• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting a new movement. Can't let the Golden Sun freaks have all the fun. I demand Hey You Pikachu 2. The advances in NLP have been tremendous. Let's make it happen.

I really love these threads. There really is nothing quite like the unbridled joy and despair in Fami’s Direct speculation.

DQ needs to, it’s a giant franchsie but it’s not a kingmaker, Sony exclusivity harms dragon quest a lot more than it will help PlayStation.

Sure it might sell ps5’s but it’s going to sell less than pikmin 4 if it does stay exclusive to ps5.
I wasn't talking about PS at all. My point was if it's gonna also be Switch release or just Switch 2. Switch can run UE5 so it just depends when the game is coming out.

DQXI eventually became one of the best selling DQs but it took like five different releases to do so (JP PS4, 3DS, int. PS4/PC, DE Switch, DE ports). I'm expecting XII to wait for Switch 2, if only to avoid the need for a cut-down version to begin with, and to give some space between it, DQIII HD2D, spinoffs

DQXI eventually became one of the best selling DQs but it took like five different releases to do so (JP PS4, 3DS, int. PS4/PC, DE Switch, DE ports). I'm expecting XII to wait for Switch 2, if only to avoid the need for a cut-down version to begin with, and to give some space between it, DQIII HD2D, spinoffs
Yeah especially with the state Sony is in now

dragon quest not releasing on a Nintendo console first is suicide now.

What makes FF able to thrive with strong Sony ties then? PS5 is big in japan as is DQ, i think it'd do fine I just hope switch as well

Edit:Yes I understand FF is more action-y and cinematic, but none the less the market overlap for more traditional RPGs doesn't seem that bad

Last edited:

XI's performance was strong enough on home consoles that there's no reason for XII not to stay multiplatform. Something like Switch 2/PS4/PS5/PC, maybe Xbox as well makes the most sense to me

XI's performance was strong enough on home consoles that there's no reason for XII not to stay multiplatform. Something like Switch 2/PS4/PS5/PC, maybe Xbox as well makes the most sense to me
Considering how things have been going I dunno about Xbox, sounds like bunch of Konami stuff gonna skip, and there's some belief of bad blood between SE and microsoft (Octo 1 was not excluded but 2 was)

I don't know what it's gonna take but if they can douse the fires of bad launches and looming acquisition chaos they should probably try to do something for Japan, though considering 20 years there and nothing has ever been great maybe that's a fantasy (and for the record I do not want them to buy anyone, I just mean maybe some marketing deals and just actually having the series on it, so many odd skips like it's not just about popularity there, the actual games seem to be avoiding xbox)

What makes FF able to thrive with strong Sony ties then? PS5 is big in japan as is DQ, i think it'd do fine I just hope switch as well

Edit:Yes I understand FF is more action-y and cinematic, but none the less the market overlap for more traditional RPGs doesn't seem that bad
Final Fantasy is massively popular outside Japan, and Dragon Quest isn't; the latter needs significant domestic sales (usually 4 million range) in a way that Final Fantasy doesn't.

PS5 isn't that popular in Japan; the weekly numbers right now might look good versus where it was a year ago, but it's certainly not going to get the kind of big install base a Nintendo system gets in Japan. Unless Square Enix are counting on enormous international growth for DQ XII, they'll need to launch the game on a Nintendo system to achieve high sales in Japan. DQ XI sold over 6 million globally, but the overwhelming majority of that came from the Japanese market across 3DS, Switch and PS4.

Square Enix is looking to expand Dragon Quest in the West (action combat system, art by Demon Slayer mangaka) so they won't have to release XII on the Switch.

Square Enix is looking to expand Dragon Quest in the West (action combat system, art by Demon Slayer mangaka) so they won't have to release XII on the Switch.
How can we come off of Royal selling almost 2 mil and Pokemon selling 20 mil in 6 weeks and go "yeah let's kill turn based even more"

john-lennon-.jpg

Imagine there's no Direct
It's easy if you try
No Minis, below us
Above us, only hype

Imagine all of Fami
despairing through the net...
YES
You may say I‘m a dreamer,
But I‘m not the only one!
I hope some day you will join us!
And the Direct will be announced in June 😀

They aren't announcing 2D Mario or DK in a Mini, which is shadowdropped.
I just feel like that the June/July Presentation will be more lowkey, so I see them going with a Mini Branding. I mean Branding it as a General, Mini or Partner is only there to set expectations. If it‘s livestreamed, shadowdropped and/or announced beforehand is all part of it and can be adjusted to get the exact reaction they want out of a presentation. They always try new stuff with the direct format. The 2018 and 2020 Minis are very different from each other.

Last edited:
Without E3 I don't see a big summer direct, maybe a mini or something.
Tbh I'm expecting a very quiet year whilst they get ready for a big hardware launch next year. A few smaller titles after Pikmin 4 and a new 2D Mario for the holidays is all I think we'll get.

Unfortunately I have found that when I get optimistic I end up wrong so i’m only expecting Nintendo to do a partners showcase and then certain DLC for first party games (such as wave 5 for booster course pass) will just get announced separately. Basically the same thing they did last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom