• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to see we've finally hit the first insider doomposting speedbump of the thread, we're already making good progress.

Don't really buy what Robinson and Grubb are saying, though. I dunno why Nintendo would pivot back to Twitter announcements out of nowhere. Works for follow-up trailers, but for full reveals? Consider me skeptical.
In anticipation of but to not get overshadowed by a later hardware reveal, but lacking the quantity to warrant a full show, I guess.

If there's no hardware reveal coming any time soon it makes less sense, because then it just implies an extremely light H2 with nothing much else happening. But, like, so light they couldn't even cull something short (with third-parties) together. Which seems dubious.

This is under the potential scenario they're correct, of course.

I mean we literally will have less dated games after TotK than Wii U ever had.

This is from October 2016:

image.png

RIP Project Giant Robot though.

There is no way they go into late June into shareholders meeting with - Pikmin 4 - July 21st and Metroid Prime 4 - TBD and at the same time dodging shareholders questions about hardware when they would show them 2 titles coming out, with one month from that point and other as TBD.

Project Giant Robot became the Labo Robot Kit.

291ad9ab-a72d-4e46-b886-90ce6f9d13fd_1.841cf07ab7508259740218847eaa619b.jpeg

I don't blame you for forgetting because I'm literally the only person on the planet who remembers Labo was a thing.

I mean we literally will have less dated games after TotK than Wii U ever had.

This is from October 2016:

image.png

RIP Project Giant Robot though.

There is no way they go into late June into shareholders meeting with - Pikmin 4 - July 21st and Metroid Prime 4 - TBD and at the same time dodging shareholders questions about hardware when they would show them 2 titles coming out, with one month from that point and other as TBD.

Not entirely true. Zelda is dated for Friday. Pikmin 4 in July. Metroid Prime 4 and Detective Pikachu are TBD (although I question if the latter will ever see the light of day)

So we have 4 games!

I feel like there's likely to be a Partner Showcase regardless because partners always have stuff to show around this time, and a Pokemon Presents (most likely around Gamescom since they have a presence there - so Pokemon DLC, Pikmin and Zelda can headline there), but don't really expect a full Direct til September

Someone else coined that term. I think it was Tbone, but I'm not 100% sure. It's either the Succ or [REDACTED].
Microsoft coined [REDACTED], I proposed the hardware thread adopt it, and then it did!

Succ has been around for too long for me to remember the origin.

Anyway, my speculation is the REDACTED SUCC is revealed rather than there being a regular direct.

I hope Joy-Con AA Battery Packs fit the Joy-Con 2.0

Not entirely true. Zelda is dated for Friday. Pikmin 4 in July. Metroid Prime 4 and Detective Pikachu are TBD (although I question if the latter will ever see the light of day)

So we have 4 games!
Nah, Lukas is right. This is from Feb:

wUp5TNl.png

After Zelda they only have Pikmin 4 and Prime 4 scheduled.

Another thing I feel alone in realizing is that Ring Fit Adventure is what became of the Wii Vitality Sensor. The IR sensor used to track the players' heartrate is exactly what they were going for with that ill-fated device.
Nintendo Quality of Life has my favourite hardware from a gimmick point of view. The Vitality Sensor was an entirely standard LED pulse oximeter, which is quite different to what Ring Fit Adventure does. I wouldn't be surprised if their research on pulse oximeters had an influence on RFA, though. The use of a fairly standard IR camera and emitter to measure heart rate was inspired. Truly lateral thinking.

Their "contactless" sleep tracking technology becoming Pokémon Go PLUS+ PMC-004 was not something I was expecting, but I am DEFINITELY getting a PLUS+.

Nah, Lukas is right. This is from Feb:

wUp5TNl.png

After Zelda they only have Pikmin 4 and Prime 4 scheduled.
I don't think Detective Pikachu is on their list because it's pretty outside their orbit and more Pokémon company. I personally think it's alive but so delayed it's not relevant to Nintendo at the moment.

That said, this list is going to be all of three games come tomorrow, with only one TBA.

Microsoft coined [REDACTED], I proposed the hardware thread adopt it, and then it did!
Oh yeah, I know that. Bad wording on my part. I didn't mean to imply Tbone coined either of the two terms. What I wanted to say is that nowadays, we use either the Succ or [REDACTED] to name the Switch 2. Both are fun!

Project Giant Robot became the Labo Robot Kit.

291ad9ab-a72d-4e46-b886-90ce6f9d13fd_1.841cf07ab7508259740218847eaa619b.jpeg

I don't blame you for forgetting because I'm literally the only person on the planet who remembers Labo was a thing.
No, I remember it and I bring it ocasially as am huge fan of EPD4 but we can't say for sure if it's Project Giant Robot. It just looks similar.

Oh yeah, I know that. Bad wording on my part. I didn't mean to imply Tbone coined either of the two terms. What I wanted to say is that nowadays, we use either the Succ or [REDACTED] to name the Switch 2. Both are fun!
"[✂️][✂️][✂️]"-Microsoft.

So we have 4 games!
Detective Pikachu 2 is real and it's references by staff interviews very recently but as long as it's not proper announcement, it's not on their schedule. The same how Pikmin 4 never was before because Miyamoto said it in interview. Also am not sure if they will be publishing this one.

So we have 4 games!
Right but after next week we're down to one dated game. That Wii U pic came from when there were literally two first-party Wii U titles left, one which didn't release until the Switch was out. For all we know, MP4 may not come out before the next thing, or even on the Switch at this point.

Also that Wii U pic is from the same month the Switch was revealed. Something has to precede the shareholders meeting, they can't just waltz in there with one game releasing the following month and another that's been TBD for seven years.

Another thing I feel alone in realizing is that Ring Fit Adventure is what became of the Wii Vitality Sensor. The IR sensor used to track the players' heartrate is exactly what they were going for with that ill-fated device.
Oh that you might actually be alone on, because I completely forgot about the Wii Vitality Sensor, lol.

Can you believe they are discontinuing the switch, and going back to only supporting the 3ds? I heard a rumor that they are going to live stream the destruction of the prime 4 source code this june.

Last edited:
Detective Pikachu is real, yes - but we won't see that in a Direct until we've seen it in a Pokémon Presents first.

Anyway, my speculation is the REDACTED SUCC is revealed rather than there being a regular direct.

I genuinely wish I shared your confidence in this. I've pretty much given up on 2023 now but I think we won't have to wait for too much longer to hear more.

Something has to precede the shareholders meeting, they can't just waltz in there with one game releasing the following month and another that's been TBD for seven years.

Oh yes they can!

But I doubt they will.

When is the shareholder meeting anyway? Do we have a date in June or July for it? Could be a good indicator as to a date we could hear about the successor before.

I genuinely wish I shared your confidence in this. I've pretty much given up on 2023 now but I think we won't have to wait for too much longer to hear more.

I've yet to have any reason to give up. I'll give up if it's October with no reveal. 😅

Maybe they really have nothing for the rest of the year save from MK8D, Splatoon 3 and Pokemon DLC's. No, I don't expect the succ to be announced in September for a March release unless Nintendo was forced to delay it lile they were with the Switch and 3DS outside of the holiday period.

Can you believe they are disconintuing the switch, and going back to only supporting the 3ds? I heard a rumor that they are going to live stream the destruction of the prime 4 source code this june.
That doesn’t match up to what I heard at all. I heard the next home console is going to be revitalising the Super Scope, and you have to build it yourself out of cardboard.

Grubb and Robinson tweets makes me think that there is no rumble for a summer event, which in fact could be a no thing leaving us to wait for September. But on the other hand, Grubb talks about "tweets annoucements and youtube shadowdrops", which is pure speculation but it's interesting. I wonder, if Nintendo has any brand new releases for H2 203, how the communication will be handled.

Grubb and Robinson tweets makes me think that there is no rumble for a summer event, which in fact could be a no thing leaving us to wait for September. But on the other hand, Grubb talks about "tweets annoucements and youtube shadowdrops", which is pure speculation but it's interesting. I wonder, if Nintendo has any brand new releases for H2 203, how the communication will be handled.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. It would appear Nintendo has plugged leaks.

I heard Nintendo was building an ark to liberate the chosen Switch games in preparation for the descent of the true hardware as prophesized by the sages of yore. Was that ever followed up on?

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. It would appear Nintendo has plugged leaks.
Well yeah, of course we have no clear evidence until we do. personally I hope to have a noteable brand new release for the end of the year, no matter how they'll announce it.

I am curious when people like Grubb and Robinson normally start hearing about Nintendo's next direct plans.

I don't have a lot of trust in Nintendo rumors, or people guessing at what Nintendo is doing just because they have limited or no information. That said, my thought has always been that there should be a point where new hardware is somewhat imminent and therefore Nintendo's releases would slow down. Both to start marketing the new hardware, but also to hold a bunch of releases for it's launch period/first year. So a dry 2nd half of 2023 makes a lot of sense to me if hardware is on the way.

Almost a guarantee any new 3D Castlevania would be like this. I just want more IgaVanias but not sure Konami can do that well anymore
Aaaaaagh.

I know they can't probably get away with doing an IgaVania at AAA scale, but I would settle for something along the lines of Lords of Shadow. A Castlevania game with the production value of the REmakes would be sweet!

Robinson and Dring thought they had Nintendo clocked. Nothing major after Zelda! Pikmin ain't it, that's only a couple million seller at best. But they didn't count on the surprise holiday hit that would provide salvation from tedious third-party JRPGs: the Monolith Soft action game!
Dring's a clown, but there is no Monolithsoft action game.

Almost a guarantee any new 3D Castlevania would be like this. I just want more IgaVanias but not sure Konami can do that well anymore

I mean ... Dark Souls (to a lesser extend) and Bloodborne (down to the fucking whip weapon) are pretty much 3D Igavanias.

I'm of a couple minds here regarding hardware. Yes, Nintendo has nothing on the calendar after July, or even announced. However, if 2023 for new hardware was happening, I feel like we would be having a lot more leaks by now.

That said, my thought has always been that there should be a point where new hardware is somewhat imminent and therefore Nintendo's releases would slow down. Both to start marketing the new hardware, but also to hold a bunch of releases for it's launch period/first year. So a dry 2nd half of 2023 makes a lot of sense to me if hardware is on the way.

I agree with the bolded, but I just have a hard time reconciling a dry H2 2023 with the way they've organised their software release schedule in H1 2023, which also makes me second-guess that hardware is imminent until at the very least some months into 2024.

Additionally, while I think we're almost out of shiny new games for the base Switch, there are still a few suspects left that I think might come out on the base Switch: Metroid Prime 4, a 2D Mario, and a new Donkey Kong. And even if some or all of them come eventually with new hardware, we should still hear about the "smaller" stuff that might come before the next hardware, like e.g. the rumoured PM:TTYD remaster, MP2 and MP3 ports, etc.

Stuff like that is not reliant on new hardware and, again, the H1 schedule suggests that there are a few rabbits left in the hat that need to be drawn out, even if they're smaller than your Zeldas and Marios. And if hardware is less than 12 months out, it makes it even more imperative to get such games marketed earlier than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom