• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
returning to this, you see how the Pikmin 4 Direct is part of your theory that isn't necessary to obtain the same results? occam's razor says a regular June Direct with Pikmin covered by it
Yes, you are right but Pikmin 4 Direct gets us necessary deadline for June Direct itself. That was nothing more than a fun bit, I hope everyone gets it lol.

Nobody's ready for the May Mini Direct, a week on Wednesday, and the June Mario Direct.

Does the ReDraketed announcement, hosted by Drake and Furukawa doing the Hotline Bling dance, come before or after the Mario Direct?

Asking to make sure wether or not to include 3D Mario on the Bingo card.

Something tells me that we'll get Partners Showcase in June and regular Direct in September.

What's this about Konami stuff and Playstation?
Checks the interwebs

Oh hell no, if Sony paid to have an exclusive Castlevania game, i'll summon every demon imaginable to haunt them for eternity.
They can have MGS and Silent Hill, don't care about those. But Castlevania is the red line.

Wasn't he the one who said Nintendo was not participating at E3 because they had not enough content to justify space? As they seemingly have enough content to attend Gamescom lol.

I guess we'll see what happens in a few weeks I guess, I'm not getting my hopes up for it purely to not be disappointed, but you know damn well I'm secretly hoping like crazy that something Direct-wise happens in June. Going to be a long 750 pages of speculation otherwise again until September.

Probably even more pages since TGS is later.

The usual suspects typically know something is coming a month or so ahead so hopefully we won’t have to wonder too hard much longer.

I guess we'll see what happens in a few weeks I guess, I'm not getting my hopes up for it purely to not be disappointed, but you know damn well I'm secretly hoping like crazy that something Direct-wise happens in June. Going to be a long 750 pages of speculation otherwise again until September.

Probably even more pages since TGS is later.
If they had nothing to show by at least August, they would not attend Gamescom just with literally Prime 4 on their schedule.

If they had nothing to show by at least August, they would not attend Gamescom just with literally Prime 4 on their schedule.
Yeah true.. I don't think Gamescom is the type of show you only show off already released content, like TOTK or Pikmin 4. Everything Nintendo would've released up until Gamescom would be over a month old already, that's stuff you show off at something like PAX, not Gamescom.

Yeah true.. I don't think Gamescom is the type of show you only show off already released content, like TOTK or Pikmin 4. Everything Nintendo would've released up until Gamescom would be over a month old already, that's stuff you show off at something like PAX, not Gamescom.
Not to mention that it would be somewhat embarassing going late June into shareholders meeting with only 2 games and one as TBA.

I mean, if (and that's a big if) H2 is a transitional schedule with ports, remakes and DLC before heading into new hardware, it might be a shadow dropped Mini or some other marketing technique. People wouldn't necessarily hear about either beforehand. But there are going to be first-party releases in H2 after Pikmin 4, they are going to be announced at some point, and the September Direct is too late for anything that isn't at the very end of the year. So it won't be a Partner Showcase and it absolutely won't be nothing at all.

I mean, if (and that's a big if) H2 is a transitional schedule with ports, remakes and DLC before heading into new hardware, it might be a shadow dropped Mini or some other marketing technique. People wouldn't necessarily hear about either beforehand. But there are going to be first-party releases in H2 after Pikmin 4, they are going to be announced at some point, and the September Direct is too late for anything that isn't at the very end of the year. So it won't be a Partner Showcase and it absolutely won't be nothing at all.
This is my line of thinking as well.

I'm still waiting for Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD which were supposed to be released in 2021
segd.jpg

too bad I can't link you the original tweet since he deleted it. Andy Robinson knows really little when it comes to Nintendo.

I'm still waiting for Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD which were supposed to be released in 2021
segd.jpg

too bad I can't link you the original tweet since he deleted it. Andy Robinson knows really little when it comes to Nintendo.
Looking at this in retrospect, it even didn't made sense to release SSHD and WW + TP just around 4 months from each other.

segd.jpg

And based on TotK leaks these games were never in development to begin with.

Oh ok. I’d imagine this could be the week or next week the latest
Not sure if Nate would give any specifics though, as we know what happened last June as people were saying he said it would be a General, which he never said. But that was a fun part to figuring out the date. Last time, in February I only remember he said on Twitter that there would not be January Direct and then in podcast said something like "it's happening this week" or something.

Nintendo doesn't necessarily have to do anything if they're active on Twitter again. It's frustrating but...there it is. They're probably going to coast on TOTK for a little bit.

I'm sure we will get some kind of news this summer, though. Even if that's a Partner Direct and some Twitter stuff.

What's this about Konami stuff and Playstation?
Checks the interwebs

Oh hell no, if Sony paid to have an exclusive Castlevania game, i'll summon every demon imaginable to haunt them for eternity.
They can have MGS and Silent Hill, don't care about those. But Castlevania is the red line.
I'll take a Sony Castlevania game over the no Castlevania game which is likely the alternative

segd.jpg

I don't follow this guy close enough to defend him, but I will say you can do this with basically every source, because none of them have pristine records

More about batting average

Looking at this in retrospect, it even didn't made sense to release SSHD and WW + TP just around 4 months from each other.
I believe the thinking was 1) it was the 35th Zelda anniversary, 2) we had recently received the Mario collection on its anniversary, 3) other somewhat credible people were intimating these titles existed (some hinting at their imminence) and 4) people were originally hoping for TotK that year.

I'm not saying that Andy is right, but he was right about partner showcase last years and almost all leakers said that WW + TP were coming to Nintendo Switch.

Not sure if Nate would give any specifics though, as we know what happened last June as people were saying he said it would be a General, which he never said. But that was a fun part to figuring out the date. Last time, in February I only remember he said on Twitter that there would not be January Direct and then in podcast said something like "it's happening this week" or something.
Lol I remember when Nate was getting roasted for “saying” it would be a General when he never said that. People just infer and want to blame the messenger.

Wasn't he the one who said Nintendo was not participating at E3 because they had not enough content to justify space? As they seemingly have enough content to attend Gamescom lol.

I’m gonna get anxious with Andy Robinson saying that now. I really hope Nate hears something soon.

Andy was right about Nintendo and Sony not attending E3 this year 😎
Andy's been spot on with some things and way off with others; I wouldn't get too concerned yet. Equally, the whole "they're not doing E3 because they have no games" angle has always seemed odd to me, and Andy rolled back on it a few weeks later. I can't find the tweet, but he gave the impression Nintendo had caught him off guard and his earlier "no games" angle was wrong. Plus, as others have said, he was flat out wrong on more Zelda remasters following immediately after Skyward Sword.

Equally, at this point, I can't help but wonder if Nintendo have tightened up a little and people aren't privy to many specifics. Stuff like the Prime Remastered drop caught plenty of people off guard even if the game itself had leaked ages before that. I'd expect there to be a little smoke in the next few weeks, but who knows.

Did we have much in terms of leaks for the February Direct? I don't remember much, other than that random account nailing the Prime Remastered release but not necessarily tying it to a Direct.

I'll take a Sony Castlevania game over the no Castlevania game which is likely the alternative

My stance is, rather no Castlevania, than a shitty GoW/DMC ripoff, because let's be honest, Sony wouldn't be interested in a 2D/2.5D game.
On top of Castlevania being a multiplatform IP, which means it's yet another case of Sony not paying to have a game developed but paying to keep a game off other platforms.

As much as I think a June Direct makes the most sense, it'd also be interesting if that doesn't happen, because then, with only Pikmin 4 nailed down for release in July and most of Nintendo's fiscal year empty, we'd be in seriously unprecedented territory.

Just be nice if that could happen without enormous meltdowns...

I just find it hard to believe that Nintendo, a company that been known to hold onto finished games like Metroid Prime Remaster and FE Engage for months/years at a time, is about to have the 2023 2h dry spell with nothing to release. If you need more new games for the second half of 2023, move either Kirby Return DX or Prime Remaster to March and have Bayonetta origins come out in October a year after Bayo 3.

As much as I think a June Direct makes the most sense, it'd also be interesting if that doesn't happen, because then, with only Pikmin 4 nailed down for release in July and most of Nintendo's fiscal year empty, we'd be in seriously unprecedented territory.

Just be nice if that could happen without enormous meltdowns...

I wonder who would have the bigger meltdowns, the fans or the various writers for games outlets and mags.

June Direct has to happen in my view, or at least something to date few games before late June. But if there is not one, it would be entertaining to watch here. I would not mind as Zelda will keep me busy and Pikmin is just 2 months after that.

Too early to really be worried about a Direct at this point. The only thing of interest for speculation purposes are the financials in less than 48 hours which it’d be surprising still if anything directly came out of them.

I wonder who would have the bigger meltdowns, the fans or the various writers for games outlets and mags.
Eh, I kinda feel like Christopher Dring's tweets/reporting, combined with people like Andy picking it up, have already set a general level of expectation in media circles that Nintendo genuinely don't have anything much coming post-Zelda. I can just about see how that's settled in, but realistically, it would be a pretty big failing for Nintendo to dial down software support when Switch's software market is so healthy and their stated aim with EPD was to ensure strong generational transitions by keeping consistent software support going. But it's also become "conventional wisdom" for Nintendo's support to drop suddenly as a console ages, and Zelda has absorbed all the oxygen in the room. Even if Nintendo have some commercially huge game - like new 2D Mario - coming later this year, it's not going to have as much weight as Zelda in the eyes of a lot of media (and, to be fair, this Zelda game is surely one of Nintendo's most significant ever individual releases).

I wonder if potential projects like F Zero and Paper Mario remasters have actually become somewhat common knowledge; with that in mind, people might be expecting that Nintendo don't have much else. It could easily be one of those periods where whatever Nintendo release isn't all that interesting to a chunk of the mainstream gaming media.

One thing I do remember is that, when Zippo was claiming stuff like 2D Mario was set for 2023, and that a Kid Icarus Uprising Remaster was happening, Emily Rogers said it wasn't total bunk and that some of that stuff was on the cards this year.

The only time Nintendo actually confirmed that "there is Direct in the future" was in October 2015 when at NIntendo's earnings Kimishima said "Direct is alive, with at least one coming this year." and we've got one, month after that in November. But that was unprecedented situation as that was after dead of Iwata so people were wondering if the format will continue without him.

One way or another there will be a June show, the only question is if Nintendo brings their games or not to it. Given how little are publicly floating, it would be shocking if they didn’t. They only dated 3rd party games through July really in the last Direct and 3rd party always needs to be detailed in a presentation since partners pay to be there.

To follow up on my previous post, there is no way there aren't any notable releases in H2. Nintendo absolutely would not have shadow-dropped Metroid Prime Remastered in a month that already had a Kirby and Octopath 2 and two weeks after Fire Emblem Engage if they needed to space out this year's schedule.

Jeff's speculation could be based on tiny stuff he's maybe heard from Nintendo's Partners, but I'm leaning towards "too early to tell definitively" atm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom