• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve said before that an early August Direct makes sense. Cut down from three decent/good Directs a year to two great ones. Each one outlines the next 6 months and can have more reveals as a result.

I realize it would be after Pikmin 4, so there would be no games on the slate at all from Nintendo at that point. But maybe that’s their new strategy going forward? More surprise and excitement.
For a presentation that's traditionally meant to be the biggest each year, E3 is in an awkward position on a Feb-Jun-Sep cadence, since it covers the shortest period of time that's usually the slowest in terms of new releases, meaning going big at E3 often entails showing off the holiday game or next holiday's game that they'll end up covering again down the line. With E3 finally dead, Nintendo has more flexibility to reorient their marketing schedule, and it makes sense to apportion out the June Direct.

September Directs have been a staple of the Switch era, though, ostensibly due to their proximity to TGS. Would Nintendo really shift those up to August? It would be a relatively minor change, but those have stuck around even in recent years.

predictions:

• mid june: pikmin 4 trailer/direct + previews
  • mid/late june: everybody’s 1 2 switch (or something else) shadowdropped
  • late june: partner direct
  • late july: prime 4 trailer
  • somewhere between june/july: mk8 dx bcp wave 5
  • mid september: general direct

prime 4 trailer and partner direct can switch places.
Why would nintendo feature a prime 4 trailer outside of a direct? It would be a perfect ending.

Why would nintendo feature a prime 4 trailer outside of a direct? It would be a perfect ending.
For some reason since dread only sold about 3 million units and prime remastered being shadow dropped, people are now convinced nintendo will treat the prime 4 rereveal on the same level of a kirby spin off or a mario sports game announcement

Last edited:
For a presentation that's traditionally meant to be the biggest each year, E3 is in an awkward position on a Feb-Jun-Sep cadence, since it covers the shortest period of time that's usually the slowest in terms of new releases, meaning going big at E3 often entails showing off the holiday game or next holiday's game that they'll end up covering again down the line. With E3 finally dead, Nintendo has more flexibility to reorient their marketing schedule, and it makes sense to apportion out the June Direct.

September Directs have been a staple of the Switch era, though, ostensibly due to their proximity to TGS. Would Nintendo really shift those up to August? It would be a relatively minor change, but those have stuck around even in recent years.
I would’ve said September like they did last year, which has been their traditional “pre-TGS” Direct, but them attending Gamescom and having Nintendo Live Seattle in early September (not that I think they’ll announce anything there) has me reconsidering. Early August also splits the difference between June and September pretty well.

All that being said, I think early August is the latest we get a Direct. It all depends on how much they value the JP partners that have traditionally had games featured just before TGS.

there's some irony in being more willing to believe people saying there won't be a direct in part because new switch versions never came out after a bunch of these same people repeatedly said they would
Nate and Grubb are very reliable in my eyes, even with misses in the past I still tend to take them at their word when something new crops up.

And Nate did have a misfire on the successor timing, definitely, but I don’t think Grubb or Dring ever said “it’s happening.”

Speculations have lost it’s magic. We’ve lost people along the way which made all this more interesting. I remember the list of games with fake names/hints that really focused the speculations from Nintendo connected sources. Now we only have hints via 3rd parties/developer sources with Nintendo playing closer to the chest than ever… in combination with having most games I wanted on Switch Nintendo definitely lost their momentum for me, which fit’s to the situation we only have Pikmin 4 scheduled.
I feel like back with the Wii, I wanted something new, more exciting Wii. The more powerful Wii U wasn’t it. That’s the main reason for still folllowing the speculations. I’m really curious how Nintendo avoids a Switch U2 situation.

Nate and Grubb are very reliable in my eyes, even with misses in the past I still tend to take them at their word when something new crops up.

And Nate did have a misfire on the successor timing, definitely, but I don’t think Grubb or Dring ever said “it’s happening.”
Mixing thing sone has heard with own opinions to dismiss other opinions was what lost me. Still remember when Covid popped up, the February/March direct wasn’t announced and I thought Covid could have changed plans. I was told that I don’t have a clue how directs/Nintendo operates, Directs are planned month in advance bla bla…

Grubb's only misfire was the ports of the HD Zelda Remasters from Wii U. He got a bit carried away in excitement and how Nintendo tries to have a zelda game a year that he pushed that out. Now he may be right Nintendo is sitting on it like he was with Metroid but it's all moot now.

With that said Grubb isn't as surefire on Nintendo like he is with Playstation and Xbox. I think he prefers to just speculate about them then give any leaks or whatnot.

Imagine you are Nintendo, in February you reveal absolutely nothing on what's coming after Pikmin 4. And then you will wait all the way till August or even September to reveal something. Don't try to even compare it to last year, we knew about Pokemon, Bayonetta 3, Splatoon and Rabbids and this time, now we literally know nothing. Nothing. 0. Zero. June Direct is not if but when. Not if but when.

Last edited:
Isn't there incest in Genealogy of the Holy War? Wonder if they'll take that out of a remake or leave it in.
Fire Emblem Fates and Three Houses are not any better regards to incest and messed up family bloodlines lol.

If anything, I think they will be faithful to the remake considering Echoes was a literal 1:1 remake with a few additional new story content added.

Isn't there incest in Genealogy of the Holy War? Wonder if they'll take that out of a remake or leave it in.
Specifically if you want to know (I'll be as vague as possible)

There is one major confirmed relationship between half siblings (one a playable character one an npc) that is a major plot point later in the game, though the characters involved were unaware of this fact. It's unavoidable and the plot literally relies upon the children born of this incest to exist and one of the characters learning this fact. I don't think hand waving it like the next case would work at all.

The second case is between two playable characters, and the game is intentionally coy about if the two characters in question are siblings or distant relatives. The girl looks a lot like a "dead sister" the male character had, and the female's back story would line up perfectly with her to be said dead sister, and they share the same common ancestor between the holy blood mechanic. So while it's pretty obvious what the game is implying, it's never been officially confirmed. Official word is they are "distant relatives" which I assume the remake will use as well. Most players end up doing this pairing as it's the only way to get a specific holy weapon.

The final one is a glitch where you can manipulate two half sibling playable characters to get married by exploiting the jealousy system and some faulty 90's rpg programming. The game never acknowledges this and this will probably be fixed in the remake. As this is a gen 2 relationship, there's no children or risk of screwing up children units by doing this.

Just to clarify my comments about holy blood. In FE4 most/everyone(?)) is a descendent of one 12 ancient crusaders and has either major or minor holy blood inherited. This influences stat growths and who can wield the holy weapons (must have a major bloodline to do so). Due to this, in theory anyone with shared major/minor holy blood is technically a "distant relative", though for 95% of the cast it's like 12th cousin removed at best.

Imagine you are Nintendo, in February you reveal absolutely nothing on what's coming after Pikmin 4. And then you will wait all the way till August or even September to reveal something. Don't try to even compare it to last year, we knew about Pokemon, Bayonetta 3, Splatoon and Rabbids and this time, now we literally know nothing. Nothing. 0. Zero. June Direct is not if but when. Not if but when.
At this point, with the huge catalog they have after 6 years, I don't think it's so important to have a June Direct full of games for the second half of this year. A September Direct with a couple of games for the holiday season + Pokemon and Zelda DLCs might be enough.

Directs generally announce Nintendo stuff 2 to 6 months in advance. Look back at February Directs, which have August announcements but rarely an April Nintendo game. I think a September Direct is too late. Unless they have nothing for September and October they will announce something this summer, even if it's just Twitter drops.

At this point, with the huge catalog they have after 6 years, I don't think it's so important to have a June Direct full of games for the second half of this year. A September Direct with a couple of games for the holiday season + Pokemon and Zelda DLCs might be enough.
They only have 2 games in their pipeline right now, Pikmin 4 - 2 months from now and Prime 4 - TBA. That's even less than Wii U had on it's death bed, which is just really funny. And they still want to sell 15 million in this FY. They can't just wait until September to announce something. Not to mention that they are attending Gamescom (August 23-27th) and they are clearly not attending with Miyamoto showing how month old Pikmin 4 plays, they are attending with Tezuka showing how new 2D Mario plays, the game that is gonna be announced next month.

This is the best post I've ever read in this website.
Originally posted by Raccoon, but it stuck with me ever since.

you all know how much I enjoy humoring even the most fringe possibilities but they will 100% announce some upcoming games before Gamescom. saying there will be nothing until September is just not reasonable imo

I mean some people here pointed it out already but what's the point on such a packed H1 if there was nothing to announce until September.
I know at this point it may be copium but seems.... unrealistic. Thinking about Nintendo showing Splatoon 3 Side Order with just a Twitter drop feels... bad. I don't know.

Would be super weird to reach Gamescom with only Pikmin, wouldn't be? But it's Nintendo, after all... Eh, would gladly take an L but I just don't see no game announcements happening until, at least, mid September.

I know there is a presentation today but does Sony have any first party games dated as of right now? They also have AAA 3rd party support so its not as important but if Sony can go some time with out many games dated I'm sure Nintendo could go a few weeks after Pikmin 4.

I know there is a presentation today but does Sony have any first party games dated as of right now? They also have AAA 3rd party support so its not as important but if Sony can go some time with out many games dated I'm sure Nintendo could go a few weeks after Pikmin 4.
I don't think Spiderman 2 is dated, but we know it's coming fall of this year (it likely gets dated today). Beyond that though we know of Wolverine and Death Stranding 2 as first party exclusives, along with a few 3rd party "launch" exclusives like Final Fantasy 16, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, and the Silent Hill 2 Remake. I'd also name the KotoR remake but I'm not convinced that's actually going to happen.

They only have 2 games in their pipeline right now, Pikmin 4 - 2 months from now and Prime 4 - TBA. That's even less than Wii U had on it's death bed, which is just really funny. And they still want to sell 15 million in this FY. They can't just wait until September to announce something. Not to mention that they are attending Gamescom (August 23-27th) and they are clearly not attending with Miyamoto showing how month old Pikmin 4 plays, they are attending with Tezuka showing how new 2D Mario plays, the game that is gonna be announced next month.

Originally posted by Raccoon, but it stuck with me ever since.
Do we actually know if their Gamescom presence is going to be something more than a showcase for already announced games? Because that's what they usually do everywhere apart from pre-covid E3 and may be TGS.

Not having any first party announcements until September wouldn't be that serious. They could show Metroid Prime 4 and 2D Mario in June, but then... what's left until the next gen console comes out? That would be even worse.
Nah, not first party games until September, just NSO retro games and DLCs.

(I hope I'm terribly wrong)

It's a bit different. Demand is super high for the PS5 and there are big 3rd party games that have come out and will come out.

I would’ve said September like they did last year, which has been their traditional “pre-TGS” Direct, but them attending Gamescom and having Nintendo Live Seattle in early September (not that I think they’ll announce anything there) has me reconsidering. Early August also splits the difference between June and September pretty well.

All that being said, I think early August is the latest we get a Direct. It all depends on how much they value the JP partners that have traditionally had games featured just before TGS.
August would give them a bit more leeway than September for announcing their holiday games, and since it's more of a lull period, Nintendo wouldn't have to compete for attention as much. I guess it depends on how much being right next to TGS actually matters

Do we actually know if their Gamescom presence is going to be something more than a showcase for already announced games? Because that's what they usually do everywhere apart from pre-covid E3 and may be TGS.

Not having any first party announcements until September wouldn't be that serious. They could show Metroid Prime 4 and 2D Mario in June, but then... what's left until the next gen console comes out? That would be even worse.
Nah, not first party games until September, just NSO retro games and DLCs.

(I hope I'm terribly wrong)

such as?

Konami will announce next month a MGS “Classic Collection” that will include MGS1, 2 and 3. Its confirmed to be multiplatform.

Hopefully this includes Switch.

Getting this post framed

August would give them a bit more leeway than September for announcing their holiday games, and since it's more of a lull period, Nintendo wouldn't have to compete for attention as much. I guess it depends on how much being right next to TGS actually matters
I think they're typically at least a week before TGS.

The only issue I have with the no announcement until September is that we have to assume the September game would be a remaster or something sent to die like the 1,2 switch sequel shitshow. But predicting the latter is meh. As for the former, would Nintendo really do it again? I don't know. Probably not. So is it a world of possibility? Sure. Would I want to stake my claim in that world? Nah.

Either way too many variables and question marks for me to be confident in any option. I'm sure this thread will prove to be entertaining though

i've seen the opinion that Nintendo isn't doing a June Direct because they only ever did it out of tradition because of E3 or whatever alongside the opinion that they might do an August Direct a few times now and I just wanna say that I find that take very strange

it just feels very muddled, they care that much about the E3 thing but suddenly don't care about TGS traditions just because? do they care about traditions or not?

If a direct is in September, it would mean they don't have big stuff coming for the holiday and it would also mean they have been focusing on their new platform. Nintendo has been pretty consistent with announcing big projects every year for the Switch and they have been announced far ahead of the release date (by Nintendo standards). A void in big releases means new hardware is coming and who knows maybe they will reveal it in September too.

I just think we've gone through this conversation before, expectant that Nintendo absolutely HAS to tell us their slate for the rest of the year, and then the timing gets narrower and narrower and suddenly it's September and we still know nothing. It feels like Nintendo's pattern has consistently been that the less they share the better things seem to work out. It only feels desperate on our corners of the internet, with the occasional social media comments begging for news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom