• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe not a full on shadow drop but Silksong having a super quick date to release seems plausible, freakin Deltarune had 2 days. I'm aware some seem to not view that came as that mainstream compared to the og UT and surely at final release it won't have quite the zeitgeist but it had 100k concurrent players on steam, for a fully single player game that's insane, so I do think Silksong can get away with it. Alternatively maybe a straight up shadow drop at Xbox? June 11th is indeed within the 12 month window... barely

Tbf the last partners mini wasn't shadow dropped, but it also likely only has the mini moniker cause of no first party content
If we are talking just about regular Mini, then both that one in January 2018 and March 2020 were shadowdropped.

If we are talking about Partner Showcases, the first one in July 2020 was announced beforehand (which makes sense as it was new format), the one in August 2020 was shadowdropped, the one in September 2020 was announced at the earnings (likely because MH Direct followed right after that) and the one in October 2020 was shadowdropped, the latest last June was announced beforehand.

Either way, my first point was that I don't believe they would reveal brand new first party content in a Mini.

8999g4.JPG
Strange that this only happens to the Detective Pikachu series

Well, about that...
I guess Nate has no idea when is the next direct is coming.
Still hoping that the general direct comes in this June unless Nintendo decides that the late H2 2023 lineup should be only dedicated to the Switch 2.

Last edited:
I mean a lot of people swore up and down it had to come alongside Zelda, nothing else made sense, and now look where we are.

New hardware would be cool, but it always feels like the hardware folks are a little too eager.
BotW had Mario Kart 8 deluxe a few months later, and Odyssey releasing within the same year.

Ultimate came out at the end of a year which also had Mario Tennis Aces, the first console mainline pokemon game ever, a new maineline kirby game, and even some big 3ds titles like Detective Pikachu. A month after Smash Ultimate we got NSMBUD, and a few months after that we got Yoshi's crafted world (and another 3ds kirby game my god).

Nintendo has never gone "light" after their prior big games, there's no reason to think they would here.

If we are talking just about regular Mini, then both that one in January 2018 and March 2020 were shadowdropped.

If we are talking about Partner Showcases, the first one in July 2020 was announced beforehand (which makes sense as it was new format), the one in August 2020 was shadowdropped, the one in September 2020 was announced at the earnings (likely because MH Direct followed right after that) and the one in October 2020 was shadowdropped, the latest last June was announced beforehand.

Either way, my first point was that I don't believe they would reveal brand new first party content in a Mini.
Mario Tennis Aces and Clubhouse Games 51 Worldwide Classics were announced in Minis, and Age of Calamity was announced in a Mini Partner Showcase.

honestly I'm fully expecting a partner direct in June with a general in September just like last year. It's easier that way. Maybe a mini instead of a partner in June is possible though.

Mario Tennis Aces and Clubhouse Games 51 Worldwide Classics were announced in Minis, and Age of Calamity was announced in a Mini Partner Showcase.
Age of Calamity was separate video drop. Aces is not really first party content, the same for Clubhousegames which is by Ndcude but it's tricky. I should specify as a new EPD release.

In Japan yes, but Nintendo is the publisher in the West.

Even then, Nintendo still lists Pokemon games as primary Nintendo titles in Japan, including:
  • Pokemon Sun & Moon
  • Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon
  • Detective Pikachu
  • Pokken Tournament DX
  • Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee
  • Pokemon Sword & Shield
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX
  • New Pokemon Snap
So why would Detective Pikachu 2 be different?
Officially, TPC is the publisher of Detective Pikachu (and a bunch of other 3DS Pokémon games) on the North American eShop.
Strange that this only happens to the Detective Pikachu series
There's like two pages of games listed under TPC in the 3DS eShop, including mainline stuff. They seem to have changed how they're handling things with Switch, where it's currently just Unite that they're listed on, but even other Switch/Mobile games like Cafe Mix are listed as Nintendo. Seems kinda arbitrary, tbh.

I don't believe any of this is wrong, but "support two devices, even if in a reduced capacity, for a period, sandwiched between consistent, stable support for one device" is a hell of a lift for any console manufacturer every single time they have to do it, and the complexities of working to meet expectations for a more capable device aren't diminished. Playstations after the second are to this day mocked with memes about having no games, and this board hosts a discussion thread with doomerism about Xbox that would make even the most self-loathing Nintendrones blush. The Switch managed to pull this off by rehoming games no one bought on the Wii U while Nintendo's secondary device was the sub-HD 3DS, but these crutches don't exist for them in the transition from the Switch, an HD device with games that were already enjoyed by tens of millions.

A light back half to 2023 (which, under even the most doomer intepretations, would still be eons better than the sunsets for other Nintendo systems; third party games and substantial DLC for 10+ million sellers isn't nothing!), then, would not be ideal, but may be Nintendo's least bad option, if doing so enables them to have a stronger launch for a new system with a more solid backup plan to sell games to the Switch's install base.
No releases at all after Pikmin from Nintendo would be bad, yes, and it'd be bad for their business because of the lost revenue from potential first party releases. There's an enormous amount of competition for people's time and money, after all, and while it's obvious Switch is far better off than previous Nintendo systems for support, a lack of titles from Nintendo remains a comparatively bigger issue for them than for Sony and Microsoft (and we can see the latter, by its own admission, struggling on that front).

It's pretty obvious how Nintendo get around the problem of developing for two devices: cross-gen games, ports, lower scale games in the form of spin-offs, and remasters on the one hand, and shared architecture and development tools on the other, meaning there's more efficient development across the board. A key issue in the past was that they were developing for radically different systems using different tools and development environments, which is one factor (along with underestimating HD development) that caused such problems when trying to pivot away from Wii and DS; and it was that transition in particular which led to the shift in structure for Switch. Nintendo, better than any company, know how difficult it is to juggle that kind of transition, because they got it horribly wrong a decade ago.

I've said it before, but it wouldn't surprise me if we see the final handful of Wii U ports emerge in the next few years as an easy way of providing software for Switch and the successor. It also doesn’t surprise me that more remasters are rumoured. Importantly, Nintendo probably already took the biggest step in helping manage these transitions, by cutting down from two discrete systems at a time to a hybrid console; a decade or so ago Nintendo had to struggle with simultaneous development for four different systems!

Nate Drake for smash confirmed.
I have wondered if NASB and Multiversus (admittedly the former kinda died off but sales did fine, and latter was huge for a bit and can only blame management for result) will lead to PSASBR2 (prob not literally, been long enough new thing and I think may be platform fighter), but maybe they realized from first and even NASB and arguably Multiversus' going how it is that as much as people claim smash rides off of crossover, the gameplay has to be very polished for it to work. There's a reason NASB in particular floundered, and I hope the likely sequel can turn up the polish and do well (which I blame Nick for almost entirely, the devs seem very open about the issues in a way that's uncommon, like one of the main guys openly said on the Discord it was overpriced), where as Multiversus was more polished and was big then again ran out of content

Neither Sony or Microsoft has enough iconic characters to make quite the same splash but they may have more notable ones now compared to then, Microsoft in particular I've wondered with Phil not wanting to do a smash clone if could do some crossover shooter, Chief Marcus Doom Guy Ranger Joana Dark, Conker has a gun so sure, Banjo Kazooie breegull blaster, Cuphead finger gun (tho idk if they really own the IP, just the current game). Only thing is I really find the idea of a Microsoft crossover having "Forza car" playable funny which is harder to do in this format

Kinda went off but yeah Nate Drake buff for PSASBR2?

Now that Directs are off the menu for the time being, what is everyone playing? I'm probably gonna tackle Zelda on Friday, it's been a while since I played Skyward Sword.
With Directs cancelled and Nintendo not releasing games after Pikmin 4 until the Switch U launches in December 2025, I'm in danger of going completely crazy: I'm considering playing The Last Campfire from my Pile of Shame.

TotK DLC + NdCube thing + Jet Dragon + ports, NSO, 3rd party stuff + Prime 4 rereveal trailer feels like a decent June Direct lineup. Add looks at known DLC and a Pikmin 4 Direct and Nintendo is in a decent position while keeping most of their powder dry. Could also be a good time to drop OG Pokémon games

Now that Directs are off the menu for the time being, what is everyone playing? I'm probably gonna tackle Zelda on Friday, it's been a while since I played Skyward Sword.
I was thinking of starting up a shorter game, I've got Journey of the Broken Circle, Anodyne 2, and The Longest Five Minutes. But I haven't decided yet.

BotW had Mario Kart 8 deluxe a few months later, and Odyssey releasing within the same year.

Ultimate came out at the end of a year which also had Mario Tennis Aces, the first console mainline pokemon game ever, a new maineline kirby game, and even some big 3ds titles like Detective Pikachu. A month after Smash Ultimate we got NSMBUD, and a few months after that we got Yoshi's crafted world (and another 3ds kirby game my god).

Nintendo has never gone "light" after their prior big games, there's no reason to think they would here.
I never said they wouldn't have more games this year. I just think it's silly to immediately jump to "it has to be new hardware."

Age of Calamity was separate video drop. Aces is not really first party content, the same for Clubhousegames which is by Ndcude but it's tricky. I should specify as a new EPD release.
Aces and Clubhouse games are both first party content and included in Nintendo's lsit of first party sellers. And yes you're right, Age of Calamity was included in a Partner Showcase but not announced in one.

I agree that any large scale EPD release wouldn't be included in a Mini

Officially, TPC is the publisher of Detective Pikachu (and a bunch of other 3DS Pokémon games) on the North American eShop.

There's like two pages of games listed under TPC in the 3DS eShop, including mainline stuff. They seem to have changed how they're handling things with Switch, where it's currently just Unite that they're listed on, but even other Switch/Mobile games like Cafe Mix are listed as Nintendo. Seems kinda arbitrary, tbh.
And those 3DS Pokemon games were included on Nintendo's official product list. Again, why would they treat Detective Pikachu 2 different to every other Switch and 3DS Pokemon game?

If there's no Direct until, at least, September, then I still don't understand the point of releasing so many titles during the first half of the year. Engage and Prime Remastered where finished ages ago and could have fit anywhere else, for example.
Maybe not a Direct as it is but —and I may be wrong, of course— there probably will be something, as I don't really see Nintendo finishing the year with 1 or 2 ports announced via Twitter and Splatoon, Pokémon and Mario Kart DLCs.

I am asking that they finally bring Galaxy 2 over jfc you can't just have every 3d mario worth a damn (sorry 3d land) except for one

This game is like half the reason I still have a Wii U (and Woolly World... and a bunch of base Wii games actually so nvm but still I'd pay 60 for it but ideally it's like 20 on the eshop and some rerelease of 3d All stars for physical)

Can we all just promise that if Nate or anyone else does decide to give us any type of info to not go crazy on them if it's not 100% correct or anything

Can we all just promise that if Nate or anyone else does decide to give us any type of info to not go crazy on them if it's not 100% correct or anything
I mean I'm not directly thinking about Insiders my thoughts are moreso

I already had an inkling we'd get nothing in 22 and ended up being right

23 I leaned that way but then H2 seemed weird but with even insiders who are surely aware H2 can't remain vacant saying things I'm starting to feel maybe they're doing some weird shit we aren't ready for

If you believe new hardware then it adds up for some kind of Ultra Switch reveal in June release Nov 23 as a replacement for direct (they did reveal hardware at press conferences when they did them but the direct era seems to want to split off hardware except for when Iwata revealed the New 3DS in a Japan only 2014 direct but that was 9 years ago and not a brand new system) but I think we aren't gonna even see the dang thing until 24, let alone buy it

I don't believe any of this is wrong, but "support two devices, even if in a reduced capacity, for a period, sandwiched between consistent, stable support for one device" is a hell of a lift for any console manufacturer every single time they have to do it, and the complexities of working to meet expectations for a more capable device aren't diminished. Playstations after the second are to this day mocked with memes about having no games, and this board hosts a discussion thread with doomerism about Xbox that would make even the most self-loathing Nintendrones blush. The Switch managed to pull this off by rehoming games no one bought on the Wii U while Nintendo's secondary device was the sub-HD 3DS, but these crutches don't exist for them in the transition from the Switch, an HD device with games that were already enjoyed by tens of millions.

A light back half to 2023 (which, under even the most doomer intepretations, would still be eons better than the sunsets for other Nintendo systems; third party games and substantial DLC for 10+ million sellers isn't nothing!), then, would not be ideal, but may be Nintendo's least bad option, if doing so enables them to have a stronger launch for a new system with a more solid backup plan to sell games to the Switch's install base.
It's not like they'd have to suddenly produce a ton more games or something like that. 100% of their output would be playable (and probably native) on the new hardware from more or less day one, it's just some of them would probably still be playable on Switch for a while. This wouldn't be like Switch and 3DS where the two platforms were largely getting separate games.
And those 3DS Pokemon games were included on Nintendo's official product list. Again, why would they treat Detective Pikachu 2 different to every other Switch and 3DS Pokemon game?
No idea, but the way TPC handles the series is not exactly normal. May have been influenced by the movie.

It's not like they'd have to suddenly produce a ton more games or something like that. 100% of their output would be playable (and probably native) on the new hardware from more or less day one, it's just some of them would probably still be playable on Switch for a while. This wouldn't be like Switch and 3DS where the two platforms were largely getting separate games.

No idea, but the way TPC handles the series is not exactly normal. May have been influenced by the movie.
Except Detective Pikachu on 3DS was also incldued on Nintendo's lists.

The answer is that Nintnedo is not treating Detective Pikachu 2 any differently. They don't see it as fully announced yet.

The biggest question of the century is. Will Dragon Quest 12 release on Switch?
DQ needs to, it’s a giant franchsie but it’s not a kingmaker, Sony exclusivity harms dragon quest a lot more than it will help PlayStation.

Sure it might sell ps5’s but it’s going to sell less than pikmin 4 if it does stay exclusive to ps5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom