• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont get this hating on a partner showcase.

Last year we got
Nier, a banging port
Lorelei, new game from Sayonara Wild Hearts
Battle Network Collection
Return to Monkey Island
Sparks of Hope
Portal Collection
No Man's Sky
Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes
Dragon Quest Treasures
LIVE A LIVE
Super Bomberman R 2
Sunbreak
Sonic Frontiers
Little Noah

As far as consistency it was better than the direct earlier this year which was a snoozefest in the first half, but saved by the latter portion.
I'm surprised you didn't include the biggest announcement from that presentation here, AKA the Persona ports. That was an incredible showcase.

Last year we got
Nier, a banging port
Return to Monkey Island
Sparks of Hope
Portal Collection
No Man's Sky
Dragon Quest Treasures
LIVE A LIVE
Super Bomberman R 2
Sunbreak
Sonic Frontiers
Little Noah

As far as consistency it was better than the direct earlier this year which was a snoozefest in the first half, but saved by the latter portion.
Yeah, even during the pandemic when we had monthly partner showcases, I really liked those because they showed a lot of niche AA games that may not have gotten any attention if they did regular directs instead

Hate is a too strong word. I strongly dislike him because I see in him the biggest image of today's players (on internet). Ego and misinformation.
Why tho? The only egotistical thing he does is host the shows himself and that’s probably, more than anything, a holdover from his TV hosting days like 20 years ago. As for misinformation, I have to disagree. Maybe I’m biased because I’m such a fan of his previous investigative journalism but his Final Hours investigations back in the 90s/2000s were some of the best games writing I grew up reading.

Whenever that is next, it'll be 5 minutes or one hour until Nintendo gives us a gameplay reveal of Everybody 1-2 Switch or a Nintendo Direct announcement.

Last year we got
Nier, a banging port
Return to Monkey Island
Sparks of Hope
Portal Collection
No Man's Sky
Dragon Quest Treasures
LIVE A LIVE
Super Bomberman R 2
Sunbreak
Sonic Frontiers
Little Noah

If it's a Partner Showcase I will delete my Fami account.

Whenever that is next, it'll be 5 minutes or one hour until Nintendo gives us a gameplay reveal of Everybody 1-2 Switch or a Nintendo Direct announcement.
Oh god I just remembered we don't even have a trailer for that yet. Why do I have a feeling we're gonna get Bojack'd while hyped for a potential Direct announcement?

Last year we got
Nier, a banging port
Return to Monkey Island
Sparks of Hope
Portal Collection
No Man's Sky
Dragon Quest Treasures
LIVE A LIVE
Super Bomberman R 2
Sunbreak
Sonic Frontiers
Little Noah

Yeah Nier & Persona ports alone made this partners direct an absolute win for me. Though I’ll admit, previous partner directs did little for me.

Last year we got
Nier, a banging port
Return to Monkey Island
Sparks of Hope
Portal Collection
No Man's Sky
Dragon Quest Treasures
LIVE A LIVE
Super Bomberman R 2
Sunbreak
Sonic Frontiers
Little Noah

Yeah, it was a great show but a Partner Direct will never replace a general one for me, because I just care about 1st party announcements most. It’s nice to have those 3rd party games on the go though.

Last year we got
Nier, a banging port
Return to Monkey Island
Sparks of Hope
Portal Collection
No Man's Sky
Dragon Quest Treasures
LIVE A LIVE
Super Bomberman R 2
Sunbreak
Sonic Frontiers
Little Noah

Sadly we don't have many rumored third party games to fill a full Partner Showcase. And we have quite a few rumored first part stuff, including yet to been Pokémon expansion packs. There still will be some big third party reveals, especially from Square, Atlus and Konami but it won't reach June 2022 levels.

What is today but yesterday's tomorrow?

i-understood-that-reference-chris-evans.gif

you have to have a better argument than that lmao. You could've at least mentioned his pretty sad flip-flop on Activision.
This is definitely where I think he deserves criticism: I think he truly does want the best for the industry and those working in it, but also he sometimes puts that aside for the business venture he’s running. It’s not great.

The Partner Showcase last year was better than the September Direct imo. I’m of the mindset any Nintendo branded show over 20 minutes is a “direct” so I’ll happily take a partner showcase if that’s all we’re getting.

That being said, we really need 1st party news if new hardware is indeed late 2024.

I think there’s a Nintendogs episode tonight so we might get an update from Jeff.

Sadly we don't have many rumored third party games to fill a full Partner Showcase. And we have quite a few rumored first part stuff, including yet to been Pokémon expansion packs. There still will be some big third party reveals, especially from Square, Atlus and Konami but it won't reach June 2022 levels.
Just because stuff isn’t rumored doesn’t mean it’s not happening. Even then, we have plenty of third party stuff that need dates which could fill a partner showcase on their own.

Gotta remember that Partner Showcases can be as long as like 30 minutes, or as short as 10. There’s no “there’s not enough to fill one” about these things.

Oh god I just remembered we don't even have a trailer for that yet. Why do I have a feeling we're gonna get Bojack'd while hyped for a potential Direct announcement?
Is...is playing Everybody 1-2 Switch the light at the end of the tunnel for us all?

o79vmnrs5zo71.gif

This is definitely where I think he deserves criticism: I think he truly does want the best for the industry and those working in it, but also he sometimes puts that aside for the business venture he’s running. It’s not great.
Hate the game, not the player?

And yea, his SIMply Divine profile for Maxis on the cusp of The Sims release is still cited some 20 years later. He's done great work in the past.

Yeah he's not a perfect person and definitely deserve criticism for this. However, I think he's done more good for the industry. So I can look past some of his shortcomings.

Hate the game, not the player?

And yea, his SIMply Divine profile for Maxis on the cusp of The Sims release is still cited some 20 years later. He's done great work in the past.
It’s so good! Geoff really knows games inside and out. It’s why I get so dismayed anyone says the word “Doritos” in the same sentence as his name. Dude did one sponsored thing once literally a decade ago and THAT’S what he’s known for? Honestly it’s so disappointing.

It’s so good! Geoff really knows games inside and out. It’s why I get so dismayed anyone says the word “Doritos” in the same sentence as his name. Dude did one sponsored thing once literally a decade ago and THAT’S what he’s known for? Honestly it’s so disappointing.
Give things another 5 years and I'm sure people will forget about Dorito Pope like they did his writing. Because the gaming fandom is a constantly revolving door with the memory and attention span of a flea.

That said, I still don't particularly like the shows he puts on but that's more an issue with the shows and me just not really caring for the types of games that get shown at them.

Actually, I'm not far enough into TOTK yet to start thinking about anything else. So if Nintendo would just postpone the Direct and Pikmin 4 until the end of summer, that would be great, thanks.

Yeah, it was a great show but a Partner Direct will never replace a general one for me, because I just care about 1st party announcements most. It’s nice to have those 3rd party games on the go though.
And to add to that: I think that showcases with 1st and 3rd party games back to back are much more powerful. I want to see Nintendo's games AND the ones from their partners, same goes for Sony SoPs, they're just not that interesting when they just present the other peoples' stuff

Starfield has announced its first expansion well before release but that reminds me how ToTK doesn't have DLC announced yet and how that is kind of weird for a high profile game these days. Like not just paid DLC but also no announcements on future free content updates (not referring patches and bug fixes). Stuff like photo mode, or free outfits, or whatever, the typical free post-release stuff you see nowadays.

I do expect ToTK DLC but it's almost out of the ordinary nowadays for big title like to have no announced plans for future content a month after release.

Starfield has announced its first expansion well before release but that reminds me how ToTK doesn't have DLC announced yet and how that is kind of weird for a high profile game these days. Like not just paid DLC but also no announcements on future free content updates (not referring patches and bug fixes). Stuff like photo mode, or free outfits, or whatever, the typical free post-release stuff you see nowadays.

I do expect ToTK DLC but it's almost out of the ordinary nowadays for big title like to have no announced plans for future content a month after release.
I think they didn’t want to announce DLC pre-release because it’s the first game of theirs to be $70, and they didn’t want the messaging to be “we want more money, and then even more money.”

I think they didn’t want to announce DLC pre-release because it’s the first game of theirs to be $70, and they didn’t want the messaging to be “we want more money, and then even more money.”

True but they honestly could gotten away with it lol

But I'm also referring to free updates. We are very much in a time where developers like to say that "more is coming" either prior to release or shortly after, even if the content will ultimately be free. It's all about roadmaps and post-launch support and content drops these days, even for many single player games.

True but they honestly could gotten away with it lol

But I'm also referring to free updates. We are very much in a time where developers like to say that "more is coming" either prior to release or shortly after, even if the content will ultimately be free. It's all about roadmaps and post-launch support and content drops these days, even for many single player games.
Probably wanted to avoid any possible sentiment of the game shipping unfinished. I’d bet that a lot of the little added bonus things that would have gotten added post-release got put in during that one-year-long polish period.

I think they want to make the upcoming DLC more impactful that BotW's, a bit lile Elden Ring's. Especially since they won't have a new 3D Zelda until 2028.

It might even wait until the Drake showcase, which would make a fuckton of sense.

Probably wanted to avoid any possible sentiment of the game shipping unfinished. I’d bet that a lot of the little added bonus things that would have gotten added post-release got put in during that one-year-long polish period.
Yeah, I actually wish more games would move onto the model of waiting till it releases and first impressions period is over before announcing DLC because it can cause a lot of people to wonder why it was never included in the first place

Yeah, I actually wish more games would move onto the model of waiting till it releases and first impressions period is over before announcing DLC because it can cause a lot of people to wonder why it was never included in the first place

I remember a developer saying that the reason why DLCs are announced prior to release is because DLCs sell a lot fewer than people think and the bulk of DLC sales actually come at the launch of the game, not when the DLC is actually released. Launch is when the game itself has the most exposure and that diminishes greatly over time.

Geoff is a man made entirely of video game marketing. He's bad for video games as a medium, with his weirdo Oscars pastiche that's 90% commercials, combining the worst of self-important awards shows with Dudeo Bro Capital G Gamer AAA marketing.

But hey! I'm in a Direct thread. I obviously love marketing. Geoff is fun to watch and basically inoffensive. All hail the Dorito Pope.

I remember a developer saying that the reason why DLCs are announced prior to release is because DLCs sell a lot fewer than people think and the bulk of DLC sales actually come at the launch of the game, not when the DLC is actually released. Launch is when the game itself has the most exposure and that diminishes greatly over time.

I feel like the amount of people that actually get annoyed by it in any noteworthy way is probably one of those things that's super overrepresented in peoples minds by them just being louder about it too

For some people dlc is always bad, doesn't matter if it's free or paid, if it's announced before, during, or way after launch, or how much, if any, was of the dlc work was done before or after the game launched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom