• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News New Good-Feel game! Otogi Katsugeki Mameda no Bakeru: Oracle Saitarou no Sainan!!

I love everything I'm seeing about this game, the way Bakeru moves, the somersaults, vaults, and shapeshifting...it looks like the kind of 3D platformer we'd get back in sixth gen, but much more polished.

I needed Bakeru to fight all the festival people when they were blocking off Shibuya on Respect for the Aged day

At one point, someone has to launch a Kickstarter to fund the localization of the game.

It is ridiculously beautiful and seems a TON of fun.
If Ys VIII costed Falcom 10.000 bucks to be translated in french, I donโ€™t think a 3D plateformer have much more text than Ys VIII.

I miss games like this. Far too uncommon these days.

I also just miss Goemon.

If this game doesn't get/can't find a western publisher that'd be a little heartbreaking.

I love everything I'm seeing about this game, the way Bakeru moves, the somersaults, vaults, and shapeshifting...it looks like the kind of 3D platformer we'd get back in sixth gen, but much more polished.

I needed Bakeru to fight all the festival people when they were blocking off Shibuya on Respect for the Aged day
This!! Except we were at USJ ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜‚

New interview for Famitsu
  • Tadanori Tsukawaki, director of "Monkey Barrels", repeats in the same role on "Bakeru".
  • It is GF's first 3D action game, which was a challenge in itself. They made a lot of effort studying previous games of this type.
  • They did a lot of focus on character movement, and from there design the levels.
  • Most of the development was carried out by new GF's Osaka office. It is their first game.
  • While "Monkey Barrels" can be considered a difficult game, "Bakeru" is designed to be played by everyone.
  • No news on a possible location outside Japan.

y_652e02935b9fa.webp

This part of the interview caught my eye:
โ€•โ€•ใงใฏใ€้–‹็™บใซใ‚ใŸใฃใฆใ€ๅคงไบ‹ใซใ—ใŸ็‚นใ‚’ๆ•™ใˆใฆใใ ใ•ใ„ใ€‚

ๅกš่„‡่‡ชๅˆ†ใŸใกใฏใ‚ขใ‚ฏใ‚ทใƒงใƒณใ‚ฒใƒผใƒ ใ‚’ใšใฃใจไฝœใฃใฆใใŸใฎใงใ€ โ€œใƒ—ใƒฌใ‚คใƒคใƒผใŒๅ‹•ใ‹ใ—ใŸใจใใซๆฐ—ๆŒใกใŒใ„ใ„ใ‚‚ใฎใ‚’โ€ใจใ„ใ†ใฎใŒใ„ใกใฐใ‚“ๅคงไบ‹ใ ใจใ„ใ†ใฎใฏใ€่‚Œๆ„Ÿ่ฆšใงใ‚ใ‹ใฃใฆใ„ใŸใ‚“ใงใ™ใญใ€‚ใใฎใŸใ‚ใซใ€ๆœ€ๅˆใ‹ใ‚‰ๆ“ไฝœใ‚ญใƒฃใƒฉใ‚ฏใ‚ฟใƒผใฎๆŒ™ๅ‹•ใ‚’ใ—ใฃใ‹ใ‚Šไฝœใ‚Š่พผใ‚€ใ“ใจใ‚’ๆ„่ญ˜ใ—ใพใ—ใŸใ€‚

ใŸใ ใ€้–‹็™บๅฝ“ๅˆใฏใƒใƒผใƒ ใƒกใƒณใƒใƒผใŒๆƒใฃใฆใ„ใชใใฆใ€ใƒขใƒ‡ใƒฉใƒผใ‚‚ใ„ใพใ›ใ‚“ใงใ—ใŸใฎใงใ€ใƒ–ใƒญใƒƒใ‚ฏใƒขใƒ‡ใƒซใงใƒ€ใƒƒใ‚ทใƒฅใ€ใ‚ธใƒฃใƒณใƒ—ใ€ๆ”ปๆ’ƒใ™ใ‚‹ใ€ใจใ„ใฃใŸๅŸบๆœฌ็š„ใชใƒขใƒผใ‚ทใƒงใƒณใ‚’ใจใซใ‹ใไฝœใ‚Š่พผใฟใ€ใใ“ใ‹ใ‚‰ใƒฌใƒ™ใƒซใƒ‡ใ‚ถใ‚คใƒณใฎๆ–นๅ‘ใ‚’ๅบƒใ’ใฆใ„ใใพใ—ใŸใ€‚

โ€•โ€•ใ‚ขใ‚ฏใ‚ทใƒงใƒณใฎๆฅฝใ—ใ•ใฎๆœฌ่ณชใงใ‚ใ‚‹ใ€่งฆใฃใฆใฎๆฐ—ๆŒใกใ‚ˆใ•ใ‚’ใพใšใฏ็ชใ่ฉฐใ‚ใŸใฎใงใ™ใญใ€‚

ๅกš่„‡ใใ†ใงใ™ใญใ€‚ใ“ใ‚Œใใ‚‰ใ„ๅ…ฅๅŠ›ใ™ใ‚‹ใจใ“ใฎใใ‚‰ใ„่ตฐใ‚‹ใจใ‹ใ€ใ“ใฎใใ‚‰ใ„ใฎๅๅฟœ้€ŸๅบฆใŒใ„ใ„ใจใ‹ใ€ใ‚ธใƒฃใƒณใƒ—ใ—ใŸใ‚‰ใ“ใฎใใ‚‰ใ„ใฎ้ซ˜ใ•ใ ใจๅˆถๅพกใ—ใ‚„ใ™ใ„ใฎใงใฏใชใ„ใ‹ใจใ‹ใ€‚ๆœฌๅฝ“ใซๆœ€ๅˆใ‹ใ‚‰ๅ‹‰ๅผทใชใฎใงใ€ใจใซใ‹ใใ„ใ‚ใ„ใ‚ใจใƒ†ใ‚นใƒˆใ—ใชใŒใ‚‰ไฝœใ‚ŠไธŠใ’ใฆใ„ใใพใ—ใŸใ€‚

ๅฎŸ้š›ใฎใจใ“ใ‚ใ€2Dใจ3Dใจใงใ€ๅ‹•ใ‹ใ—ใŸใจใใฎๆฐ—ๆŒใกใ‚ˆใ•ใฎๆœฌ่ณชใฏใ€ใŸใถใ‚“ใ„ใฃใ—ใ‚‡ใ ใจๅƒ•ใฏๆ€ใฃใฆใ„ใพใ™ใ€‚ใŸใ ใ€2DใŒXใจYใฎไบŒ่ปธใ ใฃใŸใฎใซๅฏพใ—ใฆใ€3DใฏXYZใฎไธ‰่ปธใซใชใ‚‹ใ€‚ใใฎใŸใ‚ใ€2Dใงใฏ้Šใณใซใชใ‚‹ใ‚ˆใ†ใชไป•ๆŽ›ใ‘ใ‚‚ใ€3Dใซใ™ใ‚‹ใจใ™ใ”ใ้›ฃใ—ใใชใ‚‹ใจใ„ใ†ใ“ใจใŒๅพ€ใ€…ใซใ—ใฆใ‚ใ‚‹ใ‚“ใงใ™ใ€‚ใใ†ใ„ใ†่ชฟๆ•ดใ‚’ใ€ๆœ€ๅˆใฏใšใฃใจใ—ใฆใ„ใพใ—ใŸใ€‚่›ญๅญใŒไธๅฎ‰ใซใชใ‚‹ใใ‚‰ใ„๏ผˆ็ฌ‘๏ผ‰ใ€‚ใ€Œใ„ใค็ตตใŒๅ…ฅใ‚‹ใฎ๏ผŸใ€ใจใ„ใ†ๆฐ—ๆŒใกใงใฏใ‚ใฃใŸใ‹ใจๆ€ใ„ใพใ™ใ€‚

โ€•โ€•๏ผˆ็ฌ‘๏ผ‰ใ€‚

ๅกš่„‡ใจใฏใ„ใˆใ€ๆ นใฃๅญใฎ้ƒจๅˆ†ใŒใ—ใฃใ‹ใ‚Šใงใใฆใ„ใชใ„ใจ้‡็”ฃใ‚‚ใงใใชใ„ใฎใงใ€ๅœŸๅฐไฝœใ‚Šใซใฏใจใซใ‹ใๆ™‚้–“ใ‚’ใ‹ใ‘ใพใ—ใŸใ€‚

่›ญๅญใ‚„ใฏใ‚Šใ€ใ‚ขใ‚ฏใ‚ทใƒงใƒณใ‚ฒใƒผใƒ ใฏใ€ๆ“ไฝœใฎๆ‰‹่งฆใ‚Šๆ„ŸใŒๅคงไบ‹ใงใ™ใฎใงใ€ใใ“ใฏๅกš่„‡ใŸใกใŒใ“ใ ใ‚ใฃใฆใใ‚Œใพใ—ใŸใ€‚

ๅกš่„‡ใใฎ้Ž็จ‹ใงใ€ไธ–ใซๅ‡บใฆใ„ใ‚‹ๆ•ฐใ€…ใฎๅไฝœ3Dใ‚ฟใ‚คใƒˆใƒซใ‚’ใƒ—ใƒฌใ‚คใ—ใฆใ€็ ”็ฉถใ‚’้‡ใญใŸใ‚Šใ‚‚ใ—ใพใ—ใŸใ€‚ใŸใจใˆใฐใ€โ€œใ“ใฎใ‚ญใƒฃใƒฉใ‚ฏใ‚ฟใƒผใŒๆœ€้ซ˜้€Ÿใซ้”ใ™ใ‚‹ๆ™‚้–“ใฏไฝ•็ง’ใ‹โ€ใจใ„ใฃใŸใ“ใจใ‚‚ๆ•ฐๅ€คๅŒ–ใ—ใŸใ‚Šใ—ใพใ—ใŸใญใ€‚

โ€•โ€•็ทปๅฏ†ใช็ ”็ฉถใ‚’้‡ใญใŸใฎใงใ™ใญใ€‚

ๅกš่„‡ใ“ใ‚Œใฏใƒใƒผใƒ ใ‚นใ‚ฟใƒƒใƒ•ๅ…จๅ“กใงๅ–ใ‚Š็ต„ใ‚“ใ ใฎใงใ™ใŒใ€ใใ‚Œใฏ็ตๆžœใจใ—ใฆใจใฆใ‚‚ใ‚ˆใใฆใ€่จ€่ชžใŒๆ•ดใ†ใจใ„ใ†ใ‹ใ€ใชใ‚“ใจใชใๅ…ฑ้€š่จ€่ชžใŒใงใใ‚‹ใ‚“ใงใ™ใญใ€‚ใ‚‚ใกใ‚ใ‚“ใ€ๆ„Ÿใ˜ใ‹ใŸใฏไบบใใ‚Œใžใ‚Œใงใ™ใŒใ€ใชใ‚“ใจใชใๅ…ฑ้€šใ—ใŸใƒขใƒŽใฎ่ฆ‹ใ‹ใŸใŒใงใใ‚‹ใ‚“ใงใ™ใ€‚

ใใฎ้Ž็จ‹ใงใ€โ€œ่‡ชๅˆ†ใŸใกใชใ‚‰ใงใฏใฎ3Dใ‚ขใ‚ฏใ‚ทใƒงใƒณใฎใŠใ‚‚ใ—ใ‚ใ•โ€ใฎๆ–นๅ‘ๆ€งใ‚‚่ฆ‹ใˆใฆใใพใ—ใŸใ€‚

ใใ‚Œใ‚‰ใ€ไฝœๆˆใ—ใฆใใŸใƒ™ใƒผใ‚นใซใ€ไผ็”ปๅฝ“ๅˆใ‹ใ‚‰่€ƒใˆใฆใ„ใŸใ€ๅณใฎๆ”ปๆ’ƒ๏ผˆๅณๆ‰“ใก๏ผ‰ใ€ๅทฆใฎๆ”ปๆ’ƒ๏ผˆๅทฆใฎๆ‰“ใก๏ผ‰ใ€ไธกๆ‰‹ใฎๆ”ปๆ’ƒใ€ใจใ„ใ†ไป•ๆง˜ใ‚’่ผ‰ใ›ใฆใ„ใใพใ—ใŸใ€‚ใใฎๅ‹•ไฝœใŒๅคช้ผ“ใ‚’ใƒขใƒใƒผใƒ•ใซใ—ใŸใ‚‰็›ธๆ€งใŒใ‚ˆใ•ใใ†ใ ใจใชใ‚Šใ€็‹ธใฎ่…นๅคช้ผ“ใงใ€Œใ ใฃใŸใ‚‰ใ‚ฟใƒŒใ‚ญใ ๏ผใ€ใจใ€‚
Famitsu: So then, tell us about the important points from development.

Tsukawaki: We've been making Action games for a long time, so we had firsthand experience that the most important thing was to make something that "feels good when the player moves it." To do that, we started by carefully crafting the behavior of the controlled character.

However, at the start we didn't have all the team members and no [polygon] modeller, so we created fundamental actions like dashing, jumping, and attacking using block models, and from there expanded the direction of level design.

Famitsu: First you focused on the sensation of touch, the essence of the fun in Action games.

Tsukawaki: Right. Stuff like, if the input is this much it runs this far, whether or not the reaction speed is good, how high the jump is, if that all makes it easier to control. Truthfully I was learning from the beginning, so I just tested various things as I made it.

Actually, I think the essence of how comfortable it feels to move in 2D and 3D is probably the same. But while 2D has two axes, X and Y, 3D has three axes, X, Y, and Z. That makes things that would be fun in 2D often become extremely difficult in 3D. At first I was making constant adjustments, so much that Ebisu was worried. (Laughs) I think he was feeling like "when will there be pictures?"

Famitsu: (Laughs)

Tsukawaki: But we can't go to production without solid fundamentals, so we spent a lot of time laying the foundation.

Ebisu: After all, in Action games how the controls handle is paramount, so Tsukawaki's team was particular about that.

Tsukawaki: In the process, I played a number of masterpiece 3D titles and did a lot of research--quantifying things like "How many seconds does it take for this character to reach their top speed?"

Famitsu: You've done some detailed research.

Tsukawaki: The whole team did, and the results were very good. I guess you could say we settled on a language, or rather we were somehow able to prepare a common language. Of course, everyone has their own way of feeling things out, but somehow we can see the same stuff.

As part of that, we also began to see "the fun of 3D Action only we can do."

On top this base we created, I added the specification I had in mind from the start: right, left, and two-handed attacks. I figured it would fit if the motion was based on a taiko drum, so I said "It's a tanuki then!" because of the tanuki's belly drumming.

They mention further down that it took about half a year before the game felt right, and they tried to balance the athleticism/platforming to be easier so they could go deeper on combat. There's a parry mechanic, and you can combine left- and right-hand actions in different ways. They chose fairy tale characters like Kintaro and Momotaro for the four transformations because this is a new IP, so using characters from "fairy tales everyone knows" will ease them into the world.

@Touya thanks for posting that particular snippet. The interview itself is very interesting. Within what you highlight it gives me hope to read this from the game director: "But we can't go to production without solid fundamentals, so we spent a lot of time laying the foundation."

I have high hopes, as I love the aesthetics of the game, the art, how colorful everything is, but none of that is worth it if the game doesn't feel right, or handle well. I hope we're all in for a pleasant surprise on November 30.

Of course one of the very few new 3D action platformers wouldn't get localized ugh.

May give it a go anyway, shouldn't require too much reading to play I'd imagine (I hope)

I'll put my trust in any dev that does this much research into 3D. They didn't name what "masterpiece" titles they looked at specifically, but there's no way they could avoid the sandbox Mario games. Maybe Jak & Daxter as well? Actually, I wonder what we'd consider the masterpieces these days...

The mention of "fairy tales everyone knows" makes me think Good-Feel didn't anticipate much global interest, because it's so rooted in Japanese specifics. Like Momotaro over here in the US is so unknown, more people probably recognize the name as "that train game Konami never localizes" rather than "folk hero born from a peach with talking animal helpers that fights oni." Kintaro would be even more of an enigma.

I'll put my trust in any dev that does this much research into 3D. They didn't name what "masterpiece" titles they looked at specifically, but there's no way they could avoid the sandbox Mario games. Maybe Jak & Daxter as well? Actually, I wonder what we'd consider the masterpieces these days...

The mention of "fairy tales everyone knows" makes me think Good-Feel didn't anticipate much global interest, because it's so rooted in Japanese specifics. Like Momotaro over here in the US is so unknown, more people probably recognize the name as "that train game Konami never localizes" rather than "folk hero born from a peach with talking animal helpers that fights oni." Kintaro would be even more of an enigma.
What are you talking about everyone knows about James and the giant peach and Achilles the second is a Melos joke.

Thank god it has furigana. That'll make my import much easier to understand and give me a chance to practice my skill. Not many games have furigana (hiragana over Kanji).

According to Nintendo JP eShop page the only language supported by the game is Japanese :(

For being a studiosโ€™ first game it sure looks promising.
theyโ€™ve made both Nintendo games and their own gamesโ€ฆ

Last edited:
I do it to myself but every time this topic gets bumped I assume itโ€™s to confirm a release in the Westโ€ฆโ€ฆ
lmao same

hope it comes at some point but I certainly wonโ€™t assume it will before then

I was confused at first, but I think the poster may have meant the Osaka studio of Good-Feel.
oh yeah, that makes sense!

Just a few more days. I hope we get some reviews from outlets beyond just Famitsu.

According to Amazon Japan, 400+ bought in past month. My preorder is still active, I guess it will be shipped next week, so I hope to enjoy it soon. I hope it will be playable even without understanding Japanese. What memories from the early days of playing with GameFAQS guides ๐Ÿ˜…

That's a Play-Asia order in Canadian dollars.

Source: I have the same order, lol.
Yep, Play-Asia in Canadian. I get orders from Amazon JP from time to time but Play-Asia has a lowered price on the free shipping threshold right now so I got this and some other things.

Well, finally, the release day has arrived. Amazon has already notified me that my copy of the game is on its way.

Famitsu has given the game a 29/40 (7/7/8/7), according to Gematsu.

Last edited:
Well, finally, the release day has arrived. Amazon has already notified me that my copy of the game is on its way.

Famitsu has given the game a 29/40 (7/7/8/7), according to Gematsu.

That's... A lot lower than what I expected from the material, curious for some reviews that can eleborate.

If Dragon Quest Monsters 3 can get solid scores for a game that didn't grow with the times, repeats the same gameplay pattern over and over and has outdated visuals in basically all areas, I just cannot fathom a game like this oozing with different kinds of gameplay, popping visuals and fluid looking gameplay would be scored any less than that.

Played about 15 minutes and I can say it's fun! Little on the easy side but definitely for the people who are thirsty for some traditional 3D platformers.

But I can understand Famitsu review. Performance is a little choppy, the game is definitely not rock solid 30fps. There are noticeable drops. Few popin issues here and there too but if you're not sensitive to those it's good time.

I hope the game doesn't end too soon!

Played about 15 minutes and I can say it's fun! Little on the easy side but definitely for the people who are thirsty for some traditional 3D platformers.

But I can understand Famitsu review. Performance is a little choppy, the game is definitely not rock solid 30fps. There are noticeable drops. Few popin issues here and there too but if you're not sensitive to those it's good time.

I hope the game doesn't end too soon!
Thanks for sharing your impressions, @9-Volt! If you've played more I'm itching to know more of your thoughts!

Thanks for sharing your impressions, @9-Volt! If you've played more I'm itching to know more of your thoughts!
First of all, game is pretty easy. Nobody should expect Banjo levels of difficulty here. But the game makes up in the power up department, all of them are super fun to mess around. That fishing rod one my favorite but peach guns are also fun to use, gives the game some Ratchet & Clank feeling.

I also hope anyone who's interested in the game are not framerate sensitive as there are some big dips when there are too much going on on the screen. Some enemies pop up pretty close and I don't think this was intentional. Good feel could come up with a performance patch like they did with Yoshi.

Thanks @9-Volt, I really appreciate the additional info! I wonder if it will follow a similar design philosophy to many of Good-Feel's other games, where it starts off fairly easy but becomes complex by the end, especially when going for 100% (if there is even such a concept in this game).

First week sales, according to Famitsu:

20./00. [NSW] Otogi Katsugeki Mameda no Bakeru: Oracle Saitarou no Sainan!! <ACT> (Good-Feel) {2023.11.30} (ยฅ4.800) - 3.484 / NEW <20-40%>

This lovely thread and this lovely review made me purchase the game.

Realy hope an official english release will come sooner or later.

Last edited:
INF_0001_01.jpg

New Yearยดs message from Good-Feel (translated using Deepl):
Happy New Year!
We wish you a very Happy New Year!

Thank you very much for purchasing and playing our game.
Your comments and suggestions are very much appreciated and encouraged by our staff.

We will continue to do our best so that as many people as possible will be able to play "Bakeru the Tanuki" in the new year!

We have a lot of things in store for you, so please look forward to them.
We look forward to your continued patronage in the new year.

If you haven't played "Mameda no Bakeru" yet, we hope you have a happy New Year's holiday!

I've been able to start the game in its Japanese version and the performance is bad (I have to see if with the last update they have improved something). And although I've only been able to try the first levels I see the game slow and boring, especially the movement of the protagonist is clunky, like from the 32-bit era.

I think the 29/40 from Famitsu is not unfair, much to my regret, as the packaging surrounding the game seems to me very good.

Thank you @nakuto for your impressions. That is unfortunate, hopefully their next whack will be a better success.

Back
Top Bottom