• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic NieR:Automata The End of YoRHa Edition |ST| Kant, Nietzsche and Auguste, with a slice of katanas

Irene

Soar long!
Pronouns
She/Her
c1c79Ag.jpg

OIlerVu.jpg

LNdxWew.jpg

vjqSTGH.jpg

HN8yIGv.jpg

O20Refj.jpg

m4TUCTp.jpg

gfQEAZx.jpg

0ITmkvp.jpg

rLAV1mT.jpg

8EZILVI.jpg

PHP4pND.jpg

ERhla2k.jpg

BW8ejCj.jpg

6I1BVC1.jpg

RKHiuH2.jpg

67zySFD.jpg

Additional content

The End of YoRHa Edition comes with the previously released DLC, 3C3C1D119440927, which includes challenging arena battles, with some bosses to boot. The game also has a small story, detailing events about a machine known as Platon 1728. The rewards for completion of the DLC are costumes inspired by Automata’s predecessor, NieR:Replicant.

Exclusive content

The End of YoRHa Edition also has content that exclusive to this version, in the form of costumes for the characters, and cosmetic items for the pods, making them look like Mama and Carrier from NieR:Reincarnation.

Physical version

cQFdwxy.jpg

Performance

Docked resolution: 1080p
Docked framerate: 30FPS
Undocked resolution: 720p
Undocked framerate: 30FPS

Comparison

yUzxJsJ.jpg

As has been known since release, NieR:Automata features multiple endings with alphabetical letters tied to them. (Ending A, Ending B, etc) This has caused many to wonder about repeated content, and multiple playthroughs. Below is a run-down of how the endings works, spoiler-tagged for safety’s sake.

The game features a main story campaign, that ends in Ending A. The story needs to be played through again, but with added scenes, content and context. This results in Ending B. Then, another story campaign opens, containing ending C, D and E. Those five are the main story endings.

Last edited:
TEXT ONLY VERSION

Platforms: PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC, Nintendo Switch
Release date (Nintendo Switch): October 6th, 2022
Developer: PlatinumGames
Publisher: Square Enix
Port by: Virtuos
Genre: Action-RPG
File Size: 10.9 GB
Price: $40
Rating: Rated M

Key staff:
Yosuke Saito (Producer)
Yoko Taro (Director)
Takahisa Taura (Senior Game Designer)
Keiichi Okabe (Composer)
Akihiko Yoshida (Character Designer)
Yasuyuki Kaiji (Lead Environment Artist)
Ryo Onishi (Lead Programmer)
Kota Isomura (Motion Designer)

Starring:
Kira Buckland
Kyle McCarley
Cherami Leigh
Alexis Tipton
Colleen Villard
Julie Ann Taylor
Greg Chun
D.C Douglas

Glory to Mankind
NieR:Automata, the Platinum classic steeped in hack-and-slash combat and off-kilter storytelling, has spent the last 5 years on PlayStation, Xbox and PC platforms, and now, the time has come for Switch owners to finally dig into this epic, unique and somewhat weird adventure.

Taking place in a distant future, Automata sets up an all-encompassing battle against hordes of machines. Aliens from distant space has come to take over Earth by invading it with weapons of plate and iron, and the entirety of mankind has been forced to take refuge on the moon.

But not all hope is lost - as a last resort, humanity has established YoRHa, a special-forces unit of highly trained combat androids, who take up the battle against the machines on the surface of Earth.

But it has been long since the battle has made progress, and Automata begins at a point where the battle is in a complete stalemate, a cycle of constant conflict.

More than just action
NieR:Automata has had a reputation for being a game of variations, and rightfully so. The game seamlessly blends various elements of different genres, making for a game experience that constantly steps out of boundaries.

For the vast majority of the time, though, Automata is through-and-through a Platinum-branded action game. Light attacks and heavy attacks are the basis of combat, and a key component of combat is the dodge - you have a button for dodge, and a perfect dodge will make you avoid the attack with a flash.

The game also has an additional combat feature that is lifted from the original NieR - namely a Pod, a sort of sidekick that will fire continuous blasts of energy against an enemy. The pod is also good for advice and analysis regarding your mission. Probably.

But Automata goes deeper than just its flashy combat. It has some light RPG elements to it as well, from gathering and upgrading weapons with materials, to side quests in an open-ended world, and character customization.

The latter comes in the form of plug-in chips, where you have a dedicated space that you can fill in with chips that grants attack boosts and boons. You also have chips for the HUD elements of the game, and even a chip for your OS, but be careful with that - removal means death!

Occasionally, when flying your ship, the game rakes the form of a classic space shooter, from both 2D and 3D perspectives, depending on the situation. The ships plays a lot like the pods, shooting endless streams of laser beams, while also having a missile ability with a cooldown.

The game also have sequences later on where you can “hack” machines in a sort of shooting mini-game. You get transported to an abstract area, where the music transforms into a chiptune version of the original music, and the task is to hack the central core before a timer runs out.

Additionally, Automata also has some sections reminiscent of a pure text adventure. These sections serve the purpose of carrying the narrative forward in an abstract fashion, furthering the plot and deepening the characters.

The cast
In NieR:Automata, you’re thrown right into the heat of the action as you immediately gain control of combat model 2B. She’s stoic, rigid and somewhat stiff, and follows the android’s code of conduct strictly, as she has only her missions in mind. 2B starts the game with a sharp katana and a pod robot that can shoot from a distance.

2B quickly gets accompanied by scanner model 9S, who couldn’t be more different from her. With an optimistic attitude and a boyish charm, he’s nevertheless devoted to the missions and always willing to lend a hand to anyone who needs him.

Looking down at them both from the bunker in space is Command, leader of the YoRHa. She is wholly devoted to serve her purpose as an android commander, making sure that the fight will be won.

Many more characters will cross paths with 2B and 9S as the game goes on, enemies and allies alike.

Port information
NieR: Automata The End of YoRHa Edition is the surprising, but nevertheless appreciated and anticipated, Switch port of the 2017 classic.

The End of YoRHa Edition comes with the previously released DLC, 3C3C1D119440927, which includes challenging arena battles, with some bosses to boot. The game also has a small story, detailing events about a machine known as Platon 1728. The rewards for completion of the DLC are costumes inspired by Automata’s predecessor, NieR:Replicant.

The End of YoRHa Edition also has content that exclusive to this version, in the form of costumes for the characters, and cosmetic items for the pods, making them look like Mama and Carrier from NieR:Reincarnation.

Endings
(See above)

Finally, Please mark your spoilers. This is a game from 2017, but nevertheless, a lot of people are playing it for the first time. Make sure to say what the spoiler is about.

Now, all aboard the feels train!

Last edited:
Got my copy ordered for pickup tomorrow! Need to finish Xenoblade first tho

God I can't wait to finally play this. Still going to hold out for a DF technical analysis for another week but everything else I've read sounds like Virtuous nailed it.

Also I posted this in the "What I Played/Expected/Got thread way back, but it's relevant here:

4M2K1Mu.jpg

So can the game be played off the cart without any downloads? Was there a day 1 update?

I have played this to completion twice now, but do not own a physical copy (played on Xbox and PC GamePass), so here’s where we fix that. Glory to Mankind.

@Irene this is a gorgeous ST!

I am jealous of those who get to experience for the first time. It is another 2017 gem!

I picked up my copy this morning and so far I am very impressed with both the game itself and the quality of the port.

Image quality and framerate are well above par for PS4-to-Switch conversions, and stuff like character models and particle effects avoid that downgraded look you often get. It could pass for a game built with the Switch in mind.

It's too early to assess the game as a whole, but it certainly makes a great first impression and already has me hooked, can't wait to see what it has in store for me.

There was a day 1 update but it was tiny and downloaded in a matter of seconds. Happy answer any other questions I can. :)

This game is a level of brilliant I can't begin to articulate. Yoko Taro is like if you combined Fumito Ueda and Hideaki Anno with a dash of an online shitposter with an anime pfp.

Crossing my fingers it's successful enough Square green lights a Replicant port if they haven't already. The reviews indicate that Virtuos crushed it.

This game is a level of brilliant I can't begin to articulate. Yoko Taro is like if you combined Fumito Ueda and Hideaki Anno with a dash of an online shitposter with an anime pfp.

Crossing my fingers it's successful enough Square green lights a Replicant port if they haven't already. The reviews indicate that Virtuos crushed it.
I’m fully expecting a Replicant announcement next year and if there’s a third game it’ll be PS4/PS5/Switch/PC at minimum. They’re not going to spend resources on a port after 5 years if there wasn’t a long-term plan. The franchise is growing in popularity but it doesn’t have the cultural awareness of a FF or DQ to go PS5/PC only for the next one.

Insanely jealous of anyone jumping in for the first time. I'd be double dipping if my backlog weren't ginormous

Game is an absolute masterpiece

I’m fully expecting a Replicant announcement and if there’s a third game it’ll be PS4/PS5/Switch at minimum. They’re not going to spend resources on a port after 5 years if there wasn’t a long-term plan.

My gut says the next Nier will be PlayStation exclusive, at least for a while, but man I hope you're right.

My gut says the next Nier will be PlayStation exclusive, at least for a while, but man I hope you're right.
I think it depends on how much budget Taro wants / Square is willing to give him. His team typically operates on a smaller budget so I could see them going multiplatform even though they’ve typically been associated with Sony’s systems.

I strongly doubt whatever they do is going to need all the power of the new generation is what I’m trying to get at.

I'm kind of struggling financially so I'm not going to buy this game again. But the port looks to be wonderful and of course the game is amazing.
Happy gaming to anyone here who'll play it for the first time, you're in for a treat.

So i've played it for nearly two hours now, and it's awesome. It runs great on the Switch and the whole aesthetics/UI is mesmerizing. Glad to be finally playing this game

Playing through route B+ of Replicant in the lead up to this (though I played Automata a couple of years ago, Switch version will be a replay).

Really looking forward to returning to Automata since my memory of it is like Replicant but everything is improved and with more budget.

I just got a message saying my order arrived at EB Games - I completely forgot I pre-ordered this one. I vaguely recall them giving me Birthday credit that I was going to expire.

Wish me luck ya'll. I borderline hated my experience with the game after Route A last time. I'll take my time this go around, not rushing Route B, and hopefully not ending up with a broken under-leveled experience in Route C.

NieR:Automata was one of those games I figured I would never get to play so I never gave the game much thought prior to the announcement of the Switch version. Now that we are so close to release I can't wait to pick up my copy tomorrow and give it a spin.

Great ST @Irene, your enthusiasm for Switch ports like this one and 13 Sentinels is infectious.

I just got a message saying my order arrived at EB Games - I completely forgot I pre-ordered this one. I vaguely recall them giving me Birthday credit that I was going to expire.

Wish me luck ya'll. I borderline hated my experience with the game after Route A last time. I'll take my time this go around, not rushing Route B, and hopefully not ending up with a broken under-leveled experience in Route C.
I think I ended up over-levelled by the end of Route A because I was obsessively finishing sidequests to clean up the map so I could tell where I was going. 😅 Ended up just blowing through the latter parts. So similar to Xenoblade, just.. do sidequests, become powerful. 🤘

I think I ended up over-levelled by the end of Route A because I was obsessively finishing sidequests to clean up the map so I could tell where I was going. 😅 Ended up just blowing through the latter parts. So similar to Xenoblade, just.. do sidequests, become powerful. 🤘

So can I just really over-do it in Route A and still mostly rush through B? My issue was I was so under-leveled by end of B, that I had to use the auto-battle (hold one of the R buttons) to progress, otherwise I’d get one shot. Killing enemies also wasn’t granting enough experience to close the gap at all.

By the very end of C it was slightly better where I might survive a couple hits, but not enough to play without the auto-battle

So can I just really over-do it in Route A and still mostly rush through B? My issue was I was so under-leveled by end of B, that I had to use the auto-battle (hold one of the R buttons) to progress, otherwise I’d get one shot. Killing enemies also wasn’t granting enough experience to close the gap at all.

By the very end of C it was slightly better where I might survive a couple hits, but not enough to play without the auto-battle
If you're having trouble, consider equipping Auto-Heal, if you didn't. Most of the game becomes much more of a breeze with it on, especially once you can stack them.

If you're having trouble, consider equipping Auto-Heal, if you didn't. Most of the game becomes much more of a breeze with it on, especially once you can stack them.

I actually didn't find the game hard.

The issue happened because I managed to beat Route B extremely under-leveled due to rushing + zero side content, and the game clearly wasn't built for this to happen. There's no way it was intended that I would be getting 1-2 shot the moment I stepped into Route C. I think I was in the mid 30's, and enemies were 50+. Killing even one trash mobs with the auto-dodge took a very long time, and rewarded little experience. I Googled at the time how to close the level gap, and most 'grinding' spots were within Route A/B. I was essentially locked out by Route C.

Edit: Here's a similar experience from somebody else on Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/app/524220/discussions/0/1484358860943983965/

Last edited:

Yes. Levels carry over, so if you power up in Route A, you'll be in good shape for B and beyond. Plus there are new sidequests available in B so that gives you even more EXP opportunity.

Beautiful. Thanks
You're welcome!

Also, I don't often say this about sidequests because I prefer to follow a more linear narrative, buuut sidequests in Automata really do help to flesh out the story and the world. Once I got the hang of things I found sidequesting to be pretty rewarding from a narrative standpoint. Plus some of them give cute cosmetic accessories (which may or may not have factored into my chasing them)

One of my favorite games of all time. I have no reason to play it on Switch, but it's nice to see another release of it.

Hurry up already, download bar!

I think the top comment on the NieR:Automata T-Shirt video nailed it, Yoko Taro is the only one left in this industry who's still having fun.

NieR:Automata was one of those games I figured I would never get to play so I never gave the game much thought prior to the announcement of the Switch version. Now that we are so close to release I can't wait to pick up my copy tomorrow and give it a spin.

Great ST @Irene, your enthusiasm for Switch ports like this one and 13 Sentinels is infectious.

Thank you, what a nice thing to say! They're both in my Top 10, and I'm always more than happy about situations like this - seeing them reach new audiences, many of which might've waited for a port for a very long time.

My copy was shipped yesterday and should arrive within a few days, can't wait to continue with the game after all this time*.

*Originally played the garbage PC port, which... Well... It was that original terrible PC port...

Confessing something here: I actually prefer 30FPS in games like these, even though it takes some time getting used to in the action sequences. I think things looks weightier and more cinematic.

This is a great port, runs very well, and looks crisp in handheld. My only caveat is that the type-text fade for the text in the menus takes more time to type, it looks very weird. I've also had a glitch with the sword sticking out of 2B's elbow, as well as some pretty nasty pop-in issues.

I've decided to do something this playthrough that I have never done before, play the entire game without auto-dodge. I think I had to resort to it in 2017 during the tail end of the game, and during my later playthroughs, I've just gone with it from the start. My best friend used to tease me a lot for this, with her being one that did near-perfect runs of Bayonetta levels, and me being a complete Platinum noob.

Really excited to play it again on Switch. Double-dips can be so awesome at times, almost like experiencing it anew.

Man i kinda wanna get this as i want to support when devs and pubs actually put in effort in a port. But on the other hand i also kinda want that Google Smartwatch that should open orders/preorders today....

Man i kinda wanna get this as i want to support when devs and pubs actually put in effort in a port.
The struggle is real, isn't it? 😂
I feel the same way and am interested in experiencing first hand how this is running on the Switch. On the other hand, I bought Automata three times already (physical and digital on PS4, then again on Steam), so it's not like I haven't done my part.
Even at 40€ I'm having a hard time justifying this right now, but I really want S-E to see that Switch owners want games like this, and especially with this level of quality.

Last edited:
Amazon wasn't sending mine until Monday so I cancelled the order. I drive past a Walmart and a GameStop on my way home from work; I'll roll the dice and try to get it from one of those places.

Welp, it looks like The Game Collection messed up and hasn't even shipped my copy. This is frustrating.

Oh, the pop-ins were in docked mode. (In the open city area)
Yeah, I can imagine it being way more noticeable on a bigger screen. Not like I'd be playing this one docked anyways. Well, maybe for novelty's sake every now and then.

Well, for whatever reason PayPal isn't letting me buy this, neither on Nintendo's website nor on Switch itself. There goes my impulse purchase, I guess.

The struggle is real, isn't it? 😂
I feel the same way and am interested in experiencing first hand how this is running on the Switch. On the other hand, I bought Automata three times already (physical and digital on PS4, then again on Steam), so it's not like I haven't done my part.
Even at 40€ I'm having a hard time justifying this right now, but I really want S-E to see that Switch owners want games like this, and especially with this level of quality.

Would actually be the first time i would have it. I remember ordering the PS4 version years ago during some Amazon.de sale, but the package was lost and i just got the money back and didn't bother anymore.

Normally, at 40 bucks, it would be an insta-purchase, but i've been looking for a smartwatch for some time now and the Google one appears to fit my taste (as in not coming with a bunch of Samsung shit i don't care about).

That's easily 300+ bucks gone, and there's also the Bayonetta 3 CE and Sparks of Hope coming.

Oh well, maybe if there's budget left at the end of the month.

People who have not yet played this are in for a treat. Enjoy it! Automata deserves all the lofty praise that it gets, what an amazing, amazing experience.

I also have to add a little anecdote. I first played the game a little after Octopath, and shortly after it, I went on to play Yakuza 0. I have an hard time seeing an almost back to back as good as that early 2021 ever again.

Ending W -- check! Hard mode really ain't doing me any favours, lol

I really like the rumble implementation, feels good.

Always go for joke endings along the way!

Aside from trying to nail the game without auto-dodge this playthrough, I'm seriously considering going for ending Y along the way. We'll see if my sanity is tagging along with me.

(For those unfamiliar with the game, it's an absolute pain ending that involves so much material grinding that it's not funny on any level)

I’ve purchased it on Amazon. They charged today but delivery is for Monday? Anyone having same problem as me..in Italy at least?

A nicely done ST, indeed.

I'm certainly looking forward to this one, though I suspect I won't actually get to it for quite some time (I'm working through titles at an incredibly slow pace). Might have to bump it up the list, though.

It's nice to see so much of Platinum's output make its way to the Switch, especially as that includes non-Nintendo titles as well.

I hope we can say the same for Yoko Taro titles soon enough. The first Nier makes sense to bring over, especially after Automata primes an audience. Would be neat to see more of his backlog, too. The Drakengard series would likely garner some interesting

In any case, the somewhat lowered pricepoint should be to the game's benefit, especially given it first released back in 2017.

To think they actually didn't call this the Become as Gods edition.

Also, I don't often say this about sidequests because I prefer to follow a more linear narrative, buuut sidequests in Automata really do help to flesh out the story and the world. Once I got the hang of things I found sidequesting to be pretty rewarding from a narrative standpoint. Plus some of them give cute cosmetic accessories (which may or may not have factored into my chasing them)
These are good attributes for sidequests, really.

Always go for joke endings along the way!

(For those unfamiliar with the game, it's an absolute pain ending that involves so much material grinding that it's not funny on any level)
Is this some sort of disturbing, existential joke to you?

Back
Top Bottom