• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Nintendo Direct: The Super Mario Bros. Movie | 10/6 1:05 p.m. PT

I believe i saw the leaked plot too, I even remember there was a thread about it here but I did not read it and if I don't remember anything so am good

I know most want to hate on Chris Pratt by saying his Mario voice is terrible from the 10 words or less he actually spoke… but the reality is that it really has nothing to do with Pratt. Mario has a voice in Charles Martinet and that’s the voice we’ve been hearing for nearly 30 years now. Anyone cast as Mario was going to sound off no matter who it was and they were never going to try and do an imitation of Charles Martinet’s voice… otherwise, they’d just have him voice him.

Last edited:
I do hope that inbetween this and dynamo nintendo will invest more in its production values. It will be jarring if the next 3d mario doesnt have a substantial improvement in that regard.
I wonder if part of the reason we never got a Odyssey 2 is because this film was being worked on (supposedly for 7 years now) and Nintendo knew it may set a new standard of expectation for Mario visuals, so they wanted to wait for the next Nintendo hardware to bring out Mario's best again.

General consensus online seems to be:
  • Jack Black, Toad voice actors, side character actors - nailed it.
  • So far, comedy is pretty good
  • Overall, the animation is impressing people, as it looks way beyond anything Illumination has ever done before. Some have noted it feels dreamworks or pixar esque. Whatever it is, few expected it to be this good animation wise. Illumination proving they can do more than they have been doing in this regard.
  • Only animation that bothers some is Mario, because this Mario is way more animated in general and doesn't really look like the Mario we have come to know for so many years. However, most admit it's something that could grow on them with the fuller context of the whole movie.
  • Some people seem upset that Mario sounds like Chris Pratt with a slight brooklyn accent rather than italian, even though all Mario has ever been canon wise is an italian heritage, american born, Brooklyn raised plumber. So it always made more sense that his accent was Brooklyn and not Italian, despite Charles portraying it that way for so long.

Overall, I felt it was pretty incredible and way beyond my expecations so far. I also think it's clear that Mario is doing the whole "I am from the real world not here thing" for an origine story and a lot of the voice stuff he does will be more reflective of if we were mario - like mario is a real human rather than a cartoon character. Aka, I think the full context will make the Mario voice sound better than it does in a vertical slice. Naturally, Chris Pratt fans are probably just really happy in general.

I know most what to hate on Chris Pratt by saying his Mario voice is terrible from the 10 words or less he actually spoke… but the reality is that it really has nothing to do with Pratt. Mario has a voice in Charles Martinet and that’s the voice we’ve been hearing for nearly 30 years now. Anyone cast as Mario was going to sound off no matter who it was and they were never going to try and do an imitation of Charles Martinet’s voice… otherwise, they’d just have him voice him.
and if you go to his panels where he uses the Mario voice for an extended period of time, the voice goes from this is awesome and I can't believe I am seeing this voice done live to "okay, you can start talking normal again anytime now Charles..."

Because the Mario voice he does truly only works in very, very small doses. It's actually a pretty damn annoying voice when you hear it nonstop. This isn't a knock on Charles, it's just the way the voice is. It was not a voice created or intended to ever be used in a fully voiced situation. It also, ironically, never matched Mario's actual origin story. While he IS italian, that's just his heritage. He was born in New York, raised in Brooklyn, and never speaks italian. Meaning he would realistically have a brooklyn accent, a pretty thick one, not an italian one.

BUt people never nitpicked on it because nobody cared about Mario story stuff until this movie.

"It's been nearly 40 years since the original Mario Brothers game released in Japan. Today, lots of people around the world are playing Mario games, thank you all so much".

This is how I imagined Koizumi would announce a new 3D Mario game one day lol

Ah not just leaked to him, I think I saw the exact leak he’s referring to. But thanks, hasn’t seen his reply.
Yeah, no idea. I know there was a plot leak a long time ago, and I haven't bothered to check if that leak matches this trailer, as I really don't want to remind myself of what the story was, because I really enjoyed this trailer a lot and want to let myself form an opinion based solely on the movie with full context.

Jack Black's Bowser voice is pretty close to what I always imagined he would sound like in the Paper Mario games. He's got a similar cocky, wrestler-like attitude going on there as well, so I dig it!

Jack Black's Bowser voice is pretty close to what I always imagined he would sound like in the Paper Mario games. He's got a similar cocky, wrestler-like attitude going on there as well, so I dig it!
Yeah I always thought they had a great template for this film with RPG bowser lol

Protect Miyamoto at all cost. When Miyamoto is on screen, you can be sure that we are making history.

IMG-20221006-235614.jpg
That Pikmin Bloom segment stays buried though

and if you go to his panels where he uses the Mario voice for an extended period of time, the voice goes from this is awesome and I can't believe I am seeing this voice done live to "okay, you can start talking normal again anytime now Charles..."

Because the Mario voice he does truly only works in very, very small doses. It's actually a pretty damn annoying voice when you hear it nonstop. This isn't a knock on Charles, it's just the way the voice is. It was not a voice created or intended to ever be used in a fully voiced situation. It also, ironically, never matched Mario's actual origin story. While he IS italian, that's just his heritage. He was born in New York, raised in Brooklyn, and never speaks italian. Meaning he would realistically have a brooklyn accent, a pretty thick one, not an italian one.

BUt people never nitpicked on it because nobody cared about Mario story stuff until this movie.

Totally agree.

Charles Martinet's Mario voice is fine for a few lines, but it would be grating and unpleasant for a feature-length film.

Screen-Shot-2022-10-06-at-4.11.43-PM.png

ehh… different strokes for different ailing brains
Hey some of us think the Aardman face is cute, alright? okay yeah this screencap is yeesh but the leaked key art with him and Peach looks legitimately cute imo

But is it enough to free us from the Crisp Ratt? Is it???
It's enough to make us click a different language on streaming video 😅

I’m way out of the loop but is there still a rumor / confirmation out there that this will be a musical?

I mean I’m already a sardonic goggler on this whole exercise but if it’s indeed a musical I want even less to do with it
At NYCC after the trailer, Jack Black did seem to hint at there as least being some singing, whether it's a full-on "musical" or not is still up in the air

Okay I lol'ed

Did anyone else receive a personalised tweet from the @supermariomovie twitter account? What's that about?
Yeah me too, you have to reply with "#Mamma-Mia!" in order to be entered in the giveaway for a signed blu-ray copy of the 1993 Mario Bros movie with added, angry Miyamoto commentary.

Just kidding, I don't have a Twitter account.

Last edited:

what was he expecting

"Unambitious" is not what I would call a movie that actualy tries to turn various different nighly plot-less games into a clear narrative that introduces newcomers to the series previously implied lore while trying to be an amusing film at the same time. This is a movie that could very easily end up nonsensical or rushed if not taken care of properly.

I still wish it was anyone but Pratt as he is a horrible human with horrible views and beliefs.

"Unambitious" is not what I would call a movie that actualy tries to turn various different nighly plot-less games into a clear narrative that introduces newcomers to the series previously implied lore while trying to be an amusing film at the same time. This is a movie that could very easily end up nonsensical or rushed if not taken care of properly.
we've had multiple games do just that though

What do you think of WarioWare Gold cutscenes, with Wario fully voiced?

I wonder if this movie will release in 4K. It would be the first time Nintendo hasn't been allergic to 4K lol. Maybe they will release it in 900p instead. ;)

I wonder if part of the reason we never got a Odyssey 2 is because this film was being worked on (supposedly for 7 years now) and Nintendo knew it may set a new standard of expectation for Mario visuals, so they wanted to wait for the next Nintendo hardware to bring out Mario's best again.

General consensus online seems to be:
  • Jack Black, Toad voice actors, side character actors - nailed it.
  • So far, comedy is pretty good
  • Overall, the animation is impressing people, as it looks way beyond anything Illumination has ever done before. Some have noted it feels dreamworks or pixar esque. Whatever it is, few expected it to be this good animation wise. Illumination proving they can do more than they have been doing in this regard.
  • Only animation that bothers some is Mario, because this Mario is way more animated in general and doesn't really look like the Mario we have come to know for so many years. However, most admit it's something that could grow on them with the fuller context of the whole movie.
  • Some people seem upset that Mario sounds like Chris Pratt with a slight brooklyn accent rather than italian, even though all Mario has ever been canon wise is an italian heritage, american born, Brooklyn raised plumber. So it always made more sense that his accent was Brooklyn and not Italian, despite Charles portraying it that way for so long.

Overall, I felt it was pretty incredible and way beyond my expecations so far. I also think it's clear that Mario is doing the whole "I am from the real world not here thing" for an origine story and a lot of the voice stuff he does will be more reflective of if we were mario - like mario is a real human rather than a cartoon character. Aka, I think the full context will make the Mario voice sound better than it does in a vertical slice. Naturally, Chris Pratt fans are probably just really happy in general.
Oh that would be lovely.

A main mario game with way higher production values and a semblant of story would be amazing.

I dont want illumination's ugly mario tho go away

It looks fun. I do like how things are being slightly changed from the highly sanitized aesthetic dogma that enforces the look of the main games. That said, I'm not sold on Mario's appearance yet. Though maybe that's just because it's not the same thing it's been for the last like twenty-five+ years and I'm not used to it.

And it's way too premature to come down on the voice acting. Bowser and Mario each said like two things. Sure Mario sounds... not like Mario, but that was going to happen with no matter who they cast.

Basically, there's nothing I've yet seen to make me come down on this movie. We'll see how things go.

You're not strictly wrong, but I do hope you're right in that future films could be bigger and more ambitious. My expectations there are set pretty low - for context, I generally agree with critics in saying that the two Sonic movies aren't that far off in quality aside from 2 being more game-like.
I mean in general you should never really go (to) crazy with films that may have sequels in the future. Or when you did something crazy in the past that has burned you. Once people get used to the concept and it’s good then bring out some more stuff. Like Iron Man was pretty tame then everything that followed keep turning the dial up.

we've had multiple games do just that though
We have, as a matter of fact, not. Odyssey is the closest to do it and it does it by simply leaving everything up to interpretation that requires a meta knowledge of the franchise history to even get the implication of the nods.

I don't care if the Mario movie is ambitious or not. Just make a good movie.

It's not like the bar for video game movies is high. Getting a 65% on Rottentomatoes is a miracle for video game movies.

I honestly don't get the more tepid responses to this, we've never seen the Mario universe rendered on this scale and the trailer promises an action-packed adventure through a world we all know and love. What more could you want? Of course they're not gonna radically reimagine the IP, but in terms of a movie adaptation, I'm not sure it gets much better than this, Chris Pratt nonwithstanding.

Like if you love Mario games, and love the setting and lore, I don't see why you would think this is "unambitious." Is it gonna be a great movie? I don't think so, but if you've ever bing bing wahoo'd surely it will be a lot of fun if it's anything like that trailer.

HOLY FUCK! I mean... Mamma Mia, you guys!

I wasn't expecting to LIKE that much..

of course, FUCK Chris Pratt and his stupid ass voice... he made so much suspense on his performance, talking about reinventing the character and a new take and so on.. and he is JUST doing his normal voice, not even attempting something different lol..

BUT everything else, of how the trailer was presented... so much different of anything Illumination has put out;.. the humor wasn't forced, the visuals are incredible.. like.. you can see how much budget was injected on this.

Kamek and Toad sound perfectly serviceable, but MAN... Jack Black's Bowser! You can truly see how much of difference it makes when the person acting CARES.. just the little segment that showed him after Pratt, you see the contrast. He's giving EVERYTHING for the character.. and they even modeled Bowser's face after him too! His expressions are almost 1:1!

Too bad we didn't get to hear anything out of Luigi besides a few grunts, but I'm not worried about Charlie Day's performance.

BUT GUYS, GUYS!.. THE BRAZILIAN PORTUGUESE DUB!! The usual Pratt voice over here IS DOING AN ITALIAN ACCENT and channeling A MARTINET IMPRESSION! HOLY SHIT!!

Toad too, is going for something akin the old DiC cartoons and I CAN'T BELIEVE how lucky we were on this! I was expecting the worst!

... still.. not convinced on Illumination's way of telling a story, but this is basically a Nintendo product, with Illumination being the vehicle. Even KOJI KONDO is composing the score! No other video game adaptation had this privilege of having so many hands that created the original source material, working on the movie itself... This... certainly changed my opinion a little bit...

I'm way less worried... and kinda excited?

Last edited:

of course, FUCK Chris Pratt and his stupid ass voice... he made so much suspense on his performance, talking about reiventing the character and a new take and so on.. and he is JUST doing his normal voice, not even attempting something different lol..

BUT everything else, of how the trailer was presented... so much different of anything Illumination has put out;.. the humor wasn't forced, the visuals are incredible.. like.. you can see how much budget was injected on this.

Kamek and Toad sound perfectly serviceable, but MAN... Jack Black's Bowser! You can truly see how much of different it makes when the person acting CARES.. just the little segment that showed him after Pratt, you see the contrast. He's giving EVERYTHING for the character.. and they even modeled Bowser's face after him too! His expressions are almost 1:1!

Too bad we didn't get to hear anything out of Luigi besides a few grunt, but I'm not worried about Charlie Day's performance.

BUT GUYS, GUYS!.. THE BRAZILIAN PORTUGUESE DUB!! The usual Pratt voice over here IS DOING AN ITALIAN ACCENT and channeling A MARTINET IMPRESSION! HOLY SHIT!!

Toad too, is going for something akin the old DiC cartoons and I CAN'T BELIEVE how lucky we were on this! I was expecting the worst!

... still.. not convinced on Illumination's way of telling a story, but this is basically a Nintendo product, with Illumination being the vehicle. Even KOJI KONDO is composing the score! No other video game adaptation had this privilege of having so many hands that created the original source material, working on the movie itself... This... certainly changed my opinion a little bit...

2023 is shaping up to be pretty good for Nintendo, I'm excited too.

It's not like the bar for video game movies is high. Getting a 65% on Rottentomatoes is a miracle for video game movies.
I would honestly be shocked if the critical reception to these movies is that much off from the Sonic films, tbh. Not a critical darling but still liked by the general public.

I mean, I'd love an interesting, critically acclaimed film too. But my expectations ain't that high.

A delayed movie is eventually good - (not) Miyamoto

of course, FUCK Chris Pratt and his stupid ass voice... he made so much suspense on his performance, talking about reiventing the character and a new take and so on.. and he is JUST doing his normal voice, not even attempting something different lol..

Kamek and Toad sound perfectly serviceable, but MAN... Jack Black's Bowser! You can truly see how much of different it makes when the person acting CARES.. just the little segment that showed him after Pratt, you see the contrast. He's giving EVERYTHING for the character.. and they even modeled Bowser's face after him too! His expressions are almost 1:1!

Too bad we didn't get to hear anything out of Luigi besides a few grunt, but I'm not worried about Charlie Day's performance.

Yeah never in my wildest dreams did I think the movie would look this good. That's why some of the responses kinda confuse me.

It definitely does not look cheap, that was my fear with Illumination but the money is on the screen.

What would even make this movie “ambitious”? Bowser biting a penguin in half? Mario raising a daughter with precocious talent for the piano while working as a single father? YOSHI HAS RABIES? Movies like How to Train Your Dragon and Ratatouille have super meaningful stories despite having relatively straightforward premises.

I don’t love the execution of the penguins attitudes, they give me dreamworks vibes much less innocent than the games, but I do love the idea of contextual all the different “nations” of the Mario universe by seeing Bowser take them over.
Yeah, I'm conflicted about the penguins. I like the idea, but they look... off. The way they move, their expression. They seem like generic cartoon characters with a Nintendo penguin skin.

nice comparison of the voices
chris pratt, french nails it, nice mixture of normal speaking voice and martinet, german speaking voice gives me serious martinet vibes but shouting is a bit gruff, italian is kind of there i guess, good to see the so called italian plumber actually speaking italian

I would honestly be shocked if the critical reception to these movies is that much off from the Sonic films, tbh. Not a critical darling but still liked by the general public.

I mean, I'd love an interesting, critically acclaimed film too. But my expectations ain't that high.
The big thing about the Sonic movie was the legs on the first one. If Nintendo can get that from this movie then they’ll definitely be pleased.
What would even make this movie “ambitious”? Bowser biting a penguin in half? Mario raising a daughter with precocious talent for the piano while working as a single father? YOSHI HAS RABIES? Movies like How to Train Your Dragon and Ratatouille have super meaningful stories despite having relatively straightforward premises.
Probably something that wasn’t bog standard Mario fare to some people. I agree that keeping the story to a KISS standard is probably or the best.

look I’m gonna say it

I really hate what they did to the Mario music as post-9/11 movie trailer schlock
I'm internally chuckling about the idea that 9/11 had something to do with movie trailers' renditions of themes becoming somber and dark

9/11 really affected us all huh

Movie looks great. Mind you in not a snob, and while I concur Illumination is not on the level of Pixar or Dreamworks as they are not as high budget (which is FINE, not everything needs to cost a billion dollars)…. This so far looks fantastic.

So I am going to take a stab and say when Miyamoto announced a slight delay and now Chris-san saying they are wrapping up the final animations - my guess is Nintendo saw the rough cut and pushed them to go more and bump the animation up.

I do hope that inbetween this and dynamo nintendo will invest more in its production values. It will be jarring if the next 3d mario doesnt have a substantial improvement in that regard.
one’s a game and one can bake at the computer farm for a week

This.

We’ve seen so many failed videogame properties on the big screen, I would just settle for good. Although I enjoyed Sonic (I love Jim Carrey in it) and have a softspot for the Silent Hill movie.

Its amusing that visually the film looks so much better than the usual illumination flare that it looks like it came from dreamworks or pixar.

Animation looks fantastic! But why is Mario so surprised at seeing the Mushroom kingdom? I hope it just means he's a first time visitor there, and not something like human Chris got sucked into this world and turned into Mario. I hate that trope.
I assume it's the former and not the latter. You know, the classic 80's backstory, not some "real human turns into Mario" thing.

Back
Top Bottom