• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

News Nintendo Apologizes for Pokemon Scarlet + Violet Performance Issues, 1.1.0 Patch Coming 12/1

I know folks mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I think it is worth reiterating.

The update dropping today will most likely have no performance updates, otherwise they would have called that out specifically.

I know folks mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I think it is worth reiterating.

The update dropping today will most likely have no performance updates, otherwise they would have called that out specifically.
apparently the E4 music glitch is caused by the memory leak, so maybe there’s still hope?

I don't think we have super solid info on when it started, but there's clearly something going on there.
Masuda said that the game spent 1.5-2 years in dev. For reference, GF games have 1 year in the concept phase and two years in active production. With this timing, BDSP started production at the same time lockdowns started, which... yeah. Source:

EDIT: edited main post to align with source more

What does that have to do with me forgetting that Arceus released this year?
I think Dardan is making a light hearted joke that Game Freak also forgot about Arceus, and I mean...I certainly don't recall Arceus getting much love after March or so lol

Yeah I’m expecting big doom on Twitter from folks uneducated about development lol

I wanted to try the duplicate item trick, but my progress is no-where close enough to unlocking 6* Raids for the Ability Patch.

I guess I'll be leaving my Switch in Airplane Mode until it's confirmed what the bug fixes include.

BDSP wasn't developed by Game Freak, so does it really matter?
BDSP is an interesting case tho.... ILCA is also developing One Piece Odyssey which looks VERY promising. So what exactly happened that BDSP looked so bad? Just the schedule?

BDSP are seemingly the result of trying to get a small, inexperienced studio to make a game on a Game Freak schedule, or potentially even worse. The specifics are a bit different, but some of the root causes are similar.

I mean, they ARE able to stem a game like One Piece Odyssey... doesn't seem that inexperienced at all.

BDSP is an interesting case tho.... ILCA is also developing One Piece Odyssey which looks VERY promising. So what exactly happened that BDSP looked so bad? Just the schedule?

I mean, they ARE able to stem a game like One Piece Odyssey... doesn't seem that inexperienced at all.
Damn wasn’t BDSP their first “real” project/game outside of support roles? They went from that right to OP Odyssey?! Had no idea they were behind that… that’s encouraging for having them on board for future remakes…

Gameplay for folks who haven’t seen.. pretty linear limited scope like DQ 11. This style could work really well for remakes of BW and the 3DS games!

It's not like the execs have had any reason to change tact though. Over the switch generation, they've made what should have been fairly big concessions of taking away features the series had been supporting practically since inception, like the loss of being able to use all your Pokémon in any given game, interoperability between games of the same generation, and lets be frank, probably the weakest map and single player campaign the series ever had with Swsh, an out sourced remake which ended up needing several patches ,and a bunch of other problems, because of how under resourced they are, but despite obvious problems with the games, they've been rewarded with record breaking sales pretty much every step of the way.

The execs won't really care until it actively decreases game sales, and this is probably lip service unless sales actually drop off a cliff, unlikely, they won't actively change anything.

I'm sure development on the games will continue, but that was already going to be the case because of almost inevitable DLC for next year.

It's OK to expect more from products instead of just looking at how much money it makes, imagine if everything was so half arsed just because it already makes money.

Someone on Era is saying the slowdown is gone.

I don’t believe them but I can’t test it myself right now.

Just tested and can confirm it's much smoother now. You can rotate the camera without stuttering now, and walking around the fields also feels like it's locked 30 fps most of the time with minor quick drops. In cities it fluctuates more but it's much better than before. I would say the performance is similar, maybe a bit worse than Arceus now.

Might be wishful thinking but I think maaaaaybe battles are a bit faster too. The lag between textboxes seems to have been due to performance, so I think it was reduced a bit.

I wish I hadn't played 35h already, but at least I'm taking things slow and still have only 3 gym badges. Judging by the wording on that tweet, they will keep working on the performance so who knows, the game might be locked 30 fps at some point.

Just tested and can confirm it's much smoother now. You can rotate the camera without stuttering now, and walking around the fields also feels like it's locked 30 fps most of the time with minor quick drops. In cities it fluctuates more but it's much better than before. I would say the performance is similar, maybe a bit worse than Arceus now.

Might be wishful thinking but I think maaaaaybe battles are a bit faster too. The lag between textboxes seems to have been due to performance, so I think it was reduced a bit.

I wish I hadn't played 35h already, but at least I'm taking things slow and still have only 3 gym badges. Judging by the wording on that tweet, they will keep working on the performance so who knows, the game might be locked 30 fps at some point.
I did notice a bit of slowdown when approaching a town, but it levels out once you actually reach it

Slideshow people and flags still exist. So do the glitches, including the one where you see the underneath of the floor polygon and pokémon stuck on walls.

That means Game Freak will get more time to develop their games in the future, right?

Just kidding. I am generally optimistic, but not that much.

At least on portable feels mostly the same

The place with worst performance I remember is Casseroya Lake on the northwest of the map. I thought it was fine for like a few secs then it became slow-mo again. It seems related to when there's effects on the screen though 🤔 it's not all the time

Slideshow people and flags still exist. So do the glitches, including the one where you see the underneath of the floor polygon and pokémon stuck on walls.
the time slicing will not be removed as that's a deliberate performance saver. at best it'll be pushed further back

the time slicing will not be removed as that's a deliberate performance saver. at best it'll be pushed further back
Is that what the slideshow objects are called? Well, they did not push it further back, it also got somewhat impoved. Flags get broken at a further distance now.

Is that what the slideshow objects are called? Well, they did not push it further back, it also got somewhat impoved. Flags get broken at a further distance now.
that's good then. I haven't been to an area with flags. the people are still reduced at a close distance from what I saw so it might be optimized in another patch

The real Switch Pro was the updates we installed along the way

I'm not gonna hold my breath, but are shinies more noticeable now with an audio and visual cue before you get into battle with them?

A really quick check looks like there's very little actually improved and it's possible they made the dynamic resolution even more aggressive in order to claw at any frame rate improvements. They also didn't fix stuff like people blinking in and out of existence like you'd get in the library or in town, the lighting flickering as you might see coming down the stairs from the school in the windows of houses, being able to see through the ground or being able to go out of bounds very easily. This was almost entirely patching the duping exploits and such.

There's absolutely no way I'd call this "way smoother." You don't need to exaggerate things. It took me 5 seconds to warp to the lake, jump into the air and get mid teens frame rate while stuff just flashes out of existence in the background.

The person on era who made that thread saying it's "80-90% improved" is just straight up making stuff up. Absolutely not to be trusted in the slightest.

A really quick check looks like there's very little actually improved and it's possible they made the dynamic resolution even more aggressive in order to claw at any frame rate improvements. They also didn't fix stuff like people blinking in and out of existence like you'd get in the library or in town, the lighting flickering as you might see coming down the stairs from the school in the windows of houses, being able to see through the ground or being able to go out of bounds very easily. This was almost entirely patching the duping exploits and such.

There's absolutely no way I'd call this "way smoother." You don't need to exaggerate things. It took me 5 seconds to warp to the lake, jump into the air and get mid teens frame rate while stuff just flashes out of existence in the background.

The person on era who made that thread saying it's "80-90% improved" is just straight up making stuff up. Absolutely not to be trusted in the slightest.
Or, you know, maybe don't accuse other people of lying because you're mad at a video game

Several people have noted improvements and GameExplain even put out a short video comparison of some areas. Maybe there's a placebo or other factors at play, sure (the performance in this game can vary based on a lot of factors even pre-patch) but let's not go slinging mud over this

first takes:

definitely a lot smoother

grass texture seems slightly lower res, probably to trade off for a more stable framerate

feels like a lot fewer hangs between actions — some of which I’m now realizing were intentional animations, though when there were more hangs they just felt like… additional hangs

will update later but so far this is smoother by quite a bit!

people mad about this on the whole are unlikely to be satisfied by this update but eh, not my fight, I had a great time with it before this and I’ll probably have an even better time with it after

Giving this a go before bed! Anyone know the download size?

If you were truly expecting fixes for those kinds of issues this quickly, your expectations were way too high. Give it time.

Or, you know, maybe don't accuse other people of lying because you're mad at a video game

Several people have noted improvements and GameExplain even put out a short video comparison of some areas. Maybe there's a placebo or other factors at play, sure (the performance in this game can vary based on a lot of factors even pre-patch) but let's not go slinging mud over this
I don’t know how anyone can look at the GameXplain video and try to argue it’s a placebo. There is a pretty large improvement in those areas and personally speaking, I’m seeing it in my game too.

On that note the menus are running a lot better. Heck, the minimap is scrolling smoother now.

I've been a little annoyed at myself for buying the game at launch despite still being hooked on Splatoon just so I could play it while it was in the current conversation - only to predictably not pull myself away from Splatoon at all. But it sounds like I'll get a better experience now, so that's nice.

The person on era is noted for running interference for the game since launch and dismissing every concern immediately, making an entire thread proclaiming everything's better while having done zero work to prove it. They aren't operating with good faith and there isn't any reason to sugarcoat that. Like where does this "mad" thing even come in? Or, you know, maybe don't accuse people of being "mad" at a video game because you don't like that I expect accurate and truthful testing beyond "this guy said it's good now."

Going to echo others here, if you were fine with performance before this is a great improvement. The camera turns much more smoothly, a lot of the lag in actions is gone (menu-ing, map screen use, Pokemon Centers, Pokemon battles etc.), and certain effects look better with less lag. The towns are generally better too, less lag, less egregious reduced animations (the sad windmill in Artazon feels less sad). I don’t feel the game is going to crash as I walk down the main street in Mesagoza anymore.

If you were unhappy with performance, I don’t think this will change your mind. Towns are still rougher than you’ll want and accelerating on your motorcycle and/or jumping causes notable strain even though it is reduced.

I was generally fine with performance beforehand, I’ve played way worse, so consider me happy. Hope it gets better from here if they are indeed serious about it.

The person on era is noted for running interference for the game since launch and dismissing every concern immediately, making an entire thread proclaiming everything's better while having done zero work to prove it. They aren't operating with good faith and there isn't any reason to sugarcoat that. Like where does this "mad" thing even come in? Or, you know, maybe don't accuse people of being "mad" at a video game because you don't like that I expect accurate and truthful testing beyond "this guy said it's good now."
Why do you care so much about what someone on another forum is saying?

That some are exaggerating the extent to which the game has improved does not negate the fact that the patches have improved the experience quite a bit so.

Back
Top Bottom