• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic NieR:Automata The End of YoRHa Edition |ST| Kant, Nietzsche and Auguste, with a slice of katanas

Getting there..

0ry9qcO.png
With only 12h? Jusr...mad. Wow. (I know many are joke endings, but the main route did take me, now knowing what 2 do a&b together would take me 12 at least)

With only 12h? Jusr...mad. Wow. (I know many are joke endings, but the main route did take me, now knowing what 2 do a&b together would take me 12 at least)

Yeah, I usually play A and B playthrough within 6-7 hours each. Mostly because I play on easy mode and never die once, and also sort of speedrun from story beat to story beat, no sidequests, except for the small detours you need to get for most joke endings.

Finished the 'true' ending. For those in the thread wondering earlier if the online features needed for the true ending worked they do, I turned them on during the final fight and everything went as planned.

I was surprised they actually deleted your save, I like the message though about fighting for the greater good and giving up your own struggle to help someone else. I'm so happy I finally got to play this game.

After 8-9 hours of playtime, I feel like the game teeters on the brink of greatness but doesn't quite get there.

On the one hand, it has a lot going for it; the genre-shifting gameplay is interesting, the combat is as fluid and satisfying as I'm come to expect from Platinum, the music is awesome, it has a very unique sense of style.

On the other, it feels a bit uneven in terms of gameplay, with some really baffling design choices like having to backtrack through the same damn factory area like half a dozen times, or a sidescrolling section where the camera zooms so far out it is difficult to make out the enemies you're required to fight, Every time I feel like the game has attained greatness, I'll come across some odd little frustration like this that takes me out of the experience.

Also, maybe I just don't get it, but I keep hearing about how the game is a narrative masterpiece and so far I'm really just not seeing it? The story so far feels pretty average for a video game and I'm quite underwhelmed.

I dunno, I don't wanna be a party pooper but I kinda expected more from it. That said, it is still a worthy addition to the Switch library, just not quite the mindblowing masterpiece I expected.

After 8-9 hours of playtime, I feel like the game teeters on the brink of greatness but doesn't quite get there.

On the one hand, it has a lot going for it; the genre-shifting gameplay is interesting, the combat is as fluid and satisfying as I'm come to expect from Platinum, the music is awesome, it has a very unique sense of style.

On the other, it feels a bit uneven in terms of gameplay, with some really baffling design choices like having to backtrack through the same damn factory area like half a dozen times, or a sidescrolling section where the camera zooms so far out it is difficult to make out the enemies you're required to fight, Every time I feel like the game has attained greatness, I'll come across some odd little frustration like this that takes me out of the experience.

Also, maybe I just don't get it, but I keep hearing about how the game is a narrative masterpiece and so far I'm really just not seeing it? The story so far feels pretty average for a video game and I'm quite underwhelmed.

I dunno, I don't wanna be a party pooper but I kinda expected more from it. That said, it is still a worthy addition to the Switch library, just not quite the mindblowing masterpiece I expected.
You should keep going

I agree with the poster above, keep going for story greatness. I would guess after your playtime that you're still in the first 3rd of the game.

Started route C, looks like things are heating up.

However...who decided those visual effects in route C??? Some of these designs are mind boggling, frustrating and painful. I guess this is a Yoko Taro experience...?

Okay, finished Route A and rolled credits for the first time, after 10 hours.
The further I play, the more conflicted I feel.

Over the last half hour or so of the game I nearly threw the controller more than once. During the electric sphere fight outside the camp and final fight with Eve so much went like:
Gets hit
Heals
Is immediately hit again
Heals
Hit three times in a row in half a second
Heals
Etc

I never had this problem with other Platinum games like Bayonetta 1/2 or Astral Chain, and I'm no stranger to challenging games like Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak or Metroid Dread, but for some reason some of the fights in Nier Automata just felt frustrating and unfair.

Whether it's attacks that can hit several times in quick succession, hitboxes the size of a house, being hit from off camera, or the screen being flooded with a bullet hell quantity of projectiles without a clear path through, I pretty much only got through my abusing the amount of healing items I've hoarded, and it was not fun at all.

The final section where you have to win while crippled was cool, and the finale where 2B has to kill 9S was actually really powerful. But then lol jk, he's still alive somehow inside the machines, so the impact of her having to kill him is immediately undermined.

I can't stress enough that there is a lot I really like about the game, from its bold and confident sense of style, to its musical and technical brilliance, but not since Xenoblade 2 have I experienced such a polarized combination of impressive and maddening aspects in a single game.

Last edited:
Okay, finished Route A and rolled credits for the first time, after 10 hours.
The further I play, the more conflicted I feel.

Over the last half hour or so of the game I nearly threw the controller more than once. During the electric sphere fight outside the camp and final fight with Eve so much went like:
Gets hit
Heals
Is immediately hit again
Heals
Hit three times in a row in half a second
Heals
Etc

I never had this problem with other Platinum games like Bayonetta 1/2 or Astral Chain, and I'm no stranger to challenging games like Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak or Metroid Dread, but for some reason some of the fights in Nier Automata just felt frustrating and unfair.

Whether it's attacks that can hit several times in quick succession, hitboxes the size of a house, being hit from off camera, or the screen being flooded with a bullet hell quantity of projectiles without a clear path through, I pretty much only got through my abusing the amount of healing items I've hoarded, and it was not fun at all.

The final section where you have to win while crippled was cool, and the finale where 2B has to kill 9S was actually really powerful. But then lol jk, he's still alive somehow inside the machines, so the impact of her having to kill him is immediately flushed down the toilet.

I can't stress enough that there is a lot I really like about the game, from its bold and confident sense of style, to its musical and technical presentation, but not since Xenoblade 2 have I experienced such a polarized combination of impressive and maddening aspects in a single game.
First: 100% not the fairest..but also where it becomes clear that its an Action JRPG and not a pure action game.
Took a while for me to move from my "action game" to my "jrpg" mindset.

There are skills that a) make you invincible after a hit (no chaining), that auto heal with healing items, that slow down time in proximity of a bullet...
But the game was never good in conveing what the chip system can do, especially since you effectively dont need it on normal for the most time.

In regards to the ending: well storys not done.
But i get your point of the fake out.

I just started my third play through, where the game really begins. I'm 37 hours into it. I decided to play it like I would any of JRPG where I explore, farm upgrade items, etc., I am having a blast. I am not going to 100% it, but in definitely finishing this story overall before P5R comes out on Friday.

First: 100% not the fairest..but also where it becomes clear that its an Action JRPG and not a pure action game.
Took a while for me to move from my "action game" to my "jrpg" mindset.

There are skills that a) make you invincible after a hit (no chaining), that auto heal with healing items, that slow down time in proximity of a bullet...
But the game was never good in conveing what the chip system can do, especially since you effectively dont need it on normal for the most time.

In regards to the ending: well storys not done.
But i get your point of the fake out.
Yeah equipment makes a biiig difference in Automata. I always had the "invincible after a hit" and "time slows near projectiles" chips equipped, and I got to a point where I almost never had to heal during a battle. I was just dodging around everything.

FFS!!!!!

In route C, there is a really frustrating part where you walk slow. I did it. Game goes all black screen and nothing. I have to start that sequence all over again urghhh....

FFS!!!!!

In route C, there is a really frustrating part where you walk slow. I did it. Game goes all black screen and nothing. I have to start that sequence all over again urghhh....
oof
yea
I was doing the walking part and a machine knocked me off into a big hole that I couldn't jump out of so I had to restart as well 😅
I mean, narratively that part is amazing to me, but yeah

oof
yea
I was doing the walking part and a machine knocked me off into a big hole that I couldn't jump out of so I had to restart as well 😅
I mean, narratively that part is amazing to me, but yeah

Route C spoilers regarding mentioned scene

Try doing it 4 times.

One for an ending (die from virus)
another one for an ending (walk away as A2)
ANOTHER one for an ending (walk away as 9S)
and then progress with the story

Route C spoilers regarding mentioned scene

Try doing it 4 times.

One for an ending (die from virus)
another one for an ending (walk away as A2)
ANOTHER one for an ending (walk away as 9S)
and then progress with the story

😳

Ok, just finished the game (for the first time here on switch), all 26 endings obtained, all but one sidequest (that dumb 95% data quest I may or may not finish), 44 hours of playtime. Ran into some frustrating moments in the game ( a couple save crippling crashes, and route A beginning and end are kinda meh tbh), but honestly this is one of the greatest games of all time. The combat is fun and never gets boring, the story was engaging, the characters are amazing (the relationship developed between 2b and 9s was the highlight for me), and the ending was intense. It also looks great on switch (barring some performance issues), and the soundtrack was really good too. Oh, also the sidequests... they are so freaking good. I came in expecting a bunch of fetch quests (like most games), and while this game does have some, most of the quests felt genuinely good and I always got exciting seeing a new red dot appear on the map. So yeah, I mother effing love Nier: Automata, and I'd give it a 10/10 (which I rarely give games). With all that said, what score out of 10 would y'all give this masterpiece?

Okay, played the first hour of Route B and my overall feeling has swung back towards the positive.

Seeing the story from a difference viewpoint is a cool concept well implemented, and I like both the hacking minigame and the way it is incorporated into the gameplay.

I have taken feedback on board (thanks to those who gave it) and I'm focusing more on the plug-in chip system from here on out. Trying out a build of offensive heal, anti-chain damage, and auto-heal. Hope i find another deadly heal (lost mine near the end of Route A) that thing was a lifesaver.

Last edited:
Okay, played the first hour of Route B and my overall feeling has swung back towards the positive.

Seeing the story from a difference viewpoint is a cool concept well implemented, and I like both the hacking minigame and the way it is incorporated into the gameplay.

I have taken feedback on board and I'm focusing more on the plug-in chip system from here on out. Trying out a build of offensive heal, anti-chain damage, and auto-heal. Hope i find another deadly heal (lost mine near the end of Route A) that thing was a lifesaver.
As enemies get to a higher level they will be constantly dropping chips. In route C I had to sell a few because I'd reached the max capacity.

The final section where you have to win while crippled was cool, and the finale where 2B has to kill 9S was actually really powerful. But then lol jk, he's still alive somehow inside the machines, so the impact of her having to kill him is immediately undermined.

I can't stress enough that there is a lot I really like about the game, from its bold and confident sense of style, to its musical and technical brilliance, but not since Xenoblade 2 have I experienced such a polarized combination of impressive and maddening aspects in a single game.

Route A ending spoiler

As far as I'm thinking, 9S being inside a machine kind of brings the Route A plot full circle, with the machines becoming more and more human, so it's, like, thematically fitting I think, for a machine body to now have an android "inside it", and further erasing the lines between machines, humans, and androids, showing that what they ultimately have in common is consciousness.

As for the killing scene itself, I still think it's a powerful end to 2B's journey towards becoming more emotional and affectionate. It really got to me me the first time.

Anyway, it's always awesome to hear people's opinions on the game!

Route C completed. That was intense...

I have a quick question:
I chose A2 and fought 9S, would the story/ending change if I chose 9S instead?

Edit: hold up, have I finished the story now??

Double Edit: looks like I haven't completed the story yet lol.

Last edited:
Route C completed. That was intense...

I have a quick question:
I chose A2 and fought 9S, would the story/ending change if I chose 9S instead?
yes. You should be able to reload that save and it'll start you somewhere around the decision, though. You don't have to, like, play through the Route again or anything.

Edit: hold up, have I finished the story now??
Close. Make sure you're connected to the internet, go after the other ending, and make sure you stay through the credits. There will be prompts. If you want to know what to do: Say yes to them, and say that you "want them to survive."

And then...
7CjK.gif

The game really is great after finally clearing the first mission. That one gave me a headache but the game opens up a lot. I can feel that this game is something special.

I managed in a weak moment die twice before picking my body up so I thought to myself I should just load my last save to redeem the situation and apparently It didnt help so I lost all my good chips..

Pretty sure I was pretty close to Route A end. Such a buzzkill. Not even sure I want to continue

I managed in a weak moment die twice before picking my body up so I thought to myself I should just load my last save to redeem the situation and apparently It didnt help so I lost all my good chips..

Pretty sure I was pretty close to Route A end. Such a buzzkill. Not even sure I want to continue
Buy some and push through if youre at the end of route A, going forward after route A the enemies drop more then enough better chips.

Question about route B for those of us playing for the first time; I'm up to the section that's largely the same as route A and it is a bit of a slog; I wanna speed through it to get to the new stuff, but I am worried if that will leave me too underlevelled. (I'm level 30 and just reached the theme park)

Should I just go for it? Thanks in advance. :)

Question about route B for those of us playing for the first time; I'm up to the section that's largely the same as route A and it is a bit of a slog; I wanna speed through it to get to the new stuff, but I am worried if that will leave me too underlevelled. (I'm level 30 and just reached the theme park)

Should I just go for it? Thanks in advance. :)
The level system in this game don't matter that much, but it might pose some challenge later in the game (for me is the start of Route C) .

Buy some and push through if youre at the end of route A, going forward after route A the enemies drop more then enough better chips.

The only thing I could buy was heals because I was really at the end of the route so I I had to use the stuff that I had bagged
But I did it :p Even if I had to use a lot of heals hehe..

Overall I liked it a lot more than I did when I previously played it. At that time, I was done when I ended Route A and decided not to continue, I'm gonna continue this time. I just need a break for Mario + Rabbids and Bayo 3 :>

The only thing I could buy was heals because I was really at the end of the route so I I had to use the stuff that I had bagged
But I did it :p Even if I had to use a lot of heals hehe..

Overall I liked it a lot more than I did when I previously played it. At that time, I was done when I ended Route A and decided not to continue, I'm gonna continue this time. I just need a break for Mario + Rabbids and Bayo 3 :>
Congrats. Ok, you already played route a but not b. Interesting , keep us informed if it was worth it. =D

100% weapons! Now for the loot grind ...
Still want to 10ö% but this game really starts to drag after a while. 80% of sidequests, and it gets hard to actually find guides where in the game its best to do which sidequest...
and late game grinding is slooow

Haven't had the chance to play in the past couple of weeks, only just beat the human-looking white-haired guy in the desert apartment complex.

Am I out of the tutorial enough to complain about when this gets good? I can't think of anything about the gameplay that I'd say I actually like. The world doesn't feel interesting to explore and I'm not too enthusiastic about the combat. The controls are a complete enigma to me; my 2B can't decide if she wants to be weighty and precise or quick and flashy, and I have no idea how to control her. I end up using the auto chips for a lot of these fights because the lock-on is finicky and I have no idea what any of these guys' tells are or what I'm supposed to be doing about them.

I get where they want to take the story and I believe the people who say it's cool, but I have a feeling that I don't want to slog however many hours of game to find that out. I don't know if I'm still within the return window but I'm contemplating going for that ending.

Last edited:
Haven't had the chance to play in the past couple of weeks, only just beat the human-looking white-haired guy.

Am I out of the tutorial enough to complain about when this gets good? I can't think of anything about the gameplay that I'd say I actually like. The world doesn't feel interesting to explore and I'm not too enthusiastic about the combat. I get where they want to take the story and I believe the people who say it's cool, but I have a feeling that I don't want to slog however many hours of game to find that out. I don't know if I'm still within the return window but I'm contemplating going for that ending.
That’s like maybe 2 hours in. You don’t know where the story is going unless you’ve seen a playthrough or read a synopsis at this point.

That’s like maybe 2 hours in. You don’t know where the story is going unless you’ve seen a playthrough or read a synopsis at this point.
It's been beating me over the head with stuff about persistence of consciousness and the blurred line between humans and machines. I haven't read anything about the plot but I assume the humans are dead and these enemies are supposed to be evolving to replicate humanity.

Quoted by: em
Hes not wrong. The plot is obvious from hour 2 for the most part and if you watched a lot of 90ties anime (ghost in the shell, sel, eva,,,) the themes and stuff is not that out there.

The 2 times it has is a) the way it incooperates unique aspekts of gaming into its meta narative, b) its structure with multiple endings (well, kinda, see: eva...) and c) the characters and how you see the same events from 2 perspectives and how those change the perception, especially of 9S. I honestly have seen every twist coming from miles away yet still loved it. If he does neither connect with gameplay (whick does not get deeper in my opinion), the characters, setting/art/music, then the plot wont change it

I just finished Route A and this is my first time playing this game. It's completely insane. lol

Is it recommended I dive straight into Route B or do people usually take a break here to avoid burnout? I'm not sure how much is recycled and how much is new.

I just finished Route A and this is my first time playing this game. It's completely insane. lol

Is it recommended I dive straight into Route B or do people usually take a break here to avoid burnout? I'm not sure how much is recycled and how much is new.
I blew right through all Routes in one go. They did a good job of having it not be too repetitive. There's stuff you've experienced in A that gains more context and a different perspective in B. Also since levels carry over it's a little easier to breeze through if you're decently levelled by the end of A.

And then C is just nuts. 🤣

I blew right through all Routes in one go. They did a good job of having it not be too repetitive. There's stuff you've experienced in A that gains more context and a different perspective in B. Also since levels carry over it's a little easier to breeze through if you're decently levelled by the end of A.

And then C is just nuts. 🤣

Ah, OK I get what's going on now. lol

Played about an hour of B and the intro was completely different. Got a better idea of what to expect. lol

Yeah... I think im at 45-48h and am at least 5 hours away fron that state....congratulation.

I think I clocked in at, like, 16-17 hours for all 5 story endings this time, and count another 3-4 hours for getting all the weapons and doing all the other endings.

The rest was seriously all grinding and farming levels, currency and rare loot for ending Y.

It's been beating me over the head with stuff about persistence of consciousness and the blurred line between humans and machines. I haven't read anything about the plot but I assume the humans are dead and these enemies are supposed to be evolving to replicate humanity.
Sure, that's the premise, the way the premise of The Last of Us is about raiders and "zombies", but that is not the story nor even the plot.

Am I out of the tutorial enough to complain about when this gets good? I can't think of anything about the gameplay that I'd say I actually like. The world doesn't feel interesting to explore and I'm not too enthusiastic about the combat. The controls are a complete enigma to me; my 2B can't decide if she wants to be weighty and precise or quick and flashy, and I have no idea how to control her. I end up using the auto chips for a lot of these fights because the lock-on is finicky and I have no idea what any of these guys' tells are or what I'm supposed to be doing about them.

Enemies' eyes generally flash red before melee attacks, so dodging is pretty easy. 2B's own combat system is based on the equipped weapons (which each have their own speed, range, damage and move sets) as well as combo flow, dodge-counters, and movement (running/jumping/standing/etc.). While not as deep as Devil May Cry V or Bayonetta, it is a pretty complex system and one worth practicing if you enjoy action games. Of course you can set the difficulty to easy and use auto chips to have the game play itself, but then you're definitely not going to get a handle on how the mechanics work.

That said, I enjoyed the game from the start. The commonly suggested determination point is the end of the second area or start of the third (i.e., the amusement park and meeting Pascal). If you don't like Nier Automata by then, drop it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom