• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News New Good-Feel game! Otogi Katsugeki Mameda no Bakeru: Oracle Saitarou no Sainan!!

I still cant wrap my head about established software houses that cant develop an English localization alongside the Japanese developed one, in 2023
Considering also the accessibility of a self-publishing ruote through digital stores/eshop..

I still cant wrap my head about established software houses that cant develop an English localization alongside the Japanese developed one, in 2023
Considering also the accessibility of a self-publishing ruote through digital stores/eshop..
The localization of Good-Feel's Nintendo-published titles is handled by Nintendo. Publishers (not developers) often take the responsibility for funding the localization costs for the territories they intend to publish in.

The localization of Good-Feel's Nintendo-published titles is handled by Nintendo. Publishers (not developers) often take the responsibility for funding the localization costs for the territories they intend to publish in.

Yes, but this is a small project, self funded and published in Japan: develop English version alongside it and you can easily self publish it in the West on the eShop

Yes, but this is a small project, self funded and published in Japan: develop English version alongside it and you can easily self publish it in the West on the eShop
That still requires hiring a team to localize text and graphics at minimum, as well as having the capacity to manage the certification and marketing in English-speaking territories.

That still requires hiring a team to localize text and graphics at minimum, as well as having the capacity to manage the certification and marketing in English-speaking territories.
It’s kinda funny cause this is exactly the kind of small project you’d expect nintendo to pick up international publishing rights for like Good Job or Snipper clips

Exactly this, Success tried to do this with their latest game Buccanyar because how hard it could be for them to translate their own games? Well...

FnSwdi8.png

Needless to say, even with the "english" option, the game is only available in japan because there is no way to sell this in the west with this quality of localization

It’s kinda funny cause this is exactly the kind of small project you’d expect nintendo to pick up international publishing rights for like Good Job or Snipper clips
Good Job and Snipperclips both had Nintendo staff working on them, they didn't just "pick them up". Whereas Mameda Bakeru has no Nintendo involvement at all.

Was wondering who localized Monkey Barrel, their previous smaller original game and completely forgot it was published by Nicalis on Steam/Switch.

Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't enjoy the experience of working with them and are potentially gonna look somewhere else.

Exactly this, Success tried to do this with their latest game Buccanyar because how hard it could be for them to translate their own games? Well...

FnSwdi8.png

Needless to say, even with the "english" option, the game is only available in japan because there is no way to sell this in the west with this quality of localization

And again, I would expect long-running Japanese developers to be able to get ONE localization in English, that should be enough to distribute a game in the West, managing the simpler-than-ever publishing process through digital stores

I think is more a forma mentis/cultural behaviour than anything

And again, I would expect long-running Japanese developers to be able to get ONE localization in English, that should be enough to distribute a game in the West, managing the simpler-than-ever publishing process through digital stores

The localization process is far more complex than you apparently think it is. If you want Good-Feel to shit out a machine-translated localization and slap it on the eShop with zero marketing, they could certainly do that, but it wouldn't really be a benefit.

I've seen terrible localization efforts from Western devs translating from English to other Western languages like French and German - why in the fresh hell should I have faith that Japanese people whose grasp of English can be extremely spotty can deliver on an English loc that actually sounds good?

FFS - the localizations of both FF XIII and Metroid: Other M were handled by Japanese people and they're cited as localization misfires a lot.

This looks HOT, NoA is nuts for not picking this right up. You'd think they'd be in some sort of good relations after working on so many first party properties? And I'm not saying international localization and self publishing is a simple easy task, but who the hell is the Neos Corporation? They apparently handled the Shin Chan Summer Vacation game and at least brought it over about a year later, while according to all the research I can manage they've mostly done non-game related business exclusively in Japan. Just saying I don't feel totally hopeless for this similar case with a game that immediately looks so inherently fun and appealing.

FnSwdi8.png

They literally sell this game from where I live. https://ecommerce.datablitz.com.ph/products/nsw-buccanyar-asian-jap-version
I guess a good localization can really be the deciding factor between selling in other markets or not.

If Nintendo won't pick it up, we can hope for some ASIAN companies like East Asia Soft or Bandai Namco Singapore to localize the game.

This looks HOT, NoA is nuts for not picking this right up. You'd think they'd be in some sort of good relations after working on so many first party properties? And I'm not saying international localization and self publishing is a simple easy task, but who the hell is the Neos Corporation? They apparently handled the Shin Chan Summer Vacation game and at least brought it over about a year later, while according to all the research I can manage they've mostly done non-game related business exclusively in Japan. Just saying I don't feel totally hopeless for this similar case with a game that immediately looks so inherently fun and appealing.
Mameda Bakeru is developed by Good Feel's new studio that was explicitly set up to work on original games that they fully own. They will partner up with someone like Nicalis for localization but this is pretty much a self-funded and self-published title. If they shopped it to Nintendo they would probably give up some co-ownership and likely couldn't release on PC like they did with Monkey Barrels.

FnSwdi8.png

Maybe they could reach X-SEED or NIS America ? I know the original Ys VIII translation from one of them was hilariously bad (and the french one doesn't always read what the english voices says, wonderful) but they did fix it.

New trailer is up. Launches November 30 in Japan.

package.png

I love this. It reminded me a little of Kirby and The Forgotten Land (just the style of gameplay), and I’m all for it! I hope it gets localized, I don’t want to import it unless it’s the only way.

Maybe they could reach X-SEED or NIS America ? I know the original Ys VIII translation from one of them was hilariously bad (and the french one doesn't always read what the english voices says, wonderful) but they did fix it.
I think the main issue here is that the project is really small they don't want/have that budget so they just decided to do it themselves

This game. What an amazing trailer. There's so much going on in it.

So much Goemon in it. :LOL:

That this exists at all is akin to a miracle in my eyes.

localization is a huge undetaking

known dev or not, they probably weighed release with a tighter budget and timeline. they probably think it wouldn’t mean much to players outside of Japan — not enough for localization, anyways.

they release and see how it does. if it goes great and there’s demand — maybe they get it localized.

Wouldn't be surprised if we hear about localization for this soon, probably be next year though before it happens.

Preorders are open on Amazon Japan

It has not yet been confirmed whether the game will be available in a language other than Japanese

I mean, this looks like you'll probably by able to grasp the general gist without english text too. Still would love to see it getting a localised release though.

In yesterday's Japanese Direct, another small gameplay of the game was shown:

Chapter 2 of the manga adaptation will be published in the October issue of CoroCoro magazine.

new video

Jesus, this game is PERFECT! Spritiual successor to Goemon but this video showed much more than that. Different power ups? Mini games? I'm not waiting for localization that may not even happen at all. Importing it day one.

Also the game is too big to be made by some "side team" at GoodFeel. This is not a side project.

Jesus, this game is PERFECT! Spritiual successor to Goemon but this video showed much more than that. Different power ups? Mini games? I'm not waiting for localization that may not even happen at all. Importing it day one.

Also the game is too big to be made by some "side team" at GoodFeel. This is not a side project.
It's still not made by the studio that usually works with Nintendo according to a translated interview from 2020.

Ebisu-san reveals that Good-Feel is expanding by creating an Osaka office, and claims that people in Osaka are generally more "comical"; the company's next original title is being developed from this office.

The game in question – which is in the 'action' genre and is targeting launch on Switch – doesn't have an official title as yet and is only shown via storyboards and concept artwork, but we're getting major Goemon vibes from what's been shown, which isn't a shock given that Ebisu-san worked on that series while he was at Konami.

Things might have changed since then but I doubt they're not working on a contracted project as they need something to keep the lights on while developing self published games (my money still being on the Peach game until proven otherwise).

Nobody can ask them on twitter for localization ?

I hope it will be release in Europe (and USA of course)

How does this manage to look more and more like such a perfect joyride of a videogame every time they show it off?? Do we even have to keep demanding it anymore? Assuredly nothing with this much love and polish poured into it is intended to be kept local, I'm positive they must be in the process of exploring whatever localization options they can.

Once the game pops up on the japanese eshop, we will find out if it has english language. Once that happens, I'm importing the physical copy.

How does this manage to look more and more like such a perfect joyride of a videogame every time they show it off?? Do we even have to keep demanding it anymore? Assuredly nothing with this much love and polish poured into it is intended to be kept local, I'm positive they must be in the process of exploring whatever localization options they can.
That's really up to any western publishers that might think the game will sell enough to justify the localization and publishing costs. Good-Feel is not set up to self-publish in international markets.

might be possible they're hoping for a good reception and sales in Japan before exploring options for a localization (whether it involves a publisher or not), the game has been in development since at least 2019/2020 so the budget allocated for the project might be running quite low.

Back
Top Bottom