• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So he can Ass you questions
kxSU9OZ.jpg

Last edited:
My late 2024 stuff is informed speculation. It's not baseless but doesn't have the firmest foundation... yet.
After your last reports on hardware, it's not something I'm really putting any stock in. It's hard to believe a system like that was cancelled after so long without more outlets picking up on it, especially when we have the Switch OLED looking suspiciously like a lightly reworked Switch Pro.

After your last reports on hardware, it's not something I'm really putting any stock in. It's hard to believe a system like that was cancelled after so long without more outlets picking up on it, especially when we have the Switch OLED looking suspiciously like a lightly reworked Switch Pro.
The Switch OLED looking suspiciously like a lightly reworked Switch Pro is actually the reason I believe in the "abandoned Switch revision" narrative. 😅

The Switch OLED looking suspiciously like a lightly reworked Switch Pro is actually the reason I believe in the "abandoned Switch revision" narrative. 😅
It's not terribly consistent with the narrative that "Switch Pro" devkits were pulled like 6-9 months after Switch OLED launched.

A cancelled "Switch Pro" seems fairly likely, given the evidence, but not in that timeframe.

Exactly. That's the thing with what is going on with Nintendo is that we can use whatever they do or don't do and twist into confirming whatever we believe. Just like this stinky horse game lol. We got some saying it makes them believe there will be a June Direct but it could be used to argue that it does the opposite.

We really don't know much. We may have some good hunches. Like with the hardware, it's becoming increasingly unlikely next gen hardware is coming this fiscal year let alone this year. As for the direct, the whole investor's meeting is a big question mark. What is Nintendo's plan to deal with them because I think we can all agree saying "hey guys, listen, we only have one game with a release date upcoming. Invest in us..." isn't great lmao. So it definitely seems like there has to be more clarity on that front.

Late 2024 for new hardware makes me believe in Prime 4 2023 even more.
Metroid: Samus Returns and Metroid Prime 4 were announced on the same day.

One was the final major original release on the Nintendo 3DS.

The other will be the final major original release on the Nintendo Switch.

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

it's so cool that Nintendo decided "fuck it, we don't like the Aula Pro timeline either" and canned it

Late 2024 for the next Nintendo console is perfect, it gives me another year to wish for Wind Waker to finally come to Switch.

Digital Foundry also heard of a recalled devkit. Ultimately, it doesn't matter all that much. What was once planned is no longer.

My informed speculation window of release for succesor hardware is late 2024. If I had more to base it on, I'd report it but I rather wait a bit longer and let things develop further and be more concrete.

You said you hadn’t heard about any direct this month?
I have not heard of any Direct in June, at the moment.

Digital Foundry also heard of a recalled devkit. Ultimately, it doesn't matter all that much. What was once planned is no longer.

My informed speculation window of release for succesor hardware is late 2024. If I had more to base it on, I'd report it but I rather wait a bit longer and let things develop further and be more concrete.

I have not heard of any Direct in June, at the moment.
Oh, I definitely believe that Nintendo cancelled something, the timeline just seems completely wrong from the public evidence and the general lack of big news stories around publishers being pissed at Nintendo for that to have anything to do with a devkit recall that happened in 2022.

Some of the earlier rumors (in general, not singling out anyone in particular) around Drake always seemed a bit off to me, and it's occurred to me recently that some of the weirder details sound a whole lot like what the Switch OLED was probably originally supposed to be whenever someone at Nintendo decided it needed enough video output bandwidth the display a 4k image. Now that we have some pretty hard evidence that the Switch OLED we got was not what Nintendo set out to build, I think the confusion between that system and the upcoming one powered by Drake probably runs quite a lot deeper than originally thought, as they were seemingly both intended to be 4k Switches.

this is your biannual reminder that every single third party publisher fucking despises Nintendo right now

if you think you're mad about no Switch 2 imagine how the companies who sunk many thousands of man hours (and accordingly who knows how much money) into it feel
Ah so this is why Square refuses to make Chrono Break

good, people wanted snes-era nintendo back
Pretty sure you're thinking of N64-era Nintendo, after Yamauchi pissed all those devs off and told them not to develop for Nintendo consoles anymore after they requested discs for the N64.

SNES-era Nintendo has been the Switch, with Square back and a ton of RPGs and platformers and Metroid and stuff

Edit: in case it's not clear, I'm mostly just poking fun here 😅

Last edited:
this is your biannual reminder that every single third party publisher fucking despises Nintendo right now

if you think you're mad about no Switch 2 imagine how the companies who sunk many thousands of man hours (and accordingly who knows how much money) into it feel
but like how can be people mad about product that is not revealed and was never promised from Nintendo to release in 2023

Do you still think Nintendo as something relevant for late 2023, at the moment? can't recall if was you that entertained the chance of Metroid Prime 4 or 2D Mario for the fall. there is still a chance?
I think he said Prime 4 by end of Fiscal Year

Prime 4 2023 makes a lot of sense to me honestly

"Hype" enough to carry enthusiasts for a holiday season but not enough of a guaranteed seller to be worth keeping for Switch 2

For sure. And it's not like they can't still have an updated version for Switch 2 as well.

I will never stop believing in a June Direct, altough this is not a believeing at this point it's just straight up needs to happen. "Nintendo gonna be Nintendo" does not work here, you need to understand the situation in which we are now, would be really funny when on June 23rd some investor asks what do you have after Pikmin and Furukawa says: trust me bro.

Nintendo probably at least need that semptember game and third party trailers just to ride until the september direct

A mini with F-Zero, FF Tactics, the MGS Collection and other tp stuff can at least hold on until september

Pretty sure you're thinking of N64-era Nintendo, after Yamauchi pissed all those devs off and told them not to develop for Nintendo consoles anymore after they requested discs for the N64.

SNES-era Nintendo has been the Switch, with Square back and a ton of RPGs and platformers and Metroid and stuff

Edit: in case it's not clear, I'm mostly just poking fun here 😅
That's what I mean, the behind the scenes devkit/hardware stuff is the new "N64 is using cartridges" moment 😎

Kinda sad how the sentiment is now “yeah there won’t be any big games left on the Switch” and at the same time “next console is more than a year away”. I really hope we get at least a few interesting games this year
I mean we got Zelda and are going to get Pikmin 4. Add a October/November title to that and you already have your few interesting games this year.

Kinda sad how the sentiment is now “yeah there won’t be any big games left on the Switch” and at the same time “next console is more than a year away”. I really hope we get at least a few interesting games this year
Stinky Horse is the new minecraft!

Nintendo probably at least need that semptember game and third party trailers just to ride until the september direct

A mini with F-Zero, FF Tactics, the MGS Collection and other tp stuff can at least hold on until september
Sega and Namco should also have some Switch stuff to show. Samba and Baten Katios cannot be their only Switch releases for the remainder of the year. (Namco also has Naruto but that's kind of a re-release).

2D Mario, Prime 4, Pikmin 4, FE Remake. Not to mention we got Tears, Engage and more this year. Really solid for console that's "supposed to be dead".

2D Mario, Prime 4, Pikmin 4, FE Remake. Not to mention we got Tears, Engage and more this year. Really solid for console that's "supposed to be dead".
We even got DK and some cool remasters allegedly floating too not to mention some cool DLC and a good deal of third party games including exclusives like Rain Code and the Level 5 games on the way. So much awesome stuff ahead for Switch!

I‘m positive on 2D Mario but similarly to the other games you’re mentioning, it’s not confirmed to exist or to be released this year
Woops - accidentally posted before I'd replied.

The question to ask is: would Nintendo deliberately leave their best ever software market with nothing much to play? Simply put, they wouldn't, because they want to keep making money.

I‘m positive on 2D Mario but similarly to the other games you’re mentioning, it’s not confirmed to exist or to be released this year
Honestly, this. I see this all over the internet where people try to reason games into existence when there is no indication they exist and then get all upset when they, uh, don't exist.

Biggest one being Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD where the logic of "Nintendo is porting all the Wii U games" made these games a logical conclusion that people have been saying are locks for like 4 years now and there is still no indication that they actually exist.

I feel the same with 2D Mario. I haven't seen any credible rumors besides assumptions based on brand synergy with the movie or going down the check list of Nintendo IP without a new title on Switch yet over the last few months everyone is acting like it's a confirmed, real game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom