• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Site Event Midwinter Holiday Game Event | December 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaotic Neutral

Chain Chomp
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
4O0v8Vm.jpg

Famiboards Midwinter Holiday Event 2021
... and we're back online. Happy holiday season to everyone! In the northern hemisphere, midwinter solstice is fast approaching and whether we celebrate it secularly, have a religious and/or cultural festival tied to it, simply enjoy some tacky music, sugary treats and hot drinks in the freezing cold of the longest, darkest nights of the year, or any mix and match of the previous, it's the most wonderful time of the year. Except when it isn't. But that's okay too. Because regardless, we're going to make it (even) more wonderful and pass the long hours of waiting for the planets to align correctly in the best way this community knows how: By playing some video games and being suspiciously vocal about it!

But where's @Dopply ?
Our resident virtual dungeon master and genius extraordinaire is very busy with life and some very, very exciting projects of his own. So @WestEgg and I are doing a joint Cubone-Kremling takeover for the holiday round at least. While we can unfortunately not reveal whether the aforementioned takeover was hostile or not, the community can rest assured that no other staff members or frequent collaborators were bone-clubbed or had their bananas stolen in the making of this thread. Furthermore, the thread has been vetted by the Fédération Equestre Internationale as humanely made.

So, how did that last event go?
The Gamecube 20th Anniversary site event was very fun! A lot of users participated, and only the F-Zero Phenom badge went unclaimed.

Commemorative Cube | Any GameCube title | 28 members
A Cruel Melee's Thesis | Super Smash Bros. Melee | 10 members
The Delfino Blues | Super Mario Sunshine | 9 members
Pure of Heart | Pokémon Colosseum | Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness | 6 members
Endurance Dasher | Mario Kart: Double Dash | 5 members
Prime Hunter | Metroid Prime | Metroid Prime 2 | 4 members
Code Crosser | Animal Crossing (GameCube) | 4 members
Peak Pikmin | Pikmin | Pikmin 2 | 3 members
Monkey Ball Master | Super Monkey Ball | Super Monkey Ball 2 | 1 member
Figure Waker | The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker | 1 member

In the associated raffle, 3 GameCube controllers were up for grabs for participants in the event. Congratulations to our winners @puddleths , @Ombrella , and @Weebos !

Okay, cool! And what are we doing now?
This is mostly just business as usual. For the duration of the event, which is until this year ends at GMT/UTC, you can complete the event challenges, related to the event's theme and laid out in this OP, to earn badges on the board, which you can then feature on your profile and posts. After successfully completing the challenge, post the proof of your accomplishment in this thread (video or image evidence) and indicate which challenge you went for, while @-ing us in the post. Awarding the badges is a manual process, and we can only do the honours when at leisure and by the computer, so you might have to wait patiently for the badge to show up! Then, later on, successful badge-holders will be awarded the opportunity to enter a raffle for prizes, details TBD.

Wait, did you say prizes?
Yes, we did! We have an associated Midwinter Holiday Raffle for which badge holders in this even are eligible to enter! Six lucky badge holders will be eligible to win an eShop code for one of three new Nintendo games for this holiday season: Pokémon Brilliant Diamond, Pokémon Shining Pearl, or Shin Megami Tensei V!

Awesome! What are the challenges then?
We know, right? It is pretty awesome. Anyway, here they are:​

ADreamAbovetheClouds.png

A Dream Above the Clouds
Complete the synonymous celebration picture in Kirby: Star Allies

ChillyRider.png

Chilly Rider
Defeat the Shrewd/Scornful Possessor in Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon

EnlightenmentAchiever.png

Enlightenment Achiever
Defeat the Vehemoth Phosbat in Pikmin 3’s Distant Tundra

ExtremeSkier.png

Extreme Skier
Win a 200CC race in Mario Kart 8’s Mount Wario course

FoglessSteel.png

Fogless Steel
Obtain the Iron Boots in Ocarina of Time’s Ice Cavern

FunkyModeEnthusiast2.png

Funky Mode Enthusiast
Beat Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

IceFace2.png

Ice Face
Obtain a shiny Eiscue in Pokémon Sword and Shield

IceVellumental.png

Ice Vellumental
Defeat the synonymous boss in Paper Mario: Origami King

NanaNanaPopo.png

Nana Nana Popo
Beat Mountain 32 in Ice Climber

PenguinProtector2.png

Penguin Protector
Get all stars in Super Mario 64’s Cool, Cool Mountain stage

ShakenSanta.png

Shaken Santa
Obtain the Santa’s Sled treasure in Wario Land: Shake It!

SnifbergtheUnfeeling2.png

Snifberg the Unfeeling
Defeat the synonymous boss in Yoshi’s Woolly World

SnowWhirler.png

Snow Whirler
Set a new high score in Mario Party Superstars’ Snow Whirled minigame

ValakMountaineer.png

Valak Mountaineer
Complete the Valak Mountain Collection in Xenoblade Chronicles’ Collectopaedia

WinterVillager.png

Winter Villager
Complete 5 seasonal DIY recipes in Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Alright, everyone! Happy holidays and GLHF!

~ @Chaotic Neutral and @WestEgg

Last edited:
Woo! I completely dropped the ball on last month (SMTV basically stole all of my free time) but there are several here that I'll definitely make time to do.

What a varied set of challenges this time! There's quite a few that I'm eyeing. I'm getting a new capture device in the mail soon, and some of these would make for great recording tests.

Ok, this month's challenges seem doable. I may try to do a few.

I’m pretty sure I can do the ACNH even if I don’t already have them. Otherwise, I’ve been looking for an excuse to go back to Star Allies.

I'm actually very excited to do all of these myself. But I have such limited time in the holiday rush and am knee-deep in my BDSP run. Choices, choices...

Let’s see, without pulling out the wii-U, I’d say;
M64 snow mountain, LMDM, OOT, TOK, XBCDX, Mario Party, and ice climbers(if tough), I should be able to pull off and a decent chunk this weekend. What’s the proof on some of these?

Let’s see, without pulling out the wii-U, I’d say;
M64 snow mountain, LMDM, OOT, TOK, XBCDX, Mario Party, and ice climbers(if tough), I should be able to pull off and a decent chunk this weekend. What’s the proof on some of these?

Loving the ambition! Just business as usual, a photo or video showing the achievement and identification of some sort (username on a post-it has been popular). Nothing too strict, we mostly do this on an honour system since this is first and foremost just supposed to be for fun!

Loving the ambition! Just business as usual, a photo or video showing the achievement and identification of some sort (username on a post-it has been popular). Nothing too strict, we mostly do this on an honour system since this is first and foremost just supposed to be for fun!
I usually use my dog because he’s generally in frame(pretty hard not too when he’s a Great Dane and his bed is in front of the tv

Awesome, there are a variety of challenges I should be able to do. One question: I have a beaten save file from LM2 (played it for last halloween), does it count if I just load up my save file and beat the boss or do I have to play the game from the begininng?

I'm juuuuust a tad disappointed that DKC3's christmas mode isn't a challenge, but I'll manage.

Awesome, there are a variety of challenges I should be able to do. One question: I have a beaten save file from LM2 (played it for last halloween), does it count if I just load up my save file and beat the boss or do I have to play the game from the begininng?

I'm juuuuust a tad disappointed that DKC3's christmas mode isn't a challenge, but I'll manage.

Nah, it’s fine to go back and just beat the boss!

Apologies on the oversight with the Christmas mode in DKC3, truth be told I was unaware of it 😅

I assume my existing Shiny Eiscue doesn't count.

Quite a few I could bang out this month, should be fun.

No, unfortunately has to be caught during the challenge! Hope you have that shiny charm ready!

Question: For the challenges that involve Switch games, are screenshots with added text with our usernames acceptable? Or do you need something else?

LET'S GOOOOOOOO

I was waiting for the new challenges to drop, thank you so much ahah.

I'll do these for sure: Enlightenment Achiever, Extreme Skier, Penguin Protector and Snow Whirler.

Regarding the Pikmin 3 one, can we do it with boss fight mode? Since it's basically the same as in the Story Mode.

Maybe I'll also do the Animal Crossing and Yoshi's Wooly World ones if I'm motivated. And the Tropical Freeze and Luigi's Mansion 2 ones if I'm motivated to play these games again!

Question: For the challenges that involve Switch games, are screenshots with added text with our usernames acceptable? Or do you need something else?

Nope, that’s perfectly fine! We rely on the honour system and if anyone wants to cheat out a badge, that’s just between them and their conscience!

Regarding the Pikmin 3 one, can we do it with boss fight mode? Since it's basically the same as in the Story Mode.

Yeah, that’s fair. The challenge is just to beat the boss, doesn’t have to be done in any specific way. The GC challenges last month were intended to be a bit more challenging but this month we’re just having some holiday fun. 🎅

I missed the last one :( but no way I'm missing this one :D

Guess I’ll fire up oot and SM64 on NSO tonight, shouldn’t take too long to do both

No time to lose: here are my first submissions eheh

Enlightenment Achiever
wqPbOnl.jpg

Not that happy about my time despite being a new record since I co-owned the world record on the first boss (on Deluxe) from launch to June of this year but it's ok ahah

Snow Whirler

IjKMsGu.jpg

Can definitely do better and I think I will because I really like this minigame so maybe I'll try to improve here!

Penguin Protector

T3Ng09o.jpg

Faster to do than I thought lmao

Extreme Skier

Here is a recording of me finishing Mount Wario in 200CC. Since there's no indication about the mode you play at the end of the race, I thought uploading a quick video would be a good proof since you can see it's going pretty quick ahah

These ones were the first I targeted and maybe ones of the fastest to do. Now I'm thinking about which I'll do next! (Ping @Chaotic Neutral )

No time to lose: here are my first submissions eheh

Enlightenment Achiever
wqPbOnl.jpg

Not that happy about my time despite being a new record since I co-owned the world record on the first boss (on Deluxe) from launch to June of this year but it's ok ahah

Snow Whirler

IjKMsGu.jpg

Can definitely do better and I think I will because I really like this minigame so maybe I'll try to improve here!

Penguin Protector

T3Ng09o.jpg

Faster to do than I thought lmao

Extreme Skier

Here is a recording of me finishing Mount Wario in 200CC. Since there's no indication about the mode you play at the end of the race, I thought uploading a quick video would be a good proof since you can see it's going pretty quick ahah

These ones were the first I targeted and maybe ones of the fastest to do. Now I'm thinking about which I'll do next! (Ping @Chaotic Neutral )

Holy hell, that's impressive in the first few hours. Well done!

Will be doing a lot of these as they are pretty unique and I actually am taking vacation this month. Guess I’ll have to figure out how to get back to some of the bosses/stages in these games as I don’t want to play through a lot again. Is there a boss rush mode or ability to replay in Origami King?

For non-Nintendo fun, everyone who beats Parasite Eve will get a completely imaginary badge from me with Chrysler Building on it.

4486-B074-36-D4-41-B0-B822-E5809-CDAE6-DC.jpg

Not sure which seasonal items we are wanting but have the jingle types and the snowboy types.

Edit:
D47-B1-D71-209-B-4053-BA0-E-374-DA4223-D66.jpg

Went and redid these stars just now to get the cool cool mountain badge.

Edit #2:
7-AA23-ED1-7-CD6-474-E-BEEF-36-DD43728-E2-C.jpg

DEEF9152-E58-D-4-F94-8-F83-945-C119-FFA33.jpg

Doesn’t show that it was 200cc on the ending so took an intro picture as well.

Edit #3: guess I need to tag @Chaotic Neutral ?

Last edited:
Mount Wario 200cc

Cool Cool Mountain stars

The 200cc race was a ton easier than I thought. I was super rusty but I still won with plenty of time to spare. And then of course SM64 is always fun. I love saving that little baby penguin 🥰

Edit oh yeah paging @Chaotic Neutral

Mount Wario 200cc

Cool Cool Mountain stars

The 200cc race was a ton easier than I thought. I was super rusty but I still won with plenty of time to spare. And then of course SM64 is always fun. I love saving that little baby penguin 🥰

Edit oh yeah paging @Chaotic Neutral

Yeah. I was not managing turns and crashing into things and finished in first pretty easily. At 200cc you can navigate some of the shortcuts a little easier I think.

Will be doing a lot of these as they are pretty unique and I actually am taking vacation this month. Guess I’ll have to figure out how to get back to some of the bosses/stages in these games as I don’t want to play through a lot again. Is there a boss rush mode or ability to replay in Origami King?

For non-Nintendo fun, everyone who beats Parasite Eve will get a completely imaginary badge from me with Chrysler Building on it.

In Origami King, you can go to the Battle Lab to refight the bosses. They're slightly tougher than in the main game because badges or whatever they're called aren't usable. Been a while since I played it so I'm forgetting the technical terms. If I remember correctly you get a trophy for beating all of the Battle Lab boss battles.

oh damn I’m gonna try a whole bunch of these!

Smh, I was breeding for a shiny Eiscue last winter but gave up after 150ish eggs. Don't tempt me to go back. I'm not strong enough.

In that one, you have to beat the whole game, unfortunately!
Oh wow, I've just beaten Mountain 32 in case it was possible to only do that stage ahah. No problem, I think I'll pass on this one. Don't really like the game so I won't bother with it

SO, Did those yesterday after seeing this post:

-Enlightenment Achiever: Thanks for reminding me how good this game is lel
It was quite fast to do and very enjoyable

FqsomVp.jpg

-Extreme Skier: Also quick to finish, I tried to send a video but can't seem to make it work somehow, so I hope it's enough (if not, I'll try again)
6nv2qmf.jpg

-Penguin Protector: Only dislike the red coins one, but good level, probably one of my favorites in the game

QGCFXHs.jpg

-Snow Whirler: I just tried to make the best score possible, for now, that's all I can do lmao, love the mini game, even if it's better on the gamecube, to me

G8qSfej.jpg

-Now I think I'll try Chilly Rider, Ice Vellumental (Need to finish the game first HAHA), and Ice Cube (kill me please, I lost all my Shield data)

Although I was trying to chip away at Monkey Ball, I unfortunately wasn’t able to do any of the GameCube challenges last month. But I’m determined to make up for that with this month’s challenges! I definitely want to go for the Funky award - it’s been too long since I last played Tropical Freeze, and this will be the perfect excuse… plus I really want a Funky badge.

Thinking about going for Ice Face as well. I was planning on doing a shiny hunt for Totodile in BDSP, but I’ll put that off for the global warming mascot.

Is it okay to defeat the Ice Vellumental through the Bossotronic for that badge?

The Midwinter Holiday bauble I want the most is Ice Face, sadly I already have a shiny Eiscue from the World Penguin Day Event earlier this year. Not technically wild roaming or from a free-range egg, but I wonder if the nickname FreeRangeWestEgg woulda fooled the judges.

Since the noice face pokémon is a single stage evolution I don't feel like grinding out a second pink blockhead, so gonna have to rely on other games to decorate my posts in the spirit of the season.

Not making any promises, but if you tag @WestEgg instead of me in the post, it might still work.

How many badges can you display at max? Four? Let's see how close to the limit I make it via legitimate means or if nearing the end of the month I get desperate enough to be a cheating Grinch and either try what you propose or trade pink penguins with @Weebos so we can both say we obtained a shiny Eiscue this month!

I think it would have just been easier to replay the whole game. I absolutely despised this boss fight the first time I fought them - but having to do it with scaled leveling, limited items, no toads, and no accessories?!? UGH...

But after a couple tries, I did it! Things are feeling a lot more festive suddenly.

rhYtHVG.gif

For the Penguin Protector badge.
nOkVRQi.jpg

I even made sure to get the 100 coin star! :)

In that one, you have to beat the whole game, unfortunately!
Eh, there's not really too much different from jumping straight to it on the title screen vs completing all of the mazes normally. The vegetables loop after every 9 levels. and the game only displays your total score during the results screen.

I recorded some footage from a clean start, albeit failing the ultimate objective of grabbing the albatross by a fraction of a second.
If i wanted to get the vegetables to look correct, it literally would have just been a matter of starting at Mountain 31 instead. As the game would have looped to the carrots regardless.

Finally, for those of you who'd prefer doing Snow Whirled on original hardware, it debuted on Mario Party 6.
Snow_Whirled_-_Day.png

It also appeared in the previous Mario Party compilation, The Top 100, which is the one i happen to own.

Well, I have another question about Ice Climbers. Do we have to complete the 32 stages in one sitting? Like 3 lives, no game over? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I am obsessed with the game (yes I know I said I don't like it but... maybe... Maybe I was overreacting... Ahahah 😭) @Chaotic Neutral

For Chilly Rider:

oXgl4pN.jpg

And since I already had my 3DS out, I decided to open my abandoned Xenoblade Chronicles 3D file (which was actually not too much further than Valak Mountain) and complete the Valak Mountain collectopedia entries:

rJLg48r.jpg

For the latter, I did have maybe 40% complete already, so if that doesn't count, fair enough.

This was my first time playing Ice Climbers, and honestly it wasn't a great experience. Controls and the hit box for landing on blocks was definitely the biggest challenge here. This game was really, really pushing my patience half the time - especially when I'd find myself stuck in a place where I couldn't seem to jump anywhere because Popo would just wall jump and either land back on the same spot or fall down a hole.

Also, it wasn't until around Mountain 17 that I realized I could use the hammer without jumping. That certainly helped once the enemies started moving faster & timing my jumps was getting a little more tricky.

That being said - I'm glad to have experienced another Nintendo classic in full!

ZJ32FZd.gif

@Chaotic Neutral - hopefully these gifs taken from the Switch Gallery with the screencap timestamp is sufficient.

Now to return to something a little more familiar.

Last edited:
Thanks for running this! I decided to go for the longest shot first, and today KO'd/caught about 600 eiscue. Still no luck!

I think it would have just been easier to replay the whole game. I absolutely despised this boss fight the first time I fought them - but having to do it with scaled leveling, limited items, no toads, and no accessories?!? UGH...

But after a couple tries, I did it! Things are feeling a lot more festive suddenly.

rhYtHVG.gif
That one is a really tough fight in the Bossotronic and took me a bunch of tries - nice job!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom