• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST2| Fami's Summer Gameguess

When will the next Direct air?

• It's going to be in May! cHaOs!

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Patterns, man. 14th of June, 2022. The usual.

Votes: 211 81.8%
  • Nintendo will be weird again, early July.

Votes: 23 8.9%
  • Nintendo's Twitter Direct's will be the norm, Septermber 2022.

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Geoff the Summerman will add it to Summer Gamefest

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally it doesn't matter when or what type of direct shows up. But this is the time of year where video game companies are supposed to bring out their big games, so I will be very disappointed if we don't get a big effort from Nintendo. I want my Zelda now, damn it!

@NateDrake what’re your thoughts on Tom Henderson’s tweet?

With the information you have, is it possible that it’s simply “something else” / not a direct

Edit: just saw this - my bad. Still not sure how to interpret it tho
Tom is kind of right... he's conflating one thing as evidence there is no Direct. And that conclusion is wrong.

I mean it is a full year. And we still have normally a September direct for the last part of 2022 and early 2023. So I don't expect everything next week just some games for August and perhaps October. And something early 2023. I actually can't recall what we normally get in an E3 direct.

• January: Pokémon Legends: Arceus
  • February: third party games
  • March: Kirby and the Forgotten Lands, Triangle Strategy
  • April: Nintendo Switch Sports
  • June: Mario Strikers: Battle League Football, Fire Emblem Three Hopes, Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak
  • July: Xenoblade Chronicles 3
  • August: empty
  • September: Splatoon 3
  • October: empty
  • November: Pokémon Scarlet & Violet
  • December: empty
TBA:
  • Mario + Rabbids
  • Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp
  • Bayonetta 3

Don't get me wrong; the whole reason I said "had" is because of course they will announce something soon. If 2/3 of the TBA games come out we had twelve games this year at least. Even if one of them doesn't make it I do think we get more games soon announced. And I didn't even look at the third party games

Maybe I understood you wrongly though. Anyway, I do think something is happening next year and I think it is a full direct. That said I wouldnt be disappointed if it is nothing as I have quite some games to play still :p
Check out the number of Nintendo published titles per year in other years. Even 12 releases isn't "stacked".

Tom is kind of right... he's conflating one thing as evidence there is no Direct. And that conclusion is wrong.
This is all so intriguing. Looking forward to the podcast on Monday either way. If nothing else, regardless of General vs. Mini vs. Partner, the ride has been immensely entertaining

If the next episode isn’t gonna go live till Monday then I’ll probably bail from this thread (and Nintendo discussions in general) until after. I don’t have the patience any it’s for prolonged hype torture lol

If Nate is suggesting what I think he's suggesting (that there's something in the Direct that wouldn't normally be in a Direct), it's either the Mario Movie or Switch Pro/Lite OLED. Nothing else makes sense.

And Partner Direct have had Mario Golf, Hyrule Warriors, and such. So the line between General, Mini, and Partner continues to blur.
Wait there was a Partner Direct with a Mario game? To be honest you might be right, I don't remember much of 2020 when it comes to Nintendo news

If the Direct is solely about Mario then I will pull my unmade Labo VR kit from 2019 out of my closet and build every single thing inside.

Who here would exchange a Summer 2022 Software Direct for a Summer 2022 Switch Pro Direct?

In this hypothetical, the only games shown running on the new hardware are old or currently announced Switch games (with no new footage), but the device is coming by the end of this year.

The line between General, Mini and Partner continues to blur for insiders because they only have a few sources that indicate when a Nintendo event will happen. For them, in terms of what indicates a Direct of any kind, there seems to be no difference.

I think that has become clear after the 2020 Mini Direct.

For Nintendo (and the viewers) obviously there is a difference because they literally name them differently. That shouldn't even be a debate.

Also, I wouldn't compare State of Plays to Nintendo's Partner showcases either as Sony has tremendously more non-indie third-party support. The difference between what Nintendo can show in a potential third-party Direct in comparison is of magnitudes.

@NateDrake , do you think nintendos first party releases this year may dry out a bit after splatoon, and thats why they are keeping their cards close to their chest with potentially a partner show case. Understandably, no release seems certain this year

@NateDrake , do you think nintendos first party releases this year may dry out a bit after splatoon, and thats why they are keeping their cards close to their chest with potentially a partner show case. Understandably, no release seems certain this year
We already know they have a MAJOR release lined up for after Splatoon so I’d doubt that

It’s gonna be a mini direct. We’ll get a big one in the fall.

If Nate is suggesting what I think he's suggesting (that there's something in the Direct that wouldn't normally be in a Direct), it's either the Mario Movie or Switch Pro/Lite OLED. Nothing else makes sense.
And whatever the thing is that Tom Henderson knows about, there is also some form of software showcase to go along with it, or air separately.

wee-bey-wee-bey-reversed.gif

Yes, but these were not a new announcements. Just a updates on already released titles.

Age of Calamity was in a Partner and was a new announcement.

@NateDrake what’re your thoughts on Tom Henderson’s tweet?

With the information you have, is it possible that it’s simply “something else” / not a direct

Edit: just saw this - my bad. Still not sure how to interpret it tho

My info is a Direct. Tom speaks of something else (not Nintendo hardware nor a Nintendo presentation) and it's not on the day of the Direct.

The line between General, Mini and Partner continues to blur for insiders because they only have a few sources that indicate when a Nintendo event will happen.

For Nintendo (and the viewers) obviously there is a difference because they literally name them differently. That shouldn't even be a debate.
yeah like, how is the line starting to blur? the line seems pretty clear to me.

age of calamity was not announced in a partner direct.

How in the world is Mario + Rabbids primed for next week but Bayonetta 3 isn't?

Both would qualify for both first party and 3rd party games. In fact the one that's more 1st party because of the Mario IP is going to show up but Bayonetta 3 a 3rd party IP made by a 3rd party company isn't even though it was dated for this year almost a year ago? It can't be a partner showcase then.

It has to be a mini then. That sucks man. Really sucks

How does having no E3 throw that much of a wrench into their plans? They literally would have just done the same thing anyway and posted a video online. It ain't that different.

Are they really going to wait until September to announce Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime, Zelda BotW2, Bayonetta 3, and other big games? What? Two of those games are done already
I'm not sure how you jump from "we know M+R will be there and not sure about Bayo 3" to "it's a Mini"

All that really says is that Nate knows M+R is being shown next week at a Direct of some sort, which we could've already guessed since that franchise is so leaky it makes you question Mario's actual plumbing credentials, and almost everyone knows of this Direct

My info is a Direct. Tom speaks of something else (not Nintendo hardware nor a Nintendo presentation) and it's not on the day of the Direct.
Nah. Age of Calamity was a special announcement on its own from Aonuma.

I'm fully expecting the Mario movie trailer next week to coincide with Minions, then a Mini or Partner. Still hoping for a Mini, it just makes more sense.

Alll the sources insiders have these days that could potentially indicate a Nintendo event are exclusively third-party.

I think that has become quite clear.

I'm fully expecting the Mario movie trailer next week to coincide with Minions, then a Mini or Partner. Still hoping for a Mini, it just makes more sense.
yeah agreed, mini makes more sense. specially since they have to talk about mario kart dlc and probably updates for strikers and Switch sports

This threads isn’t the mood I was hoping for this morning. Probably should step away from it all until next week.

I'm still confused why we're suddenly so sure it's not a General Direct. Did I miss something? Thread's going too fast
Nate said he might have to edit down his video so delaying posting until announcement and he’s heard things that might have changed what the direct is.

I'm still confused why we're suddenly so sure it's not a General Direct. Did I miss something? Thread's going too fast

It's more that all the insiders that hinted at a Direct happening next week seem to only know that Nintendo has an event planned for a specific day.

What that is remains to be seen.

It could easily be there. It's just my thought (not information) that it may not be there.

The difference between a Mini and a General is minimal. Partner, sure; as it has a bigger focus on third-party games, primarily.

The intent is: enjoy what is offered. People are down on a Direct that has yet to even be announced. If you had no idea about the show and it dropped next week as a Partner... would people be down on it? Or are they down on it because it doesn't fit what they hoped June would bring?

Sony had a SoP without any Sony games and the show was excellent.
Yeah, for me it’d be because June usually brings more, and the fact that Nintendo has the content to make a general if we even just keep this year alone, not even going into next year like they usually do at this time.

It’s just frustrating and pointless. The lack of E3 didn’t need to mess their usual plans up this much. Why fix what isn’t broke. this isn’t 2020, the content for a great, full presentation is there. I just don’t really get it : /

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read the threadmarked staff post before posting about rumors or insiders. Do not beg insiders for reassurance or tag individuals asking for more hints. Snarky or mean-spirited responses will not be tolerated.

Back
Top Bottom