• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Nintendo Direct announced for September 13th (7 AM PT, 10 AM ET, 3 PM BST, 4 PM CEST)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playstation Japanese Game Direct and Nintendo Direct with my favourite franchise (Zelda)

AND ITS MY BIRTHDAY

TOMORROW IM EATING GOOD

I'm still choosing to doubt the Zelda ports. Specifically WW/TP. Current Nintendo has no reason to release those together or even near each other. Hell, no reason to even reveal them together.

Unless BOTW 2 is delayed again to Q4 2023 there's just not enough room for 2 big 3D Zelda's between now and spring 2023, judging by how Nintendo typically schedules things.

I think it's more likely we get a new 2D game, a 2D remake or port (maybe Oracles NSO?) or a spinoff like Cadence of Hyrule.
If Nintendo's realllly pushing that Spring 2023 window (like early June), I can see the gap being big enough

I don't work particularly close to the Nintendo store and my boss and I don't really have a "go get coffee together" relationship so I don't think I can do that, haha
My boss offered to lend me his copy of Iwata Asks, so I think it could’ve worked if we were 10 blocks closer.

If Nintendo's realllly pushing that Spring 2023 window (like early June), I can see the gap being big enough
For three 3D Zelda games? When SSHD had an entire year to itself?

I really don't see it. They'll want to save each of those for a year without a big Zelda release.

I'm still choosing to doubt the Zelda ports. Specifically WW/TP. Current Nintendo has no reason to release those together or even near each other. Hell, no reason to even reveal them together.

Unless BOTW 2 is delayed again to Q4 2023 there's just not enough room for 2 big 3D Zelda's between now and spring 2023, judging by how Nintendo typically schedules things.

I think it's more likely we get a new 2D game, a 2D remake or port (maybe Oracles NSO?) or a spinoff like Cadence of Hyrule.
You might not mean to imply this, but I wouldn't assume these two 3D titles are going to be noticeably more popular or a bigger deal than a '2D' title. Link's Awakening hit 6 million sold on Switch in a little over 2 years, for example. Ultimately, it's Old Zelda (though I am curious as to how TP in particular would perform as a standalone, given it was very popular originally).

Nintendo did also do a 2D Mario port five months before they launched Super Mario Maker 2. Let's say that TP/WW come in early October as a double pack, and new Zelda is May or June; that's a Christmas sales season and 7 to 8 months distance.

My assumption is there's going to be a 5 month gap, minimum, and that Nintendo are confident other Zelda games are on track for post 2023.

Honestly, I see even less reason to ever doubt anything Nate, Emily, and/or Grubb says. Grubb feels very confident they’ll be there tomorrow, so imo that pretty much seals the deal. And I don’t think it’s worth the effort trying to understand why Nintendo does anything they do. Sometimes it makes sense, other times it just really doesn’t. Would anyone ever think they’d not only just randomly announce a brand new Paper Mario game on Twitter, but it would also be releasing a month later? They make their own rules and we’re all just along for the ride.

Guys do you think we will see DK tommorow? I think it is kind of unlikely and they could just show it early 2023, but anything is possible...

For three 3D Zelda games? When SSHD had an entire year to itself?

I really don't see it. They'll want to save each of those for a year without a big Zelda release.
The only way I see it working is if it is indeed a combo pack, so it's essentially just two games. One late 2022, one early-mid 2023. I'm still not sure they'd do that, but it's at least plausible. You're right though, if they're sold separately and spaced apart, then I'd say no way.

TP and WW will only be near the top of the sales charts for two months. If Nintendo were to release them in October and BOTW 2 releases in April, that's a whole 6 months gap. Not saying that is what I think will happen. I just think people are overestimating how much of a gap there needs to be between releases and underestimating how far away Spring of next year actually is.

You might not mean to imply this, but I wouldn't assume these two 3D titles are going to be noticeably more popular or a bigger deal than a '2D' title. Link's Awakening hit 6 million sold on Switch in a little over 2 years, for example. Ultimately, it's Old Zelda (though I am curious as to how TP in particular would perform as a standalone, given it was very popular originally).

Nintendo did also do a 2D Mario port five months before they launched Super Mario Maker 2. Let's say that TP/WW come in early October as a double pack, and new Zelda is May or June; that's a Christmas sales season and 7 to 8 months distance.

My assumption is there's going to be a 5 month gap, minimum, and that Nintendo are confident other Zelda games are on track for post 2023.
It's not that 3D games are more popular, it's that they're the same genre as each other. BOTW 2 is a 3D Zelda, so stuffing in 2 additional 3D Zelda's half a year before it launches can lead to genre/franchise fatigue. They've historically been pretty careful not to do stuff like that.

Nintendo Direct still trending WW on Twitter... Nintendo's power as the market leader is unmatched
The June Mini Partner Showcase was the #1 trending video on YouTube for over 24 hours straight. Nintendo Directs are so powerful.

The simple point to make with Zelda is that we don't have the full context for Nintendo's decision. The ports arriving soon could (and would) happen because of reasoning we're not privy to.
It's not that 3D games are more popular, it's that they're the same genre as each other. BOTW 2 is a 3D Zelda, so stuffing in 2 additional 3D Zelda's half a year before it launches can lead to genre/franchise fatigue. They've historically been pretty careful not to do stuff like that.
I think the older style Zeldas are different enough from Breath of the Wild for fatigue not to be an issue. They're linear action-adventures; new Zelda will be non-linear open world, and we've seen how much more popular that version of the franchise is than the old format.

If Jeff Grubb weren't insistent that we'd be hearing about both, I would have expected just one remaster - either WW or TP - before BotW2.

The idea of a double pack that isn't an anniversary celebration is surprising to me, especially for two meaty 3D Zeldas.

I find it plausible because at their core, these are near 15-20 year old GameCube games. They just happen to have their Wii U remasters done already.

But you know what - it's kind of cool synergy to release a bundle of two games featuring the original Ganondorf, as cross-promotion with an upcoming game featuring - who else - Ganondorf. Hmmmmmm

The June Mini Partner Showcase was the #1 trending video on YouTube for over 24 hours straight. Nintendo Directs are so powerful.
They really are. That's why everybody's making them now but no one has really reached that level of popularity.

Honestly, I see even less reason to ever doubt anything Nate, Emily, and/or Grubb says. Grubb feels very confident they’ll be there tomorrow, so imo that pretty much seals the deal. And I don’t think it’s worth the effort trying to understand why Nintendo does anything they do. Sometimes it makes sense, other times it just really doesn’t. Would anyone ever think they’d not only just randomly announce a brand new Paper Mario game on Twitter, but it would also be releasing a month later? They make their own rules and we’re all just along for the ride.
I don't believe either Nate or Emily mentioned that they expect it but I could be wrong. And for these particular games, they've been rumored pretty heavily to be at every direct since 2020 I believe. Part of me just thinks it's more of a constant expectation than it is knowledge it'll be released soon.

I'd love them to play with us and reveal TWWHD and/or TPHD and then move on, then coming back to Zelda later with BoTW2 (in the end), lmao. Anyway, we all know that from the moment we'll see any Zelda content, we'll get BoTW2 in the end.

First week of October is free and first week of November is free. Nintendo could easily put the Zelda port(s) on the first week of October and Metroid Prime in November. Personally think BOTW 2 is at least 8 months away. Plenty of time in between Zeldas.

50,390 seconds

pug-what.gif

I don't believe either Nate or Emily mentioned that they expect it but I could be wrong. And for these particular games, they've been rumored pretty heavily to be at every direct since 2020 I believe. Part of me just thinks it's more of a constant expectation than it is knowledge it'll be released soon.

They haven’t that I’m aware of, but Grubb did and that’s enough for me. Anything coming from all of them or just one of them pretty much confirms it for me personally. Never been given a reason to doubt any of them.

First week of October is free and first week of November is free. Nintendo could easily put the Zelda port(s) on the first week of October and Metroid Prime in November. Personally think BOTW 2 is at least 8 months away. Plenty of time in between Zeldas.
Right. Nintendo is no stranger to having two releases in a calendar month, especially during Q4. I wouldn’t at all expect Bayonetta 3 to be all they publish in October, or Pokémon to be all they publish in November. And, heck, they’ve released games in the first week of December before. So there’s potentially three “slots” for releases yet to be filled.

The simple point to make with Zelda is that we don't have the full context for Nintendo's decision. The ports arriving soon could (and would) happen because of reasoning we're not privy to.

I think the older style Zeldas are different enough from Breath of the Wild for fatigue not to be an issue. They're linear action-adventures; new Zelda will be non-linear open world, and we've seen how much more popular that version of the franchise is than the old format.
Yeah I can see that being true too. I'd still say one of these games is much closer in terms of genre than 2D game or spinoff though, which was ultimately what I was trying to get at.

Dreamcast Switch Online Initial Lineup:

Sonic Adventure
Chu Chu Rocket!
Space Channel 5
Jet Set Radio
Soulcalibur
Skies of Arcadia
Crazy Taxi
Rayman 2: The Great Escape
Samba de Amigo

If you don’t release TP/WW now, when do you? I think it’s very likely Grezzo is developing some sort of 2D Zelda, whether a remake or an original title and that should be ready by 2024. I just can’t see Nintendo holding these completed titles for another two years. And who knows what other spin-offs could be in the works.

To me, a TP/WW combo pack is a perfect holiday offering that fits in nicely with the rest of their lineup. That’s assuming BOTW 2 is shooting for a late spring release, which would give them more than enough time to breath. These games aren’t going to have long legs as we are talking of remasters from the previous console generation.

Credible rumors suggest we're gonna see Metroid Prime remastered and WW/TP ports.

I don't think Nintendo is in a position where they can show those games without also showing something from Metroid Prime 4 and BotW 2.

But having Metroid Prime 4 and BotW 2 in the same Direct feels unlikely.

If they are both there, they would obviously bookend the Direct, and of the 2, I feel like Prime remaster and Prime 4 are more likely to show up.

So if they open with Metroid, we're getting Zelda to close. If they open with anything else, we're getting Metroid to close and no Zelda.

Credible rumors suggest we're gonna see Metroid Prime remastered and WW/TP ports.

I don't think Nintendo is in a position where they can show those games without also showing something from Metroid Prime 4 and BotW 2.

But having Metroid Prime 4 and BotW 2 in the same Direct feels unlikely.

If they are both there, they would obviously bookend the Direct, and of the 2, I feel like Prime remaster and Prime 4 are more likely to show up.

So if they open with Metroid, we're getting Zelda to close. If they open with anything else, we're getting Metroid to close and no Zelda.
I don’t think we’re going to see Metroid Prime 4. This will be just like with Dread where they’ll say development is progressing and please take a look at this in the interim.

I feel differently about BOTW2 because we have actually seen trailers for it and it’s supposed to release in the next ~9 months. They can’t announce TP/WW ports and not provide a new look at BOTW2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please check out the most recent staff post on following community rules and guidelines before posting. Thanks!
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom