• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Nintendo Apologizes for Pokemon Scarlet + Violet Performance Issues, 1.1.0 Patch Coming 12/1

Slideshow people and flags still exist. So do the glitches, including the one where you see the underneath of the floor polygon and pokémon stuck on walls.
Many games do limit the framerate of distant objects, it's not a bug, just very apparent.
Kirby and the Forgotten Land also has it very visible.
And yeah I didn't expect them to fix the camera clipping, quickest fix would be to limit the turn radius so it happens less.

The performance issues are definitely still there, but the patch does seem to have taken the edge off them a bit. There's still quite a bit of room for improvement, but drastic improvements this soon we're always unlikely.

It's far from perfect and I wouldn't even say that it's close to good yet but I'm genuinely surprised that it's ever so slightly improved (looks like I was wrong @Brofield !). I still noticed some aggressive slowdown in some areas with heavy foliage and frequent stutters but the improvements to the camera are very noticeable and appreciated. A few more of these patches and the game should eventually be in a state it should have released in. I wonder how much is even possible though so I'm not expecting too much.

Huh, okay, good to see i wasn't the only one who thought "does it actuall run a little bit better?" yesterday evening after the patch went live.

Didn't expect that to be honest, i thought they would focus on the bugs, glitches and errors first as these are usually "easier" to fix as they're find cause -> fix cause things most of the times.

This is a pleasant surprise, probably going to get the game now a bit before Christmas and play it in the holidays. Maybe by that time there is another patch out

Getting this for Christmas so glad this first patch is out and hopefully there will be a 2nd before then!

There's absolutely no way I'd call this "way smoother." You don't need to exaggerate things. It took me 5 seconds to warp to the lake, jump into the air and get mid teens frame rate while stuff just flashes out of existence in the background.

I mean, I haven't tested that area because I haven't reached that point in the game yet, but there is a video from GameXplain showing that, yes, that area is running way smoother.

It's fine if the improvements aren't enough for you personally, but if you take a step back you will realize that the reverse is also true, it might be a great increment for other people.

I must say I'm getting some very conflicting reports on these performance improvements ahah.

People saying that they're definitely there, other tweeting how there's no change to the executables of the games (which I'm assuming means no perf. improvements?). Hopefully we get a clearer picture in the coming days.

That said, knowing that the E4 music has been fixed is great for me as I'm just about to tackle the league (after holding off yesterday knowing that the patch was coming).

Endgame here I come. Excited to see what this supposedly awesome 4th act is all about; Arven's final chapter kinda builds up to it nicely too.

Framerate feels more solid overall, at the expense of resolution in some particularly taxing areas, nothing fancy, but it's welcome.

Barely more than a bandaid, though.

I wouldnt expect to have everything fixed in a single patch, neither in this one or the next, the game has a lot of issues and y'all know how this works, some times fixing an issue creates another one somewhere else. My guess is that they're going to go slowly and carefully with this game.

The framerate in this game is so inconsistent you could go to the same area on separate occasions and the performance will vary wildly, so I don't know if I can trust these early positive impressions.

I consistently had slowdown in the big lake though, so thats probably gonna be the first Area I'll check next to Mesalona City.

But first I'll have to come home from work.

The framerate in this game is so inconsistent you could go to the same area on separate occasions and the performance will vary wildly, so I don't know if I can trust these early positive impressions.

I consistently had slowdown in the big lake though, so thats probably gonna be the first Area I'll check next to Mesalona City.

Maybe it was related to the memory leak?

If they fixed that I can see how that improves performance across the board. IIRC nobody really knows what triggers the memory leak. Going to the bigger cities seemed to have started the memory leak or at the very least made it worse, faster.

As Alex shows in the video, whatever improvements people (including myself) are feeling in this update, they might not necessarily relate to performance in the strictest sense. I think what's probably happening is that some things are a bit more responsive, like the UI, camera etc. which is giving it a smoother feeling overall.

As Alex shows in the video, whatever improvements people (including myself) are feeling in this update, they might not necessarily relate to performance in the strictest sense. I think what's probably happening is that some things are a bit more responsive, like the UI, camera etc. which is giving it a smoother feeling overall.

With there just being a 1 fps difference, I still feel like the improvement people are noticing is the general improvement you get when you restart the game. I was never too bothered with the framerate, and even I didn’t notice much of a difference. Glad some people are having a smoother experience, but in 2 hours of play I expect it to return back to how it usually ran.

But that’s fine, Nintendo never said this patch specifically would improve frame rate. I think we’ll see some noticeable improvement in a different patch.

My little brother still refuses to update because he wants to do the duplication glitch, I'm assuming that's been fixed in this patch .-.

I might put off finishing this game til Drake. Not because I'm not having fun, but because he's hogging the Switch lmao

Nobody claimed that the performance of Mesagoza and Levincia improved anyway. In fact, many people were disappointed that they're still the same, me included.

Biggest improvement was at Casseroya Lake, where going in water resulted in slideshow like slowdown, which seems to be gone. The whole region is much smoother experience. But, as of now, it's just one region that was improved. They might fix the game one region at a time.

I expected nothing beyond what they said in the patch notes, I'm surprised there's even a slight improvement

I don't think too many people were arguing that the game is suddenly running at a locked 30 fps and that it's way better. Most of the improvements people are pointing out are likely related to just things feeling smoother and more stable in terms of game feel and control. They fixed a few camera issues, the UI and menu is little more responsive, they seem to have ironed out bugs with water effects (which explains why the Lake runs better). All of those things added together are going to make the game "feel" better. And it they fixed the memory leak you're going to see way less of the extreme performance issues that cropped up after playing for a while.

memory leak
Many people reported that if you close and reopen the game, the framerate improves, but I have not tried it myself.

People are suprised that we already have performance improvements?
They knew in what form they shipped the game. They had probably many performance improvements (and bugfixes) in the pipeline before the game was out. And its not like the bugfixing people and the performance people are the same. this game has many areas where it needs work, so having people work in paralel on performance and bugfixes sounds reasonable? like if asset streaming can be improved to reduce chugging and microstuters while the rendering engine has bugs where stuff is not rendered correctly and gameplay bugs make it easy to duplikate stuff or scale up backwards jumping... those are 3 teams, that are not all working on the same problems.

Sometimes i wonder if people think that developers never run their games to see if their code works...
they did, and obviously have seen all the same problems, since they are not obscure and hard to reproduce. They just did not had the time to fix them before release, so the patch that we got now was obviously in work for longer.

Honestly that video is based on pretty faulty testing. Some of the straightaway comparisons are fine to use but going around in a circle when the camera is pointed in different directions each time is basically useless. Also why he didn’t measure framerate and instead based it on time (even if the two are linked) is very confusing since it’s unclear if he started and ended timing at the exact same point. If he was pointed at a slightly different angle at any point in the process the timing will be off. The whole thing honestly feels like a grasp at playing in Digital Foundry’s sandbox.

And, from what I understand, it’s entirely possible for specific areas to receive performance enhancements. Maybe some rendering calculation involving water was executing too often so fixing it naturally improved performance in the lake area. Maybe the pathfinding for swimming Pokemon was hogging resources. It could honestly be a million little things.

Smaller outlets seeing the success of Digital Foundry and then trying to emulate it just makes the discussion around game’s technology so muddy.

Last edited:
Honestly that video is based on pretty faulty testing. Some of the straightaway comparisons are fine to use but going around in a circle when the camera is pointed in different directions each time is basically useless. Also why he didn’t measure framerate and instead based it on time (even if the two are linked) is very confusing since it’s unclear if he started and ended timing at the exact same point. If he was pointed at a slightly different angle at any point in the process the timing will be off. The whole thing honestly feels like a grasp at playing in Digital Foundry’s sandbox.

And, from what I understand, it’s entirely possible for specific areas to receive performance enhancements. Maybe some rendering calculation involving water was executing too often so fixing it naturally improved performance in the lake area. Maybe the pathfinding for swimming Pokemon was hogging resources. It could honestly be a million little things.

Smaller outlets seeing the success of Digital Foundry and then trying to emulate it just makes the discussion around game’s technology so muddy.
100% flawed testing.

And honestly i feel like alexes bias against these games (to a good degree valid) did lead him to making this video even if it was not needed.

Its less smaller outlets playing DF (and i would not call NL a small outlet) and more his wish to make the video. Maybe its to counter some of the "performance improved, everything is fine now!" folks. (They exist, but are a small group)since he thinks we should demand better?

Oh and even in his footage the patch seems slightly smoother.i asume a tad better frame pacing. The stutters and uneven frames are abigger problem then the framerate itself. nier was 30fps and felt like 60 compared to this game.

Last edited:
I mean, I can just play the game and see the game is running much better. It doesn't matter what's happening exactly, the result is that the game feels much smoother.

Back
Top Bottom