• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Monster Hunter 20th Anniversary Special Program on March 12th (alongside daily Monster popularity poll results)

zumaddy

Starman
Pronouns
She
"Join us March 12 at 4am PDT / 11:00am GMT for the Monster Hunter 20th Anniversary Special Program!We'll be celebrating 20 years of Monster Hunter, revealing your top 10 monsters of all time and more! #MH20th"

GHkep7OXwAErvHw

Announced on Twitter earlier, this will likely feature upcoming and merchandise event news, as well as looking back on the series history. Monster Hunter Wilds is explicitly mentioned to not be appearing. It also states it will "not feature new game announcements", although people are hoping for ports of the older games to Steam.

As mentioned earlier, results from the Monster Popularity Poll where the fans voted on their favourite Monsters in the series is tied to this event. While the top 10 will be revealed on the day, they are releasing 20-11 in the days leading up to the event.

Number 20 is Crimson Valstrax/Valstrax(?) (not sure if they're splitting votes). I have really funny memories of this guy wiping entire parties of players back in the demo for Monster Hunter XX/GU. The specific variant they've mentioned is another great challenge from Monster Hunter Rise.

Number 19 is Shagaru Magala, the main Elder Dragon from 4/4U single player mode. This Monster feels like a personal rival in that it basically challenges you to a fight after multiple encounters, and it's a great finale to first set of caravan quests. Great theme too!

Number 18 is Namielle from Monster Hunter World, a pretty fun and unique fight with electrified water puddles everywhere.

Number 17 is Brachydios from Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate/G, who brought Blast with him and has a fun design with a great music theme!

16th place is Safi'jiva from Monster Hunter World. bringing a cool targeting mechanic to the player who does most damage to him! He also has a massive AOE that has you scrambling for cover.

Further placements are in the thread and the top 10 will be threadmarked when announced.

Here's to 20 years of Monster Hunting! MH Rise and World are both on sale in Steam if you're interested in joining in.

EDIT: Rise, Generations Ultimate, and Stories 2 are also on sale on the EU eShop (thank you @Imitatio)

Last edited:
I would kill for a Monster Hunter Tri and Monster Hunter 4 remaster/port, Capcom please. :(

Wonder what this is for. They already announced Stories for summer, so I can't see another obvious re-release, and they said Wilds news will be summer as well. Stories 3? More updates to World and Rise? (Let me dream)

I think people who are expecting news on new games or re-releases are going to be very disappointed. Not sure why Capcom does these whelming presentations all the time. I know they warned people already of no new game announcements or news on Wilds, but it's still kinda disappointing. Would be cool if they rereleased 3U, sadly they probably think it will conflict with Wilds.

18th place is Namielle from Monster Hunter World! A pretty fun and unique fight with electrified water puddles everywhere. They surprisingly became a bit of a fan favourite.

17th place is Brachydios, of MH3U fame. I'm actually pretty surprised to see it only at #17. I've always had the impression it was a very popular fan pick (though I'm personally not much of a fan).

17th place is Brachydios, of MH3U fame. I'm actually pretty surprised to see it only at #17. I've always had the impression it was a very popular fan pick (though I'm personally not much of a fan).

Brachy is a Monster I feel was more fun/intimidating in the older games. He was faster and now that the player has more movement options he doesn't feel as 'big'. But still a fun design and great music theme!

Never liked Brachydios much, personally. Still surprised to see it ranking relatively low overall.

I don't like Brachydios much, generally prefer the more realistic and believable monsters in the franchise and even compared to the more fantastical ones Brachy is just ok, but I've also never fought them so maybe that'd change my mind.

Brachy is just a really goofy looking thing, for better and for worse. It doesn’t really intimidate me all that much to look at, which you do tend to want out of most non-velociraptor-shaped monsters.

Brachy's popular, but it never came off as if he was in quite the same strata as the likes of say, Nargacuga and Zinogre (for pure fanservice faves) or Rathalos, the OG poster boy.

He's just a cool boxing lizard with explosive punches and a pompadour built into his head (which he also uses as part of his fighting style). The very type of "goofy but awesome" I love MH for. And Stories just leans into this even more.

97vMaM.gif

16th place is Safi'jiva from Monster Hunter World! Not one of my favourites, however I very much enjoyed the target mechanic and the heartbeat sound effects being added to the music when he's trying to kill.

Deserved. Safi's just a SIMPLE. GENTLE. SAILOR.

But seriously, lore-wise, I liked the idea that there exists a "supreme emperor" monster boasting power that gives even the old school black dragons pause. And it made for a fun fight, even if I didn't think the game needed yet another "siege monster that drops randomized gear" so soon after Gold Mama (Kulve Taroth).

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing the Jivas, again, though. Maybe a third form...

I don’t think there’s gonna be a single monster in top 20 that wasn’t in either World or Rise lol.

Anyways my favorite is Odogaron, who most likely won’t be on this list. I also have a soft spot for Garamgolm.

I don’t think there’s gonna be a single monster in top 20 that wasn’t in either World or Rise lol.
Even if they weren't in Rise, I'd bet at least one between Basarios and Khezu were going to make it, anyway. Japanese fans love themselves an overly phallic lightning leech and the rock cropping that forced you to learn about aiming for softer points on a monster (or failing that, just get yourself a gun).

Lagiacrus is still really popular, I will be surprised if it's not top 10. But yeah you can really see the "World first MH game" influence in these polls so far

Sounds like they are being very clear that should we temper our expectations.

Wilds next year. Too early for Stories 3.

It's probably nothing.

I hope they release the entire poll results. I need to see where Duramboros ended up.

Also which drome/great "~ggi" ended up being dead last.

15th is Old/White Fatalis, probably the most surprising entry yet. Wonder how much higher the original will be thanks to Iceborne's great final fight?

Old man dragon with the badass beard and even more badass song.

Now, I gotta wonder if all 3 made it in the top 20. Crimson Fatalis got to be more fun when he got blastblight added as another element in 4th gen.

And if nothing else, hopefully this might deter Capcom from thinking they can sunset either of the two in favor of just having base Fatalis show up everywhere.

Lagiacrus is still really popular, I will be surprised if it's not top 10. But yeah you can really see the "World first MH game" influence in these polls so far
True and personally World was a really let down for me when it comes to the overall design. Monsters, weapons and armor designs were weaker than in the previous entry IMO

For anyone who voted in the survey, who did you go for?

I had to go for the Monster who introduced me to the series, I picked up Tri because I thought the cover art looked sick

maxresdefault.jpg

Brachy's popular, but it never came off as if he was in quite the same strata as the likes of say, Nargacuga and Zinogre (for pure fanservice faves) or Rathalos, the OG poster boy.

He's just a cool boxing lizard with explosive punches and a pompadour built into his head (which he also uses as part of his fighting style). The very type of "goofy but awesome" I love MH for. And Stories just leans into this even more.

97vMaM.gif
Okay, I can get behind this portrayal of Brachy, because at this point he's basically just a Hajime no Ippo character.
5Nj4vYy.png

---

Also, as an aside, they totally shouldn't allow for variants in a top 20. Just condense all the votes into the base monster, we don't need 3 Fatalises and 5 Rathaloses or whatever on the list.

Anyways my favorite is Odogaron, who most likely won’t be on this list. I also have a soft spot for Garamgolm.
Well I was wrong lol. Here’s Old Fatalis at 15:

For anyone who voted in the survey, who did you go for?

Diablos has been a favorite of mine, anyway, but finally giving it the superboss/flagship treatment was always a good look. Really fun fight, and it was almost like a full circle moment for me as a hunter, since it took me back to the days when I was struggling against Monoblos! I know it would only take away a vote that could have benefitted vanilla Diablos (see below), but I had to "vote my conscience", here. LOL

Also, as an aside, they totally shouldn't allow for variants in a top 20. Just condense all the votes into the base monster, we don't need 3 Fatalises and 5 Rathaloses or whatever on the list.
While I can understand the concern, I actually side with Capcom's logic. There are people who are specifically fans of the subspecies/rare species/deviant/variant/etc. of that particular monster, so why not give them a chance to be acknowledged? Plus, where would it end before fans would inevitably cry foul?

Gore Magala will probably be on this list, too, and probably occupy a higher spot than Shagaru, even. But despite being the child/larval stage of Shaggy, the games and Capcom treat them as separate entities. One's an elder. The other's "???". One can't be trapped because of the rules governing elder dragons. The other definitely can. And then there's Chaotic Gore Magala that is technically a variant of Gore, but gets aspects of Shaggy's moveset added into it, and the overall difficulty puts it at an elder dragon level fight...but it can still be trapped. So, it should be treated as an unique entity, as well.

That said, realistically, all that giving so many options is going to do is just create a spoiler effect in many cases. I doubt there's going to be that many Rath placements, because most people are either going to a) vote for the vanilla versions or b) vote for their faves, which will just take away votes that would benefit Rathalos and Rathian as a whole.

Or to put it bluntly: there's definitely enough of a sizable fanbase for White Fatalis that warranted a place on this list. I sincerely doubt there's enough of a fanbase for the likes of Dreadking Rathalos and Poisonqueen Rathian, that wouldn't otherwise just serve as spoilers for Blue/Pink Raths and the Metal Raths, who in turn are spoilers for the vanilla Raths.

Diablos has been a favorite of mine, anyway, but finally giving it the superboss/flagship treatment was always a good look. Really fun fight, and it was almost like a full circle moment for me as a hunter, since it took me back to the days when I was struggling against Monoblos! I know it would only take away a vote that could have benefitted vanilla Diablos (see below), but I had to "vote my conscience", here. LOL

While I can understand the concern, I actually side with Capcom's logic. There are people who are specifically fans of the subspecies/rare species/deviant/variant/etc. of that particular monster, so why not give them a chance to be acknowledged? Plus, where would it end before fans would inevitably cry foul?

Gore Magala will probably be on this list, too, and probably occupy a higher spot than Shagaru, even. But despite being the child/larval stage of Shaggy, the games and Capcom treat them as separate entities. One's an elder. The other's "???". One can't be trapped because of the rules governing elder dragons. The other definitely can. And then there's Chaotic Gore Magala that is technically a variant of Gore, but gets aspects of Shaggy's moveset added into it, and the overall difficulty puts it at an elder dragon level fight...but it can still be trapped. So, it should be treated as an unique entity, as well.

That said, realistically, all that giving so many options is going to do is just create a spoiler effect in many cases. I doubt there's going to be that many Rath placements, because most people are either going to a) vote for the vanilla versions or b) vote for their faves, which will just take away votes that would benefit Rathalos and Rathian as a whole.

Or to put it bluntly: there's definitely enough of a sizable fanbase for White Fatalis that warranted a place on this list. I sincerely doubt there's enough of a fanbase for the likes of Dreadking Rathalos and Poisonqueen Rathian, that wouldn't otherwise just serve as spoilers for Blue/Pink Raths and the Metal Raths.

The vote-splitting is definitely a fair angle, I can see what you mean. The variant and/or base monster would each have to be incredibly popular in order to simultaneously make the list.

The beef is canceled, Capcom.

As long as Narga is on here (which it definitely is).

Yeah, love Mizu! Would easily make my top 10, maybe even top 5 (probably would have to make it a top 7, then, haha).

While not my fave of the "Fated Four" (that honor goes to Raizex/Astalos), I ain't gonna hate. The Bubble Fox was always such a great design, and he bought a new status effect with him!

Plus, I always loved his lore. All the ones we've faced thus far in the series are aggressively horny males, and females are both much more chill and not as colorful.

I wonder if one of the newer bug monsters will be within the Top 20.

Really hope Wilds have more of those, given how fucked-up some real-life insects are, there's so much potential for new MonHun monsters.

I wonder if one of the newer bug monsters will be within the Top 20.

Really hope Wilds have more of those, given how fucked-up some real-life insects are, there's so much potential for new MonHun monsters.
Shoot, I'm still hoping my beloved Seltas Queen can come back.

If one of the main reasons she hasn't so far is because she too much a big girl to fit into some maps, then what even is the point of going for even larger open zone areas, if not to bring her and other large and in charge back?

Shoot, I'm still hoping my beloved Seltas Queen can come back.

If one of the main reasons she hasn't so far is because she too much a big girl to fit into some maps, then what even is the point of going for even larger open zone areas, if not to bring her and other large and in charge back?
Seltas Queen, Lagiacrus, Malfestio, Zamtrios. I think it’s kinda cool that they can put a hundred monsters in these games and there’s still some I love that don’t make the cut. Just goes to show how strong the bestiary is, the monster design and animation is always so good.

I still don't know why they had zamites in Rise but not Zamtrios.
They also had Jagras and no Great Jagras, Jaggi and Jaggia with no Great Jaggi, Uroktor with no Akantor, and Bullfango with no Bulldrome. Though Zamites is still the weirdest of all of these.

World and Rise had a lot of repeat Monsters return, I would love Wilds to have some of the more interesting picks we've mentioned and/or over half the roster being new like Tri.

Speaking of Tri I have a feeling for 3rd gen debuts, both Lagiacrus and Jho will be top 10.

Primordial Malzeno takes 13th, which is an interesting specific answer! I wonder if the original Malzeno will also appear. People love Dragon Drcacula.

The Monster Hunter Fandom has some surprising taste, I don't like any of the ones they've listed so far. Not even hate, they don't really leave an impression.

That reminds me, apparently first place accidentally got leaked by Monster Hunter Now? I didn't look any further, but the #1 spot may already be on social media. I'll only be posting the full list on the stream date.

Primordial Malzeno takes 13th, which is an interesting specific answer! I wonder if the original Malzeno will also appear. People love Dragon Drcacula.

Oh, I don't doubt that regular Malz will be here, too.

But it does really throw a lot of things into question. Like I'm sure Nergigante was here, but I don't recall see nearly as much adoration for Ruiner in the same way Malzimus Prime received. So would that mean that Nergi didn't have nearly as much of a spoiler effect to deal with or not?

That reminds me, apparently first place accidentally got leaked by Monster Hunter Now? I didn't look any further, but the #1 spot may already be on social media. I'll only be posting the full list on the stream date.
I feel the #1 for these popularity polls is always extremely easy to guess anyways lol, I'm curious about the positioning of #10 to #2

Back
Top Bottom