• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo eShop |ST Dec. 2021|

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like between this week and the last one we got everything that’s part of the holiday eshop sale, most of these end during the end of the year. I think there’s even more on sale than during the Black Friday one, there’s quite a lot to consider. Maybe we’ll get some first party deals next week or so but otherwise that seems to wrap it up in terms of eshop sales

Before talking about the Switch deals and what I’m considering there I have to mention the 3DS sales. Everything from Sega/Atlus is on sale for pretty cheap so if you like JRPGs it’s pretty much the time to complete your collection. I’m currently playing SMT IV: Apocalypse which I have gotten the last time it was on sale. I’m planning to get Strange Journey and Radiant Historia for sure.

My top recommandation there is Etrian Odyssey IV, the demo hooked me and it end up being my favorite game on the system after Kid Icarus. I never got around EOV because I didn’t really like the demo, they also removed the overworld from EOIV which I really liked. So the only other EO game I got was Untold 2 because it was well recieved and had some kind of game within the game to break the monotony with the town building aspect, as well as the extra optional dungeon. I played through it last year and enjoyed it, IV is still my favorite as I valued a lot the ways it managed to change the pace rather than sticking purely to dungeon crawling (which is still a great gameplay loop). However, even though the rest are cheap they are still pretty iterative so I’m not sure if I want to once again play this kind of game for at least 60 hours, beat the elemental dragons in the post game and then bail out on the superboss because I don’t want to bother grinding and respec-ing for bragging rights. So basically I wanna know if the remaining EO games on the system add anything of value to the series, because I’m pretty satisfied with IV and Untold 2 (I wish we had Untold 3, that one looked interesting)

This leads me to ask if the Persona Q games are worth it? I only played Persona 3 and really liked it so I guess I will have to get around 4 and 5 somehow before playing Q and Q2. However, I’m still wondering if it’s worth it to grab them both for cheap before it’s too late. The discussion around those games seems to be around fans of either series being purists and not liking the games as a result but my question is, as DRPGs, are they good? Do they bring anything of value to the EO formula? If so I’m considering picking them up as well to wrap up my Atlus collection on my 3DS
I never beat Persona Q, but if you liked Persona 3 I think it’s worth it to pick it up and give it a try at least. The main difference between Etrian and Persona Q is having all of the Persona characters bringing their personalities into the game and interacting together. At the start of the game you can choose which side, P3 or P4 to lead with, which makes the first chapter all about that cast. The themed dungeons are very different than what you’d see in Etrian even if the mechanics are very similar. The combat plays more like a Persona game, so it is still tough, but breezier. The music rocks.

Unless I am missing something? When it comes to confirming the controller by pressing L+R it keeps asking me to remove the Joycon
You can just press A to continue with the joycons attached (presumably the same on Switch Lite) when Runbow gives the option of removing the joycons. I wouldn’t consider it a glitch as much as poorly worded/misleading.

Reposting just in case someone has played them:

Mail Mole is tempting for $10.

Any opinions on that, B.ARK or A Fold Apart?

Definitely picking up Sky Racket for $2 (87% off).

While updating this month's releases I found out we got not one but TWO Wii U releases!

How is Star renegades on switch after recent patches? Still crash looping?

It's funny I went and re-watched NWR's video review yesterday, where they mentioned the game crashing a lot, and was wondering the same thing.

--------------

Also, remember that Devolver Digital game Cult of the Lamb? In August they mentioned it coming out in Q1 2022...maybe it gets pushed back but the screenshots on the site are beautiful

I never beat Persona Q, but if you liked Persona 3 I think it’s worth it to pick it up and give it a try at least. The main difference between Etrian and Persona Q is having all of the Persona characters bringing their personalities into the game and interacting together. At the start of the game you can choose which side, P3 or P4 to lead with, which makes the first chapter all about that cast. The themed dungeons are very different than what you’d see in Etrian even if the mechanics are very similar. The combat plays more like a Persona game, so it is still tough, but breezier. The music rocks.
Thanks, I’ll probably pick both up as they seem to offer an interesting spin on the EO gameplay. Like I’m sure Nexus is good but I’d rather play something different if I wanna play a game in that style over going through maps that I already know about. Having skimmed through some let’s plays PQ’s dungeons definitely seem different. That being said it would probably take a while before I get to play them since not only I played EOU2 not too long ago, but also Atlus needs to bring P4G and P5R to something I own (lol)

Picked up Risk of Rain 2.

Same! Never played RoR either tho!

I’ve been digging up info on Titan Quest and it seems that now it’s up to being a quite decent port after two updates and the new DLCs? Seems to have gotten more QOL add-ons and framerate is mostly 50/60fps. I think I might buy it to play with GF.

Too bad Moving Out only has split-screen co-op.

Bought a BUNCH of games as a Christmas treat:

• Final Fantasy VII
  • Final Fantasy IX
  • Touhou Luna Nights
  • moon

Also I have FFX/X-2 and FFXII coming via Amazon.

I thing I'm set to give this Final Fantasy thing a shot.

• Final Fantasy VII
  • Final Fantasy IX
  • Touhou Luna Nights
  • moon

That happened to me last year, I’ve only beaten 7 so far but I’m working on 9 now although right now SRWX has my focus. I have all the numbered FF on switch

Darkside Detective 2's free Christmas case DLC is out. Just update your game to get it. There will be two more free cases coming in 2022.

• Final Fantasy VII
  • Final Fantasy IX
  • Touhou Luna Nights
  • moon

Please don’t skip VIII, don’t listen to hyperbolic idiots on the internet. It’s easily on par with the others you bought, it’s not a controversial opinion to have it as a favorite. People meme about that plot twist or the weird progression system but when you think about it fundamentally it’s not exactly a black sheep compared to any of these other games. I’ll also say that it has great overall pacing and the best final dungeon in the series, it’s a great game

NintendoLife just posted a feature called "The Best Hidden Gems and Underrated Switch Games of 2021". It's a 3 page article with 28 eShop games. Since the 5 games I have already played on that list have been excellent or good (and 2 of the other games are on my wishlist), the rest of these suggestions got my attention.

Page 1:

Page 2:

Page 3:

Here are a couple off the beaten path recommendations:

Tumbleseed ($4.94) - A roguelike from the early days of Switch. Great art style and really interesting mechanics. You control a seed(?) rolling up a mountain and as you progress you find different seeds that you can plant, each with their own effect/benefit. Lots of strategy, as the number of plots where things can be planted is limited, so there is a big trade off on how you use them. Some uses include gaining resources, health, something offensive like spikes, or some utility benefits that help you avoid enemies. It's a fairly difficult game, but once the unique method of control clicks, it is great. Had a ton of fun with this one.

Full Metal Furies ($5.99) - A really great co-op beat em up type game with a ton of content and really great progression systems. 4 different characters that all control very differently. Also features online multiplayer and is one of the few games that correctly handles having each local co-op players login to their own profile for progress. There is also a fairly involved set of riddles hidden within the game, but I'll be honest I didn't really engage much in those at all.

Into the Breach ($7.49) - Not really that unknown of a game, but I just don't see it mentioned as much as it should be. Really great strategy game that almost feels a little like chess. Your characters have very limited movesets, but the way they interact with each other, enemies, and the environment allow for lots of chain reactions that require lots of strategic decision making. The game has a great way of making you feel smart when you find a clever set of actions that get you out of bad situation.

Hand of Fate 2 ($9.89) - An interesting card game that mixes together lots of different elements. The game consists of many different scenarios that all play a little bit differently, but use the same basic card system. I wouldn't necessarily call it a deck builder, but before each scenario you build a small deck of cards that will be mixed in scenario specific cards. As a result of beating different scenarios, and completing various achievements, your collection of cards will begin to grow. I found it very challenging and felt like there quite a bit of luck involved, but building your deck to complement the needs of the particular scenario that you are attempting is key.

Does anyone have any strong opinions on Beast Breaker or Roundguard? I'm looking at both of those and they seem like they kind of have a similar style of gameplay, so I was hoping had a recommendation of one or the other.

I'm eyeing West of Loathing (played a little back when it was on PC Gamepass and found it genuinely funny), but I remember one of the devs was involved in a really shitty controversy. Are they still involved? Did anything change? I tried to look it up but the most recent articles I found were from 2019 and there isn't any indication if anything came of it.

Playing Wilmot's Warehous at the moment, and I'm not liking it that much. I can see what they are going for with the freedom they give you and the different kinds of connections between the items to give you options for categorization, but the actual levels are just not that fun, to me anyway.

There's an option for co-op, and my guess it that would be more exciting in the kinds of social interaction it would evoke outside the game itself in the same way as something like Overcooked.

NintendoLife just posted a feature called "The Best Hidden Gems and Underrated Switch Games of 2021". It's a 3 page article with 28 eShop games. Since the 5 games I have already played on that list have been excellent or good (and 2 of the other games are on my wishlist), the rest of these suggestions got my attention.

Page 1:

Page 2:

Page 3:
This is the kind of thing I live for. I love the end of the year lists like these. I can speak for Overboard, that was one of my favorite games this year.

Quoted by: em
Does anyone have any strong opinions on Beast Breaker or Roundguard? I'm looking at both of those and they seem like they kind of have a similar style of gameplay, so I was hoping had a recommendation of one or the other.

I have played Beast Breaker a little bit. The (RPG pinball) mechanics seems fun and solid so far. However, from what I've played so far the game doesn't seem to focus that much on the adventure/story part.

This is the kind of thing I live for. I love the end of the year lists like these. I can speak for Overboard, that was one of my favorite games this year.

Is there any benefit to playing Overboard on Switch instead of mobile/tablet platforms?

Picked up today:
  • Toree 2 (0.99€)
  • Oxenfree (0.99€)
  • Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams Owltimate Edition (0.99€)
  • Fatum Betula (0.99€)
Got one free thanks to my few remaining coins.

Already beaten Toree 2 since it's pretty short, but it was also pretty cool and I have to S-rank all the stages. Was kinda like the first one but with some more level design ideas: for only less than a $/€, it's a really good deal for a really good short platformer.

Do you know others cool game that are under a $/€? I'm seeking for cool, short and cheap games 😃

Picked up today:
  • Toree 2 (0.99€)
  • Oxenfree (0.99€)
  • Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams Owltimate Edition (0.99€)
  • Fatum Betula (0.99€)
Got one free thanks to my few remaining coins.

Already beaten Toree 2 since it's pretty short, but it was also pretty cool and I have to S-rank all the stages. Was kinda like the first one but with some more level design ideas: for only less than a $/€, it's a really good deal for a really good short platformer.

Do you know others cool game that are under a $/€? I'm seeking for cool, short and cheap games 😃
Down in Bermuda
Xenon Valkyrie+
Agent A: A Puzzle in disguise
A Robot Named Fight
Cyber Protocol
Dogurai
Hopiko
Tachyon Project
The Adventures of Elena Temple
Dininho Space Adventure
Isolomus

These are all 0.99

I liked them

Anybody here play New Super Lucky's Tale? The sale price seems enticing.

It's really good! Feels nice to play, is charming, has three level types (3D, 2.5D, and auto-runner), and has a great soundtrack too. I recommend it!

Picked-up a few digital 3DS games:
  • Devil Survivor 1&2
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse
  • Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice (+DLC cases)
Unsure when I'll be able to play, but it is nice to round out my collection.

Picked-up a few digital 3DS games:
  • Devil Survivor 1&2
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse
  • Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice (+DLC cases)
Unsure when I'll be able to play, but it is nice to round out my collection.
Is the Spirit of Justice DLC also on sale?

Agree with Phil here! It's a delightful 3D platformer, with an engaging mix of early 3D-type open levels and Crash Bandicoot-esque hijinx. It gets pretty tricky at times going for 100% too.

And thanks @Phil32 for the Mail Mole tip! I just got a Series S for Christmas so I may pick it up there 😄

Ooh! Congrats on the Series S! It's an awesome little piece of tech for sure! If you'd like, feel free to message me and I'll send you my GamerTag if you want to add me!

Ooh! Congrats on the Series S! It's an awesome little piece of tech for sure! If you'd like, feel free to message me and I'll send you my GamerTag if you want to add me!
Thanks Phil! It's going to be a big upgrade from our base Xbox One, from what I understand! Looking forward to setting it up and I'll message you once I have. 🙂

So for Switch, a couple days ago I grabbed Cruis’n Blast because it’s cool and I don’t have that many multiplayer games

I also wanted a big 3D single player game so I can cope with the fact that Omicron basically prevents me to go outside during this winter break. I decided to go with Yooka-Laylee. I’m actually enjoying it, I’m pretty surprised. Now this game was actually off my radar for a while not only due to the bad intitial reception but also because I was very upset they had cancelled the Wii U version. Now that it was 80% off I decided to try it because I really love Banjo Kazooie and Tooie. They are some of my favorite games ever as well as one of the reasons why I even bother with videogames. These games’ very inventive worlds made my imagination run wild as a kid, I think it’s bullshit that some people consider this type of game outdated. Some will hate on Tooie for being too big and being more of an adventure game rather than a platformer but that’s what I really like about it. Things like the connections between the world, Halfire Peaks, Jolly Roger’s Lagoon being a whole underwater world, all very memorable and mindblowing moments. It’s a shame that there are very few platformers since then that follow this formula, the last one seems to be Sunshine pretty much. Even Odyssey, which is a great game, feels more like Mario Galaxy levels spread on the usual spread out open world maps rather than having a structure and level design similar to Mario 64 or Banjo. Ironically, one of the last games to ever give me Banjo Tooie vibes was Dark Souls 1 and 2 due to how big and elaborate they were

So yeah, I’m really glad Yooka Laylee at least scratches that itch. Sure there are a lot of nitpicks and points of comparison so you can say that it’s worse than Banjo in every way but that’s fine, Banjo is already the GOAT. I’m just glad that there’s another game with this kind of structure, there are really not too many of those. People say that collectathons are outdated and replaced by modern open world games but this is simply wrong. At least in Rare-style games you get collectables by doing unique and meaningful challenges rather than walking around a huge empty map, following markers and grabbing crafting materials. People hate a lot on DK64, sure this game has some very obvious design issues and it’s a couple tiers below Banjo especially in terms of level design but I still enjoyed it when I played it for the first time on Wii U VC. I sadly never finished it because I had deleted my save by mistake but I was at world 5, which was my favorite level in the game due to the day/night mechanic, ironically it was a scrapped Banjo level. So far I’m in world 2 of Yooka and I’m glad that it doesn’t really have the DK64 problem of repetitive minigames or objectives. That is surprising because I thought that Yooka didn’t look impressive based on trailers and such. I know some of you will recommend other platformers that are better received but I’m pretty sure most, if not all of them are level based so they are not really what I was looking for

This is an especially satisfying pickup considering that last year, in a similar situation, I opted to buy Supraland which was pretty well received as a hidden gem, it has Zelda/Metroid/Portal inspirations but sadly it didn’t really hit the mark for me. Everyone was saying how there wasn’t enough 3D Metroid style games but this one just made me feel like I’d rather play any of its influences. The exploration just didn’t really feel rewarding, none of the environments were memorable. The combat is probably one of the worst I’ve ever seen in a game, most collectables are damage or health upgrades to help you make the terrible combat more bearable. Some puzzles were cool but overall I rarely felt like “this was a cool sequence” or “I’m having fun”. It’s not an outright bad game but it’s kind of mediocre and it’s the only non-F2P game I ever uninstalled on my Switch

Other than those I think I’ll also grab Blasphemous which is pretty cheap and I think it just had its last DLC. There’s also Hyper Light Drifter which is apparently a must-have and doesn’t go on sale often. It seems like it’s the right them to get them, I’ll play them afterwards but I think these two will wrap up this sale for me

In case you didn't know, there's a demo

I'm actually going to pick it up myself, having played the demo and then a little more on gamepass.

Just picked Overboard! and Picross S6. Let's see if I grab something else til the sale ends.

Problem is, I'm going to play Picross for the next 50-60 gaming hours while ignoring everything else, because of course I'll do this.

If y’all are looking for a fun game to play in handheld mode while you watch a show. Loop Hero has been a delight for me. Not exactly sure how to describe its gameplay systems. So I’d recommend watching a trailer to see how it plays!

It also got bonus points for me as the games UI can in fact be navigated via the touch screen. Give it a chance if you can! It’s on sale and I think it’s fun.

If y’all are looking for a fun game to play in handheld mode while you watch a show. Loop Hero has been a delight for me. Not exactly sure how to describe its gameplay systems. So I’d recommend watching a trailer to see how it plays!

It also got bonus points for me as the games UI can in fact be navigated via the touch screen. Give it a chance if you can! It’s on sale and I think it’s fun.
My girlfriend has had the game crash on her a ton, though she's still had a blast with it and dumped like 30 hours into it. Have you been experiencing any crashes like that?

My girlfriend has had the game crash on her a ton, though she's still had a blast with it and dumped like 30 hours into it. Have you been experiencing any crashes like that?

When a game has constant crashes try to run it from switch’s internal memory instead of an external SD card. It should solve most of these issues.

I have just learned about the existence of the game Battle Brothers, and am happy to see that it‘s also available on Switch (without DLC about 30 €, or $30, on sale for 15 € /$15).

Steam reviews sound very positive, and it seems to be a game very much aimed at hardcore tactical RPG fans. It apparently has deep gameplay options and has a (very?) high difficulty. The graphics look very low-budget, but that would be totally fine if the gameplay was great.

Any opinions on the game, or maybe even on the Switch port?

I really like discovering these more hidden, potential gems. That‘s why I really like reading these threads — I‘m sure many feel the same. Very glad that we have these threads on famiboards. 😃

For the 8 hours I’ve put in I’ve had it crash once. Wasn’t all that thrilled when it happened but the game does auto save a lot so it’s easy to mitigate.

When a game has constant crashes try to run it from switch’s internal memory instead of an external SD card. It should solve most of these issues.
Thanks for the advice , I’ll see if it fixes anything when i get home . I’m close to 40 hours in and had experienced so many crashes and was scratching my head at the lack of mention of such , but it makes sense if it’s something like that .

Obvious to say I’ve been having a blast playing loop hero , it combines a bunch of genres i already individually like in games such as deck building and roguelikes and adds the twist of city building and (literal) world building to it . It’s a game where at surface glance it could look very boring and inactive in what you’re doing but a lot of it is in the management and also exploration of seeing what little things you can discover by combining card effects .

I’ve also picked up Unpacking but having gotten real far past the first level or so but it seems pretty cozy . Also after a three year hiatus and due to being curious how it would look on my Switch Oled i picked back up Hollow Knight , and boy does it look great but also i am clicking with it more post playing through a lot of metroid and similar games.

I’m not sure if i pick up anything else before Legends comes up but chicory is one i’ve become curious of due to what i’ve heard of it .

Thanks for the advice , I’ll see if it fixes anything when i get home . I’m close to 40 hours in and had experienced so many crashes and was scratching my head at the lack of mention of such , but it makes sense if it’s something like that .

Obvious to say I’ve been having a blast playing loop hero , it combines a bunch of genres i already individually like in games such as deck building and roguelikes and adds the twist of city building and (literal) world building to it . It’s a game where at surface glance it could look very boring and inactive in what you’re doing but a lot of it is in the management and also exploration of seeing what little things you can discover by combining card effects .

I’ve also picked up Unpacking but having gotten real far past the first level or so but it seems pretty cozy . Also after a three year hiatus and due to being curious how it would look on my Switch Oled i picked back up Hollow Knight , and boy does it look great but also i am clicking with it more post playing through a lot of metroid and similar games.

I’m not sure if i pick up anything else before Legends comes up but chicory is one i’ve become curious of due to what i’ve heard of it .
Just stick with Hollow Knight, to me it's a 10/10 masterpiece.

About Loop Hero, while listnening to the absolutely incredible soundtrack, I'm waiting for them to fix the icon. Yes, I'm that kind of weird user who refuses to buy games that mess with the damn icon. Sorry. Anyway, please let me know if and when they fix it, by removing that white line below.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom