• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST10 2022 July| ve A Live

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really sad this evening so once I've finished up my errands and work I am going to eat pizza and sweet potato fries and watching the last 2 episodes of Wheel of Time. And I might have a single beer, too.

I’m still bummed about the shoulder and trigger buttons on my pro controller randomly failing on me :( still not sure how, only thing I can think of is static discharge when unplugging it but you’d think it’d have enough grounding

Wheel of Time was really good! I hope you enjoy! What sort of beer are you having?
030_ig_bottle_tap_ar.jpg

The GOAT

You ever have an album that you absolutely love, but you only ever listen to that one album by that band? That’s me with Radiohead. OK Computer is a perfect record, and whenever I want to listen to Radiohead, I want to listen to OK Computer. Why try something new when you’ve already got perfection?

You ever have an album that you absolutely love, but you only ever listen to that one album by that band? That’s me with Radiohead. OK Computer is a perfect record, and whenever I want to listen to Radiohead, I want to listen to OK Computer. Why try something new when you’ve already got perfection?
Definitely agree about Radiohead although I'm a big fan of The Bends. A few other artists come pretty close to having that happen with me.

My brother has a habit of not being around or able to watch it when I want to so I’m still a few episodes behind. Hoping to at least knock out the mid season finale tonight.
DEFINITELY let me know once you've watched the midseason finale, and again once you're all caught up haha
OK Computer and In Rainbows are Radiohead's best albums to me. Both masterclasses

You know, I enjoyed paranoid Android(high and dry too but that’s a different album) in rocksmith, I should throw this album into my playlist and give it a listen. Been meaning to add some new stuff in

I also really should get back to rocksmith and regular base practice XD I’ve been slacking way too long. Or mess with my mandolin. One or the other

Rock til You Die by Songwriter X and the Skeleton Band

You know, I enjoyed paranoid Android(high and dry too but that’s a different album) in rocksmith, I should throw this album into my playlist and give it a listen. Been meaning to add some new stuff in
OK Computer takes you on a journey. You absolutely need to listen to it, especially if you already like one of the songs on it.

Rock til You Die by Songwriter X and the Skeleton Band
I’ve never heard of them!

This song will not leave my head, so I have to infect spread it to those not playing LiveALive:

I'm pretty sure this would get me hyped up to do just about anything

The Bends is my go to, but my favourite song of theirs is Exit Music, go figure 😂

I know exactly what you mean though, I'm the same with Grand by Matt & Kim
*Edit I drew such a blank trying to think of examples then a few more came flooding back
Conditions - Temper Trap
Hot Fuss - Killers

Last edited:
I like plenty of their other songs, but for me Within Temptation's The Unforgiving is like that. It's just a really good listen start to finish. I love concept albums like that that tell a story.

Another great one is Symphony X's Paradise Lost

I mean, besides both having mammal-based naming conventions and claws as their primary weapon, they're not too similar?

One's a king of a futuristic African nation, a renowned strategic genius with a dozen high tech tools up his belt, who's basically the Marvel equivalent of Batman if he was even more stupid rich and also had super powers based on a large cat

The other's just an angry Canadian who refuses to die
Tbf it's not the personality or the background which would affect the gameplay, it's their powers.

Not that they're so similar it's derivative, but the biggest difference in how you make the two play differently is having EA make one game and Insomniac the other.

God I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around this but I really think I'm doing it the right way.

I have one struct I use for all of my items. With that I made a table for base item types (helm, boots, axe, sword, etc), a table for materials which affect the stats/price/rarity of the item by adding those relevant values to those variables in the former struct, and then a table for enchantments which further affects the stats/price/rarity in the same way. So when the game is tasked to roll a random item it will access these three (30-40 entry long) tables and find a level appropriate combination rather than have to access one table with like 4000 entries covering every permutation.

Does this make any sense to anyone?

Spent about five minutes reading Steam Community posts and now I support any politician who wants to ban any and all video games. Good God.

God I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around this but I really think I'm doing it the right way.

I have one struct I use for all of my items. With that I made a table for base item types (helm, boots, axe, sword, etc), a table for materials which affect the stats/price/rarity of the item by adding those relevant values to those variables in the former struct, and then a table for enchantments which further affects the stats/price/rarity in the same way. So when the game is tasked to roll a random item it will access these three (30-40 entry long) tables and find a level appropriate combination rather than have to access one table with like 4000 entries covering every permutation.

Does this make any sense to anyone?
Yeah that absolutely makes sense! What language are you doing it in? Depending on which you might have options to make it a little simpler on yourself, too.

Yup. Pretty sure Diablo 1 and 2 both did a similar proc gen process for their loot back in the day.
Awesome, thanks!

One of the most interesting things about diving deeply into game design as a solo dev who has never really studied game design is that I'm learning that most problems that seem extremely complex at the start actually have extremely simple solutions that wind up working far better than what I would've thought to do at first.

Yeah that absolutely makes sense! What language are you doing it in? Depending on which you might have options to make it a little simpler on yourself, too.
UE4 blueprints, so not a traditional language I suppose.

What I'll wind up doing is filtering by enums each step of the way. "Steel" has armor values and three different types of physical damage values associated with it but if I'm using my base item type and subtype enums to filter between armor and weapon types (i.e. mace or sword) it makes it much simpler to just use this one material struct as it carries all of the relevant information for all of the items it can be used for.

The only tricky part I think will be figuring out how to weight the item levels. The materials and enchantments each have item levels associated with them so I'll try to figure out some way to have a "max" item level threshold for each roll and make sure between the material and enchantment it can't exceed that.

So yeah I enjoyed the Wheel of Time series... but now I need to fight the urge to immediately buy all the books.
This is gonna be me in a few months after Rings of Power, except "all the books" will be "all the stuff Christopher published" and I'm not sure how jazzed I am about that

Awesome, thanks!

One of the most interesting things about diving deeply into game design as a solo dev who has never really studied game design is that I'm learning that most problems that seem extremely complex at the start actually have extremely simple solutions that wind up working far better than what I would've thought to do at first.

UE4 blueprints, so not a traditional language I suppose.

What I'll wind up doing is filtering by enums each step of the way. "Steel" has armor values and three different types of physical damage values associated with it but if I'm using my base item type and subtype enums to filter between armor and weapon types (i.e. mace or sword) it makes it much simpler to just use this one material struct as it carries all of the relevant information for all of the items it can be used for.

The only tricky part I think will be figuring out how to weight the item levels. The materials and enchantments each have item levels associated with them so I'll try to figure out some way to have a "max" item level threshold for each roll and make sure between the material and enchantment it can't exceed that.
Oh yeah learning about game design from the tech side is super fascinating, there's so many interesting problems to figure out. And there's nothing quite like getting to show off a good solution hehe.

I don't have experience with UE4 blueprints so unfortunately I have no idea what you can or can't do with them : ( But the general logic you're outlining makes sense just like that.

This is gonna be me in a few months after Rings of Power, except "all the books" will be "all the stuff Christopher published" and I'm not sure how jazzed I am about that
I've already absorbed that stuff into my bloodstream. I am a big fan of The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales; Complete History of Middle Earth can be skipped unless you really want to dig into the development of different ideas. Children of Hurin is also good as a standalone text. Out of the three 'Great Tales' that have been published, it's the one that works best as a standalone text. I've always had a soft spot for Fall of Gondolin, but can't remember my experience reading the standalone version of it; Beren and Luthien really isn't worth reading unless you want to read multiple different versions of the story that Tolkien changed over time (you get a better experience reading it as part of Silmarillion, I think). All the material in the three Great Tales books have been published in different formats across multiple past books; usually Complete History of Middle Earth volumes.

But yeah, if you want to read the edited stuff, I'd start with Children of Hurin and Unfinished Tales; if you get on with those, try Silmarillion if you haven't already.

So yeah I enjoyed the Wheel of Time series... but now I need to fight the urge to immediately buy all the books.
That is quite a few books. Maybe start with like, the first 3? That's basically a self-contained arc in a lot of ways and will give you a good grasp on if you enjoy Robert Jordan's writing enough to read the next 11 (and trust me, for some of those you'll have to really hold on to any reason to continue. I love the series, it's one of my all-time favorites, but man those middle books can drag)

I think the general perception of the show among book fans is mixed, but then what adaptation isn't? It's been quite a while since I read them so I wasn't too put off by the differences in the show, and I thought it was pretty good on its own merits.

Tbf it's not the personality or the background which would affect the gameplay, it's their powers.

Not that they're so similar it's derivative, but the biggest difference in how you make the two play differently is having EA make one game and Insomniac the other.
I mean, even their fighting styles shouldn't be very similar. Wolverine is usually depicted as more of a straight brawler/berserker, whereas Black Panther is usually more of an acrobatic fighter with a lot more tools and gadgets at his disposal.

Seriously besides the fact that they both have claws I'm not sure what would be so similar about their fighting styles. Though yeah, the different studios are what's going to affect the gameplay the most.

I've already absorbed that stuff into my bloodstream. I am a big fan of The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales; Complete History of Middle Earth can be skipped unless you really want to dig into the development of different ideas. Children of Hurin is also good as a standalone text. Out of the three 'Great Tales' that have been published, it's the one that works best as a standalone text. I've always had a soft spot for Fall of Gondolin, but can't remember my experience reading the standalone version of it; Beren and Luthien really isn't worth reading unless you want to read multiple different versions of the story that Tolkien changed over time (you get a better experience reading it as part of Silmarillion, I think). All the material in the three Great Tales books have been published in different formats across multiple past books; usually Complete History of Middle Earth volumes.

But yeah, if you want to read the edited stuff, I'd start with Children of Hurin and Unfinished Tales; if you get on with those, try Silmarillion if you haven't already.
I tried to read Silmarillion when I was 9. I was not ready.

That is quite a few books. Maybe start with like, the first 3? That's basically a self-contained arc in a lot of ways and will give you a good grasp on if you enjoy Robert Jordan's writing enough to read the next 11 (and trust me, for some of those you'll have to really hold on to any reason to continue. I love the series, it's one of my all-time favorites, but man those middle books can drag)

I think the general perception of the show among book fans is mixed, but then what adaptation isn't? It's been quite a while since I read them so I wasn't too put off by the differences in the show, and I thought it was pretty good on its own merits.
My advice is usually start with the first three, since like you said they’re almost their own trilogy in a lot of ways. But if you can make it through those and like then, then IMO book 4 is probably the best book in the series. And also starts to feel more like what the series generally morphs into later on.

(But yeah, Crossroads of Twilight sure is a book all right)

Oh man, a friend of mine turned me into Innis & Gunn years ago and honestly I've never been more enamored with a beer brewed inside a whiskey cask. I loved Guinness for a long time but this honestly ekes it over the edge for me.
Being turned into beer sounds like a fate worse than death but hey, at least you have impeccable taste! 😜

Better Call Saul tonight was a fun diversion from the main story while still resolving a pretty big cliffhanger and making me hungry for more. I have a feeling some people will hate it like they did the Fly episode in Breaking Bad, but I enjoyed this one quite a bit (and imo it's better than Fly)

DEFINITELY let me know once you've watched the midseason finale, and again once you're all caught up haha
Alright, I’ve seen the mid season finale and the episode after now. I can’t believe people were left with that for like a month and a half. I’m only behind 2 episodes now, including tonight’s episode. I’ll probably be caught up tomorrow.

I see it’s been another fascinating day for xenobob crogginnoggin discourse

I will reserve comment, but if anyone happens to meaningfully play it, can you let me know if it’s less infuriating than XC2 for anyone non-binary or femme-adjacent to play / witness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom