• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Monster Hunter 20th Anniversary Special Program on March 12th (alongside daily Monster popularity poll results)

Zinogre is 100% top 3. We all know that.

My personal number one is.......... Seltas Queen! or like Ahtal-ka

Last edited:
My thoughts on who the top 5 could be (no particular order)

Rathalos, Gore Magala, Zinogre, Lagiacrus, Fatalis (maybe Nargacuga sneaks in late?)

I don't think Zinogre has ever lost a popularity poll like this and it's never been close either.
Huh, good to know. Haven't paid much attention to them before, though I knew Zinogre's always been a fav for many.

I'm honestly surprised 'Ogre is that popular. Like... don't get me wrong. It's a cool monster. I like it a lot. But I'm curious what about it makes it a consistent runaway favorite for the community. Legacy obviously has something to do with it, but... surely that can't be all, can it?

Kind of shocking to see Abyssal Lagiacrus as he only appeared in a single title in the endgame!

This one is wild, was talking about this with friends but the amount of people that have played a MH game and actually ever fought Abyssal Lagi has to be incredibly low. Wonder where all the votes came from or if he's really popular in Japan or something?

Kind of shocking to see Abyssal Lagiacrus as he only appeared in a single title in the endgame!

It really is amazing! As one reply to that tweet put it best:

• Rare species
  • Appeared in only 1 mainline game ever
  • Predates most of the series' popularity explosion
  • Can only be fought via a mechanic that was very controversial

It's also very much the final fight in the game. You had to get past the likes of Dire Miralis to even see 'em.

Either votes for Lagi, overall, are much higher than I thought, or they really rallied behind the fan favorite superboss version. Either way, I'm amazed and amused.

Pleasantly surprised to see Abyssal Lagi place so high.

As someone who started with 3 Ultimate, it definitely gave off "final challenge" vibes. That, and it's sick design mean I have fond memories of it, even if I wasn't the biggest fan of underwater combat.

Wouldn't mind seeing them take another stab at it, though. It'd be a nice dichotomy compared to how fast and mobile hunters are nowdays: putting them in an environment where they're at an innate disadvantage, so they need to adapt and be a bit more cautious.

Our last reveal is Stygian Zinogre, the rest of the top places will be revealed on the livestream. Stygian is definitely a cool beast and crazy hard in MH4U G-rank!

Last edited:

Our last reveal is Stygian Zinogre, the rest of the top places will be revealed on the livestream. Stygian is definitely a cool beast and crazy hard in MH4U G-rank!

Stygian only getting 11 is pretty surprising. But that just likely means green dawg is that much higher. LMAO

Yes, I'm aware of the apparent leak, but until it's confirmed, I think it's still fairly up in the air.

Molten Tigrex is in my heart #1 but we all know it's either Nargacuga or Zinogre.

Edit: Actually surprised how high Primordial Malzeno came in.

The true no 1 monster, let's be real
MHRise-Tetranadon_Render_001.png

(I love you, buddy)

They're already stressing there's no new reveals of any kind, MH classic collection is gonners :L

LAGIACRUS IN 3RD! Glad my vote went that high!
Nergiagante in 2nd.. would not even be in my top 20. Guessing this is the huge World influence.
And 1st place is ZINOGRE! Not my favourite but still awesome and a very iconic Monster. Congratulations!

Would have liked to see Velkhana a bit higher, Nergigante and his variant both being in the top 10 is pretty impressive, wonder how close he got to Zinogre who will win these popularity contests forever.

Enjoyed listening to how MH4/4G came about and how pleased they are that Westerners love Gore Magala, lol. They also noted it was the first time they really started seeing foreign fans for the series around. It's still my favourite title.

Anyways I'm gonna go have a shower since it's getting late, I will update the thread later!

GId1pR2boAARJud

I feel that there's a really, really, really high standard of what constitutes "too edgy" when you're talking about literal giant monsters, and Nerg just doesn't clear that. He's good. Is he "twice in the top ten" good? No. But he's good in my books.

So the Japanese stream is mostly just covering stuff like USJ getting a MH themed cafe and some merch. They also announced another player's poll in the future asking which Monster musical theme is your favourite. (I will laugh if Zinogre also wins that one because his is fairly iconic). I'll probably go Malzeno for that one, or Shagaru Magala.

Happy 20th, Monster Hunter! I'm gonna go play some Sunbreak.

Any of the Three Lords isn't there either. Except Primordial (which was my vote :D)

Basically, if you want to "blame" anyone for the Nergigante love, look to Asia, LOL.

Speaking of funny, my prediction of the "Rathalos spoiler effect" came to pass! Not a single version of the series' posterboy cracked the top 20, and I can't stop laughing.

So, Tsujimoto-san~! Maybe you guys will stop forcing the red lizard on us so much, huh? Maybe you'll give another monster a chance to be the star in a Stories game?

Oh, who am I kidding~!

I feel that there's a really, really, really high standard of what constitutes "too edgy" when you're talking about literal giant monsters, and Nerg just doesn't clear that. He's good. Is he "twice in the top ten" good? No. But he's good in my books.
To be fair, I also think Gore Magala is edgy. Seregios is the much better new 4th gen wyvern design in my opinion.

More of the full list is coming out.

My boy, Bloodbath, at 36?! I ain't mad at all! Boltreaver Astalos at 26 is even more a pleasant surprise!

If i had to use a dog metaphor, Nergigante is like the dogs that British football hooligans would have.

Malzeno is the pet a charismatic and brilliant James Bond movie villain would have.

Yeah, that works.

Only one Insect monster is sad though. Okay it's one of the most hype ones, but still.

More Insect monsters, Capcom. Be brave, make the Wilds box-art monster an insect one!

Great Jaggi by far the most popular drome/Aggi monster. Deserved!
G. Jaggi is just everybody's favorite whipping boy.

I still say G. Maccao is by far a better fight, with more interesting mechanics.

In other news:

Pure destruction and endless pain never looked so adorable. Preorders are open now! Old/White Fatalis not having "hair" down his back is pretty much the only detail I dock from the plush looking so good, otherwise!

Back
Top Bottom