• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST14 Nov 2022| Comfy And Easy To Wear

• Thread starter Deleted member 2
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Been seeing some people say things like “it’s sad they gotta prop up a major IP to pay the bills” but to me it seems like most anime studios love Star Wars.
Star Wars was extremely popular and influential in Japan so yeah.

This was a short film done by animators in the 80s who would go on to form Gainax.

Is this real or is it someone who paid $8 fuckin around?

Right? That was my first thought, too. Nope, I refuse to be intrigued, let alone excited, by this because that blue check mark means absolutely nothing anymore. Aside from everything else, it’s downright absurd to read about Musk trying to lure advertisers to save the company while simultaneously completely deconstructing the platform’s utility as an outreach tool.

Gonna do 1 wild guess for the famicoin:
The first post a user makes after 2 people have liked each others post within x timeframe with a post that's at least 100 characters long equals 1 coin.

Is this real or is it someone who paid $8 fuckin around?

Right? That was my first thought, too. Nope, I refuse to be intrigued, let alone excited, by this because that blue check mark means absolutely nothing anymore. Aside from everything else, it’s downright absurd to read about Musk trying to lure advertisers to save the company while simultaneously completely deconstructing the platform’s utility as an outreach tool.

screenshot2022-11-10am0iyp.png

Okay so the 500 character thing is demonstrably NOT the way to earn a Famicoin. Interesting, interesting.

Also: Star Wars itself is very anime. Space wizards? Laser swords? Come on. It’s not a very good anime, but it’s anime.

i still have my old gameboy boxes awesome
rYgEE0D.jpg

One of the greatest regrets of my life is having thrown all my GBCA boxes away when I was a kid to save space on my bookshelves because I kept all the cartridges in a little pouch anyway. I’ve been tempted in recent years to find someone to reprint the covers on cardboard boxes for me to put with the rest of my collection. Goes to show you really should hoard, actually.

Good idea, I'm surprised I haven't seen anybody else mention this yet.
I put some consideration into this last night, and looked into what that might entail.

Technical logistics
  • For every member, for every one of their comments, for every comment that fits the criteria of earning Famicoin, update that member's Famicoin balance with the appropriate addition (after determining what it is based on the content)
  • For every member, for every one of their threads, for every thread that fits the criteria of earning Famicoin, update that member's Famicoin balance with the appropriate addition (after determining what it is based on the content)
  • For every member, for every Yeah! the member has given, update that member's Famicoin balance with the appropriate addition.
  • For every member, for every Yeah! the member has received, update that member's Famicoin balance with the appropriate addition.
  • etc.

Ethical logistics
I think there's a discussion worth having here; I haven't landed on a side yet.
On one hand, it would be fantastic for long-time users to see their time on Famiboards reflected in their Famicoin balance.
On the other hand, accounting for the fact that there will (at some point) be (some form of) limited-time rewards redeemable with Famicoins, this essentially puts any newer users, however active they may be, at a disadvantage.

I think the ethical logistics are really what matter here. The technical stuff is just what it takes to do; programming is hard, period. Lol.

Would it be a substantial alternative to instead start everybody with a specific positive amount of Famicoins?
This eliminates seeing a big fat zero in your balance, but also sets everyone off from the same starting line.

Any thoughts?
You could always exclude retroactively awarded famicoins from being eligible to purchase stuff with if you are afraid that might skew things in favour of long-time members.

You could always exclude retroactively awarded famicoins from being eligible to purchase stuff with if you are afraid that might skew things in favour of long-time members.
I like the idea of legacy famicoins, (or famigold which is what it was tbqh) at the very least to show that we accomplished something with our many, many hours of shitposting and not-so-shitposting.

I found this educational website the other day. It basically has kids play games while they answer questions to earn power ups. One of the games had a character who automatically attacks as waves of enemies come for them. When you answer a question, you can pick from three power-ups. Eventually the waves get so big that the student computers lag and they get swarmed.

I downloaded Vampire Survivor on Game Pass to see what all the fuss is about, and imagine my shock at discovering that this educational website basically crammed math questions into Vampire Survivor. Even the UI is crazy similar!

Good idea, I'm surprised I haven't seen anybody else mention this yet.
I put some consideration into this last night, and looked into what that might entail.

Technical logistics
  • For every member, for every one of their comments, for every comment that fits the criteria of earning Famicoin, update that member's Famicoin balance with the appropriate addition (after determining what it is based on the content)
  • For every member, for every one of their threads, for every thread that fits the criteria of earning Famicoin, update that member's Famicoin balance with the appropriate addition (after determining what it is based on the content)
  • For every member, for every Yeah! the member has given, update that member's Famicoin balance with the appropriate addition.
  • For every member, for every Yeah! the member has received, update that member's Famicoin balance with the appropriate addition.
  • etc.

Ethical logistics
I think there's a discussion worth having here; I haven't landed on a side yet.
On one hand, it would be fantastic for long-time users to see their time on Famiboards reflected in their Famicoin balance.
On the other hand, accounting for the fact that there will (at some point) be (some form of) limited-time rewards redeemable with Famicoins, this essentially puts any newer users, however active they may be, at a disadvantage.

I think the ethical logistics are really what matter here. The technical stuff is just what it takes to do; programming is hard, period. Lol.

Would it be a substantial alternative to instead start everybody with a specific positive amount of Famicoins?
This eliminates seeing a big fat zero in your balance, but also sets everyone off from the same starting line.

Any thoughts?

Maybe the ability to make it a toggle/setting can help put competition in the coins to rest, what I mean is that initially the counter does not show up on your posts until you toggle it on in the settings so users can choose whether to partake or not. On the background the Famicoin will still continue counting.

Edit: (This post earned me a coin, checkmate atheists)

This Famicoin stuff is giving me flash backs to people trying to spade out mechanics in Kingdom of Loathing back in the day

Edit: OMG I have one 😮

Can't wait for everyone to be like "omg why is starwars anime shit now, fucking disney man" so I can tell them all about how Star Wars always has been anime all over again.
Anime -> Star Wars -> Final Fantasy -> Anime

Ngl it's really exciting seeing the intended reward system actually work.

The idea is that Famicoins will be awarded based on quality, which is an extremely difficult metric to measure.

So seeing a relatively expected outcome is really exciting for me.

I'm not looking forward to it being exploited as soon as I detail the rewards system in the announcement thread.

Work is so exhausting today. I definitely picked right when I chose to have tomorrow off. Gonna play a bunch of Sonic Frontiers.

If you'd like to see what your Famicoin balance would be if we had it implemented from day 1, let me know, and I'll include it in the announcement post.
yes please

Ok Resident Evil 4 is a masterpiece. I've been playing non-stop since yesterday because I had a day off and I can't put my controller down 😭 I'm still amazed that it used to run on the GameCube, the game is clearly the most impressive game on the console. It's so action-packed that there's no break at all.
I'm constantly surprised and pleased with what I'm playing, it's a feeling I've rearely felt.
The environments are stunning too, that Castle is gonna look BEAUTIFUL in the remake.

Ok Resident Evil 4 is a masterpiece. I've been playing non-stop since yesterday because I had a day off and I can't put my controller down 😭 I'm still amazed that it used to run on the GameCube, the game is clearly the most impressive game on the console. It's so action-packed that there's no break at all.
I'm constantly surprised and pleased with what I'm playing, it's a feeling I've rearely felt.
The environments are stunning too, that Castle is gonna look BEAUTIFUL in the remake.
It's a game that I come back to all the time. It really is an overall masterclass of game design.

FF2 did the Star Wars thing first though

Mom: But we already have Final Fantasy XII Director’s Cut

Off camera: Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age sobbing in the corner
I LOVED Zodiac Age, but the game’s story just kinda stops instead of having a proper ending.

Alright I'm going to post the announcement thread for Famicoins shortly. Possibly within the hour.

I'd like to ask that any discussion and feedback about Famicoin go in that thread.

You're allowed to talk about it here, but the thread will be important for documenting the reactions from the site and gauging feedback.

The two times I tried to play it I had a hard time adjusting to the "stop moving to shoot" mechanic. And then stopped playing it was too scary. But I'm stronger now! I've played RE2R. It's the stop-and-pop that I think I'll have a hard time with.

Star Wars was extremely popular and influential in Japan so yeah.
this is a funny way to put it seeing as star wars was extremely popular everywhere because it was so heavily influenced by japan

“influential in japan” seems kinda backhanded when the whole thing is white boys do japanese cinema in space the movie

I don’t even have two famicoins to rub togeth— ope

also autocorrect HATES famicoins, keeps trying to say “Dani pins”

I LOVED Zodiac Age, but the game’s story just kinda stops instead of having a proper ending.
The plot of FF12 is just a bit odd all-around. It starts off as sort of a Star Wars "young teen nobody gets caught up in big world events" story, complete with joining up with a Han Solo sky pirate-type to save a princess on a spaceship, rebellion vs/ the empire, and all that. But then once you get a full party and start going toward the Tomb of Raithwall, most of the actually important parts of the plot happen off-screen or are political maneuverings that happen away from the party. Like 50% of the game in the middle section is just "we need to travel to location X" and plot takes a big backseat to just traveling, exploring, and doing side stuff on the way to big locations. And then you get into the Occuria section and traveling to the Great Crystal and into the endgame, which I honestly like a lot, but it's also a bit of a narrative shift from the earlier sections of the game.

Overall it feels like different parts of plots that don't entirely mesh together: The first 1/3 of the game is the Star Wars-y section, the middle 1/3 of the game is mostly lacking in plot completely and about traveling, and the final 1/3 of the game swerves into different directions and feels kind of disjointed from the opening 1/3. Despite all this, I love the game, but the plot isn't really its strong suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom