• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would they do a partners showcase now when they need to announce first party games coming after July 21?
Depending on if they announce new first party games (games they actually care about, Everybody 1,2 Switch! doesn't count) before they air a Direct, it's either a General Direct or nothing. If there's no first party game announced and they air a Partner Direct, everybody is going to be talking about: "Wait, but what's after Pikmin then?"

I don't think Nintendo wants any of that conversation going on if they invest time and most importantly money in a Nintendo Direct of any kind, even when it's only 1 week or two weeks. Even then, people would be wondering "why isn't this in a Direct?"

Has it ever been stated why Nintendo chooses not to work with Geoff Keighley, is it come kind of blind loyaltly to E3/ESA?
It's not so much not working with Geoff Keighley, as not working with SGF. Geoff Keighley himself stated a couple of days ago that Nintendo is a great supporter of The Game Awards but as of yet hasn't bitten SGF's bait to join.

Has it ever been stated why Nintendo chooses not to work with Geoff Keighley, is it come kind of blind loyaltly to E3/ESA?
Nah I think they just like doing their own thing and having more control. And they do stuff with Geoff all the time at The Game Awards, just not SGF for whatever reason.

I’m still thinking full direct. But what’s annoying me is people saying Nintendo will have nothing for the back half of the year when that doesn’t match their pattern or releases this year at all

I think it is just more that Geoff and Reggie were buddy buddy so Reggie probably pushed internally for more collaborations between both groups. It wasn't that long ago that Geoff hosted an E3 Smash Bros invitational.

They still have a presence at the TGA's every year. Granted the announcements haven't been as big, but they still take part in it.

Fully expecting Nintendo to continue the trend of this year's shows being very whelming to me.
I honestly can't think of anything I specifically want or need this year. Which is a perfectly fine place to be in. There will be at least one thing I'll be happy about I'm sure, but like... at the rate I'm going TotK is going to take me to the end of the year along with my usual slow-rolling of everything else I've already got.

I feel like someone who ate a three course meal and then agreed to go with friends to the nearest all you can eat place. Seriously, y'all I'm full right now.

But what’s annoying me is people saying Nintendo will have nothing for the back half of the year when that doesn’t match their pattern or releases this year at all
Has this ever actually been true during the Switch's life time?

I think it is just more that Geoff and Reggie were buddy buddy so Reggie probably pushed internally for more collaborations between both groups. It wasn't that long ago that Geoff hosted an E3 Smash Bros invitational.

They still have a presence at the TGA's every year. Granted the announcements haven't been as big, but they still take part in it.
Kit and Krysta are also friends with Geoff so they were typically some of the people working with him for the Nintendo/TGA collabs.

One of the best things about E3 to me was that we knew for a fact thats when we would hear something from Nintendo and i liked having that certainty but seems from here on out we going to be playing the guessing game and fishing info form "insiders"

Nintendo is going to do a General Direct. They’re not going to do anything lesser. We have no clue what’s coming after July 21st. We’re midway through the year. It’s the perfect time to make a big General and announce from first and third party what’s filling out the calendar.

I honestly can't think of anything I specifically want or need this year. Which is a perfectly fine place to be in. There will be at least one thing I'll be happy about I'm sure, but like... at the rate I'm going TotK is going to take me to the end of the year along with my usual slow-rolling of everything else I've already got.

I feel like someone who ate a three course meal and then agreed to go with friends to the nearest all you can eat place. Seriously, y'all I'm full right now.
Yeah, between my backlog and everything else that’s been announced for the rest of the year they would have to show something truly exceptional coming after Pikmin. I’m gonna need a very good reason to drop everything else I’m gonna be playing.

Nintendo is going to do a General Direct. They’re not going to do anything lesser. We have no clue what’s coming after July 21st. We’re midway through the year. It’s the perfect time to make a big General and announce from first and third party what’s filling out the calendar.
Or they Twitter drop everything 💀

If kookycake ran the show they would
Kookycake:
81OFZCCBwlL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Has this ever actually been true during the Switch's life time?
Nope. Heck wii and wiiu were the exceptions for HD teething and a complete failure of a console. Nes, snes, n64 and GC all had support till halfway into the launch year of their suceeding console

I'm still genuinely prepared for anything at this point lol.

The whole "Nintendo needs to ______ by (insert date here)" idea has been thrown for a loop since 2020.

Worst case scenario is Twitter drops which really isn't that bad of a thing anyways.

It's not that complicated

TGA's happen during a period of time where Nintendo doesn't have a direct or other event to show off games. Nintendo is also often at TGA's as they've been nominated, and often win, many awards. It makes sense to 1-2 combo and throw Keighly a bone with things like Ultimate Alliance 3, Bayonetta Origins, and Smash dlc reveals.

SGF happens during a period where Nintendo has historically had a direct presentation anyway. While they could in theory give Keighly a bone, they're probably right in the fact the amount of sgf viewers who watch sgf, don't watch a direct, but would still buy a Nintendo switch exclusive is non existent. Keighly should just try and convince Nintendo to have their direct under the SGF umbrella of events.

The whole "Nintendo needs to ______ by (insert date here)" idea has been thrown for a loop since 2020.

Worst case scenario is Twitter drops which really isn't that bad of a thing anyways.
Nintendo literally needs to announce games soon though, after Pikmin 4 they have nothing dated. People can say "oh they can rely on Zelda sales" all they want but it's just not good business sense to bet all your horses on one game. Remember, the only reason the gameplay video for TOTK exists is because they were thinking "oh shit, people are not really talking about this game all that much". So even Tears of the Kingdom isn't safe from risk.

TOTK can sell 10 million copies, but investors are going to be quick in asking "okay that was cool, but where is the next thing that's going to make us even more money?"
edit: pressed send to soon.

Would be very pleasantly surprised if we got a general direct this month. No e3 last year and no 1st party direct makes me think with no e3 this year also no direct but would be great. Would be dope to see that paper mario ttyd HD rumor come true.

Would be very pleasantly surprised if we got a general direct this month. No e3 last year and no 1st party direct makes me think with no e3 this year also no direct but would be great. Would be dope to see that paper mario ttyd HD rumor come true.
I mean they never skipped a June, last year had a partner showcase. This year they have a considerable gap in their release schedule

Sometimes I think people believe there’s 20 different ways to make game announcements lol. Pigeon carrier and stone tablet announcements are dead lol.

It’s only Twitter or YouTube videos.

I think we in the clear if Nintendo doesnt twitter drop info on Mario Kart and Splatoon DLC or even worse an overview trailer for Pikmin 4

I’m at the point at the end of the Switch’s life where, until the switch 2 is shown, every direct will be a make or break solely based on prime 4 to me.

It’s been a long and successful life for the system, and that promise from way back in the first year of the system’s life is the last thing I need fulfilled to cap of the Switch generation.

They could surprise me with a ton of awesome stuff I didn’t know I wanted in the next direct, but no matter what, the shadow of Prime 4 will always loom until it’s revealed from this point forward. It’s time imo

Nah I think they just like doing their own thing and having more control. And they do stuff with Geoff all the time at The Game Awards, just not SGF for whatever reason.
I would imagine because during the summer they do their own events, while Dec doesn't usually feature a general/mini and is roughly halfway between the fall and spring Directs, so they may have a trailer or two they'd be willing to show without infringing on their own events.

Liking or disliking the games is obviously subjective, but for the time being I understand even less the idea of trying to put Topical Freeze and Celeste in competition as they are in fact totally different propositions. Personally, I think both games are wonderful, and I absolutely understand why you might not like either or both of them, but it makes no sense to put them in competition with each other in my opinion.

You're probably right to talk about saturation, and I say that as someone who absolutely loves Mario. However, it's very interesting that you talk about level design, because it's certainly on this point that I find Tropical Freeze to be a masterpiece, and it's also on this point that I found NSMBU a little too generic, which explains my excitement and impatience for a new 2D Mario that would be more creative and modern.
It’s interesting you say that, because even though it’s the one I’m least fond of, the consensus I’ve seen is that NSMBU has the best level design of the New series. And even though it uses the same world themes as the other games, the level backgrounds are a lot more detailed and more visually appealing than previous NSMB games.
Me before beating Zelda: Why would I care about whether we get a June Direct? I’m going to play Zelda forever.

Me after having just beat Zelda: Pwease mister Nintendo… can I have some more video game news…
Me only about 20 hours in and nowhere close to beating Zelda:
Pwease mister Nintendo… can I have some more video game news…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom