• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sports NFL |ST| Offseason

Apologies for my interloping, but I’m super curious about something.

Last week, a rugby player named Louis Rees-Zammit from Wales announced he was quitting rugby to try and make the NFL. It was HUGE news here in Wales, like lead story, front page stuff. LRZ’s maybe the biggest sports star we’ve produced in a generation and he’s gone.

Did it register at all in the USA? Did any of you know this happened? The only Americans I’ve heard talk about it were those who follow rugby so it’s a kinda biased sample. Curious if it made waves, like at all, in the US.

Last week, a rugby player named Louis Rees-Zammit from Wales announced he was quitting rugby to try and make the NFL. It was HUGE news here in Wales, like lead story, front page stuff. LRZ’s maybe the biggest sports star we’ve produced in a generation and he’s gone.

Did it register at all in the USA? Did any of you know this happened? The only Americans I’ve heard talk about it were those who follow rugby so it’s a kinda biased sample. Curious if it made waves, like at all, in the US.
This is the first time I've heard this. Virtually no Americans follow rugby news, I imagine.

who's he gonna play for

You know if you follow rugby (very rare over here) or if you're really plugged in to deeper NFL news, which isn't much more common.

I heard about it last week, but I only knew that he was a huge deal in rugby (from the tiny bit I read) and not much else. I had already forgotten about it before you posted, to be honest. But I did see it.

who's he gonna play for
We won't know till at least March. The IPP (international player pathway) rules have changed a bit now that it's grown some, all 32 teams will be allowed to sign one of the 16 available international players as a bonus player on their practice squad after IPP training camp. There hasn't really been details on how that process will work, so I assume it'll be similar to free agency; no draft, teams will be free to just call players and see if they're interested.

You know if you follow rugby (very rare over here) or if you're really plugged in to deeper NFL news, which isn't much more common.

I heard about it last week, but I only knew that he was a huge deal in rugby (from the tiny bit I read) and not much else. I had already forgotten about it before you posted, to be honest. But I did see it.
That makes sense, and is kinda what I expected to hear. As you say, he was a big deal in rugby and for added drama he announced it twenty minutes before the Welsh national team's squad for the new season was named.

There's been a lot of talk around it in rugby circles, most agreed based on players who tried to cross over in the past it won't work out and he'll be back in a few years, but the point's also been made he's almost certainly the best rugby player and best athlete to ever make the rugby -> NFL jump, so if it's gonna work out for anyone...

Thanks for engaging me guys, appreciate it!

We won't know till at least March. The IPP (international player pathway) rules have changed a bit now that it's grown some, all 32 teams will be allowed to sign one of the 16 available international players as a bonus player on their practice squad after IPP training camp. There hasn't really been details on how that process will work, so I assume it'll be similar to free agency; no draft, teams will be free to just call players and see if they're interested.
Oh interesting. When we got Mailata, we didn't sign him to the practice squad. We just flat out drafted him in the seventh round.

Oh interesting. When we got Mailata, we didn't sign him to the practice squad. We just flat out drafted him in the seventh round.
IPP regulations have changed a bit throughout the years. I might be wrong and all 16 this year are actually draft eligible; but either way, if you pick one up, you should be allowed one extra spot on your off-season roster (91, up from 90). If they don't make your final 53, they can be an extra spot on your practice squad, but you might still have to waive them like any other player first.

Touchdown Tom is replacing Greg Olsen at Fox Sports and getting paid $37.5m a year to do so.

I love Tom but that is insane.
I hate Tom and also think it's insane. I'm not sure he has the charisma to pull it off but I should probably know better than to doubt him.

Touchdown Tom is replacing Greg Olsen at Fox Sports and getting paid $37.5m a year to do so.

I love Tom but that is insane.
To put into perspective how insane that is, among the current starting QBs, Tom Brady gets paid more as much or more on a yearly average than:

-Aaron Rodgers
-Derek Carr
-Kirk Cousins
-Jared Goff
...among others

Brady's AAV is more valuable than CJ Stroud's entire rookie contract, and it's to talk about football.

Happy game day all - I'm not super into the actual game this year, but it's still going to be a nice small party with friends. Hard to go wrong with chips and queso!

I know literally nothing about football, but I’ve always wanted to be invited to a Super Bowl party for the snax. Maybe next year

Won’t lie, I completely forgot the game was today. Shows how little interest I have in this matchup.

Hope the 49ers get routed.

Republicans won't even make it through kickoff without bawling their eyes out about the Black National Anthem being sung.
I stay out of right-wing circles, but from what little I’ve been exposed to on Imgur in relation to the NFL (and in general, really), they haven’t stopped bawling for weeks, if not months. And really, there’s only one appropriate response:

3-AD28-B27-5183-446-F-A03-D-430-CEC859-E4-C.jpg

I stay out of right-wing circles, but from what little I’ve been exposed to on Imgur in relation to the NFL (and in general, really), they haven’t stopped bawling for weeks, if not months. And really, there’s only one appropriate response:

3-AD28-B27-5183-446-F-A03-D-430-CEC859-E4-C.jpg
I used to work with a right winger who went down every culture war rabbit hole. I would certainly enjoy a Chiefs win if it meant he was miserable.

Rooting for the Chiefs today. Philly homer so I gotta show love to Andy Reid. Plus I don't think that Niners O-line can hold up to the Chiefs' front. Detroit and Green Bay were getting pressure all day, and their defenses aren't as stout as Kansas City's. Hoping for a good game regardless.

Enjoy the game, halftime show, and all the snacks Fami!

We have a couple coming over and I'm pretty sure we'll have more leftovers today than we did after Thanksgiving.

Wow, solid defensive stand for the niners. aside from that fumble they’ve been in control early

Back
Top Bottom