom. Such games will be saved for the next hardware now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom