• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
No release date or changes to gameplay that I'm noticing, but I haven't played the game myself.

Here's the full article in screenshots, spoilertagged of course!
09d5acf0b4d44f7484d8082a318446dc.jpg

72dd22b8eb965f7cf556b87ea559d18e.jpg

233e879588fb9230d4924574fad09b00.jpg

50eeb900fab108cfed44fd93a0065ea2.png

20121fb3d1b187d19c6951dc602e6e7e.png
If I had a nickel for every time a Mario RPG on Switch had boat traversal, I'd have two nickels. Which isn't much, but it's weird that it happened twice.

No release date or changes to gameplay that I'm noticing, but I haven't played the game myself.

This is all great, but everything we’ve been seeing has been third party, and because there’s the precedent I can’t just get hyped for a General Direct, I just have to pass this by and still keep my expectations in check

Wow I actually do wonder if this will be a Partner Direct, just a good one. Rayman DLC, Square SMRPG remake, Persona and possibly SMTV Definitive Edition. I know there's talk of 2D Mario but I'm not sure of that.

Several insiders have hinted at a direct this week (Nate, Necro, Brazil, etc). Nobody has said what kind of direct it is, though some speculated it was some kind of mini or partner showcase based upon what they knew would be there (Brazil)

Pyoro, a leaker who's tweeted very little but had incredible accuracy over the past year, tweeted a 2D Mario game (not New) and SNES Rpg classic remake will be announced soon. Based upon Pyoro's posting of beeg yoshi from Super Mario RPG, liking tweets asking about Super Mario RPG, and someone on era citing their own source, the remake is Super Mario RPG.

Nintendo accidentally pushed a news article for the next Mario + Rabbids dlc, which will include rabbid king bomb omb.

A leaker known for being accurate with Atlus stuff, tweeted a hint that heavily implies Shin Megami Tensei 5 complete is happening, and is probably multiplatform.

All the above are more or less hard confirmed

Separately Zippo (a leaker of extremely questionable validity) said a Chrono Trigger remake was in the works. As this has not been verified by anyone else I would not out stock in it being real in general, or if real, not being shown this week.

Afaik that's everything
Thank you, I opened this thread after work today and was like "there are HOW MANY new pages?!?!"

Everyone here killing it, as usual. We hit 200 pages before announcement!

Wow I actually do wonder if this will be a Partner Direct, just a good one. Rayman DLC, Square SMRPG remake, Persona and possibly SMTV Definitive Edition. I know there's talk of 2D Mario but I'm not sure of that.
I think remakes are for general directs, minis can get ports and remasters and spinoffs. Although lal was in a direct but not revealed....

This is all great, but everything we’ve been seeing has been third party, and because there’s the precedent I can’t just get hyped for a General Direct, I just have to pass this by and still keep my expectations in check
Meh. Nothing first party leaks unless Nintendo leaks it themselves so I don’t get the pessimism for a General Direct considering we don’t know anything after Pikmin.

Oh I‘m actually a leaker myself and I heard Nintendo is making a sequel to your favourite game and it’s gonna be announced on Wednesday in a trailer featuring your favourite song and three of your family members so you’d better get hyped with the rest of us.

So the one person who said there’s a 2D Mario game and SMRPG going to be announced, but somehow you’re not sure of the 2D Mario part because you choose not to be sure about that part. Lol give me a break

So Necrolipe, what does your gut feeling tell you right now in regards to the format of the Direct? Mini or General?

2D Mario is the only thing I believe in because if they don't reveal it now then it's most likely not this year, and of course they have a 2D Mario for the year of the film.
So General it is. Mayyyybe Mini, but definitely a Direct with multiple first party reveals.

What does everyone think the Super Mario RPG will look like?
Ideally, Nintendo and/or Square Enix still have the original assets at higher resolutions. Go for the whole "make it look as good as you remember it!" angle.

I would just hope for a bit more content to warrant another playthrough for me. Or hell, feel free to give this the FF7 treatment and make this an "Anthalogy of Mario RPG".

Oh I‘m actually a leaker myself and I heard Nintendo is making a sequel to your favourite game and it’s gonna be announced on Wednesday in a trailer featuring your favourite song and three of your family members so you’d better get hyped with the rest of us.
I would believe in this leak but you're not Lukas

Look at my avatar. I will lose it if this SMRPG remake is real. A bonafide, real, true "new" Mario RPG in 2023? Years after the closure of Alpha Dream and modern Paper Mario being...whatever it is? I think I might cry.

Ok, confession, I haven't actually played SMRPG. BUT (WAIT!) My first game growing up was M&L SS on the GBA so I've always wanted to play the precursor and originator of the lineage of Mario RPG games. In fact, I have a SNES mini...just haven't gotten around to hooking it up.
Long story short, yes I know the team and director behind it would go on to create Alpha Dream and the interview Fujioka gave to Minnmax a while back game me hope a new Mario RPG was on the horizon. So I waited...Hopefully this rumor becomes a reality.

Quick question for those who have played the game though...What was Luigi's role in it? I love Luigi in the M&L games and I'd be a bit sad if he wasn't a playable party member in this potential remake. Could they possibly add Luigi in as a playable party member in a remake? Either way, I'm excited for the return of Mario RPGs.

Ideally, Nintendo and/or Square Enix still have the original assets at higher resolutions. Go for the whole "make it look as good as you remember it!" angle.

I would just hope for a bit more content to warrant another playthrough for me. Or hell, feel free to give this the FF7 treatment and make this an "Anthalogy of Mario RPG".

I'd like to believe they'd do some changes like giving Luigi more of a role outside of his cameo in the credits. Also more interactions between the party members and, again, playable Jonathan Jones!

So the one person who said there’s a 2D Mario game and SMRPG going to be announced, but somehow you’re not sure of the 2D Mario part because you choose not to be sure about that part. Lol give me a break
I thought SMRPG rumour came from multiple sources, no need to be rude...

Look at my avatar. I will lose it if this SMRPG remake is real. A bonafide, real, true "new" Mario RPG in 2023? Years after the closure of Alpha Dream and modern Paper Mario being...whatever it is? I think I might cry.

Ok, confession, I haven't actually played SMRPG. BUT (WAIT!) My first game growing up was M&L SS on the GBA so I've always wanted to play the precursor and originator of the lineage of Mario RPG games. In fact, I have a SNES mini...just haven't gotten around to hooking it up.
Long story short, yes I know the team and director behind it would go on to create Alpha Dream and the interview Fujioka gave to Minnmax a while back game me hope a new Mario RPG was on the horizon. So I waited...Hopefully this rumor becomes a reality.

Quick question for those who have played the game though...What was Luigi's role in it? I love Luigi in the M&L games and I'd be a bit sad if he wasn't a playable party member in this potential remake. Could they possibly add Luigi in as a playable party member in a remake? Either way, I'm excited for the return of Mario RPGs.
from what I have seen Luigi only shows up in the credits.

I'd like to believe they'd do some changes like giving Luigi more of a role outside of his cameo in the credits. Also more interactions between the party members and, again, playable Jonathan Jones, Boshi and Croco!
Fixed to add in who I'd love to see added!

A FF-styled game, without a party member who focuses on thievery? Sacrilege!

And Boshi could just be fun for the sake of whatever role they want to give him. A blue Yoshi who could be a Blue Mage?

Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, 'Treatment is simple. The Nintendo Direct is soon. Go and see it. That should pick you up.' Man bursts into tears. Says, 'But doctor…I am the Nintendo Direct.'

Aaaaand goodbye any hope you had of Metroid Prime 4 appearing (or so it seems)

This reveal might be the biggest insult by a major gaming company in the past decade. I literally screamed "FUCK YOU" at my screen. I knew they said it wasn't going to be Metroid but the hype they created made me think they were just going to surprise us with it anyway. Absolutely unacceptable to do this to us. Once they knew Metroid was expected, they should've cancelled the announcement.

I will warn you, SMRPG feels different to the other M&L and Paper Mario games. It feels the most traditional RPG-like of any of the Mario RPG games, and tbh, I don't feel like it holds up all that well. Controls are very clunky and the fighting archaic. For the time it was huge, considering it was one of the first Mario spin offs to be outsourced to another company, but a remake needs to fix a lot of things for me to enjoy it to the fullest. The later games just did so much right and feel more Mario-fied, and everytime I try to go back, I just rather go and play the PM or M&L games tbh.

Ok so looks like its gonna be a General, Im mainly excited for 2D Mario/DK, TOTK DLC, Mario Kart and Metroid Prime 4. I think they all have a good chance of being shown, and anything else is a bonus.

Should be a very solid show

He says he knows about 2 or 3 third party games

Going to guess that Necro and Brazil have the same source since they both mentioned 2-3 3rd party announcements.

Wild speculation time, they've heard about some of the Atlus titles coming to Switch (P3R, SMT5 Complete, and/or Refantasy). I can see why if that's one of the announcements you've heard is coming, you might be expecting a mini or partner direct. 2 of the 3 were already announced, and the last one is just a supped up rerelease and it's a bigger deal being multiplatform (which Nintendo won't highlight).

I will warn you, SMRPG feels different to the other M&L and Paper Mario games. It feels the most traditional RPG-like of any of the Mario RPG games, and tbh, I don't feel like it holds up all that well. Controls are very clunky and the fighting archaic. For the time it was huge, considering it was one of the first Mario spin offs to be outsourced to another company, but a remake needs to fix a lot of things for me to enjoy it to the fullest. The later games just did so much right and feel more Mario-fied, and everytime I try to go back, I just rather go and play the PM or M&L games tbh.
As someone who replayed it this year, I can't think of a gaming take I've disagreed with more in 2023. Maybe if you're really bad at isometric movement a few of the platforming segments can be tricky, but those are fairly rare. The combat system is still my favorite of any of the Mario rpgs, and there's just so many fun segments and great characters, I honestly forgot how excellent the game was.

Oh man, if this doesn’t confirm SOME kind of news this week I don’t know what does

If Prime 4 isn't here, it's absolutely gonna be cross-gen.
the two main reasons for mp4 to not be there:

the reveal video gets a chance of hitting 4 million views without the game having shown a single gameplay snippet (kinda crazy ngl)

chances of it being crossgen at launch (as it should lol) skyrocket.

I saw this small game will probably be a shadow drop on direct day from Era. The game is called Circuit Superstars

Post in thread '[Universo Nintendo] Nintendo prepares a new Direct presentation for next week'
https://www.resetera.com/threads/un...sentation-for-next-week.732111/post-107644131
I don't think they'll waste any Direct time with already known games this time. I don't even expect Level-5 games to show up here, they should be in the next Level-5 showcase.

Maybe, a small maybe, that recently announced Daemon X Machina and DQ Monsters could get featured but I don't count on it. This is gonna be a 90% new reveal Direct.

I love the look of the 3D models for the box art. I hope they keep the characters looking like little fisher price toys.

I will echo the same. If real they should keep the CG look of the original.

I actually thought Mario + Rabbids got close to the look I am hoping for, so technically I know the Switch can handle it at a decent fps and picture quality. It comes down to the actual art design if they stick with that look from the OG game.

I think the clay model type art they go for on the box might be too much to look at in game. A good direction in my opinion would be a toy like design like the Link’s Awakening remake, that stuff is pure eye candy

Do we know for sure Pyoro isn't using the waddle dee knows approach? The earlier tweets seem to have little interaction, so just checking if people were aware of the profile before this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom