• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic NieR:Automata The End of YoRHa Edition |ST| Kant, Nietzsche and Auguste, with a slice of katanas

Okay. Has this been mentioned yet or is it just ne? This port has some horribly obviously compressed audio for voice acting and sound effects. It's very distracting.

Edit: I just compared it to my friends PC version using the same speakers; it's just how the audio in the game is in general. No big deal I guess.

Last edited:
I have to put it out there that this game probably has my favourite cast ever - Kira, Cherami and Kyle are all outstanding in this game. Kyle especially gives it his all towards the end.

Also tried the DLC, but honestly I thought the first part of it (the arena) was super dull, not to mention that it's "recommended" to be level 60 or something.

Not sure about an update (haven't received my copy yet), but I think you are prompted to install updates after waking the switch, or maybe it's when you try to go back into the game from the home screen.

I played through this game on PC and I remember everyone saying it was an awful port at the time, but I didn't have any of the issues people were complaining about.

Hm, tried both. Nothing happened.

The delivery service claimed an addressed package, which included the game, was delivered but it was not. It's not even my signature that got assigned to it.

What a bunch of amateurs.

3 crashed today . all 3 after installing the dlc for what its worth.

Haching is OP.
Okay. Has this been mentioned yet or is it just ne? This port has some horribly obviously compressed audio for voice acting and sound effects. It's very distracting.

Edit: I just compared it to my friends PC version using the same speakers; it's just how the audio in the game is in general. No big deal I guess.
Im fine with the voices, but the sound effects kinda make it hard in battles to listen, so i reduced the volume for effects

Finally started the game. Didn't realise this game features bullet hell lol.

I'm also getting hit a lot, this going to take a while to get used to. I keep pressing B to dodge but that's a jump button. Freaking MH lol.

Finally started the game. Didn't realise this game features bullet hell lol.

I'm also getting hit a lot, this going to take a while to get used to. I keep pressing B to dodge but that's a jump button. Freaking MH lol.
There's full controller customization in the settings. Personally I set dodge to ZL, shoot to ZR, pod special to L, camera reset to R, and lock on to clicking the R stick.

Yeah, I had to switch back to Normal for the intro section as well. Once I reached the factory parts of the opening, I got my ass handed to me, especially with the switching camera angle sections (which are sometimes even harder to deal with on the smaller Switch screen, I'd say).

Hard mode is poorly made and totally unfair. I enjoy a challenge but it stops being fun when in bullet hell sessions one bullet touches you and you are dead.

My biggest problem with the game was its difficulty calibration. Normal mode is just too easy in a way that messing with upgrades isn't needed at all and makes money, chips and weapons totally irrelevant and hard mode is just frustrating because some sections, moreso the ones outside of the core gameplay mechachins, are ridicously unforgiving. It's not fun to replay 15 minutes of a fight that doesn't allow cutscenes to be jumped just because a single bullet touched you.

Difficulty settings totally made me hate this game.
Can you switch back and forth between normal and hard?

Awesome. No penalty or anything it sounds like?
Not that I know of, no. It's literally just there as an option so that people can have more (or less) of a challenge.
I've been using it rather frequently myself throughout my multiple Automata playthroughs, thanks (or rather due) to the in my opinion poor damage scaling.
So, yeah, make deliberate use of the option if you feel like it!

Not that I know of, no. It's literally just there as an option so that people can have more (or less) of a challenge.
I've been using it rather frequently myself throughout my multiple Automata playthroughs, thanks (or rather due) to the in my opinion poor damage scaling.
So, yeah, make deliberate use of the option if you feel like it!
That’s great to know, thanks so much for the answer!

Hello everyone! Hope you are all having a great night!

I have never beat Nier Automata - I got it digitally for my Xbox years ago, but just never got past the first hour for some reason.

I decided to grab this on Switch to give it a second shake (physical copy!) and oh my goodness, it’s finally clicking! I don’t know if it’s the portable nature or what - but this game is just amazing on the OLED with headphones in. I’m over an hour in and just finally feeling this game, it that makes sense.

That’s great to know, thanks so much for the answer!
You're welcome! I hope you'll have a great time with the game, and feel free to ask if something's unclear!
Hello everyone! Hope you are all having a great night!

I have never beat Nier Automata - I got it digitally for my Xbox years ago, but just never got past the first hour for some reason.

I decided to grab this on Switch to give it a second shake (physical copy!) and oh my goodness, it’s finally clicking! I don’t know if it’s the portable nature or what - but this game is just amazing on the OLED with headphones in. I’m over an hour in and just finally feeling this game, it that makes sense.
I had this happen with a bunch of games over these past few years, where I couldn't really get into them on my PS, but ended up totally "getting" them on Switch. Might just be the more personal nature of the device itself?!
That's to say, I totally get what you mean! Enjoy!!

Finished the game last night.

It left me feeling as I've felt before when finishing it, like I've been ran over with a truck, half devastated, half filled with hope. Just pure intensity across all gameplay and story spectrums, and something truly extraordinary in the world of gaming. This is a pure and immaculate work of art as far as I'm concerned, and it has been an absolute pleasure to revisit it on Switch.

A great port, with some room for improvement, but overall a fantastic effort from Virtuos. Works great in handheld, and really keeps up with the action. It's a shame I didn't like the DLC much, but the costumes are awesome.

Endings I got: A B C D E J T U W

I literally can't see this image without choking up a bit: (Final story ending spoiler)

OX6PJKH.png

It left me feeling as I've felt before when finishing it, like I've been ran over with a truck, half devastated, half filled with hope. Just pure intensity across all gameplay and story spectrums, and something truly extraordinary in the world of gaming. This is a pure and immaculate work of art as far as I'm concerned, and it has been an absolute pleasure to revisit it on Switch.

A great port, with some room for improvement, but overall a fantastic effort from Virtuos. Works great in handheld, and really keeps up with the action. It's a shame I didn't like the DLC much, but the costumes are awesome.

I literally can't see this image without choking up a bit: (Final story ending spoiler)

OX6PJKH.png
Do you still need an online connection for ending E?

Quick question for those who have played the game before. If I complete a sidequest in route A, will I have to do it again in route B? Wondering if I can save some for the 2nd run through, or if its worth doing them first route?

OX6PJKH.png
I remember getting the A ending on xbox and starting a new game where I would control the male character. Does it get better?!

I really do not understand why people lime this game so much….

Quick question for those who have played the game before. If I complete a sidequest in route A, will I have to do it again in route B? Wondering if I can save some for the 2nd run through, or if its worth doing them first route?

Some sidequests are exclusive to Route A, but if I recall correctly (not 100% sure since I mostly do sidequests in Route B) everything you finished in Route A carries over to Route B. However, an unfinished side quest will reset.

Does it get better?!

It does get better. Route A is just the setup, Route B is adding needed context, but it's in Route C where things really get going. Which is a long time into the game, so it does require patience. I can see why that is a letdown for many.

But if you didn't vibe with the characters/story at all during Route A, it's maybe not a game for you.

not gonna lie. no autosave is a pretty big negative for me nowadays.

EDIT: guess I kinda get it now with the save stations. There seem to be enough stations every few minutes. Not as bad as I thought at first glance.

Some sidequests are exclusive to Route A, but if I recall correctly (not 100% sure since I mostly do sidequests in Route B) everything you finished in Route A carries over to Route B. However, an unfinished side quest will reset.

It does get better. Route A is just the setup, Route B is adding needed context, but it's in Route C where things really get going. Which is a long time into the game, so it does require patience. I can see why that is a letdown for many.

But if you didn't vibe with the characters/story at all during Route A, it's maybe not a game for you.
I really like what i played until end A. But that end was so bad that I thought .... I wont play everything again just to get some more context.... I always had the impression that the people on the moon don't exist and the person who is giving you the orders is the bad guy. Will something develop in that sense?

I really like what i played until end A. But that end was so bad that I thought .... I wont play everything again just to get some more context.... I always had the impression that the people on the moon don't exist and the person who is giving you the orders is the bad guy. Will something develop in that sense?
That was my impression as well.

I also was taken back by how "bad" the ending one was, but it sets so much up (mechanics, gameplay, collectibles" that ending the game there makes 0 sense.
yes.
that gets attention.
Like, why would they have such a prominent spot for A2 when she only apears once as a traitor?

during route 2 some of it gets revealed,but essentially the second part of the story starts with route 3.

Realized it was rude to jump in the thread and have my first post be a hot take, sorry about that

Last edited:
That was my impression as well.

I also was taken back by how "bad" the ending one was, but it sets so much up (mechanics, gameplay, collectibles" that ending the game there makes 0 sense.
yes.
that gets attention.

during route 2 some of it gets revealed,but essentially the second part of the story starts with route 3.
Okay... my birthday was last week.. i'll try it again and think that A ending is just a bad antecipated credits rolling down. I'll go down until end C.

Okay... my birthday was last week.. i'll try it again and think that A ending is just a bad antecipated credits rolling down. I'll go down until end C.
Tip for route 2:
Hacking in battles (especially boss battles) is OP, and if you think about it you will have a clue where the path will deviate from route A.

Dont hold yourself up with sidequests or trash mobs if you dont feel like it and want the story to progress. And on normal i at least dont feel like the additional chips/items/money is needed.

So, as I understand, in order to get all nuances of the plot, the game has to be "finished" three times, correct?

Is the network features not working for anyone? I have yet to run into a single android body outside of the “tutorial” ones before the desert boss. I’ve cleared up to the amusement park and not a single body anywhere. On ps4 I can’t even go 10 steps without running into them.

Kinda worried that something is messed up because the “connecting to network” message constantly pops up. Don’t remember that being the case on ps4.

How is the performance and resolution in the open world segments, are they steady 1080p30fps? Going to sell my PS4 copy and get this version down the line

Is the network features not working for anyone? I have yet to run into a single android body outside of the “tutorial” ones before the desert boss. I’ve cleared up to the amusement park and not a single body anywhere. On ps4 I can’t even go 10 steps without running into them.

Kinda worried that something is messed up because the “connecting to network” message constantly pops up. Don’t remember that being the case on ps4.
It’s a little spotty, yes. I haven’t run into any corpses either other than my own lol.

Four iirc. But it’s a little simpler than that. The third “ending” can quickly be replayed to get the fourth (and fifth) right away.
Thanks! I will look into it to see what needs to be done.

I wish they had implemented Route B in another way. Replaying a lot of missions just wasn't a lot of fun for me and I just found myself running past a lot of enemies to get to the ending quickly, save for in the parts that were actually new, which were great.

The third part of the game has been nothing but spectacular so far, though.

Just finished the amusement park area, things are really weird and mysterious. I have no idea where this story is going. Colour me intrigued.

Combat wise, I feel I'm just perfect doging and mashing lol. The bosses are kinda ridiculous in terms of bullet hell. Like damn, I get hit a lot lol.

Very interesting and impressive that between a reconstructed 1080p (which is well done, I didn't notice until I was told) and the addition of anti-aliasing, a case can be made that the Switch version offers better image quality than the PS4/Xbone versions.
The cuts seem well judged, as someone playing for the first time on Switch, I would never have noticed many of them without Digital Foundry's analysis.

Having played through the first venture out into the desert, things are getting interesting.
The music is really something, it has a very distinctive flavour and goes hard even in parts where most games would settle for something more nondescript. Now that I've gotten the hang of it, combat feels great, and the plug-in chip system is cool.
I also like the lonely, minimalist art direction, kinda reminds me of Team Ico's games.
Can't wait to see where it goes from here. :)

Yall help me out here, what's "reconstructed" 1080p? Is it like some special form of upscaling?

Just finished the amusement park area, things are really weird and mysterious. I have no idea where this story is going. Colour me intrigued.

Combat wise, I feel I'm just perfect doging and mashing lol. The bosses are kinda ridiculous in terms of bullet hell. Like damn, I get hit a lot lol.
Yeah, you definitely notice rather quickly that the encounters are more hack 'n' slashy than those in Bayonetta or even Astral Chain, which are much more tightly designed. Automata's simply aren't as focused on the core mechanics, but more about spectacle (with the bosses in particular).

Yeah, you definitely notice rather quickly that the encounters are more hack 'n' slashy than those in Bayonetta or even Astral Chain, which are much more tightly designed. Automata's simply aren't as focused on the core mechanics, but more about spectacle (with the bosses in particular).
I'll definitely admit that, the combat dosen't really feel amazing compared to Bayonetta and Astral Chain, the difference is actually insane.

I'll definitely admit that, the combat dosen't really feel amazing compared to Bayonetta and Astral Chain, the difference is actually insane.
So, let's talk about Nier Replicant next! 😂
(It's even simpler in terms of gameplay.)

I wouldn't really recommend the Nier games to someone looking for mechanical depth. They're 99% about the world building, the plot/story, characters, underlying motifs and themes; the combat merely is a tool for these other aspects, and it definitely shows, even if Automata was a big step up over Replicant already.

I'd go as far as saying that every single gameplay mechanic in both Automata and Replicant is at least solid to good in its implementation, but that they basically stop there and never go beyond this base level. Which is fine, given what these games are going for, but obviously might make some people lose interest. There are many, many games out there that outshine Nier in terms of pure mechanical complexity and interaction, though, with regards to basically every single mechanic there is (action combat, hacking, shmup sections, puzzles [if you want to call them such], etc.)

So, let's talk about Nier Replicant next! 😂
(It's even simpler in terms of gameplay.)

I wouldn't really recommend the Nier games to someone looking for mechanical depth. They're 99% about the world building, the plot/story, characters, underlying motifs and themes; the combat merely is a tool for these other aspects, and it definitely shows, even if Automata was a big step up over Replicant already.

I'd go as far as saying that every single gameplay mechanic in both Automata and Replicant is at least solid to good in its implementation, but that they basically stop there and never go beyond this base level. Which is fine, given what these games are going for, but obviously might make some people lose interest. There are many, many games out there that outshine Nier in terms of pure mechanical complexity and interaction, though, with regards to basically every single mechanic there is (action combat, hacking, shmup sections, puzzles [if you want to call them such], etc.)
There where puzzles?

While im fine with a game thats story/world first not throwing every ounce of perfection in its gameplay...
I feel like the game reuses content to much for its gameplay depth.
Route b should have been shortened somehow. Since the hacking will be used for the rest of the game relying on it for the most part to get you through the b route was a bad decision on my opinion, and the recontextualization of 9s would have worked in a shorter path about the same.
Or just add another biome for the last path or so...

Still, great game. 8,5-9 from me. Even with a ton of flaws.

(And after dlc installation a lot of crashes an half hour after my last save...)

Well, talking about Replicant here, where you had to push around some boxes 😂 "puzzles", if you will~
Oh...yeah, i found 1 in automata.

Heck, for how much he wants to suprise and doesnt want a game to play like the last one, automata feels from structure/gameplay kinda like nier 1 but properly designed from all i gathered.

The endings, the story break where you afterwards revisit places, the mashy action gameplay with bullet hell, heck, the ending where it asks you to delet your file

I’m playing the game. Even if the textures are bland and muddy, I don’t notice it. The game is crisp and beautiful to look at

Yall help me out here, what's "reconstructed" 1080p? Is it like some special form of upscaling?
Yeah, afaik it's literally just that, a more sophisticated/specific upscaling method. Much like Sony first party games using stuff like Checkerboard Rendering, reconstruction techniques reconstruct (duh) image information based on prior frames and/or neighbouring pixels so to "fill in the gaps", if you will, providing additional image information for the engine to be able to target higher resolutions with less actual computing needed compared to native rendering, as the actual 3D rendering resolution is lower than what's being achieved by reconstruction in the end. Automata might render at 900p for instance, but reconstructs the image up to 1080p output resolution.
Paired with a solid AA solution (as it is seemingly used for this port), the results can be pretty good.

Edit: one might also say that it's basically similar to DLSS in theory, but without all the fancy AI computing; instead it's more static and thus less powerful/much more limited.

Edit: one might also say that it's basically similar to DLSS in theory, but without all the fancy AI computing; instead it's more static and thus less powerful/much more limited.
Oh okay, yeah that's kinda what I was wondering, if it was maybe something like TAA. Awesome that so many of these options are becoming available, and that devs are finding these software solutions for the current Switch (even some Nintendo devs themselves), almost like it'll be that much more natural a fit when the next one is built for DLSS.

It’s a little spotty, yes. I haven’t run into any corpses either other than my own lol.

Played more today and I hate to say it but the network features are completely broken and don’t work. I made it to Pascal’s village today on both ps4 and switch (new save on ps4).

Comparing between Switch and PS4. On PS4 from a fresh load into the game after about a minute there are usually 4-5 bodies that will load into the game. On Switch I am getting zero bodies. I’ve waited up to 10 minutes and nothing is loading in. It’s like the game refuses to connect to the servers. I cannot find a single android body anywhere.

I’m really worried about the true ending now. If the game is busted and isn’t connecting to servers at all that is bad news.

Virtous needs to look into this and potentially patch it. Because right now the online stuff simply doesn’t work. And I don’t think it’s from a lack of players either because this game is number 6 on the NA eshop right now. It’s selling decently at least.

Back
Top Bottom