• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo 2023 Predictions

Nothing super wild but here’s my list:

-Switch Pro (half gen revision) in April
-Zelda will have special Pro hardware similar to Pokémon S/V and Splat 3
-New Mario announced around movie release
-Metroid Prime HD in first Direct
-NSO console additions in first Direct
-Mario Baseball is the Mario sports game everyone whines about this year (despite good gameplay)

We know thanks to leaks that Drake will be significantly more powerful than og Switch. These are straight up facts (Linux kernel, the hack in March) and you can argue the jump from Switch to Drake is greater than the PS4 to 5.

I think we are due for a Switch revision. With DLSS or 4K or something like that. I'm wondering if originally, it was slated for release this year, but chip shortages and stuff caused the plans to change, so the release was "divided", so we got SwOLED last year, and next year will have the DLSS Switch.

Mario game, 2D or 3D, to release coinciding with the movie. Twitter drop announcement in January.

Tears of the Kingdom will sell gangbusters but not break the S&V record, and will hit above 95 on MC.

And finally, September or June direct will have a Metroid Prime 4 teaser for 2024.

Here is what i would like to see

February: new hardware is revealed in a direct to launch alongside zelda in may.

March: a switch 2 specific direct where pikmin 4 is revealed to be launching on the system later in the year. Along side a new 3d mario title

April: the mario movie comes out, its a pleasant surprise and is lauded as a totally fine, even somewhat enjoyable children's movie.

May: switch 2 launches with zelda. The other key title at launch (cross gen) is the metroid prime remake. Many of the more popular switch games also receive updates to take advantage of the new hardware, including smash ultimate, pokemon scarlet/violet, Breath of the wild, and mario odyssey. Third party launch/launch window games include assassins creed mirage, hogwarts legacy, the callisto protocol, need for speed unbound, and diablo 4

June: its here at e3 that nintendo begins to detail what late 2023 and early 2024 will look like. This begins with our first look at the re-revealed metroid prime 4. Other titles teased for 2024 include a new tomodachi life, mario kart 9, a brand new 3d isometric yoshi game, and a remake of donkey kong 64 led by playtonic.

September: metroid prime 4 releases as a cross generational title on switch and switch 2. While the switch 2 version gets most of the attention, its noted that the original switch version is an impressive feat in its own right

October: Pikmin 4 launches to major critical acclaim. It is another cross generational title.

November: super mario journey’s launches exclusively for the switch 2. It expands upon the open world idea’s presented in bowsers fury. The mushroom kingdom is fully open for you to explore, and levels dont load in a seperate instance, as they exist in the world itself. Methods of transport across the vast landscape include nessie, and mario’s go-kart. The game takes some inspiration from the film in terms of the look of toad town and peach’s castle, but mario’s proportions are much closer to those found in the games than the movie.

Thats all i have for now : )

Last edited:
Here is my list:

• Switch Pro/2 will have a 3D gimmick. Think Labo, but you know, not cardboard.
  • Metroid HD Remake is June and Metroid 4 is September.
  • Advanced Wars 1+2 Switch will be out in January after the direct
  • Tears of the Kingdom DLC is 2024. October 2023 is Grizzo GBA Zelda remakes. I feel it.
  • Pikmim 4 is July. A nice little Summer game.
  • I don't think we see a DK game this year.
  • 2D Mario Game releases with the movie. Has a Mario Maker add-on for sharing + creating levels.
  • 3D Mario launches in November and is the big holiday push game (+ Pokemon DLC).
  • Splatoon story DLC is Summer 2023
  • More casual/party like titles from NIntendo (We haven't gotten a Switch Party. That would bundle great IMO).
  • 3rd party support will probably slow down before Switch 2 (Indies will still be going HAM).
  • Switch 2 will launch with Final Fantasy XIV Online.

• No new Switch hardware, but it is officially hinted at before the end of the year
  • Overall less releases than previous years to account for the shift to new hardware
  • NSO gets a Super Nintendo World tab in February, where you can earn specific icons when connecting your wristband as an Amiibo
  • Peacock streaming releases on Switch when the Mario Movie becomes available on it
  • The Mario Movie is the highest grossing video game movie of all time, but it falls short of 1 billion at the box office. I'm thinking somewhere around 850 million. Animated movies aren't doing so hot nowadays
  • Tears of the Kingdom destroys the competition in May and becomes the biggest launch week ever for Nintendo in North America
  • Hollow Knight Silksong shadowdrops at the February Direct and immediately crashes the e-shop
  • No June Direct for the second year in a row
  • DLC hard carries the year for Nintendo
  • A new 2D Mario game is the holiday game. It looks like the 3D World style from Mario Maker 2 and has a heavier emphasis on exploration and secrets
  • Advance Wars physical release gets canned, digital shadowdrops sometime during the year
  • Pokemon SV gets patched to a completely playable state before the DLC is announced
  • Mario Kart gets new character DLC in April
  • There's only one new Mario game
  • Kid Icarus Uprising rises from the grave and sells extremely well
  • Metroid Dread gets a surprise expansion
  • Nintendo introduces a new online multiplayer IP

The last few are definitely less likely but I like them enough to predict them.

• TOTK DLC announced with wave 1 coming in the fall
  • Splatoon DLC announced and released(by summer?)
  • Pokemon DLC connecting Kalos to Paldea
  • GB/GBC added to NSO
  • Pikmin 4 releases(September/October)
  • Advanced Wars 1+2 Switch gets reannounced with a quick turnaround for release
  • Pocket Card Jockey 2 shadow dropped after a direct
  • Metroid Prime Remaster announced and released
  • Really bad party game from Nintendo is released
  • ND Cube Animal Crossing spinoff game is announced
  • Pokemon Red and Blue launch with GB/GBC NSO
  • DK 3d game announced with a 2024 release
  • Mario Baseball is announced and released
  • Zelda remake announced
  • Super Mario RPG finally releases on NSO
  • Hogwarts Legacy canceled for Switch
  • Paper Mario TTYD Remaster announced

TotK 93 MC
Pikmin 4 90 MC

New 2D Mario in July
Prime 4 tease in September Direct
Xenoblade 3 DLC launches in October
Switch 2 teased in October

Last edited:
I've been waiting for a predictions thread. Here are some of mine:

• A fresh 2D Mario will finally be launched in June, allowing for timely advertisements before showings of the Super Mario Bros. Movie. If I had to guess their approach, I'm expecting a "2.5D" game with ample camera movement and paths at different depths.
  • I think we'll finally get a thoroughly reworked Everybody's 1-2 Switch sometime next year. EPD 4 is far too important to throw away a project, even if it takes a long time to make work.
  • Pikmin 4 will not only be launched in 2023, but it will be a huge success. The dandori behavior mechanics and new camera angle will make the game much more accessible and marketable, creating an effect similar to the series-expanding Monster Hunter World.
  • To me, the two big question marks remain Tomodachi and Rhythm Heaven. Tomodachi will likely come out of EPD 4 if it returns, but I suspect that will be further in the future based on the cramped EPD 4 production schedule. Rhythm Heaven, however, I expect to come out at the end of next year as a co-development project between EPD (4, most likely) and indieszero, recently tapped for Sushi Striker, Brain Training, and Big Brain Academy. With demonstrated proficiency with 2D graphics and rhythm games, I see this as a natural fit.
  • It probably won't come out next year, but for a while now we've heard that Nintendo has always been tinkering with Pikmin and Star Fox. Pikmin is accounted for, so I expect the next surprise announcement to be Star Fox. Furthermore, I think it actually makes a lot of sense as an EPD 9 project. While a team of artists and designers of indeterminable size has been supporting Tour and 8 Deluxe, I'm still holding out hope that there's been a smaller project in co-development. This one is a long-shot, but I would love to see the EPD team with arguably the strongest art proficiency take on the series.
  • 3D Mario and Donkey Kong are tricky. It feels like 2D Mario, 3D Mario, and Donkey Kong would be way too much for a single year from a marketing perspective, and more importantly the latter two are likely in co-development in Tokyo. I recently watched the Did You Know Gaming on Mario 128, which has given me the perspective that 3D Mario is likely now in a similar position of pursuing something totally new no matter how long it takes. As such, I suspect that a Tokyo-developed Donkey Kong will come in fall of 2023, while 3D Mario waits another year or more.
  • I wholeheartedly believe in the value of a Splatoon spinoff and I even further believe in the value of Style Savvy Splatoon. It integrates perfectly with the world of Splatoon while also serving an entirely different genre and therefore a new front for interfacing with said world.
  • Dōbutsu no Mori e+ was launched on June 27th, 2003, and deep in my heart I am hoping that Animal Crossing e++ is launched worldwide on June 23, 2023. This would mean sharing a month with 2D Mario, but Mario could come early anyway. Animal Crossing is obviously far bigger than ever before, and I believe that an enhanced remake of the first generation would be very compatible with New Horizons. I'd love such a game to take place between the first and second generations and include Blathers meeting Brewster and finishing his degree within gameplay. I believe one of the primary creative problems of the next game will be approaching the cast in a way that honors their development and keeps things fresh, so returning to an old game to solidify them to modern players would be very beneficial.

That's about all I have. I have no interest in trying to guess what will happen with hardware, so I've tried to sidestep the issue despite the bearing it has on software positioning. Tears of the Kingdom bores me but I'm sure it will come out on time and be renowned. Next year should also be very heavy with expansions, including ongoing support of Mario Kart and Splatoon. All that being said, will be a very interesting year regardless of what happens.
A recent development, along with a few things I've learned along the way, have impacted my predictions. As follows:

An Animal Crossing remake was always a stretch, but with hardware out of the question it's even more ridiculous. I suspect they're full steam ahead on the next Animal Crossing entry for 2025 or later.

With Splatoon 3 being left at the end of the Nintendo Switch lifespan, I suspect that a radical new take on the Splatoon series is being prepared for the next generation. 2025, being ten years after the launch of the first game, seems like an appropriate target.

indieszero is working on Theatrhythm! Whoops.

With no soft successor, the need for a brand new Mario Kart becomes too obvious for me to ignore. Late 2024, 2025, or maybe later. More importantly, I no longer have any hope for anything from EPD 9 in between.

I maintain that Pikmin 4 will be a critical and commercial sell, but it very well might suffer from performance-related docks to review scores across the board. I'm less bullish on it for sure, even if I maintain that the new camera angle was a great choice for the series's mainstream appeal.

I now suspect that Zelda is coming in May to space out what will be one of the twilight years of the system, as well as to benefit from brand synergy with the movie. I suspect 2D Mario will serve as a holiday tentpole.

I think 3D Mario will absolutely be saved for the launch of the next system, no matter how long that takes.

There will be ample space for Everybody's 1-2 Switch in the quiet time before the next system. I'll buy it day one.

I seem to have broken my formatting, so I've separated these out into paragraphs.

I guess I can just copy what I wrote in this thread, just rewrite it a little, maybe add a few more things...

H1:
  • Detective Pikachu II finally given a proper reveal in a January Pokemon Presents; releasing on incredibly short notice just like the original and Mystery Dungeon DX. Scarlet and Violet's paid DLC is also announced in the presentation, two main expansions again just like Sword and Shield.
  • Advance Wars will be dropped on short notice around the 1 year anniversary of the initial delay; at most one month ahead of release. Very low-key, minimal marketing, just to get it out there.
  • Pocket Card Jockey: Ride On! will show up in the next General Direct (mid February, before Kirby); published by Game Freak themselves in Japan and Nintendo internationally like the original 3DS title. Enjoyers of good video games will rejoice on that day.
  • Everybody's 1-2-Switch is revealed outside of a Direct, and much like Advance Wars will be released on short notice. In a shocking twist the game is not primarily developed by EPD Group 4, but by NDcube. Nothing else from them this year because of that.
  • This is the year themes are finally introduced on Switch... as another NSO platinum point reward. These will be permanantly avaialble unlike the icons though, with a growing selection over time. They come with music and unique sound effects that can be enabled / disabled.
  • Fresh Super Mario Bros. is revealed in the next General Direct, for release in June. It will feature a distinct visual style, movement mechanics inspired by Super Maio Run's parkour and the 3D World theme in Maker 2, multiple playable characters with different stats and new world / level themes not previously seen in 2D Mario (sweets world, mechanical world, etc).
H2:
  • Pikmin 4 is confirmed for a September launch in the June Direct. Many fear about the lack of a release date announcement in the February Direct, but it turns out fine regardless. Co-op and multiplayer locally and online will be a big focus of the late marketing for the game, spotlighted during the June Direct and following Treehouse segment.
  • Port central in the back half of the year; F-Zero GX and Metroid Prime for certain. Former will have all notable content unlocked from the start (no longer locked behind hard difficulty story mode missions) including AX racers and courses, and online play.
  • Style Savvy will finally show itself after so long. It won't get a ton of attention by media or the hardcore Nintendo crowd but it'll be another solid title for the series.
  • Splatoon 3's major DLC with be the Bunny Expansion, returning to one of the original pre-Inkling concepts for the playable cast of the series and tieing into the Mammalian focus of the main game's story. Genetically modified rabbits called Bunlings that can go into ink just like squids and octos.
  • A new Donkey Kong title is the major November release of the year. In spite of all the fears, the game features the return of the Kremlings and multiple playable and non-playable Kongs. To cash in on Smash popularity K. Rool will be a playable character too, teaming up with the Kongs for whatever contrived reason; maybe the other Kremlings are brainwashed or have a new leader or whatever.
  • It's time for a new Rhythm Heaven!! Co-developed by Nintendo EPD and indieszero, a major focus of this new installment will be making and sharing custom remixes, inspired by the YouTube trend. A custom music maker is included to facilitate this, but a few fan favourite Nintendo songs are also included to use.
Somewhere:
  • It's about time for Game Boy / Game Boy Advance NSO to show up. Pokemon Gen 1 will be included in the launch lineup of games as the star attraction, with Gen 2 and 3 confirmed out the gate to be releasing later. Four player online support for GBA will instead be pushed with titles like Mario Kart Super Circuit, Zelda Four Swords and Kirby and the Amazing Mirror.
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will eventually add new characters and battle maps in addition to race courses; also ported from Tour. The likes of Pauline, Birdo, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, Funky Kong, Petey Piranha, King Bob-omb, Kamek and Luma are included in the character lineup; and fan favourite battle courses like Block Fort and Funky Stadium will return.
  • Tears of the Kingdom will get a paid DLC expansion just like the original. This, the original BotW expansion pass and the Splatoon 3 expansion will be added to the NSO + Expansion Pack subscription, while the Fire Emblem, Pokemon and Xenoblade DLC will not.
  • Buddy Mission BOND will eventually recieve an English localisation. I and five other people total will buy it.
  • Square Enix put out a Bravely Collection (Bravely Default and Bravely Second) that may or may not be published by Nintendo outside of Japan. DQIII HD-2D Remake may also be published by Nintendo outside of Japan, who knows.
  • Arika and HAL are both cooking up new eShop titles; another 99 game for the former and something else for the latter. Maybe the next BoxBoy, maybe Part-Time UFO 2, maybe Picross 3D Round 3.
Nowhere:
  • New hardware and 3D Mario; those will be in 2024.

One thing I've noticed over the past two years is that Nintendo's output has felt very much like a checklist of sorts. A lot of their releases have been expected due to rumors, leaks, interviews, etc.
  • Mario Golf
  • Skyward Sword HD
  • 2D Metroid
  • WarioWare
  • Mario Party
  • 3D Kirby
  • Pokemon Gen 4 Remakes
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Mario + Rabbids
  • Pokemon Gen 9
  • Fire Emblem
Not to mention finally getting to see Bayonetta 3 and Tears of the Kingdom. All of these were generally expected reveals, and they make up the brunt of Nintendo's output over the last couple years. That's not to say that there haven't been surprises, of course, but for the most part the past two years have mostly fallen in line with people's expectations.

The main reason I bring this up is because it honestly feels like we've reached the end of that "checklist". Metroid Prime HD, Donkey Kong, and Everybody's 1-2-Switch are the only remaining big rumors from the previous two years when it comes to software, and in terms of vaporware we're only waiting on Metroid Prime 4 at this point (and arguable Advance Wars as well). For the first time in quite a while, it feels like we're going into the year relatively blind, which is pretty exciting all things considered. We've already seen a few new expectations crop up, like 2D Mario or Style Savvy, but they're a far cry from the confidence I've generally felt from predictions for the software mentioned above.

Anyway, I'll just pile all of this into a spoiler tag to prevent this post from getting too long.

• Fire Emblem Engage will review similarly to the 3DS games. Reception towards the gameplay will be great, and the visuals will receive heavy praise, but the writing and characters will come under fire. Three Houses will still be considered the better game by the majority.
  • Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe will receive a number of complaints towards its $60 price tag, but will otherwise be received well.
  • Bayonetta Origins will also come under a bit of fire for the price tag, but the game will ultimately review better than people expect. Won't sell well though.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom will be a smash hit, no surprise there, but the lack of hardware alongside it will be a fairly big talking point, especially if the game has performance issues.
  • Pikmin 4 won't show up in the February Direct, which will instead focus on new games as per usual. It'll resurface in the summer with an October release date.
  • Mario Kart 8 DLC will continue throughout the year, releasing in late March, mid July, and early November.
  • The first major DLC expansion to release will be the Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Expansion, dropping in June.
  • The Splatoon 3 Expansion will be next, with the story expansion dropping in July.
  • Next is the Fire Emblem Engage Expansion, releasing in October.
  • Finally, the Mario + Rabbids Rayman Expansion will release in November.
  • Advance Wars 1+2: Re-boot Camp is shuffled out the door in April with minimal marketing.
  • Metroid Prime 4 finally surfaces in the June Direct, but is given a 2024 release window. It does not show up for the rest of the year.
  • Before any direct, Everybody's 1-2-Switch finally gets announced, with a March release date.
  • Kid Icarus: Uprising HD is the opening announcement of the February Direct, given a June release date.
  • Buddy Mission Bond also shows up in the February Direct, given an April release date.
  • Donkey Kong is the final major announcement of the February Direct, given a basic 2023 release window that ultimately ends up as a September release date.
  • Metroid Prime HD is one of the major announcements of the June Direct, preceding the Metroid Prime 4 reveal. It's slated for August.
  • Style Savvy gets a surprise release, dropping in August.
  • The main holiday title is indeed a new 2D Mario, releasing in November. Main gimmick is essentially an inversion of 3D Land/World: rather than converting 2D Mario to 3D, 3D Mario is converted to 2D, resulting in a design that is somewhat similar to a Metroidvania.
  • Detective Pikachu finally makes an appearance, releasing in July.
  • Pokemon Gen 9 gets two major expansions, releasing in June and November.
  • Tears of the Kingdom receives two major expansions as well. The first releases in October, while the second is pushed to 2024.
  • Numerous expansions are added to the NSO Expansion Pack, along with GBA support, with the highlight being a fully localized Mother 3. The GB/GBC library is added to the base NSO subscription.
  • F-Zero GX HD is the opener for the September Direct, with a January 2024 release date.
  • Star Fox gets a new game, but very little is shown. 2024.
  • 3D Mario closes the direct, but once again very little is shown. 2024.
  • New Hardware is announced by Nintendo in a similar fashion to the initial Switch reveal. A full unveiling is scheduled for early 2024, hence the lack of significant footage for Star Fox and 3D Mario.
  • Other games, such as Grezzo's next project or the Genealogy of the Holy War remake, show up in the hardware event.

I am predicting a relatively slow transitional year, relying on a lot of remasters, DLC, and a few heavy hitters.

Jan: Fire Emblem Engage
Feb: Kirby Dreamland Deluxe
March: Bayonetta Origins
April: Detective Pikachu port with expanded story
May: Zelduh
June: Style Savvy
July: 2D Mario
August: Astral Chain 2
Sept: Pikmin 4; GB/GBC/GBA NSO
Oct: Metroid Prime Remastered
Nov: Pokemon Black and White remakes (ILCA)
Dec: Rhythm Heaven new

Advance Wars is still in limbo
DLC: FE Engage, Splatoon 3, Xenoblade, Mario Kart courses, Mario + Rabbids, Scarlet / Violet expac, Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom expac

2024+:
NDcube - New IP
Intelligence Systems - Paper Mario TTYD remaster, Fire Emblem 4 Echoes remake
Next Level Games - Punch Out !! (Wii) remaster
Pokemon Company - Kanto Legends game
Bandai Namco - Kid Icarus Uprising remaster
Camelot / Wayforward - Golden Sun 1 + 2 remake
Good Feel - Samurai Action Game and Wario Land: Shake Dimension port

Mario Kart X (the new crossover game now that Smash is on hiatus)
Zelda WW / TP HD ports
F-Zero GX HD
2D Donkey Kong closer to theme park expansion
Metroid Prime 4

I am predicting a relatively slow transitional year, relying on a lot of remasters, DLC, and a few heavy hitters.

Dec:
Rhythm Heaven new

DLC: FE Engage, Splatoon 3, Xenoblade, Mario Kart courses, Mario + Rabbids, Scarlet / Violet expac, Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom expac

2024+:
NDcube - New IP

Zelda WW / TP HD ports
F-Zero GX HD
Metroid Prime 4
A fourth mainline Pokemon game in three years would be my villain arc

Dec: Rhythm Heaven new

2024+:
NDcube - New IP

Zelda WW / TP HD ports
F-Zero GX HD
Metroid Prime 4
Astral Chain 2 being 2023 already would be the biggest and most welcomed surprise to me by far. I will cry of joy whenever it's announced on a random Direct.

I would love a new 2D Mario next year too, it's damn time, but I think we might get 3D Mario as the November release, with Pokémon remakes being 2024(like 2020 having no mainline Pokémon but expansions to Sword and Shield in the holidays)

I think I forgot to put on my post, but I think that by February Direct or Pokémon Presents they'll announce a major free update that upgrades textures, solves lighting/graphics problems, locks the framerate and adds AA or fix the resolution inconsistency idk. With apologies, of course.

The game will then be redeemed, think of No Man's Sky.

I guess I can just copy what I wrote in this thread, just rewrite it a little, maybe add a few more things...

H1:
  • Detective Pikachu II finally given a proper reveal in a January Pokemon Presents; releasing on incredibly short notice just like the original and Mystery Dungeon DX. Scarlet and Violet's paid DLC is also announced in the presentation, two main expansions again just like Sword and Shield.
  • Advance Wars will be dropped on short notice around the 1 year anniversary of the initial delay; at most one month ahead of release. Very low-key, minimal marketing, just to get it out there.
  • Pocket Card Jockey: Ride On! will show up in the next General Direct (mid February, before Kirby); published by Game Freak themselves in Japan and Nintendo internationally like the original 3DS title. Enjoyers of good video games will rejoice on that day.
  • Everybody's 1-2-Switch is revealed outside of a Direct, and much like Advance Wars will be released on short notice. In a shocking twist the game is not primarily developed by EPD Group 4, but by NDcube. Nothing else from them this year because of that.
  • This is the year themes are finally introduced on Switch... as another NSO platinum point reward. These will be permanantly avaialble unlike the icons though, with a growing selection over time. They come with music and unique sound effects that can be enabled / disabled.
  • Fresh Super Mario Bros. is revealed in the next General Direct, for release in June. It will feature a distinct visual style, movement mechanics inspired by Super Maio Run's parkour and the 3D World theme in Maker 2, multiple playable characters with different stats and new world / level themes not previously seen in 2D Mario (sweets world, mechanical world, etc).
H2:
  • Pikmin 4 is confirmed for a September launch in the June Direct. Many fear about the lack of a release date announcement in the February Direct, but it turns out fine regardless. Co-op and multiplayer locally and online will be a big focus of the late marketing for the game, spotlighted during the June Direct and following Treehouse segment.
  • Port central in the back half of the year; F-Zero GX and Metroid Prime for certain. Former will have all notable content unlocked from the start (no longer locked behind hard difficulty story mode missions) including AX racers and courses, and online play.
  • Style Savvy will finally show itself after so long. It won't get a ton of attention by media or the hardcore Nintendo crowd but it'll be another solid title for the series.
  • Splatoon 3's major DLC with be the Bunny Expansion, returning to one of the original pre-Inkling concepts for the playable cast of the series and tieing into the Mammalian focus of the main game's story. Genetically modified rabbits called Bunlings that can go into ink just like squids and octos.
  • A new Donkey Kong title is the major November release of the year. In spite of all the fears, the game features the return of the Kremlings and multiple playable and non-playable Kongs. To cash in on Smash popularity K. Rool will be a playable character too, teaming up with the Kongs for whatever contrived reason; maybe the other Kremlings are brainwashed or have a new leader or whatever.
  • It's time for a new Rhythm Heaven!! Co-developed by Nintendo EPD and indieszero, a major focus of this new installment will be making and sharing custom remixes, inspired by the YouTube trend. A custom music maker is included to facilitate this, but a few fan favourite Nintendo songs are also included to use.
Somewhere:
  • It's about time for Game Boy / Game Boy Advance NSO to show up. Pokemon Gen 1 will be included in the launch lineup of games as the star attraction, with Gen 2 and 3 confirmed out the gate to be releasing later. Four player online support for GBA will instead be pushed with titles like Mario Kart Super Circuit, Zelda Four Swords and Kirby and the Amazing Mirror.
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will eventually add new characters and battle maps in addition to race courses; also ported from Tour. The likes of Pauline, Birdo, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, Funky Kong, Petey Piranha, King Bob-omb, Kamek and Luma are included in the character lineup; and fan favourite battle courses like Block Fort and Funky Stadium will return.
  • Tears of the Kingdom will get a paid DLC expansion just like the original. This, the original BotW expansion pass and the Splatoon 3 expansion will be added to the NSO + Expansion Pack subscription, while the Fire Emblem, Pokemon and Xenoblade DLC will not.
  • Buddy Mission BOND will eventually recieve an English localisation. I and five other people total will buy it.
  • Square Enix put out a Bravely Collection (Bravely Default and Bravely Second) that may or may not be published by Nintendo outside of Japan. DQIII HD-2D Remake may also be published by Nintendo outside of Japan, who knows.
  • Arika and HAL are both cooking up new eShop titles; another 99 game for the former and something else for the latter. Maybe the next BoxBoy, maybe Part-Time UFO 2, maybe Picross 3D Round 3.
Nowhere:
  • New hardware and 3D Mario; those will be in 2024.
This year would be phenomenal, which means it won’t happen.

with the hardware talk today I'm predicting a Switch successor announced in the fall with a spring-summer 2024 release date and it will be called The Nintendo Super Switch

What I want to see:

• The long rumored Donkey Kong EPD game
  • F-Zero GX Remaster
  • Star Fox - something, anything for the 30th anniversary
  • Wario Land Virtual Boy Remake or a new game
  • Port of Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World
  • Metroid Prime Remastered
  • Goldeneye and Advance Wars finally come out
  • GBA on NSO
  • Switch successor

But I wouldn't be surprised if none of those happen and the year will rely heavily on the announced Zelda, Fire Emblem and Kirby games. At least Pikmin 4 is happening, and likely a new Mario game to tie in with the movie, too.

I don't think Astral Chain 2 is happening any time soon. What we know:

-Platinum is 308 employees as of 2022
-The Bayonetta 3 team just finished their game
-They're hard at work at project GG, and "It's going to be so big that you won't even be able to compare The Wonderful 101."
-They're hard at work on finishing Bayonetta Origins
-At least one dude in his office is plugging away on TW101 DLC

There is also Babylon's fall, which released in March this year. It's possible that team may have begun work on AC 2, or joined in on other projects. It seems really unlikely to me that it's coming any time soon, but who knows... They stretch themselves REALLY thin these days.

Astral Chain 2 is one I keep forgetting about, even moreso now that Bayonetta Origins exists. It's certainly happening given prior hints, Takahisa Taura is confirmed to be leading some project and it isn't anything currently announced, but i'm not sure where it could fit into next year. I'll stick with 2024 for now but it isn't out of the question.

Just hope the next one tones down the cop stuff; but I think the original left the room open for that anyway.

Super Mario Odyssey DLC that coincides with worlds featured in the movie + Delfino Island.

New (but not "NEW") 2D Mario.

GCN on Switch (NSO and/or remasters)

The ability to switch items, on the fly, in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

-Metroid Prime HD is a June title.
-Everybody Switch is released as a NSO Expansion Pass title.
-Xenoblade 3 DLC is out in June, Splatoon 3 DLC in September, Pokèmon SV massive story DLC is a November release
- 2D DK and Rhythm Heaven Switch will be released in September
-Pikmin 4 is out October 2nd
-a Brand new Mario, a perfectly balanced 2D and 3D open map adventure is the big fall/holiday title

I know the Sword/Shield expansion counted as the 'yearly Pokemon' title in 2020, but I think that was due to the pandemic. I think they wanted a full retail game that year and internal delays led to us getting Diamond / Pearl remakes and Legends so close to one another.

Why would the Pokemon Company settle for some 40 dollars expansion when they could get 60 for a full new retail product? Ultimately I think we are getting both Scarlet / Violet expansions and another remake in 2023.

I know the Sword/Shield expansion counted as the 'yearly Pokemon' title in 2020, but I think that was due to the pandemic. I think they wanted a full retail game that year and internal delays led to us getting Diamond / Pearl remakes and Legends so close to one another.

Why would the Pokemon Company settle for some 40 dollars expansion when they could get 60 for a full new retail product? Ultimately I think we are getting both Scarlet / Violet expansions and another remake in 2023.
I highly doubt that. There's simply not enough resources. Game Freak is stretched too thin and Ilca just made the Diamond and Pearl remakes last year. Who would make it?

No distribution costs for DLC meaning higher margins, and it keeps the base games selling, so they are not losing out on new $60 purchases anyway. Sword and Shield would not have reached 25m+ if a new retail game took its place. I don't think we know how well the expansion pass sold so it's impossible to say whether it was worth it or not for them.

SwSh DLC was announced before COVID was a thing, the 2nd wk of Jan 2020

• Nintendo do release new hardware, but it doesn't receive any first-party exclusives in 2023
  • Nintendo release new mainline Super Mario
  • Nintendo release Pikmin 4 in September 2023
  • Nintendo and NdCube release a new Animal Crossing spin off in October 2023
  • Metroid Prime HD and Advance Wars Reboot Camp finally release
  • Metroid Prime 4 gets its first proper footage
  • Nintendo launch their first new IP since Game Builder Garage
An actually well made animal crossing party game spin off that isn’t amiibo festival would be so bomb

SwSh DLC was announced before COVID was a thing, the 2nd wk of Jan 2020
This has nothing to do with whether they expected to release another title in 2020 before the pandemic, which is what I am guessing was the plan for Diamond and Pearl remakes.

I highly doubt that. There's simply not enough resources. Game Freak is stretched too thin and Ilca just made the Diamond and Pearl remakes last year. Who would make it?

This apparent 'lack of resources' has not impacted the release or sales of Scarlet / Violet, which was clearly rushed out the door. ILCA has been done with Diamond / Pearl for over a year, and some members of the team could have been done even earlier. The game sold well and it would make sense to greenlight another remake from the same gen, on the same hardware.

No distribution costs for DLC meaning higher margins, and it keeps the base games selling, so they are not losing out on new $60 purchases anyway. Sword and Shield would not have reached 25m+ if a new retail game took its place. I don't think we know how well the expansion pass sold so it's impossible to say whether it was worth it or not for them.
I agree with most of this, although I am sure the expansion pack was worth it to them either way. I simply think they will have both an outsourced remake and paid dlc made internally.

Masuda implied on Twitter that development for BDSP only started in early 2020. The lead planner for the game didn't even join ILCA until that September.

It's likely that BDSP was designed as a very faithful remake so it could be quickly slotted in as a traditional Pokemon release for 2021. I personally believe that Legends was also initially scheduled for 2021 and both titles were internally delayed by a few months before their reveal.

SwSh DLC with a bundle in November was clearly the plan for 2020.

this is an exercise in futility but I happen to love those. here are my bad and wrong predictions:
  • not the cancelled revision, not the looming succ, but something just… baffling, hardware-wise. either a lateral discount Switch with a tiny adjustment, a microphone add-on, or something like the Ring-Con
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom slaps
  • Kirbwii slaps
  • Fire Emblem slaps less but the fans have a blast
  • Pikmin 4 slaps… in 2024
  • Rhythm Heaven: Golden Hour comes out. What does Golden Hour mean here? you’ll have to wait to find out… but part of it is related to a new in-game currency
  • Pokémon Scarlet & Violet: Majorca’s Mask & Burning Pyrenees. The island is lots of fun, but the mountains seem small… until you realize it’s a setup for TIME TRAVEL. One of the new legendaries is Pinocchio. Another is menacing geometry.
  • New Pokémon Pinball, FINALLY. Need I say more? Includes boards for each region.
  • Donkey Kongress arrives. It’s like political Ace Attorney with Donkey Kong characters. Motion control punch mechanics are crucial to the gameplay. We find out what happened to Daddy Kong.
  • Super Mario Sisters — Peach finds out her long lost sister is a butch plumber named Maria. The two team up to rescue the boys from a new rat-king creature that is holding them hostage underground.
  • Star Fox Solar releases. There’s a sun and it’s gonna blow up.
  • we wait and wait but we don’t hear anything about Metroid… until September (2024 set to excite)
Other things:
  • Silksong slaps
  • Outer Wilds finally shows up in December
  • New Castlevania announced
  • Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters DO IN FACT come with a new font, or one is patched in soon after release
  • Something we’ve never fucking heard of before comes out from Nintendo / close associates of Nintendo

this is an exercise in futility but I happen to love those. here are my bad and wrong predictions:
  • not the cancelled revision, not the looming succ, but something just… baffling, hardware-wise. either a lateral discount Switch with a tiny adjustment, a microphone add-on, or something like the Ring-Con
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom slaps
  • Kirbwii slaps
  • Fire Emblem slaps less but the fans have a blast
  • Pikmin 4 slaps… in 2024
  • Rhythm Heaven: Golden Hour comes out. What does Golden Hour mean here? you’ll have to wait to find out… but part of it is related to a new in-game currency
  • Pokémon Scarlet & Violet: Majorca’s Mask & Burning Pyrenees. The island is lots of fun, but the mountains seem small… until you realize it’s a setup for TIME TRAVEL. One of the new legendaries is Pinocchio. Another is menacing geometry.
  • New Pokémon Pinball, FINALLY. Need I say more? Includes boards for each region.
  • Donkey Kongress arrives. It’s like political Ace Attorney with Donkey Kong characters. Motion control punch mechanics are crucial to the gameplay. We find out what happened to Daddy Kong.
  • Super Mario Sisters — Peach finds out her long lost sister is a butch plumber named Maria. The two team up to rescue the boys from a new rat-king creature that is holding them hostage underground.
  • Star Fox Solar releases. There’s a sun and it’s gonna blow up.
  • we wait and wait but we don’t hear anything about Metroid… until September (2024 set to excite)
Other things:
  • Silksong slaps
  • Outer Wilds finally shows up in December
  • New Castlevania announced
  • Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters DO IN FACT come with a new font, or one is patched in soon after release
  • Something we’ve never fucking heard of before comes out from Nintendo / close associates of Nintendo
You say Bad and Wrong but then proceed to say TOTK and Silksong slap. You better not be wrong 😤

Well...if DF is to be believed, they seem to think new hardware is in possibly 2024.

This will change most everyones predictions on here.

IF WE ASSUME THIS IS TRUE...does Nintendo go with a "Nintendo drought" after Zelda until the Holiday to set up Switch 2 launch in 2024?

I agree with most of this, although I am sure the expansion pack was worth it to them either way. I simply think they will have both an outsourced remake and paid dlc made internally.
Their remakes are typically more spread out, only one per system so far (typically averaging every other generation). Even if they could theoretically pump one out next year, I highly doubt they will. They don't wanna run out of games to remake, burn through potential releases too quickly or burn players out.

There will be no "Switch 2." It won't even be announced.

Drops mic.

To be continued...

You say Bad and Wrong but then proceed to say TOTK and Silksong slap. You better not be wrong 😤
I should have clarified that only the left-field ones are bad and wrong

I have one last left-field prediction and it might be my least likely yet.

I think Miiverse is coming back in some form next year, and right now I think it'll be before Zelda.

Splatoon's Twitter integration may be pretty minor, but it's a series staple and big part of a lot of the game's art. I suspect that when Musk's buyout was first made public they began looking into the viability of once again hosting this and similar features themselves.

Why before Zelda? Well besides the fact that Twitter is expectedly a ticking time bomb, over in the game's pre-release thread they've found photos of a brochure that, if legitimate, suggest some Nintendo Switch Online integration. Leaving messages to other players or other strand-like features seem to form a likely explanation.

Lastly, if there was ever a time to viably bring back Miiverse it's when they can put it behind the Expansion Pack paywall...

Nintendo uncancels the Pro with a firmware update that activates a boost mode in all Mariko Switches i.e. the Lite, the 2019 model and the OLED model, allowing for docked performance in handheld mode and higher res / higher framerate options in docked mode with a battery life warning.

I have one last left-field prediction and it might be my least likely yet.

I think Miiverse is coming back in some form next year, and right now I think it'll be before Zelda.

Splatoon's Twitter integration may be pretty minor, but it's a series staple and big part of a lot of the game's art. I suspect that when Musk's buyout was first made public they began looking into the viability of once again hosting this and similar features themselves.

Why before Zelda? Well besides the fact that Twitter is expectedly a ticking time bomb, over in the game's pre-release thread they've found photos of a brochure that, if legitimate, suggest some Nintendo Switch Online integration. Leaving messages to other players or other strand-like features seem to form a likely explanation.

Lastly, if there was ever a time to viably bring back Miiverse it's when they can put it behind the Expansion Pack paywall...
Actually, I could see this happening. Like, I'm fully on board. Didn't Nintendo announce that they're getting rid of Facebook integration earlier this year?

Other than what's already been announced I'd say, mp, f zero gx, and kid icarus uprising remasters.
New dk. And something star fox. Also ring fit adventure 2 maybe? Gb/gba nso.

• New Pokemon Mystery Dungeon remake, the first Switch remake was clearly adored by fans and sold well enough.
  • Kid Icarus Uprising enhanced remaster for Nintendo Switch developed and published by Bandai Namco.
  • Monolith Soft's action RPG is a Legend of Zelda Gaiden game, it's likely headed by Yasuyuki Honne.
  • Bandai Namco are going to release a double-pack remaster for Baten Kaitos just like the Klonoa games.
  • Game Freak are going to announce digital releases for Pokemon Ruby, Pokemon Sapphire, Pokemon Emerald, Pokemon Fire Red and Pokemon Leaf Green.

Back
Top Bottom