• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic NieR:Automata The End of YoRHa Edition |ST| Kant, Nietzsche and Auguste, with a slice of katanas

NieR:Automata is one of those games I always wanted a Switch port for, and people kept telling me it wasn't possible because of how "unstable" it is on PS4.

I think at this point we need to realize any game can come to Switch if the publisher is willing to make it happen. I have in fact played this game on PS4, and while I'm still fairly early in the Switch version, I can confidently say it's an amazing port. There are no significant compromises. Nothing that makes me want to pull out the PS4 version instead.

I hope it's a success. This is what I want to see more of from publishers instead of them going the easy route and release cloud versions, or not bringing their games over at all. It deserves to be rewarded. The price is great too.

My wife just bought the game for me. Can't wait to finally play this game. :cool:
Glory to Pflaumenmus12's wife!

And enjoy!
2b-yorha.gif

Call me crazy but I'll be picking this up on Switch over SD. Simply because Switch is more portable and it's the handheld I take on most business trips but it doesn't sound like a huge compromise in performance and overall experience

Call me crazy but I'll be picking this up on Switch over SD. Simply because Switch is more portable and it's the handheld I take on most business trips but it doesn't sound like a huge compromise in performance and overall experience

I don't think I could take the Steam Deck on any trip, ever.

Not only that, SD's battery life is awful. I just received mine and just because of battery this is not a system that you take anywhere. Play it at home while it's plugged in.

While on Switch Lite, I can have 4.5 hours of a demanding game like Automata, more than double of SD, thanks to the smaller screen. And it charges much faster.

Why? Honest auestion.

After initial problems im starting to get into it. In my thoughts i was more prepared for a more linear and action oriented game, this is way more in action-rpg teritory then i expected.

Runns better (and looks better...) then legends arceus. This game really feels like it took a lot from hyper light drifter. At the same time, SMT5 seems as if it took inspiration from automatas world/exploration...

Digital Foundry Tech Review
Digital Foundry's vid is quite positive:

I've wanted to play this for literally five years but never had a platform its on (I think i've mentioned this here before but NieR Automata, Tetris Effect, and Outer Wilds were the three games I always hoped would get a switch port so I wouldn't have to buy a ps4 lol, so we're 2/3rds of the way there...); can't wait to finally start it tomorrow

So happy with this game so far. After the really difficult and annoying tutorial (which is awesome by its own merits), I'm finally in the open world and after some grinding to purchase and upgrade new weapons, I'm finally headed out into the desert.

I've been seriously messing with the settings and controls and finally have it at a comfortable place. The only weird thing I have with the gameplay is the movement and jumping. Jumping doesn't happen immediately, but after a split second of a crouch, so it doesn't feel very responsive.

Battle kinda hacknslack and chaotic... Not so good.
Worlds behind stuff like bayonetta.

World: slow traversal, reminds me of SMT5 but the traversal in that game fellt better.

You know you can run/air-dash/glide/air-throw, right? (And ride animals and fast travel, although those you have to unlock).

Also there are several combat maneuvers that are undocumented, such as dodge and attack (including ranged attack), jump->heavy attack (launcher), hold attack, and light->heavy attack. And you can equip chips for parries and so forth as well. Ultimately, though, Automata is a semi-open-world action RPG rather than a arena-style character action game like Bayonetta or DMC5, so it's not going to match those in combat.

You know you can run/air-dash/glide/air-throw, right? (And ride animals and fast travel, although those you have to unlock).

Also there are several combat maneuvers that are undocumented, such as dodge and attack (including ranged attack), jump->heavy attack (launcher), hold attack, and light->heavy attack. And you can equip chips for parries and so forth as well. Ultimately, though, Automata is a semi-open-world action RPG rather than a arena-style character action game like Bayonetta or DMC5, so it's not going to match those in combat.
There's PARRYING

Should recieve a copy tomorrow. Like Persona 5 (Royal), I never played the game, but it should be right up my alley in regards to the gameplay and narrative. It looks and sounds quite close to the original releases.

It's great to finally catch up with some of the classics from the 8th generation of hardware.

Super happy for people playing it for the first time, as has been mentioned before, you're in for one hell of a journey. Keep the impressions coming!

I've replayed this game, maybe 5-6 times in my life, and every single playthrough has me hooked, engaged and invested, but that first one was magical. Afterwards, I had to put the controller down and catch my breath, hardly believing what I just had played. Was completely exhausted, gameplay-wise as well as emotionally.

Digital Foundry's vid is quite positive:

I've wanted to play this for literally five years but never had a platform its on (I think i've mentioned this here before but NieR Automata, Tetris Effect, and Outer Wilds were the three games I always hoped would get a switch port so I wouldn't have to buy a ps4 lol, so we're 2/3rds of the way there...); can't wait to finally start it tomorrow

Gonna watch it later, thanks! Added to OP.

Big and clunky.
People comepare them so much that i asumed the portability to be comparable. The more you know.

Ill cite myself:
After initial problems im starting to get into it. In my thoughts i was more prepared for a more linear and action oriented game, this is way more in action-rpg teritory then i expected.

Runns better (and looks better...) then legends arceus. This game really feels like it took a lot from hyper light drifter. At the same time, SMT5 seems as if it took inspiration from automatas world/exploration...
Did find out most of that, the many gameplay style changes at the start took space thats usually reserved for explaining the battle/skill system, so it took a while.

I also realized that the run gets faster after some time, but that i cant ignore terrain (tripping? Why?..), and that the effects/blur in SMT5 probably where a reason that it fellt faster. Fast travel with animals: kinda cumbersom. I also miss the fast travel to the last save point from smt5.

Mind you, im nitpicking. Great game.

Watched the DF video. Virtuos made a lot of smart decisions, like using alpha textures for grass. Reconstructed dynamic 1080p is great to see. Disagree with the idea that this port was 'impossible' in the first place but I have my own take on that whole idea...

Ugh, on the fence of just buying this game. Between TUNIC, this and No Man's Sky my backlog weeps...

Watched the DF video. Virtuos made a lot of smart decisions, like using alpha textures for grass. Reconstructed dynamic 1080p is great to see. Disagree with the idea that this port was 'impossible' in the first place but I have my own take on that whole idea...

Ugh, on the fence of just buying this game. Between TUNIC, this and No Man's Sky my backlog weeps...
Yeah, i also never thought its impossible, but my hope was gone eith the xbox port.

Yeah, 3 great games in a short span. If youve played it i would choose tunic first.

Personally im nier -> tunic and then maybe NMS

Okay, strategizing your Skill Plug-in chip setup is really, really cool.

Yeah, it's definitely too big/bulky for a true mobile gaming device. It's portable, sure, but not transportable/mobile enough for me to use when out and about.
That's another reason why I also bought Automata on Switch again, despite having it on Steam already. If I want a handheld version of the game in the strictest sense, then Deck is certainly not that in my book, hence going for the Switch version.
Also having more than 90 minutes of battery life helps as well.

Switch version has a retail release. It's better than the Steam version by default lol.

People comepare them so much that i asumed the portability to be comparable. The more you know.
The portability is comparable, most adults are going to have bodies wide enough that the minor additional length won't make a difference in tight spaces (plane, train seat etc) and the case fits easily in a backpack. I've even seen it go into some of my friend's handbags, lol.

The portability is comparable, most adults are going to have bodies wide enough that the minor additional length won't make a difference in tight spaces (plane, train seat etc) and the case fits easily in a backpack. I've even seen it go into some of my friend's handbags, lol.
It's not just length, but height, thickness, and weight too. I'm not enthusiastic about taking a Deck on a train. Happy for those who do, it stays in my bedroom.

Got the Platinum Trophy and all endings on PS4 back then, only bought one of the achievements.
Always been meaning to try hard mode, only finished it on normal, but that always felt kinda easy.
I remember why I always switched back from hard, that intro without the savepoints is tough, but I will try to perservere.
The Switch version is really nice so far.

Last edited:
I'm really curious about Marvel Midnight Suns on Switch. That game a quite looker and no doubt more demanding than Automata. But Virtuos has all my trust.

Btw, where the hell is Alan Wake.

Man I really wanted this to go alongside Bayonetta and my replay of Metal Gear Rising on my deck. Hopefully I won’t have to wait too long for it

Watched the DF video and it's interesting to see the cutbacks they did with vegetation etc. It's not really noticeable at all in End of YoRHa Edition, because things like vegetation thickness isn't quite essential to the experience anyway - what is important is the stability, and I think they mostly nailed it there. The anti-aliasing improvements is a needed welcome regardless.

Watched the DF video and it's interesting to see the cutbacks they did with vegetation etc. It's not really noticeable at all in End of YoRHa Edition, because things like vegetation thickness isn't quite essential to the experience anyway - what is important is the stability, and I think they mostly nailed it there. The anti-aliasing improvements is a needed welcome regardless.
I actually prefer the new grass over the old grass

Hm... I was like: when does the game open up in terms of meaningfull builds and changes in combat... And start getting to the meat of the story... And suddenly im at the End (a)

How where there any people at all that thought this is the end of the game back then?
If it would be a jrpg we would be about a third in...

To those playing on Nintendo Switch, how is the game? I will be grabbing this at some point soon and wondering what you think of the game?

Handfull of stutters, 2 slowdowns.
Other than that, flawless port.

Game itself: square. Platinum.
Feels like a mix. Depends on your expectations.
To me it feels kinda like ps2-ps3 era AA action Rpgs, but with better graphics.
Slightly padded, but it was fun enough till now that i binged it (12 h in 2 days...well im slightly sick, so cant do much else. Really confortable in handheld mode with headphones, just reduce soundeffect volume to be able to hear the great soundtrack)

How likely is this game to go on sale anytime soon? I think I wanna pick it up but it’s not a priority ‘cause I already have too many other games on my plate right now, but if it’s unlikely to drop below $60 anytime soon I may just get it now anyway… Also, I assume the physical copies probably aren’t so limited that they’re likely to sell out anytime soon, right?

How likely is this game to go on sale anytime soon? I think I wanna pick it up but it’s not a priority ‘cause I already have too many other games on my plate right now, but if it’s unlikely to drop below $60 anytime soon I may just get it now anyway… Also, I assume the physical copies probably aren’t so limited that they’re likely to sell out anytime soon, right?
It’s $40, not $60. Doubt it’ll drop within the next month. Maybe around Christmas.

Quoted by: Tye

There are people that take em, plugged in the whole time perhaps.
Not only that, SD's battery life is awful. I just received mine and just because of battery this is not a system that you take anywhere. Play it at home while it's plugged in.

While on Switch Lite, I can have 4.5 hours of a demanding game like Automata, more than double of SD, thanks to the smaller screen. And it charges much faster.

That is a fact jack! I keep mine docked and okay on my monitor, except for times where I play it in another room if I feel like it. It's probably never going to leave the house unless I plan on bringing it to a friend's house to try it out.

It’s $40, not $60. Doubt it’ll drop within the next month. Maybe around Christmas.
Oops, that’s what I meant to say, lol, I’m just used to new games being $60, lol. Hmm, okay, I’ll think about it then…

Handfull of stutters, 2 slowdowns.
Other than that, flawless port.

Game itself: square. Platinum.
Feels like a mix. Depends on your expectations.
To me it feels kinda like ps2-ps3 era AA action Rpgs, but with better graphics.
Slightly padded, but it was fun enough till now that i binged it (12 h in 2 days...well im slightly sick, so cant do much else. Really confortable in handheld mode with headphones, just reduce soundeffect volume to be able to hear the great soundtrack)
Docked?

Played both.
Portable 720@30 and docked i would say 1080 for the most part... But there was a DF video on this page or the last one, and it goes over all changes and over the performance.
Did you had less drops undocked?

First time playing it after waiting for this port for quite a while, and I love it. I can't wait to see where the plot goes.

Always been meaning to try hard mode, only finished it on normal, but that always felt kinda easy.
I remember why I always switched back from hard, that intro without the savepoints is tough, but I will try to perservere.
Yeah, I had to switch back to Normal for the intro section as well. Once I reached the factory parts of the opening, I got my ass handed to me, especially with the switching camera angle sections (which are sometimes even harder to deal with on the smaller Switch screen, I'd say).

Got the Platinum Trophy and all endings on PS4 back then, only bought one of the achievements.
The Switch version is really nice so far.

Hard mode is poorly made and totally unfair. I enjoy a challenge but it stops being fun when in bullet hell sessions one bullet touches you and you are dead.

My biggest problem with the game was its difficulty calibration. Normal mode is just too easy in a way that messing with upgrades isn't needed at all and makes money, chips and weapons totally irrelevant and hard mode is just frustrating because some sections, moreso the ones outside of the core gameplay mechachins, are ridicously unforgiving. It's not fun to replay 15 minutes of a fight that doesn't allow cutscenes to be jumped just because a single bullet touched you.

Difficulty settings totally made me hate this game.

That's Route B down. Going well with the weapon gathering, we'll see how much I can bear with the upgrades.

Route C's beginning is nuts. It really hits you successively with one intense action set piece and one intense plot beat after another.

Just ordered my copy! Looking forward to playing this, should break up my normal diet of turn-based stuff nicely

Did you had less drops undocked?
They where so infrequent/rare...no idea.
Just not enough to bother me.
As mentioned, DF video covers the technical side great.
Hard mode is poorly made and totally unfair. I enjoy a challenge but it stops being fun when in bullet hell sessions one bullet touches you and you are dead.

My biggest problem with the game was its difficulty calibration. Normal mode is just too easy in a way that messing with upgrades isn't needed at all and makes money, chips and weapons totally irrelevant and hard mode is just frustrating because some sections, moreso the ones outside of the core gameplay mechachins, are ridicously unforgiving. It's not fun to replay 15 minutes of a fight that doesn't allow cutscenes to be jumped just because a single bullet touched you.

Difficulty settings totally made me hate this game.
Yeah... I like a challenge. But to often hard mode feels weirdly balanced and normal to easy for the systems.

SMT5 had this, on normal mobs where to easy, on hard bosses became a chore.

Here i rushed trough route a without much of a problem, doing 2 upgrades and twice adjusting my chip loadout over 12 hours. Thats barely touching the systems, but when you can just spam cheap healing items after a strong hit... (Something that took me 2 hours to realize, i thought its just a fanxy slowdown hitstun effect)

In one of those bullet hell sections i nearly fell asleep because it dragged on forever, but was no chellenge at all (like no hits) till the camera was slightly off axis and the controlls where awfull because of that.

Generally, there where 2 sections where it really draged.
the underwater goliath and the escape from the factory

On the other hand, route 2 feels fine aas of now, not to repetative with the slightly different character gameplay and knowledge how things work.

Aaaaaaand giving up on Ending Y.

I got 81%-ish of the weapons, but then I went ahead and looked up the requirements for one that I haven't got yet and I just felt like I wanted to smash my head into the sofa.

(Weapon requirement spoiler)

So the Emil Heads seems like a pretty straightforward weapon to get, right? Visit his home, etc. There would be a boss fight, sure. But then I read that the boss fight is Level 99, and you have to be "at least 90" to fight him.

Farming materials is one thing, but to do actual level grinding in Automata is by far the worst thing about it.

Ah well, fun while it lasted.

I just finished the tutorial. Quite happy with the performance so far. Really fun and can't wait for more of the story to unfold.

Have unfortunately encountered a few more bugs in Route C. One was this weird line that was drawn between the Pod and an enemy until I hacked another enemy, then it disappeared. Then, a dialogue line got stuck on screen. (Funny enough, it was the line "Whoops!") Sound effects in hacking sequences sometimes glitch out or disappear entirely. and I also encountered an enemy whose health bar got stuck.

Wasn't there a day one update? I've been having the game on in sleep mode constantly, so maybe I didn't download it.

But, i'm still considering deeming this the better version just because of the 1080p docked, and the costumes, they're really cool. (And also that the DLC is included)

Wasn't there a day one update? I've been having the game on in sleep mode constantly, so maybe I didn't download it.
Not sure about an update (haven't received my copy yet), but I think you are prompted to install updates after waking the switch, or maybe it's when you try to go back into the game from the home screen.

I played through this game on PC and I remember everyone saying it was an awful port at the time, but I didn't have any of the issues people were complaining about.

Back
Top Bottom