• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo eShop |ST Dec. 2021|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone okay and have thoughts for Demon Turf, Blue Fire, and Hat in Time?

Looking for a new platformer!
Demon Turf has some not great combat, but the actual platforming is pretty solid. I had a lot of fun with it, though not quite "wanting to 100% the game" levels of fun due to one particular very late game power-up and the atrocious visibility in the fourth world revisit levels.

Blue Fire's a solid game. Feels like a classic 3D Zelda in some ways but with some pretty intense platforming and Dark Souls/HK influences. Combat was pretty wonky (though fun enough when you get used to it) but iirc there've been updates to that since I last played it, including some new content

Not sure I'd recommend it at full price but I'd say it's worth it with the current sale

I have Blue Fire and Hat in Time on deck, (and Psychonauts 2, jesus so many 3D platformers!) so I'm holding off on buying Demon Turf.

I was a few hours into Demon Turf and loved it so far before I shelved it for a bit, so I'm excited to return. It delivered on my Zelda/Mario/Dark Souls combo hopes and has gotten a bunch of free content added afaik too.

Hat in Time seems like a safe purchase and great bet, I just waited for a sale myself but the port seems solid from what I've played!

I was a bit whelmed by Demon Turf unfortunately. Hat in Time is fantastic but apparently the Switch port is not great

Hat in Time is good. Switch port is pretty good and I am surprised to hear the complains. I bought it pretty late, maybe there has been some updates. But I have nothing to complain.

Snagged the two Devil Survivor enhanced ports because physical copies are still stupid expensive for some reason. Also went through and snagged all the SMT IV and IVA DLC that made sense for when I get back to those. Sadly it doesn't look like DLC was on sale but hey I still came out ahead I think.

This goes to show how basically no one buys anything from the 3DS eshop anymore. Atlus games dominating the charts (and probably will next week too). Maybe Nintendo should do some sales on their games to see some nice increases (they won’t).

Very much enjoying Chicory so far. While I've been playing, it really had reminded me in a lot of ways of Wandersong, so color me (sorry) surprised that the same developer made both games. Now it all makes sense lol

Since I was sad I logically decided to expand my backlog even more so heres new stuff I scored during the sale:

- Death's Door (super excited to try this one!! I was definitely planning on buying this soon anyways so the sale came at a nice time!)

- Disco Elysium (not sure if it'll be my thing but I only heard positive stuff about it so why the heck not)

- Dragonball Fighter Z (dbz fighting game, why the heck not I say once again)

- Slay the Spire (also heard good stuff about this, and I've always wanted to try a turn based card game on switch!
I also decided to get Dicey Dungeons because of recommendations here and I've been enjoying that one a lot too so heres hoping for another fun game!)

Since I was sad I logically decided to expand my backlog even more so heres new stuff I scored during the sale:

- Death's Door (super excited to try this one!! I was definitely planning on buying this soon anyways so the sale came at a nice time!)

- Disco Elysium (not sure if it'll be my thing but I only heard positive stuff about it so why the heck not)

- Dragonball Fighter Z (dbz fighting game, why the heck not I say once again)

- Slay the Spire (also heard good stuff about this, and I've always wanted to try a turn based card game on switch!
I also decided to get Dicey Dungeons because of recommendations here and I've been enjoying that one a lot too so heres hoping for another fun game!)
Slay the Spire + Dicey Dungeons? Sir, you have extremely good tastes.

And another big sale just went live. Wallet, don't say a word. We'll be fine.

Oof another sale in the UK......

Grabbed Deaths Door and Blizzard Arcade Collection, I have £10 left on my eshop wallet, thinking of getting Boomerang X or Sludge Life, any thoughts on both?

Slay the Spire I have had my eye on for a while, but I am honestly getting a bit burnt out on rogue lite and rogue like games.

Shadowverse I have heard great things about. It is on sale on the eShop and Physical, so I may pick that up.

What I really want is a new Pokemon TCG like the awesome GBC one. Not that shitty iOS nonsense they have currently.

Is it worth picking up Streets of Rage 4 for $14.99 on the Switch U.S. eshop? Honestly very interested in the game, it looks visually amazing and I've heard great things about it, but I've never played a Streets of Rage.

Quoted by: em
It’s great to see Death’s Door getting some love here. It’d be my GotY if not for Metroid Prime Dread.

Is it worth picking up Streets of Rage 4 for $14.99 on the Switch U.S. eshop? Honestly very interested in the game, it looks visually amazing and I've heard great things about it, but I've never played a Streets of Rage.

SoR4 is absolutely worth it if you have the slightest interest in beat ‘em ups in or just want something fun for co-op play. You don’t need any experience with prior SoR games.

Last edited:
I just started playing Astalon, about two hours in. As more gets unlocked, this is starting to feel a bit special..

I started playing Unpacking (on Game Pass, not Switch) and found it to be incredibly tedious. I made it to the third house and had to stop. I'm glad it's connecting with people, but I found it to be the opposite of cozy and relaxing.

I think many people like obsessively organizing and placing the items neatly, but I quickly became overwhelmed by how much crap this person had lol. And once the houses starting having multiple rooms, it was too much for me. I wish it clicked with me because I like the graphics and music, but I think the gameplay has the opposite effect on me than what the developer intended. I think the concept is cool but something in my brain is preventing me from enjoying it.

I started playing Unpacking (on Game Pass, not Switch) and found it to be incredibly tedious. I made it to the third house and had to stop. I'm glad it's connecting with people, but I found it to be the opposite of cozy and relaxing.

I think many people like obsessively organizing and placing the items neatly, but I quickly became overwhelmed by how much crap this person had lol. And once the houses starting having multiple rooms, it was too much for me. I wish it clicked with me because I like the graphics and music, but I think the gameplay has the opposite effect on me than what the developer intended. I think the concept is cool but something in my brain is preventing me from enjoying it.
That's why i didn't buy the game, i like the graphics, music and being relaxing but i try to be minimalist; if i saw so much things to unpack i would panic and throw it all out haha.

Any official posting about what the new sale today was? Or was it just a bunch of individual ones happening to kick off

Fully addicted to Astalon now. It takes a while to get going, but just as you get tired of going back to the campfire to get a different character, you get the ability to swap between them at will. The puzzles and variety in platforming make it a great change of pace from metroidvanias that are more focused just on combat too.

For anyone waiting for a first party New Year sale in NA, looks like it started January 14th last year and January 9th the previous year.

I just bought Mortal Kombat 11!! It was only 40 reais on Brazil eShop. Promotion ends in 3 hours. Had to archive a lot of games for my storage to clean out space to download it lol. I'm really excited to play it whenever the download ends!!

I bought Wuppo (I believe this is a certified @Nabbit recommendation), Death's Door and Disco Elysium from the EU eShop New Year's sale. I've only been playing Death's Door so far, and it's really good! It's a more combat centric than a 2D Zelda, but still a game in that vein. I really like its sense of humor too, which is kind of rare for me with games.

We are still in December's thread by the way 😅. This is not a complaint, instead I wonder if we should just have a one permanent thread. You could simply post (and possibly threadmark) the mohtly game updates, but there would be less pressure on making a new thread on time. You'd also keep a longer history of the discussions in the same place. At least for me these threads are mainly for hearing and sharing game recommendations of old and new games, and being able to scroll through a lot of those in a single thread would only be an improvement.

These are the first games releasing week one of January. Unsurprisingly not much, though Crumble looks pleasant.

Don't read the comments btw. They're idiotic.

Last edited:
Splurged a little, and bought a lot of the 3DS games on sale:

• Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold
  • Etrian Odyssey V
  • Devil Survivor
  • Devil Survivor 2
  • Persona Q
  • Persona Q2
  • Radiant Historia
  • Sonic Generations
  • Stella Glow

I'm expecting this to be the last sale for these games (with them all suddenly being at historical lows), so I wanted to complete as much of my collection as I could. I considered just buying everything I didn't already have, but didn't want to spend more and this is already as much 3DS backlog as I'll ever need.

Splurged a little, and bought a lot of the 3DS games on sale:

• Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold
  • Etrian Odyssey V
  • Devil Survivor
  • Devil Survivor 2
  • Persona Q
  • Persona Q2
  • Radiant Historia
  • Sonic Generations
  • Stella Glow

I'm expecting this to be the last sale for these games (with them all suddenly being at historical lows), so I wanted to complete as much of my collection as I could. I considered just buying everything I didn't already have, but didn't want to spend more and this is already as much 3DS backlog as I'll ever need.
I picked up SMT4A, EOU2, and PQ/Q2. Might pick up Nexus just to have. That would be the last of the Atlus games beside Radiant Historia I have in DS and Untold 1, which I’ve read isn’t that great. I’ve basically run out of blocks with these games.

This game looks really rad. Came out today. Launch discount takes it down to $12. Looks like it went way under the radar with zero outlet reviews on metacritic. Seems very Sonic-y. Has 92% positive reviews with 350 reviews on Steam. I have no time to play it at the moment but I'll be eager to read Switch reviews and impressions for sure. In the meantime here's a Steam review that caught my eye:

Crumble is a platformer that lets you feel an awesome sense of speed and momentum after only a short time of getting used to the controls. I would recommend it to anyone who likes platformers with grappling hook mechanics (such as A Story About My Uncle or The Free Ones) or who just wants to play a game where you can solve platforming challenges in creative ways (Tiny and Big comes to mind here).
The game really embraces the chaos and freedom that comes with its breakable platforms and wild grappling hook physics. Instead of awkwardly balancing along narrow ledges and precisely jumping from platform to platform, the player speeds through the levels while everything crumbles behind them. I really wish there were more platformers like this, which emphasize a creative navigation through an environment instead of forcing the player to be as precise as possible while moving.
All in all I want to say that I enjoyed the game very much and it is basically everything I ever wanted from a 3D Sonic the Hedgehog title.

Will the January thread be going up sometime

But for December I didn't really purchase any games via the eShop, but all the sales or whatever looked great.

This game looks really rad. Came out today. Launch discount takes it down to $12. Looks like it went way under the radar with zero outlet reviews on metacritic. Seems very Sonic-y. Has 92% positive reviews with 350 reviews on Steam. I have no time to play it at the moment but I'll be eager to read Switch reviews and impressions for sure. In the meantime here's a Steam review that caught my eye:

I remember seeing this game before, it looked interesting, exciting and fun, but didn't know it was coming out so soon. Picked it up just now and will drop some impressions soon. Thanks, Nabbit!

I remember seeing this game before, it looked interesting, exciting and fun, but didn't know it was coming out so soon. Picked it up just now and will drop some impressions soon. Thanks, Nabbit!
No sweat, looking forward to it!

This looks great! Only thing I worry is framerate so impressions are welcome.

Chicory rules, anyone who hasn’t played it yet should definitely do so. Well worth the wait for the Switch release.
I'm playing through this right now and love all the little hd rumble effects. It also has some pretty nice controls if you do spilt joycons.

also looks super nice on the OLED screen

Last edited:
16 of the top 20 3DS eshop games are from the sega (mostly Atlus) sale. Please do a fire sale on some game Nintendo! There has to be money to be made

No sweat, looking forward to it!

This looks great! Only thing I worry is framerate so impressions are welcome.

So... yeah, I sort of hate that I wasted money on this.
Those comparing it to a 3D Sonic are right, but in the wrong way. It's got just as many frustrating moments, a horrible camera, the stupid slime's grapple usually grabs onto the wrong thing, causing death, I've clipped through the floor which was always fun, and the framerate is terrible. Absolutely dips into single digits in the temple level.

I don't like this game. lol Do NOT recommend it.

Well done Sega/Atlus, you have resurrected the 3DS with this sale. I grabbed SMT IV, Devil Survivor: Overclocked, Soul Hackers, and 7th Dragon. Looks like 2022 is going to be the year of the RPG for me.

Hey y’all, the wonderful @Joedev is gonna be making next month's thread, should be up soon! It's been hard for me to keep up, dang ol' life keeps getting in the way, so I very much appreciate them taking on the thread. They made a very nice tool to automate a lot of the process, so definitely things will be speedier to update than I ever was!

It was just important for me to make sure this thread carried on in some form, so happy to have at least gotten the ball rolling on that front. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom