• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Web-capture-14-6-2023-124935-zippospeaks-blogspot-com.jpg

- it's made by Arzest

- again it's Arzest

- lmao

- forgot Amy but fine

- sure

Direct that doesn’t show it at all the week of release, with only a tweet on the day of release
Might be their best direct ever, showing off all the major upcoming titles to show they are sorry for what they are about to release to the public

I think I'd be rather surprised if a Mario platformer is imminent tbh. The series has already been represented between Odyssey and Mario Maker 2, and it holds a lot of value as a cross gen/next gen title. I also think there probably would have been some meaningful leaks about it by now. The sales potential of the IP goes hand in hand with large and wide ranging marketing campaigns, merchandising, etc., so you'd expect something to have slipped out by now.
Mario Maker 2 represents a spin-off. It doesn’t represent a mainline 2D Mario

So another radio-silent week from Nintendo?
Watch we get the epic Everybody 1-2 Switch gameplay reveal… and they announce a new N64 game for NSO at the same time

(I’m not talking crazy btw they’ve done this before, the SSHD amiibo was announced at the same time as an NSO drop)

Not sure why you never thought we’d see the day. I had TTYD penciled in to come when origami king released. It’s probably top 3 in requested game from GameCube and Nintendo was going to oblige at some point.

It became clear Nintendo is now bringing GameCube ports to switch and TTYD HD made sense to be part of those games

I saw it a lose-lose situation, similar to Melee HD. Well, it's always gonna be a win for Ninty since they'll get money, but let me explain.

If they remastered it without touching the gameplay it would highlight the criticisms of modern Mario spinoffs, namely Paper Mario, and the already obnoxiously loud vocal minority would have more ammunition in their chamber. Upcoming Mario spinoffs would only be scrutinized further.

If they completely remade the game to feel more in-line with modern Paper Mario (no original character/enemy designs, lack of exp, etc) the response would be overwhelmingly negative.

I thought Nintendo would ignore the game, but it'd be kinda genius to port the game for 60$, milk the starved fans and never look back

what if the back half of 2023 was literally all just remasters, remakes and DLC for existing games?

F-Zero GX HD
Paper Mario TTYD HD
Fire Emblem Geneology of the Holy War Remake
Maybe Twilight Princess/Wind Waker HD?
Pokémon DLC
Mario Kart DLC
Maybe Zelda DLC?
Honestly, this is all I'm expecting from Nintendo at this point in the Switch's life cycle. Just ports, remasters, and DLC. In the last Feb. Direct, there were no brand new 1st party game announcements. Maybe we'll also see MP4 in addition to what you listed.

While I think getting ports and remasters is great for preservation and convenience, I usually don't get excited about ones I've played before. They're usually in the "pick up on sale" category for me. So of that list, Genealogy Remake is the only thing I would get really excited for, since I, like most of the fanbase outside Japan, never had the chance to play the original. Guess GX with 30 player online could also be exciting if it was implemented well.

also i;m still team new 2D Mario just because Nintendo can;t be that dumb that to have one major new Mario release that same year the movie came out

Yeah a mini makes sense to me

• Persona 3 Remake
  • 2 HD remasters from Nintendo
  • Pikmin 4 overview
  • Biomutant
  • Lego 2K Goooooal
  • one or 2 other 3rd party ports
  • New holiday game from Nintendo (2D Mario or DK)

September would be better as a general to detail what’s coming next year. DLC for the year can be in Twitter drops

Why is everyone expecting a big first party game for the holidays? In the Switch era Nintendo have mostly relied on a new Pokémon release and their evergreen titles to carry them through the holidays.
They would probably push either Paper Mario or Mario & Sonic to be Nintendo's holiday title.

I feel like we’re gonna be in for a big shock when we find out Nintendo’s holiday lineup, everyone’s so dead set on F-Zero and TTYD and a 2D Mario but knowing Nintendo, anything can happen, heck, for all we know, this holiday will end up being a new Mario Party, a port of Yoshi’s Wooly World, and a new Rhythm Heaven, perplexing everyone as to why Nintendo, “still hasn’t ported over Wind Waker HD!! GRRRRR”

They would probably push either Paper Mario or Mario & Sonic to be Nintendo's holiday title.
Ah I keep forgetting this one, Mario and Sonic is probably happening, but maybe Nintendo will try and push it to Spring (a la Rio 2016) to try and fill the release gaps, no way we’re gonna just get a string of 5 rereleases in a row before they’ve even announced the new hardware

I mostly just want TotK DLC, I don't really care if anything else does or doesn't get announced.

I for one am excited for Nintendo's holiday season to be the same Switch mario kart bundle they have every year, Pokemon DLC, and a livestream of all the Nintendo executives taking turns killing the adoring fan in Starfield.

Why is everyone expecting a big first party game for the holidays? In the Switch era Nintendo have mostly relied on a new Pokémon release and their evergreen titles to carry them through the holidays.

This is true if we choose to ignore 10M+ sellers released for the holidays like Super Mario Odyssey, Super Smash Bros, Super Mario Party, Luigis Mansion 3, Mario Party Superstars

That's not really true; they usually have multiple titles in the final third of the year even if Pokemon is often (but not always) the big deal. At least one of the non-Pokemon titles is usually a big seller. One title is also from the broader Super Mario franchise every October:

2017: Super Mario Odyssey (25 million), Fire Emblem Warriors, Xenoblade 2 [Pokemon on 3DS]
2018: Super Mario Party, Smash Bros Ultimate (both sold over 20 million over time)
2019: Zelda: Link's Awakening (5 million plus), Ring Fit Adventure (10 million plus), Luigi's Mansion 3 (10 million plus)
2020: Super Mario 3D All Stars (nearly 10 million in six months), Mario Kart Live, Pikmin 3, Hyrule Warriors
2021: Metroid Dread, Mario Party Superstars (10 million plus)
2022: Splatoon 3 (10 million plus), Bayonetta 3, Mario + Rabbids

Usually there's another big (5 to 10 million or more) title in September or October before Pokemon launches. Plus, this being the one year without a Pokemon title, you'd think Nintendo would plan accordingly.

And no, I don't see 2020, the pandemic year, as proof Nintendo won't bother getting a big title out before Christmas. Even then they made sure 3D All Stars was on the market ahead of the Christmas season, and it sold nearly 10 million in the limited time it was on sale.

One thing I'm only just remembering now: the two years Switch didn't have a Pokemon title (2017 and 2020), Nintendo banked on Super Mario (Odyssey and All Stars; presumably, had the pandemic not happened, they'd have banked 2020's holidays on 3D World + Bowser's Fury).

• Persona 3 Remake
  • Pikmin 4 overview
  • Biomutant
  • Lego 2K Goooooal

September would be better as a general to detail what’s coming next year. DLC for the year can be in Twitter drops
Nintendo would not acknowledge Biomutant at a Direct as its meta is too low. And that Lego soccer game will be announced on lego's own terms, just like 2K Drive.

I think whatever this Direct is, Mini, partner or regular, is gonna be dominated by Square and Atlus.

They'll undoubtedly have at least one new game for the Sep-Nov months, whether it'll be all that exciting for everyone I'm not sure.

• Persona 3 Remake
  • Pikmin 4 overview
  • Biomutant
  • Lego 2K Goooooal

Add in some more third party support and this could easily be a full direct. People forget how lackluster Minis typically are.

That's not really true; they usually have multiple titles in the final third of the year even if Pokemon is often (but not always) the big deal. At least one of the non-Pokemon titles is usually a big seller. One title is also from the broader Super Mario franchise every October:

2017: Super Mario Odyssey (25 million), Fire Emblem Warriors, Xenoblade 2 [Pokemon on 3DS]
2018: Super Mario Party, Smash Bros Ultimate (both sold over 20 million over time)
2019: Zelda: Link's Awakening (5 million plus), Ring Fit Adventure (10 million plus), Luigi's Mansion 3 (10 million plus)
2020: Super Mario 3D All Stars (nearly 10 million in six months), Mario Kart Live, Pikmin 3, Hyrule Warriors
2021: Metroid Dread, Mario Party Superstars (10 million plus)
2022: Splatoon 3 (10 million plus), Bayonetta 3, Mario + Rabbids

Usually there's another big (5 to 10 million or more) title in September or October before Pokemon launches. Plus, this being the one year without a Pokemon title, you'd think Nintendo would plan accordingly.

And no, I don't see 2020, the pandemic year, as proof Nintendo won't bother getting a big title out before Christmas. Even then they made sure 3D All Stars was on the market ahead of the Christmas season, and it sold nearly 10 million in the limited time it was on sale.

One thing I'm only just remembering now: the two years Switch didn't have a Pokemon title (2017 and 2020), Nintendo banked on Super Mario (Odyssey and All Stars; presumably, had the pandemic not happened, they'd have banked 2020's holidays on 3D World + Bowser's Fury).
I would also add that Animal Crossing was supposed to be also their 2019 Holiday title, same goes with TotK in 2022.

I would also add that Animal Crossing was supposed to be also their 2019 Holiday title, same goes with TotK in 2022.
Sure, which reinforces the point: they're not always leaning exclusively on Pokemon, even if they factor in Pokemon doing a certain amount of heavy lifting. They'll also know when Pokemon's not going to be there to do the heavy lifting.

I'm hesitant to believe they're going to release anything too big (with the exception of Metroid Prime 4) for the Switch if we are indeed going to be getting a successor in the next year or so.

Nintendo has to have reasons to sell us whatever the next console is going to be, and that means they're going to have to have a strong first party showing to give people a reason to buy a new console/iteration.

2017 - Super Mario Odyssey
2018 - Super Mario Party, Pokémon Lets Go and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
2019 - Luigi's Mansion 3 and Pokémon Sword & Shield
2020 - Super Mario 3D All Stars & Hyrule Warriors
2021 - Mario Party Superstars and Pokémon BDSP
2022 - Splatoon 3 and Pokémon Scarlet & Violet
Probably some I'm missing but there's at least 1-2 big games in the holiday, even at the height of COVID

Just a reminder, most of Nintendo’s summer/fall announcements leaked due to the marketing trail in the 4 months prior to e3 both for discreet and open leaks and now that’s completely dead
I don't think there's anything about between them and Nintendo.
For events? Sure, but I do think Discotek could’ve gotten the licensing worked out to get the GP legend dub from Nintendo, they just worked on a foxbox show from the same era(Ultimate Muscle) so a lot of the US side legwork is done, just a question of if they talked Nintendo into digging out the finished dubbed masters.

You joke, but that's more likely to happen than you'd believe.

A few demo station for Indie games, a few for their evergreens (Smash, MK, TotK, Splatoon) and a big focus on Horseshit game.
You calling splatoon an evergreen just made my whole week :3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom