• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prime 4 showing up is dependent on them feeling confident in giving it a date, imo. They won't show Prime 4 without assigning it a date. Delaying the game and being forced to start over was embarrassing for them.
I agree. Nintendo wants this to be 100% a done deal with everything in place before they discuss it. It was a bad look on their part when they had to reboot it.

As a side note, Koizumi had to say: "We announced this game in 2017 and we thank you for your patience" in regards of Bayo 3 finally showing up in September 2021 Direct. He will say something similar in 4 days. NCL presenters are always doing this stuff, like Takahashi when he mentioned "it's been a while" when there was not a General Direct for year and a half, he even apologized that they haven't been able to do a full Direct and only Mini presentations. Or when Aonuma was mentioning that it's been 2 years since they first announced TotK and they haven't shown anything.

It will be the same story this time when Koizumi mentions MP4 and he will thank us for waiting and patience, people always appreciate this kind of stuff.
The Direct Doctor
The Presentation Professor
The Marketing Master
The Nintendo Know-It-All
The Enthusiast Extraordinaire
The Koizumi Consultant
The Takahashi Tutor
The Furukawa Philosopher

I have a feeling it will be a general direct, cause even if E3 did happen this year, wasn't Nintendo themeselves weren't going anyway, so they definitely had the plan to forge a general direct of sometime in the summer.

buut that doesnt means much. It could be 6 months for example, which then would most likely mean it wouldn't appear on this direct lol.
If it were in 6 months then that would mean a holiday 2023 release.

If it's coming out late this year, I guess they wouldn't have to show it in June, but I have a feeling they won't do a short marketing window for this one.

I don't think Metroid Prime 4 is coming this year because they only released Prime 1 on Switch.
I could believe it if they hadn't released any of the Prime remasters, but now that 1 is out it'd be very weird to release the new entry when only the first one is available. They could release the other two in quick succession I guess, but that also seems unlikely.

I don't think Metroid Prime 4 is coming this year because they only released Prime 1 on Switch.
I could believe it if they hadn't released any of the Prime remasters, but now that 1 is out it'd be very weird to release the new entry when only the first one is available. They could release the other two in quick succession I guess, but that also seems unlikely.
Funny you say that because to me it's the exact opposite. They finally put out Prime 1 Remaster to refresh people on the basics of the franchise/to bring it back to the general public's mind just in time for the new game to show up :D
Although I do concede that it's at least part wishful thinking on my end.

How big would you dream, if you knew you couldn't fail?

Koizumi: This will be our last announcement, please take a look.

This shows up on screen:

image.png

Sadly it ain't happening until next gen, but we've got Pikmin so I cannot complain.

Metroid Dread is a sequel to Metroid Fusion and they didn't release Fusion on NSO before Dread's release.

If Prime 4 is a 2023 title it will be shown off in the Direct. They aren’t going to first show it in September for a November release, that’s way too short for a game like this.

But it’s most likely a 2024 title so it may not be shown off.

Metroid Dread is a sequel to Metroid Fusion and they didn't release Fusion on NSO before Dread's release.
Yeah, they didn't release it. But with Prime, they release the first one. We're going to have Metroid Prime — no way to play Prime 2 or 3 — and then Metroid Prime 4? I don't think so.
And regardless, those are very different situations. The Prime games are a short series with numbered sequels.

Yeah, they didn't release it. But with Prime, they release the first one. We're going to have Metroid Prime — no way to play Prime 2 or 3 — and then Metroid Prime 4? I don't think so.
And regardless, those are very different situations. The Prime games are a short series with numbered sequels.
I mean.. Metroid Dread was only the 5th game in the mainline Metroid series, and at the time we had no way to play both the second and fourth Metroid games on Switch. Not really any different situations

That would mean it’s coming this holiday and forget waiting on showing any big holiday title in a September direct, let alone Metroid Prime 4.
I meant that it wouldn't be a thing since i dont believe in mp4 in december (or in this year for that matter, but especially december)

I agree. Nintendo wants this to be 100% a done deal with everything in place before they discuss it. It was a bad look on their part when they had to reboot it.
Like everyone else, I was extremely disappointed when Prime 4 was rebooted, since I knew it'd be years before we actually got to play it. I was also relieved that they were committed to getting it right, though. For them to come out and say "The game wasn't shaping up well, so we're starting over from scratch with the original devs" had to sting, but they did it, and I'm confident it'll have been very much worth it. I'm still just weirded out by the fact that they didn't go with Retro to begin with, to be honest. I remember a former Retro dev saying in an interview (with Shinesparkers, I believe) that they were offended Nintendo would give a numbered Prime game to another studio to work on.

I doubt nintendo wants newcomers to think they have to play the trilogy to understand MP4.

I meant that it wouldn't be a thing since i dont believe in mp4 in december (or in this year for that matter, but especially december)
I guess I’m having a hard time seeing them wait. I think they have it down to release by March 2024 and they’ll want it revealed 9 months out.

I'm still massively curious on what Bamco presented to Nintendo to get the Metroid project.

It's one of those "to be a fly on the wall" kind of thing.
i can imagine two reasons reasons:

Already had a established working relationship with Nintendo.
Had a big structure that would allow for an AAA game to be made without major problems.

I mean.. Metroid Dread was only the 5th game in the mainline Metroid series, and at the time we had no way to play both the second and fourth Metroid games on Switch. Not really any different situations
I think those are very different situations for a small but important reason. You put a number on your title and people immediately start thinking differently about your game, the marketing teams know this.

I doubt nintendo wants newcomers to think they have to play the trilogy to understand MP4.
True, but having the option to do it is just more money to them and makes sure the people who simply aren't going to skip entries are still potential costumers. Just to point to another example on the Switch, Monolith Soft did all they could to convince people that they could play Xenoblade Chronicles 3 without playing the others. Even so, they also did another thing before even announcing it: released the first game on the Switch.

Like everyone else, I was extremely disappointed when Prime 4 was rebooted, since I knew it'd be years before we actually got to play it. I was also relieved that they were committed to getting it right, though. For them to come out and say "The game wasn't shaping up well, so we're starting over from scratch with the original devs" had to sting, but they did it, and I'm confident it'll have been very much worth it. I'm still just weirded out by the fact that they didn't go with Retro to begin with, to be honest. I remember a former Retro dev saying in an interview (with Shinesparkers, I believe) that they were offended Nintendo would give a numbered Prime game to another studio to work on.
I thought it was because Retro was working on their own game at the time.

I think those are very different situations for a small but important reason. You put a number on your title and people immediately start thinking differently about your game, the marketing teams know this.

True, but having the option to do it is just more money to them and makes sure the people who simply aren't going to skip entries are still potential costumers. Just to point to another example on the Switch, Monolith Soft did all they could to convince people that they could play Xenoblade Chronicles 3 without playing the others. Even so, they also did another thing before even announcing it: released the first game on the Switch.
if nintendo didn't do it for dread, i guess the potential of losing customers might be bigger.

I don’t think Nintendo cares. Metroid Prime 1 is good enough. Pikmin 3 is on switch without 1 and 2. And now comes Pikmin 4.

Eh, we'll see. Pikmin 3 and 4 on the same platform is fine, direct connection there, but again, Prime 1 and 4 with no access to 2 and 3 is just bizarre. I don't think they'll do it.

All jokes aside, and all "just believe" stuff aside

anyone else still have that little tiny voice saying: "partner showcase, Partner showcase, Partner Showcase, PARTNER SHOWCASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

And this as well.

It must have been really, really bad to make Nintendo think "hmm, well, this will turn out into something terrible if we don't step in"
I wonder what kind of state the game must've been in for Nintendo to publicly come out, say their product sucks and that they're starting over from scratch

I wonder what kind of state the game must've been in for Nintendo to publicly come out, say their product sucks and that they're starting over from scratch
That's one of the unknown stories I'm most interested in. Imran Khan tweeted about it after the delay announcement in 2019.

Really curious about the "on fire" comments. It makes me wonder how bad it was.

Bad enough that Retro was tasked with seeing if they could salvage it, saying, "Nah, this shit is fucked," and Nintendo completely scrapping two years of work.

All jokes aside, and all "just believe" stuff aside

anyone else still have that little tiny voice saying: "partner showcase, Partner showcase, Partner Showcase, PARTNER SHOWCASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
I'm prepared for anything. Even if it's a general, it might be a very low key one. And even if it's a partner, it might be a really solid one like last year.

I'm fairly certain the remaster was to familiarise people with the Prime format more than anything

Btw, when the eventual September Direct hits, I'll be in Japan.

And depending when, if it does not live up to expectations, I will be in Kyoto and just head towards the Nintendo campus and yell "Nintendoooooooo why have you forsaaaaaaaaken us" before being dragged of the premisis like some insane mad man.

All jokes aside, I do plan to check out Nintendo's old diggs, it was turned in a hotel last year I believe

The 2D Metroid games ARE numbered titles though. Prime 4 is going to be more disconnected from the trilogy since that story arc is over than Dread is to M1-4, and Nintendo are going to emphasize that no prior knowledge is needed. They'll do a story recap at the beginning of the game and call it a day.

I'd love to be wrong though and we're gonna get 2 and 3 dropped soon!

I think that if the game is March at the latest, they'll reveal it with a date. Maybe they can even reveal it as "spring 2024".
Anyways, Nintendo announcing release dates ~9 months before is nothing new(ACNH, TOTK), so I don't see why they wouldn't do it with MP4.
Unless it's aiming for late 2024(which seems unlikely seeing MPR being out in February), so it would be September Direct like Bayonetta 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom