• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST14 Nov 2022| Comfy And Easy To Wear

• Thread starter Deleted member 2
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the best of the year list posting, I realize that I basically never play new games the year they come out (or at least not for months after) with exception of the big Nintendo games that don’t go on sale for years. I think my goal next year will be to make some monthly LTTP threads to talk about the games I’m playing, since I am usually too late for the specific STs to contribute.

Ya know what
For those who haven't seen it (probably a lot of yall), this is seriously the hypest intro of the entire Sonic series:

I love this game so fucking much

With Pokemon releasing this Friday, I think I am just gonna switch to a holiday media blackout sooner this year. Outside of people talking about how the switch is dying, there is nothing new in the horizon. I might do some light traveling and enjoy this site's worst enemy: playing games.

Right now my top 5 would be:

1) Xenoblade Chronicles 3
2) Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak
3) Kirby & the Forgotten Land
4) Triangle Strategy
5) Bayonetta 3

Yet to play Sparks of Hope and I'm hoping to play Tunic before the year is out. If I really gel with Tunic, that might grab a spot.

Think I'll do a Game of the Year MisterSpo awards ceremony next month, featuring categories like Cuss of the Year and Biceps of the Year.

I honestly didn't play too many big new games this year. I played Legends Arceus, Kirby, Shredder's Revenge, and Splatoon 3. I plan on playing Pokemon Scarlet, I own LIVE A LIVE, will eventually try Mario & Rabbids 2 and Sonic Frontiers, but not much else appealed to me this year. This was the year of big strategy games on Switch and big AAA games elsewhere, and that's not as much my speed. No Elden Ring, no big Sony exclusives, no Bayo 3 or Xenoblade 3. I don't know if I can reasonably come up with a top five games this year, but I feel like Shredder's Revenge and Splatoon 3 would top it? Says a lot about what I played and didn't play.

Instead I played a lot of fan games and older stuff. Sonic Origins, Pac-Man Museum+ and Pac-Man World Re-Pac, Battle for Bikini Bottom Rehydrated (thanks, PS+), lots of Mario World hacks, an excellent Pokemon FireRed hack, and my current replay of Odyssey. And that's been pretty fun!

Ok, I'll do mine:

1- Kirby and the Forgotten Land
2- Bayonetta 3
3- Return to Monkey Island
4- Two Point Campus
5- Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Hmm doesn't seem enough. I should do the rest of the top 10:

6- God of War Ragnarok (okay, I can't stand the setting but damn, this is a legit good game)
7- TMNT Shredder's Revenge
8- TLoH: Trails to Zero
9- Triangle Strategy
10- AI Somnium Files - nirvanA Initiative

The years not ended yet, there are two months still. I expect Scarlet/Violet and DQ Treasures to crack into the list soon.

From what I've played this year:

1. Elden Ring
2. Bayonetta 3
3. Kirby
4. Splatoon 3
5. Sunbreak

I’ve only beaten 3 games this year. (Maybe more? The year is a blur right now)

Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Final Fantasy VII intermission (Yuffie)
Yugioh Legacy of the Dualist.

I enjoyed 2 very much.

Intermission was Mediocre and not really fun.

I’ve only beaten 3 games this year. (Maybe more? The year is a blur right now)

Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Final Fantasy VII intermission (Yuffie)
Yugioh Legacy of the Dualist.

I enjoyed 2 very much.

Intermission was Mediocre and not really fun.

If this was a decade ago, additional content for a FF VII Remake would have been an absolute system seller for me alone. Nowadays I'm pretty lukewarm on the mainline Final Fantasy games. If I get a PS5, I'm sure I'll replay FF VII Remake and Yuffie DLC. I enjoyed the game on PS4 fine enough but it didn't wow me.

Just needed to give a shout out to the nonsensical posts since they bring a smile to my face.
I appreciate it. Believe it or not though I turned off the Famicoins counter as soon as the option was available :p just not a huge fan of anything resembling achievements (but at the same time I don't want to spoil the fun for those who like them, so I don't mention it much) Edit: I do have tags, but that's mostly cuz I want to decorate my profile/posts with anything related to the games I like rather than to show off

Speaking of GOTYs, we got anything spicy going on this year for Famiboards? 👀
I have a more introspective / navel-gazey thread in mind for those of us who aren’t as interested in ranking things. I’ll probably be drafting it up over the holiday break since it’s been kicking around my head for at least a month now.

[tweet]

Keen to know what improvements the Switch version is getting, maybe it will get the gameplay mods being introduced?

chris-farley-tommy.gif

If this was a decade ago, additional content for a FF VII Remake would have been an absolute system seller for me alone. Nowadays I'm pretty lukewarm on the mainline Final Fantasy games. If I get a PS5, I'm sure I'll replay FF VII Remake and Yuffie DLC. I enjoyed the game on PS4 fine enough but it didn't wow me.
i honestly found Remake VII to have very poor re-playability. It’s so slow and too many forced sections that the game rips control.

Intermission has the same issues and the same bad level design. Can’t say the combat is “better” either. Same structure but a different character. I found Tifa the most fun character to play as. The writing for both is nothing special either.

Final Fantasy XVI really ain’t doing anything for me. But Octopath 2 is getting me excited lol. I’m hoping that FFIX rumor is true. I’ve never gotten a chance to play it and looks more my style of final fantasy.

I appreciate it. Believe it or not though I turned off the Famicoins counter as soon as the option was available :p just not a huge fan of anything resembling achievements (but at the same time I don't want to spoil the fun for those who like them, so I don't mention it much) Edit: I do have tags, but that's mostly cuz I want to decorate my profile/posts with anything related to the games I like rather than to show off
How dare you be so humble on the Internet™

I don't think I've even played five 2022 games. Lemme go through a release calendar..
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land
  • Xenoblade 3
  • Sonic Origins
is all I've played this year as far as releasing in 2022. 😅

And I dunno if Origins even counts since it's a compilation of 90s games that I initially played when they came out.

The only thing I care about The Game Awards this year... 🍕

0563cbc6485f4a6834ca389b4cbb61f6dac02596_hq.gif

Also helps that we had actual confirmation of an announcement there; so it's not just blind hope this time around. As soon the announcement is made, I'm closing the stream ;P

I don't think I've even played five 2022 games. Lemme go through a release calendar..
  • Xenoblade 3
  • Sonic Origins
is all I've played this year as far as releasing in 2022. 😅

And I dunno if Origins even counts since it's a compilation of 90s games that I initially played when they came out.
Hmmm, I'm not sure I actually completed five 2022 games. Let's see…
  • Elden Ring — not completed
  • Triangle Strategy — check
  • 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (Switch) — not completed
  • Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes — not completed
  • Live A Live — check
  • Bayonetta 3 — check
  • Tactics Ogre: Reborn — ongoing
Yup, pretty sure that's it. I played and completed a ton of non 2022 games this year, though.

i honestly found Remake VII to have very poor re-playability. It’s so slow and too many forced sections that the game rips control.

Intermission has the same issues and the same bad level design. Can’t say the combat is “better” either. Same structure but a different character. I found Tifa the most fun character to play as. The writing for both is nothing special either.

Final Fantasy XVI really ain’t doing anything for me. But Octopath 2 is getting me excited lol. I’m hoping that FFIX rumor is true. I’ve never gotten a chance to play it and looks more my style of final fantasy.

I definitely recommend IX even without a remake. The original on PS1 was definitely pushing the system to its limits so it could feel slow at parts but I think the ports to modern systems help that out. It's a great adventure with many of things people like about the NES and SNES Final Fantasy games while also providing an amazing world to explore.

I have a question for everyone. What makes Elden Ring an RPG? Genuine question. It's not a game I'll play because I don't like the Souls games. I'm looking to see if what I think an RPG is is not actually what an RPG is, or if it ever was. For instance, I don't think the Zelda games are RPG's. I think they are adventure games. Same with games like the Witcher or Darksiders.

I have a question for everyone. What makes Elden Ring an RPG? Genuine question. It's not a game I'll play because I don't like the Souls games. I'm looking to see if what I think an RPG is is not actually what an RPG is, or if it ever was. For instance, I don't think the Zelda games are RPG's. I think they are adventure games. Same with games like the Witcher or Darksiders.
Elden Ring/Souls games in general have your character accumulate XP, which you can then allocate to increase the stats of your character in any way you choose. Which to me is enough to make them RPGs in the broadest possible terms.

The only thing I care about The Game Awards this year... 🍕

0563cbc6485f4a6834ca389b4cbb61f6dac02596_hq.gif

Also helps that we had actual confirmation of an announcement there; so it's not just blind hope this time around. As soon the announcement is made, I'm closing the stream ;P
It's terrifying to think that it could be the last Crash Bandicoot game. The series is as good as dead under the Microsoft ownership. Phil needs to consider selling Crash & Spyro if they're not planning to use them.

It's terrifying to think that it could be the last Crash Bandicoot game. The series is as good as dead under the Microsoft ownership. Phil needs to consider selling Crash & Spyro if they're not planning to use them.

I'd put money on Toys for Bob working on new Crash and Spyro games under Microsoft. Kid friendly games are a huge gap in their lineup, Phil himself has said so.

My Top 5 of 2022 is:

1. Baba Is You.
  2. A Link Between Worlds.
  3. 999.
  4. Xenoblade Chronicles DE.
  5. Doom 2016.

What do you mean they didn't release in 2022? I played them in 2022 and that's all that counts!

... I swear I'll pay an actual 2022 game someday, maybe in 2023.

Nintendo puts Wave Race on Switch. Switch sales drop compared to a year ago. Coincidence?!
I expected this to happen less than 5 seconds into Wave Race 64. That's simply what happens when you don't announce a new one. Nintendo's future looks bleak and I can't blame anyone for losing confidence in their ecosystem as long as they don't commit to a new Wave Race on Drake.

I return to PT tomorrow. Sorry if my posting has been slow lately

I do hope once my hand is fully better, I’m motivated to post more.

I will say I’m gonna experiment with more serious games games after this week since I’m making progress with the hand. Starting with finishing the Halloween challenge, resident evil 3

I'd put money on Toys for Bob working on new Crash and Spyro games under Microsoft. Kid friendly games are a huge gap in their lineup, Phil himself has said so.
I mean, they have the most perfect colorful franchise they could ask and that one actually has the power of having Nintendo fans buy Xbox consoles: Banjo. If they're not using them, Crash is even longer shot.

What they'll do with Activision depends on MS's future strategy for Xbox. Did they really spend 70 billion dollars to have few more Xbox consoles sold? Or Xbox is posed to turn into a third party publisher after this generation? Because in second scenario, Crash has a chance to live.

Nah, if anything, with Psychonauts already under their wings, being very well recieved and all that, Microsoft sees value on platformers.. and Nate did report that a Banjo project of sorts is in the works. I'm sure MS will let TfB do whatever are their expertise, so Crash and Spyro games will keep coming, as long they're reasonably profitable.

Also, I don't think anyone is betting on Wumpa League to be a game that will decide the fate of the series either; it's just a stop-gap between mainline games.

Let the Call of Duty machine be for the other studios.

My Top 5 of 2022 is:

1. Baba Is You.
  2. A Link Between Worlds.
  3. 999.
  4. Xenoblade Chronicles DE.
  5. Doom 2016.

What do you mean they didn't release in 2022? I played them in 2022 and that's all that counts!

... I swear I'll pay an actual 2022 game someday, maybe in 2023.
I approve of this list. People who put new games on their GOTY lists are cringe and are getting swept up in the hype. I'm only now getting ready to think properly about the best new game released in 2017.

I approve of this list. People who put new games on their GOTY lists are cringe and are getting swept up in the hype. I'm only now getting ready to think properly about the best new game released in 2017.
For 2022 I decided I'd finally tackle my backlog and it's been great, I had some awesome games just collecting dust there!

I do really want to play Forgotten Land and Xenoblade 3 someday, but that's what the futurelog's for.

Okay I'm gonna cheat

I did play Nier Automata this year, but it was the Xbox version that's been out since 2018. But since Automata is a 2022 game to a lot of Fami, I'm counting it so I can do a good Top 3 for 2022:
  • Nier Automata
  • Xenoblade 3
Yes, I put Automata over Xenoblade 3. It broke my brain, which is what I want out of a JRPG and XB3 just didn't. That put it over the edge for me. I'm still thinking about Nier lore, whereas when I think back about Xenoblade I'm thinking of 1 and X instead of 3.

Please make more breaky-brainy console games Yoko Taro, and I will continue to participate in capitalism while using your products to pretend I am somehow above it ❤️

I mean, they have the most perfect colorful franchise they could ask and that one actually has the power of having Nintendo fans buy Xbox consoles: Banjo. If they're not using them, Crash is even longer shot.

What they'll do with Activision depends on MS's future strategy for Xbox. Did they really spend 70 billion dollars to have few more Xbox consoles sold? Or Xbox is posed to turn into a third party publisher after this generation? Because in second scenario, Crash has a chance to live.

Microsoft didn't buy Bethesda and isn't buying Activision-Blizzard to get out of the console business. That's silly. They are playing a much longer game than Sony or Nintendo.

My top five out of the stuff I’ve managed to play this year give my situation this year has been
Xenoblade chronicles 2
Chrono trigger
Kirby and the forgotten land
Pokémon legends arceus
Horizon forbidden west

Xenoblade 2 is the clear winner but I may need @chocolate_supra to convince me other wise

I'm not planning on buying any more games this year (Nier Automata is still on my backlog, but well), so XC3 is my game of the year by far, but this was also the year i became a FE fan, after finishing both Three Houses and Awakening. There was also Arceus, Kirby, also played and finished Celeste for the first time, and finished Bayo 1 and 2... It was an awesome year in terms of gaming

My top five out of the stuff I’ve managed to play this year give my situation this year has been
Xenoblade chronicles 2
Chrono trigger
Kirby and the forgotten land
Pokémon legends arceus
Horizon forbidden west

Xenoblade 2 is the clear winner but I may need @chocolate_supra to convince me other wise
I ain't arguing with that. XB2 hit some of the same notes that I loved about CT, which caused me to look into the history of Monolith and that's how I found a lot of the Chrono team are the same people who made Xenogears and then split off to form Monolith. XB has some CT DNA, and as far as I'm concerned it's Chrono's successor series. So as much as I stan Chrono Trigger as the GOAT, I'll accept any Xeno entry as an acceptable interchange.

Nah, if anything, with Psychonauts already under their wings, being very well recieved and all that, Microsoft sees value on platformers.. and Nate did report that a Banjo project of sorts is in the works. I'm sure MS will let TfB do whatever are their expertise, so Crash and Spyro games will keep coming, as long they're reasonably profitable.

Also, I don't think anyone is betting on Wumpa League to be a game that will decide the fate of the series either; it's just a stop-gap between mainline games.

Let the Call of Duty machine be for the other studios.
Psychonauts is a bad example though, the game has been development long before Double Fine's acquisition. Whether MS will continue to greenlight games in the series is up in the air. We haven't seen any DF project that's completely funded by MS yet. We're waiting. I want to see actual proof that they're serious in platforming business. I want to see if that Banjo rumor is true. I want to see them treat their current IP's with respect first.
Microsoft didn't buy Bethesda and isn't buying Activision-Blizzard to get out of the console business. That's silly. They are playing a much longer game than Sony or Nintendo.
Well, they're not playing the game right then. All of their lineup have day and date PC releases. If their intention is to keep their IP's exclusive, that will make PC even bigger platform, not Xbox.

But Phil said they see CoD as a Minecraft type of franchise, that they want to see it everywhere. I would not be surprised if he thinks the same for other Acti franchises. Playstation is the home to both Crash and Spyro, I think he'll make sure those franchises stay with its fans. IF they decide to keep them alive.

Well, they're not playing the game right then. All of their lineup have day and date PC releases. If their intention is to keep their IP's exclusive, that will make PC even bigger platform, not Xbox.

But Phil said they see CoD as a Minecraft type of franchise, that they want to see it everywhere. I would not be surprised if he thinks the same for other Acti franchises. Playstation is the home to both Crash and Spyro, I think he'll make sure those franchises stay with its fans. IF they decide to keep them alive.

Their games have day and date releases on Windows, which they own. And you can't compare Crash and Spyro to Call of Duty and Minecraft.

I ain't arguing with that. XB2 hit some of the same notes that I loved about CT, which caused me to look into the history of Monolith and that's how I found a lot of the Chrono team are the same people who made Xenogears and then split off to form Monolith. XB has some CT DNA, and as far as I'm concerned it's Chrono's successor series. So as much as I stan Chrono Trigger as the GOAT, I'll accept any Xeno entry as an acceptable interchange.
Learn something new every day. I’ll take that. Xenoblade definitely belongs on my top ten list for sure. I hope to get to 3 once I’m fully done with this hand nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom