• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Nintendo Apologizes for Pokemon Scarlet + Violet Performance Issues, 1.1.0 Patch Coming 12/1

totofogo

thinkin bt pkmn 4
Pronouns
he/him 🏳️‍🌈

Woah. So glad they are facing this so head on. Didn’t expect them to speak or act this quick. Go Ninty.

Ver. 1.1.0 (Releasing December 1, 2022)​

• Season 1 of Ranked Battles will kick off, allowing you to enjoy Ranked Battles through the Battle Stadium.
    • Please check the in-game notice for more details about Ranked Battles Season 1.
  • An issue has been fixed that caused the music to not play correctly during the battles with the Elite Four and the Top Champion in the Victory Road path.
  • Other select bug fixes have been made.
We are aware that players may encounter issues that affect the games' performance. Our goal is always to give players a positive experience with our games, and we apologize for the inconvenience. We take the feedback from players seriously and are working on improvements to the games.

Important: Approximately 1GB of memory must be available on your Nintendo Switch system’s memory or on your microSD card to download the update data for version 1.0.1

Last edited:
Literally read it out loud to my partner when I got the notification lol

Big respect for that tweet. Never would have expected that.
Once we saw the game, I had a feeling this would be a tipping point for Nintendo getting “involved”. Even if this is PR and they could have / should have done it earlier… I’m glad it’s happening.

Last edited:
Part of me wishes I had waited, the other part is glad to have been a part of this wild ride.

Just noticed this -
Important: Approximately 1GB of memory must be available on your Nintendo Switch system’s memory or on your microSD card to download the update data for version 1.0.1

EDIT: oops, that’s the previous update

Last edited:
Didn’t think they’d actually mention the performance outright but I’m glad they’re looking into it. Also glad they’re fixing the E4 and champion music bug because people I talked to got the improper loop. Thankfully I reset after fighting the first E4 member and got the full song, which is a certified banger.

I really hope almost all of this game’s technical issues are fixed because I love this game and all most people talk about is the bugs and poor performance.

Have they ever put out a tweet like this before? GameFreak probably got some mean words from Nintendo lol.
Yeah it sounds like Nintendo was not at all happy about the reception these games got, given their relatively poor critic scores and abundance of glitch videos spread across Twitter and YouTube.

Maybe this will finally push Nintendo to require TPC to give the mainline games more time to cook, though I kinda doubt it.

Hm so seems like this particular patch is probably just the Elite 4 music bug fix and some other select ones (if I had to guess probably the duplication glitch and the random seed being fixed in multiplayer glitch) . But it's good to see them taking notice and hopefully the game gets to a good state soon! I don't regret getting the game early since the issues don't bother me too much and the game's amazing, but it should hopefully help everyone who's struggling with it right now

I also don't think we'll have to worry about future Pokemon titles being in a similar state now that Nintendo have actively acknowledged it for this game. Probably not an experience they want to repeat

Monkey’s Paw: Nintendo is intervening to fix SV’s issues

… by reallocating TotK’s dev team to the project, delaying its launch when the team was in the final stages of bug squashing

EDIT: /s since I am OP lol

Holy shit coming right out with it. I hope it fixes enough.

Literally read it out loud to my partner when I got the notification lol

Big respect for that tweet. Never would have expected that.
Seriously. This is very out of character. They must’ve known for a while the game was broken.

Hm so seems like this particular patch is probably just the Elite 4 music bug fix and some other select ones (if I had to guess probably the duplication glitch and the random seed being fixed in multiplayer glitch) . But it's good to see them taking notice and hopefully the game gets to a good state soon! I don't regret getting the game early since the issues don't bother me too much and the game's amazing, but it should hopefully help everyone who's struggling with it right now

I also don't think we'll have to worry about future Pokemon titles being in a similar state now that Nintendo have actively acknowledged it for this game. Probably not an experience they want to repeat
I wonder what they’d do to give the team more time… separate Legends and an outsourced remake into separate release years? Two years of DLC? Return to having a break year between gens?

I wonder what they’d do to give the team more time… separate Legends and an outsourced remake into separate release years? Two years of DLC? Return to having a break year between gens?
I mean honestly while more time is a solution and probably the best one it's not necessarily the only solution. And unless they find a good (read: lucrative) gap filler they probably won't go for it

I think the games would've naturally improved once they got a hang of the open world anyways, and more technically minded hires might also bridge the gap in some ways. And there's also the darker timeline where they simply decide to cut back on other elements to prioritize performance, but hoping they don't decide on that.

I mean honestly while more time is a solution and probably the best one it's not necessarily the only solution. And unless they find a good (read: lucrative) gap filler they probably won't go for it

I think the games would've naturally improved once they got a hang of the open world anyways, and more technically minded hires might also bridge the gap in some ways. And there's also the darker timeline where they simply decide to cut back on other elements to prioritize performance, but hoping they don't decide on that.
If ILCA is allowed to make another mid quality unbalanced remake and SV is instead what causes a reverse course I will simply perish

This is Miyamoto. After consulting with Satoshi-san, my partner at Game Freak on the Pokémon games, we decided to fix the game. My deepest apologies for your suffering thus far but I promise it will be well worth the wait.

Do you think they would tweet this without talking with GameFreak before?
Do you think that the conversation was in any way dramatic? GF is already in bug-fixing mode and are aware of the performance issues. If anything, they just both acknowledged they had received enough performance complaints to call the issue out since they won't be fixed in the first patch.

There's nothing dramatic going on. Nintendo isn't screaming ultimatums about some immoral wronging of the Pokémon fanbase. This is just normal software development.

Oh thank god they actually said something. Now the Doomers can chill.
Nah they've already moved on to patch notes dooming. Or "this patch will never come or be really late and won't fix things" dooming

Granted I am also fairly skeptical of the patch doing all that much but I'm willing to be surprised there. Also it probably won't come out until I'm done with the game but hey should help with DLC at least

Japanese Pokémon account also acknowledged the issues:

Awaiting a response from the western account.

Do you think that the conversation was in any way dramatic? GF is already in bug-fixing mode and are aware of the performance issues. If anything, they just both acknowledged they had received enough performance complaints to call the issue out since they won't be fixed in the first patch.

There's nothing dramatic going on. Nintendo isn't screaming ultimatums about some immoral wronging of the Pokémon fanbase. This is just normal software development.
Normal software development doesn’t create a product like scarlet and violet, game freak be writing some spaghetti code for sure

(but I get your point)

Good to see them addressing the issues and aiming to resolve them over time. I'll buy the game when it's in a much better state and when I don't have such a substantial backlog.

Nah they've already moved on to patch notes dooming. Or "this patch will never come or be really late and won't fix things" dooming

Granted I am also fairly skeptical of the patch doing all that much but I'm willing to be surprised there. Also it probably won't come out until I'm done with the game but hey should help with DLC at least
Healthy skepticism is not "doomerism." We really need to stop giving these companies the benefit of the doubt. Let's wait and see what it actually is.

I would rather wait and see these "fixes" before praising them. PR posts are brainless easy to write.
Praising the acknowledgment =/= assuming the fix(es) is/are going to be substantial

I’m just glad for what this acknowledgement hopefully means for future titles

Healthy skepticism is not "doomerism." We really need to stop giving these companies the benefit of the doubt. Let's wait and see what it actually is.
Nintendo and Game Freak were ALWAYS going to work on performance. It's basic logic that can be applied anywhere else in the industry. If it was anyone else everyone would be talking about patches, but when it came to this game some people genuinely thought it would get nothing. It's absolutely doomerism.

Normal software development doesn’t create a product like scarlet and violet, game freak be writing some spaghetti code for sure

(but I get your point)
...????

I don't know how to properly respond to a comment so immensely daft with the wording it deserves without getting banned for hostility, but I'll try.

You have no clue what you're talking about in saying normal software dev doesn't create a game like SV. I can't say anything regarding how clean or messy the code base is, but like...do you really, honestly think SV is so technically incompetent to really go toe to toe with actual technical disasters of the game dev world? Are you really so sheltered and ignorant that SV counts as incompetent game dev?

Get some perspective.

Sorry to cross post but this thread seems more lively at the moment. What time do we expect the patch to go live? 6pm pt?

Nintendo and Game Freak were ALWAYS going to work on performance. It's basic logic that can be applied anywhere else in the industry. If it was anyone else everyone would be talking about patches, but when it came to this game some people genuinely thought it would get nothing. It's absolutely doomerism.
Even then this game would have gotten patches due to some game breaking bugs & exploits so the doomerism was hilarious to read

But we don't actually know the full contents of this patch or what future patches will look like. It's premature to declare anything definitive on it.

Praising the acknowledgment =/= assuming the fix(es) is/are going to be substantial

I’m just glad for what this acknowledgement hopefully means for future titles
I'm glad you can get peppy about this, but I've been familiar with Gamefreak for decades, I can confidently say that this aknowledgement means nothing for future titles, they have reacted to controversy before with a public letters on the very last generation and then they... did absolutely nothing other than aknowledge it.
As far as I'm concerned, this patch is only happening because "the music refuses to play properly" is a bug too embarrasing even for them.

...????

I don't know how to properly respond to a comment so immensely daft with the wording it deserves without getting banned for hostility, but I'll try.

You have no clue what you're talking about in saying normal software dev doesn't create a game like SV. I can't say anything regarding how clean or messy the code base is, but like...do you really, honestly think SV is so technically incompetent to really go toe to toe with actual technical disasters of the game dev world? Are you really so sheltered and ignorant that SV counts as incompetent game dev?

Get some perspective.
…wha? You are being plain and needlessly rude.

I did not say anything about it being a complete technical disaster or called Game Freak incompetent. I said some spaghetti code, tongue in cheek. Some parts of the game needed more time in the oven, some are oddly misdirected from a technical standpoint. It’s a mixed bag.

EDIT: adjusted wording as I misread your post

Last edited:
...????

Get some perspective.
With all due respect, how on earth can you look at this game and say it's NOT a technical disaster? Are we looking at different games here? This is by far the most buggy, technically rushed game I've seen since Cyberpunk. Nearly every facet of the game is messy in some way. The frame rate is the worst I've seen in any modern video game. Come on now.

I'm glad you can get peppy about this, but I've been familiar with Gamefreak for decades, I can confidently say that this aknowledgement means nothing for future titles, they have reacted to controversy before with a public letters on the very last generation and then they... did absolutely nothing other than aknowledge it.
Fair point, I don’t know a lot of their history in that respect since I was much more casually involved with the series / industry at large.

As far as I'm concerned, this patch is only happening because "the music refuses to play properly" is a bug too embarrasing even for them.
never forget the repeated loop of what people thought was the actual E4 theme 😂

Good to see they’re responding quickly. From what I saw in the Digital Foundry report it certainly feels like the issues are patchable, there’s just a lot of them to whack. Probably the biggest high-profile face plant at launch I’ve seen a Japanese publisher do since Final Fantasy XIV.

Oh to be a fly on the wall when Nintendo and GameFreak had discussions about this.
As someone on the outside looking in, if the issues were as egregious as they seem they very likely knew the state of the game they shipped (QA would’ve had reams of reports by then) and they opted to have the game out to stores for holiday sales and have been working on fixes since then. It’s a calculated risk and given how good the sales were it paid off to a degree. It’s now that teams duty to make good on improving the situation and earning back goodwill from the community while also working on the inevitable DLC.

With all due respect, how on earth can you look at this game and say it's NOT a technical disaster? Are we looking at different games here? This is by far the most buggy, technically rushed game I've seen since Cyberpunk. Nearly every facet of the game is messy in some way. The frame rate is the worst I've seen in any modern video game. Come on now.
Right lol? There’s like… fundamental issues at play here. Anyone with a technical background can see it plain as day. Hence the hesitation some folks have towards what a patch can truly do to rectify the issues.

Cyberpunk crashed after the opening cutscene for many people, and was so busted on PS4 Sony pulled it from PSN.

Cyberpunk was so unbelievably, comically, utterly broken in every respect that it took literal months of CDPR producing patches large and small before it was in a state that wasn't utterly broken, and that Sony would let back on PSN. Even then no one should ever play it on a base model PS4 because the game cannot run on that hardware without severe compromises.

"Worst game since Cyberpunk" is a level of hyperbole that is asinine. Cyberpunk, especially the launch version, is an actual technical disaster of a game. SV doesn't exist in the same galaxy in terms of glitchiness.

Just holy shit, what nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom