• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, there’s no way Nintendo at least somewhat saw the TOTK delay coming. For one, it’s Zelda, and they’ve been through this many times. But additionally, they already had a 20M+ seller in Pokémon to fill the holidays. It’s not like there was a gaping hole in the 2022 release calendar that Zelda was going to fill.

Not expecting a Direct until September. Think 2 directs a year is the standard going forward, unfortunately
If that's the case then after July they would have zero games dated until this Direct. They typically try to avoid this, mainly to appease investors.

That would be crazy soon, no? XC3 wasn’t even a year ago. That feels like a Switch 2 reveal to me.
Depends how long it's actually been in the works, but yeah, to me it feels like it would be too soon to see a new Monolith Soft title after everything they've been juggling. That being said, the production groups for Xenoblade and Zelda/the action game are separate entities, though it's difficult to know how much overlap there is.

We've also no idea if the action game seemingly underway at Monolith Soft is any way related to the 2017 hiring call, or how much work was done at that time, and whether any of it has survived into the current project. It would probably be pretty low down my list of Likely Things for a June Direct.

partner, maybe a direct mini in june/july with one semi-major announcement for later in the year and then a proper September Direct around the live thing in Seattle

Magnificent ST; I look forward to watching my sanity spiral once more 😋

Expecting a general Direct in September, that way if it comes sooner I'm pleasantly surprised

We have three confirmed titles from Nintendo for Switch remaining post-Zelda:

• Pikmin 4 (EPD, July 2023 - accidentally confirmed by Miyamoto in like, 2015, for a laugh; officially revealed in 2022)
  • Metroid Prime 4 (Retro Studios, TBA - foolishly teased by Nintendo in 2017, murdered by Bamco, revived by Retro in presumably late 2018)
  • Detective Pikachu (Creatures Inc, TBA - announced, probably for a laugh, in 2019; apparently 'nearing release' as of September 2022 according to LeakedIn, I mean LinkedIn)

They released the DLC way too quickly. Makes me wonder if they have something else in store, to be announced soon. Maybe something not as big as Xeno games.
They did? 9 months is no different than Torna. The short reveal-to-release marketing cycle just seems to be how Nintendo is handling DLC marketing these days, so I don’t think that’s really indicative of anything either.

Unlike Fell Xenologue, which was pretty obviously rushed out, I don’t see that with Future Redeemed. I had April pegged as the month for a while, I only eventually moved to June because I wasn’t anticipating such a short marketing cycle.

• Pikmin 4 (EPD, July 2023 - accidentally confirmed by Miyamoto in like, 2015, for a laugh; officially revealed in 2022)
  • Metroid Prime 4 (Retro Studios, TBA - foolishly teased by Nintendo in 2017, murdered by Bamco, revived by Retro in presumably late 2018)
  • Detective Pikachu (Creatures Inc, TBA - announced, probably for a laugh, in 2019; apparently 'nearing release' as of September 2022 according to LeakedIn, I mean LinkedIn)
Ah yes, the "announced way too early" trilogy.

I'm gonna assume a June direct announcing more remasters and remakes of older games.

A Direct in June makes sense, but after last year I'm gonna be pessimistic and say no June Direct and no Switch successor in the September Direct like people are hoping

Pikmin 4 definitely features in the June Direct, as Miyamoto screams "BUY IT YOU COWARDS"

Metroid Prime 4 features in the June Direct, as One More Thing; in an ideal world, it's a NOVEMBER 2023 RELEASE; more likely it's a 2024 tease

Detective Pikachu doesn't feature in the June Direct, because Pokemon is too important and has to be announced in its own weird, meandering marketing presentations where the Pokemon Company uses stuffed toys to send weird signals to its weird fans

Great OP, @Raccoon - thank you!

My three big guesses to round out the Switch life cycle - possibly cross-generational if a new system is indeed looming in the next 5-17 months:

1. Metroid Prime 4
  2. Super Mario Odyssey 2
  3. New Donkey Kong (2D or 3D)
I also believe we're getting Metroid Prime 2 and 3 ports (not as enhanced as Metroid Prime Remastered) in the lead-up to MP4.

When a new system comes, whether it's 2023, 2024, or 2025, we'll be seeing Wind Waker / Twilight Princess 4K to bridge the Zelda gap since we're far away from a shiny new 3D Zelda after TOTK. Don't @ me on this one, please.

Hype boat boarded, let's go!

EDIT: Also, definitely getting dat Direct in June.

tumblr_prjoxgipkl1x8t86vo4_540.gif

partner, maybe a direct mini in june/july with one semi-major announcement for later in the year and then a proper September Direct around the live thing in Seattle
Nintendo Live has happened outside of the US in the past and as far as I know hasn't historically been tied to any announcements. It would be a great space to demonstrate new hardware but that's probably a stretch on my paet

Im feeling defeated like Spencer yesterday. If switch 2 comes this year then it will be great, but if not we will still have bangers for the rest of the year. I believe in nintendo.

I'm really hoping that this will be our last general direct of this year, because I'm betting that Nintendo is preparing a heavy focus on the Switch 2 in the later half of 2023 with its reveal coming after the direct and its own presentation coming in September replacing a General Nintendo Direct.

Is that a new direct speculaton thread i smell? Mario galaxy 3, ocarina of time 2, and pikmin 7 lets goo!

Getting in my hot takes early: They could literally only announce a new Donkey Kong game and I'd be happy.

It’s May. Nate usually hears about the direct a few weeks to a month or so before the direct. We’ll definitely know if there’s a June direct before this month ends.

After what feels like an eternity of Smash or Zelda taking all the spotlight in Directs I'm ready for something big and different.

I'm SOOOOO tired of waiting for a big new Mario or Donkey Kong game. Either of those would make a Nintendo Direct for me.

Trying to figure out what we can reasonably expect from Nintendo in terms of annoucements a events, one could easily argue that a blank H2 line up as Nintendo has in latter half of 2023 screams the necessity of a summer event to clear things up, but as we know Nintendo is really weird in this terms. we're talking about the company that shadowdropped Metroid Prime Remastered, so we really can't deny the chance of a September Direct in which games are announced for October/November.

That said, if we round up all the rumors about this last Switch lifespan, there is plenty to be excited. games like 2D Mario, DK, Metroid prime 4, FE4 Remake and a bunch of DLCs/Remasters/casual games will accompany us till summer '24, in my opinion.

- new hardware is not coming out this year, that's pretty obvious now. If you still believe it does, that's fine, but you will be a damn disappointed.

- at earnings someone will ask about hardware and they will just say "we are always working on it, nothing to announce at this time", they will talk about how Mario Movie is doing great, "definitely more movie projects in the future". Earnings are just 3 days before TotK so the idea that they will say something significant about new hardware (ala launch window etc.) is kinda funny. Remember that Nintendo could have made the earnings late April or one week prior but they did not, pretty much speaks for itself that hardware news will be non-existent aside from one investor who will bring it up.

- Direct in mid June, Pikmin 4, Prime 4 shown, also 2D Mario for October along with things like Detective Pikachu, that Good-Feel Goemon like game, Side Order and maybe some smaller spinoffs ala Tomodachi to squeze the casual market for one last time. When you add things like last Mario Kart waves, Pokemon DLC and potentially Zelda DLC to close the year it's not bad lineup at all, especially when your top million seller releases next week.

- as you figured the "No 2H titles = hardware" theory will be dead.

- Pikmin 4 Direct month before launch, hosted by Miyamoto.

And as for that 2D Mario game I mentioned:

New. Super Mario Bros. Wii announcement at E3 2009 - November 2009 release.
New Super Mario Bros. 2 announcement in April 2012 - July 2012 release.
New. Super Mario Bros. U announcement at E3 2012 - November 2012 release (altough this one is tied to hardware launch/reveal). "The prototype NSMB Mii. was shown at E3 2011".
Super Mario Maker 2 announcement in February 2019 - June 2019 release.

So for most 2D Mario games, (apart from only DS and Maker Wii U) 4-5months from reveal to release at maximum. They are just waiting for TotK to be released to announce this, not to mention the whole former 2D Mario guys + bunch of other Splatoon 2/Octo Expansion designers missing from Splatoon 3.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Last edited:
Hopes:
Something something Mario & Luigi
Something something EarthBound
Something something Tomodachi Life

Expectations:
New 2D Mario
Something with DK (IDK what)
F-Zero GX remaster
Kid Icarus Uprising remaster
Pikmin 4 stuff with Miyamoto showing up
TOTK DLC
And some surprises!

(Also im not sure if this is appropriate for this thread but i think Pokemon will have a Pokemon Presents showcase sometime in June)

- new hardware is not coming out this year, that's pretty obvious now. If you still believe it does, that's fine, but you will be a damn disappointed.

- at earnings someone will ask about hardware and they will just say "we are always working on it, nothing to announce at this time", they will talk about how Mario Movie is doing great, "definitely more movie projects in the future". Earnings are just 3 days before TotK so the idea that they will say something significant about new hardware (ala launch window etc.) is kinda funny. Remember that Nintendo could have made the earnings late April or one week prior but they did not, pretty much speaks for itself that hardware news will be non-existent aside from one investor who will bring it up.

- Direct in mid June, Pikmin 4, Prime 4 shown, also 2D Mario for October along with things like Decetive Pikachu, that Good-Feel Goemon like game, Side Order and maybe some smaller spinoffs ala Tomodachi to squeze the casual market for one last time. When you add things like last Mario Kart waves, Pokemon DLC and potentially Zelda DLC to close the year it's not bad lineup at all, especially when your top million seller releases next week.

- as you figured the "No 2H titles = hardware" theory will be dead.

- Pikmin 4 Direct month before launch, hosted by Miyamoto.

And as for that 2D Mario game I mentioned:

New. Super Mario Bros. Wii announcement at E3 2009 - November 2009 release.
New Super Mario Bros. 2 announcement in April 2012 - July 2012 release.
New. Super Mario Bros. U announcement at E3 2012 - November 2012 release (altough this one is tied to hardware launch/reveal). "The prototype NSMB Mii. was shown at E3 2011".
Super Mario Maker 2 announcement in February 2019 - June 2019 release.

So for most 2D Mario games, (apart from only DS and Makre Wii U) 4-5months from reveal to release at maximum. They are just waiting for TotK to be released to announce this, not to mention the whole former 2D Mario guys + bunch of other Splatoon 2/Octo Expansion designers missing from Splatoon 3.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.
It may not come out this year, but i think there is a high probability its announced this year

I think we're getting a Mini Direct next month with Pikmin 4 info, a port or remaster, and DLC for Zelda/Mario Kart/Splatoon 3. No General Direct until August/September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom