• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Site Event Midwinter Holiday Game Event | December 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y0GlfKB.jpg

for Winter Villager, almost forgot to upload it lol

Sorry for the late replies, everyone! Date night yesterday and family brunches and birthdays this morning!

How many badges can you display at max? Four? Let's see how close to the limit I make it via legitimate means or if nearing the end of the month I get desperate enough to be a cheating Grinch and either try what you propose or trade pink penguins with @Weebos so we can both say we obtained a shiny Eiscue this month!

You can display four, yes!

Eh, there's not really too much different from jumping straight to it on the title screen vs completing all of the mazes normally. The vegetables loop after every 9 levels. and the game only displays your total score during the results screen.

I recorded some footage from a clean start, albeit failing the ultimate objective of grabbing the albatross by a fraction of a second.
If i wanted to get the vegetables to look correct, it literally would have just been a matter of starting at Mountain 31 instead. As the game would have looped to the carrots regardless.

Fair enough. I might backtrack on that if people generally don't like it. We've already had one award that just showed the total screen, though!

Well, I have another question about Ice Climbers. Do we have to complete the 32 stages in one sitting? Like 3 lives, no game over? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I am obsessed with the game (yes I know I said I don't like it but... maybe... Maybe I was overreacting... Ahahah 😭) @Chaotic Neutral

Hahaha, the allure of the badges! But no, I guess it's okay to do it in more sittings. Again, this is all meant to be for fun and we do this on an honour system basis! :D

Eiscue is caught! With about 810 encounters, and about 700 or so of them chained, I don't think that's too bad? I've never shiny hunted to this extreme though. Eiscue is one of my favorite new pokemon, so I'm actually pretty happy that this happened to be a mission because I failed to find one when he was a raid den event. He's a pretty cool shiny too!

Now to think of a nickname...

FINALLY DID IT

Nana Nana Popo

x6385xO.jpg

Took me only like... SIXTY LIVES LMAO. Started 21 times from title screen.
Well, what could I say about the game... Concept is cool for sure, but it wasn't really well done to be quiet honest. Controls and hitboxes sucks really hard in this game, too bad it is like that because with just better hitboxes it would be far better. Not a bad game but not very good either. That said, I'm glad I finished it!

Next one is the Yoshi's Woolly World I guess. I started the game for the first time yesterday and it's pretty cool! Currently doing World 3, I will not 100%ing it but I plan to get every flowers to unlock the special stages ;)

FINALLY DONE

I have...mixed feeling about this game:

GOOD:
-Good concept
-The game is cute
-Variety of the levels

BAD:
-worst jump system I EVER seen
-the music...enjoyable the first 5 minutes, becoming crazy after an hour
-you can pass through the platforms...funny when you're on top and the game decides to f*** you good lmao

MDUiVdJ.jpg

Now I guess next badge will be...hmm...Chilly Rider, maybe ? It shouldn't be that long to do it after all

EDIT: Well, finished the boss in Luigi's Mansion 2 lel
I didn't remember there was a boos like this in the game....shows well that I only played it once haha
A bit annoying for the ice breaking part, but quite easy to beat
Rjgzeqs.jpg

Last edited:
A couple more accomplishments today!

Worked through Super Mario 64 to get to Cool Cool Mountain on the N64 expansion pack offering. Playing with the N64 controller is a different experience than the anniversary collection, but Mario 64 always feels so cool and fresh!

It was also nice to have a reason to return to Kirby Star Allies. I do wish I had a full cadre of four players to work with. It was a great time with my wife on our first run through, but with single player this time you can really feel that something is missing from the intended formula. It was fun to get to play with the dream friends I didn't have as much chance to use before though!

edit: tweet removed because I goofed and completed the wrong picture! Good to know there is some quality control in awarding the badges ;p

The snow showing up here really freaked me out at first! I like the effect now that I know what's going on! I think I have a chance to get all of the challenges done this time. I've got a lot of time off work this month...

Edit: I guess I should more carefully read the rules. Paging @Chaotic Neutral and @WestEgg. These are for "Penguin Protector" and "A Dream Above the Clouds." Thanks again!

Last edited:
For Penguin Protector, I contemplated for a brief moment playing the DS version, but opted to play on NSO instead lol @Chaotic Neutral

aTKYX0Z.jpg

Out of the rest of them, the only one I really can't do is the Mario Party one since I don't have the game. The Kirby one, I already had the picture complete so I started a new file, but I totally forgot that you have to get specific pieces to clear the pink spots. So that one may take a bit lol. Yoshi, Pikmin 3, and Kart would require me to set up my Wii U again. Maybe I'll try the Paper Mario and Ice Climber ones next. I'm also very tempted to replay Tropical Freeze...we'll see. It's nice to have the excuse if need be.

Cool snow effect btw.

Great work, friends! Very happily surprised to see everyone blast through these!

It was also nice to have a reason to return to Kirby Star Allies. I do wish I had a full cadre of four players to work with. It was a great time with my wife on our first run through, but with single player this time you can really feel that something is missing from the intended formula. It was fun to get to play with the dream friends I didn't have as much chance to use before though!

Good job on the penguin protecting! But sorry if the instructions are unclear - the picture for the Star Allies badge is specifically the A Dream Above the Clouds one!! :(

Great work, friends! Very happily surprised to see everyone blast through these!

Good job on the penguin protecting! But sorry if the instructions are unclear - the picture for the Star Allies badge is specifically the A Dream Above the Clouds one!! :(

Oof, my bad. It's actually very clear! Well, that's more reason to keep playing at least!

I've redeemed myself for my earlier Kirby Star Allies blunder. I had to beat the story mode, and make a few guest star runs to get the puzzle finished up. I honestly think guest star mode is more fun than the main campaign. Even lots of the basic enemies have a pretty fun move set, not even mentioning the dream friends.

But that's not all! I also climbed Mountain 32 in Ice Climber. I occasionally get a hankering for Ice Climber, much as I like to complain about it's jumping, so once I sat down to do this, it only took a few minutes. A relatively quick one for any folks who are interested! I did not manage to get to the top of the bonus on my first go though, so decided to retry it until I got there.

And finally, I dove back into Paper Mario: The Origami King to beat the Ice Vellumental. I think this is a very underrated game, and this battle really shows off some of the unique gameplay options provided by the ring system. I hadn't played since release, so had to shake off some rust, but after a few deaths, I got into a good groove.

Another big thanks to @Chaotic Neutral and @WestEgg for running this. I am providing care to a family member after their surgery right now, so I'm off work. Since they spend most of their time sleeping but I still can't leave for long, this set of missions has really given me something diverse to focus on. Couldn't have asked for a better set of activities while I'm stuck at home. I'm sure I'll be back as I get some more of the challenges completed! Have to dig up a few games from the basement.

@Bulletbill10 awesome job on completing those challenges! I'm a fellow mega fan of Origami King. The Battle Lab really helped me to much better appreciate the regular and boss battles and how well-designed they are. At first I felt like the boss battles were kinda stressful with the timer, partly because I didn't really understand how to do them properly. Once I got the hang of it though I came to really look forward to the boss battles and they ended up being some of my favorite parts of a game filled with many parts that I loved.

That was close. Not easy jumping into 200cc after a while as evidenced by my final score (finished 6th in the Electrodome). @Chaotic Neutral

I'm definitely looking at doing the Cool, Cool Mountain challenge, and maybe DKCTF.

Knocked out a couple more short ones tonight. I somehow won my first 200cc race on Mt. Wario in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, but it was totally Mario Kart luck that caused that to happen, as you can see if you watch the video. Went from 7th to 1st in the last 30 seconds. I think I've been babied by the 200cc in Mario Kart Tour.

I also revisited Pikmin 3 Deluxe to get a new record on the phosbat. My new approach was to just bum rush him every time, and forget trying to light up the whole place.

I think I'm starting to run out of the lower hanging fruit. I started a new run of tropical freeze, and checked out xenoblade, where it looks like I'm just missing just a couple items on Mount Valek. I was also able to dig Luigi's Mansion, Wooly World, and Shake It (which I've never beaten) out of storage. I really think I might be able to snag them all.

0VX637u.jpg

@Chaotic Neutral for Nana Nana Popo. I missed taking a picture on the results screen itself, so I had to use the rewind feature to take a screenshot lol

edit: did the Ice Vellumental one as well:
ZkX8wHa.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, great job everyone!! Some of you are really burning through these, I might have made them too easy to last everyone for the month :p

Another one!

Chilly Rider

2UUX6oT.jpg
rEqKyb9.jpg

Wanted to play again Luigi's Mansion 2 for some time now so it was a great opportunity! Unfortunately, although the idea of the boss itself is really cool, I thought it was poorly executed, especially the nearly hidden time limit that makes no sense to me. Also, the game runs pretty bad?? It's definitely playable but wow, didn't expect such frames drops wtf
Don't know if I would ever have the courage to do it all over again. I tried so last year I guess and tutorial was so long I quit. Too bad because I have good memories with the game.

Next one is Woolly World! I'm doing World 5 :)
And after that I think I'll be done with this month challenges. Maybe I'll do the Animal Crossing one but not sure yet.

(Ping @Chaotic Neutral )

@Chaotic Neutral , They are noticeably easier challenges than previous events, but you won't hear me complaining!

You know what's not easy? Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. Fortunately, it throws lives at you like crazy. I got the Switch version for Christmas last year, but played through it a couple times on the Wii U. This was the first time I played through it with the goal of just beating it, and it's a much quicker adventure when you're not stopping to get all the kong letters and searching for puzzle pieces. I really love the popsicle factory world, especially the jelly level. Almost every world has a standout level or two though. The final boss took at least 15 tries though, and it's quite the slog. It was really nice to wail on him at the end. And the last world really give you those winter feelings.

Now I just need to remember how to find bopopolis...

9-F4-A4214-10-CB-4-AB9-A17-C-A7-D0776-B0-E23.jpg

A71-F2-D50-4-A72-4-F40-8-ED4-14058-C35-C387.jpg

Did the Pikmin 3 and Yoshi WW challenges. I realized after the fact that there was a boss room for yoshi, so should have done that. Not very good at controlling this game anymore (also didn’t bother to go for 100% in this game as you can tell). Might be it for me on challenges but could knock out 3-4 more if I really wanted to put some time into things.

@Chaotic Neutral

And the Yoshi's Woolly World one is done!

Snifberg the Unfeeling

Qntnhoq.jpeg

Having a good time with this one! The game is pretty cool, level design is for most time great with really good mechanics (World 3 is the best so far, it was so good). My only complain is the checkpoint system so badly designed. Well, not the checkpoints themselves, but more their positions. Not having a checkpoint before a bossfight is ridiculous, for example, because if you die you have to redo all the segment before him. That's stupid lol. It feels like checkpoint were placed randomly through the game. And it can be really frustrating sometimes.

Anyway, I'll finish it probably tomorrow. Still a good game with great ideas, so it's cool!

@Chaotic Neutral

And the Yoshi's Woolly World one is done!

Having a good time with this one! The game is pretty cool, level design is for most time great with really good mechanics (World 3 is the best so far, it was so good). My only complain is the checkpoint system so badly designed. Well, not the checkpoints themselves, but more their positions. Not having a checkpoint before a bossfight is ridiculous, for example, because if you die you have to redo all the segment before him. That's stupid lol. It feels like checkpoint were placed randomly through the game. And it can be really frustrating sometimes.

Anyway, I'll finish it probably tomorrow. Still a good game with great ideas, so it's cool!

@Chaotic Neutral
Woolly World is one of the best of Yoshi's game's, glad to see you enjoying it!

So, can we take it that the challenges are going to be a monthly fixture now - or have we just been fortunate to have a convenient theme to base these first three around in quick succession? Either way, it's great to see this new round!

As for my efforts here, I missed this thread for the first few days (the announcement needs updating!), but I'm a little caught up now and have been able to knock out my first few challenges...

Penguin Protector:
Mario-64.jpg

Fogless Steel:
Ocarina-of-TIme.jpg

Funky Mode Enthusiast:
Tropical-Freeze.jpg

Snifberg the Unfeeling:
Yoshis-Woolly-World.jpg

Ice Vellumental:
Origami-King.jpg

@Chaotic Neutral

Edit - one more, Nana Nana Popo:
Ice-Climber.jpg

Last edited:
So @Chaotic Neutral and @WestEgg, ready for a triple dose of Mario challenges? I sure was - all done with the plumber himself, of course. Gotta live up to the avatar, after all.

First off, Snow Whirler! I did this one on the train to work. I have a friend who's pretty good at the GameCube one. Maybe I can beat their high score one day?
e7fd410056a5cb7bbd7e597f77d2a68136cec769.jpg

Now as a special treat, for the next two challenges, we have videos! I just got a new capture device and I wanted to test it out. So next up is Extreme Skier! This video technically covers all of the Star Cup - can't help but play this game one Grand Prix at a time - so the Mount Wario portion begins at 7:12.

Last up, we got Penguin Protector! Besides being a test of my capture device, I also finally wanted to break out the NSO N64 controller for this one. It's pretty neat having a true wireless version of that old controller. I kinda wanna try it out with 2D games that require six buttons, the only N64 games that I played significantly that really pushed the D-Pad were Pokémon Stadium 1 and 2. Regardless, this wasn't a perfect run, but it was still under 20 minutes, so I ain't complaining.

Yes, I started a new file for this. Yes, I'm probably gonna play Mario 64 again this month. Why the heck not.

As for other badges to go for, I might do A Dream Above the Clouds - I have a spare Kirby Star Allies save file where I haven't completed that image. Could do a few runs of Guest Star to clear it. Chilly Rider wouldn't be too bad, just gotta readjust to Luigi's Mansion 2's controls. Enlightenment Achiever would give me an excuse to finally play Pikmin 3 Deluxe, and I might as well get back into Animal Crossing with Winter Villager...though I am still playing a lot of Pokémon, hah. Still, three of the Mario badges, can't argue with that.

Snifberg the Unfeeling:

ZO37jbM.jpg

Extreme Skier:

Z7vHEIR.jpg

I kind of realize now after linking these that the Kart one doesn't really show that it's 200 cc :/ if that doesn't count, no worries. I probably won't go through the trouble of unpacking my Wii U again. So many things to plug in, and my Gamepad joystick wasn't working, so I had to track down my pro controller...which needed to be charged. A lot of effort lol @Chaotic Neutral

Holy shit you lot are good! We'll have several people clearing all challenged before the holidays at this rate! 🙀

So, can we take it that the challenges are going to be a monthly fixture now - or have we just been fortunate to have a convenient theme to base these first three around in quick succession?

The rate of challenges will probably slow down after this one. At least we have nothing planned as of yet until next summer, although I myself have been thinking it would be fun to do something around the Easter holidays too, if I have time, and we very well might have some divine inspiration along the way. Maybe something when the Q1 '22 Direct speculation fever hits? I'd at least like to do something in the first quarter of '22.

But yeah, as of now this is the last challenge event that's absolutely set in stone until summer, AFAIK.

Edit: Also, I'm expecting my second kid in May so, depending on how that all goes, I'll either have a lot more or a lot less time for the site in H2 '22. :p So it really depends on how much free time @Dopply and other staff will have at that point, which I can't speak for. But, of course, as with everything on the site, we also always welcome any ideas and collab volunteering from the community, if anyone has a fantastic idea for an event they'd like to help run.

Last edited:
Paging @Chaotic Neutral and @WestEgg

Busted out the 3ds today to get the Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon mission. It turns out my phone isn't very good at taking pictures of that screen, but I think you get the idea. I don't have much memory of the game to be honest. Having recently played the original, and 3 not too long before that, Dark Moon is easily my least favorite.

I started working on getting the Iron Boots in Ocarina of Time. I decided to try my hands at some speed run strats, but I think it might take me longer than just doing normally. I did manage to get out of the forest and into zora's domain without doing any dungeons yet though!

Edit: I have now progressed to being adult Link, and am out of the temple of time, without having done any dungeons. It's pretty wild to me to me to have pretty much no items. I did pick up a bottle and deku stick/nuts because I unknowingly started out following an unusual run guide (reverse bottle adventure). Lol.

Last edited:
I put in about 4 hours into Ocarina of Time glitches today, tied myself in knots with realizing I needed a certain item or very advanced speedrun skills, and got so frustrated that I have given up and gone back to do things in order. I've got bombchus, a hylian shield, and the lens of truth in the first dungeon, but it doesn't do me much good. It ate up most of my game time today, but I did find time to get one challenge done.

Yoshi Wooly World - Sniffberg the Unfeeling

I greatly enjoyed playing Wooly World again. I played a few worlds to re-unlock Sniffberg from a previously started file, and felt right back at home. I also think that this game has among the best uses of amiibo, in addition to the original mario maker. While the levels are plenty hard, and even my main file doesn't have all items found, the boss himself wasn't too bad.

Sorry for the image heavy message, worked on a bunch of challenges at the same time.

First, here's the Ocarina of Time one. Always liked that mini dungeon despite usually not being fond of ice themed puzzles. I just enjoy the mood of the place in this one, with the music reminding me of Sonic Adventure's ice cave theme (forgot the real name of the ice level)
Snapchat-1106358061.jpg

The Super Mario 64 one. That challenge gave me the opportunity to give a go to the game on the N64 app, didn't want to go back to it after 100% it last year with SM3DAS, but it was fun and makes me want to redo the whole game with the N64 controller on the app.
Snapchat-623419604.jpg

Pikmin 3. Did it via the boss challenge mission. Absolutely destroyed him in 1 minute and didn't meet his minions lol.
Snapchat-966399977.jpg

Xenoblade. Fantastic zone ! Not much else to say. Always liked that encyclopedia thing in that game. Addictive way to make you want to explore the world. Can be annoying though when there's one final item that never pops up lol. Still missing a few in a world or two.
Snapchat-1679086134.jpg

Paper Mario TOK, via the battle lab. Took a picture at the finishing blow.
Snapchat-1107168973.jpg

Mario Party. Didn't took effort at all because my previous record was lame lol (and this one is also really low)
Snapchat-105173803.jpg

And the Kirby one. So cute.
Snapchat-1258928369.jpg

Will do the Animal Crossing and the Mario Kart at a later date in the month.

20211211-105834.jpg

Only got the Mario 64 one so far, will try to do the LM2 and MK ones before the end of the month!

I got the iron boots for the fogless steel badge!

Did you know that you once you have the master sword you can go right to get the iron boots? You don't need any new items. The only reason I couldn't do it when I glitched through the door of time is because I never opened the waterfall, and didn't have bombs to do one of a couple glitches. As an aside, I have re-fallen in love with the N64 controller rumble. I don't think there's been a rumble since that really hits the same. It shakes you up to your elbow on some of the big blows.

I think I just have animal crossing, xenoblade, mario party, and shake it left to do...

@Chaotic Neutral heres 2 more, LM, and XBC entry
IMG_4339.jpg

IMG_4343.jpg

Probably going for iron boots(thanks for the tips @Bulletbill10 ) then only ones left I’m considering since I don’t have to pull hardware out for is it ice climbers and Pm(tho that’s a toughie)

@WestEgg @Chaotic Neutral Here's my claim for the Shaken Santa badge.

I originally only played a few levels of Wario Land: Shake It before I fell off of it back int he Wii Era. It was a delight to return to now though! I lost my save file at some point, so had to start anew this time. I think I got through most of the game to get the badge, and will probably return to finish it off. It's the kind of game that's pretty easy to get through, but seems extremely difficult to 100% all challenges, and even getting all treasures seems like it would add a lot. The return runs to the start of the level seem like they would require you to practice a level several times to pull off with enough speed using the dash machines (?). I think my favorite levels were the level needed for the challenge, and the other secret level right before it. I generally find this game less frustrating than some of the other wario land games, but it fits in just fine with them and remains beautiful to look at despite the years. Can't beat a hand-drawn style.

@WestEgg for A Dream Above the Clouds:

kKBAaRL.jpg

I was enjoying playing through Star Allies again, so I ended up finishing the whole game. I don't like it as much as Triple Deluxe or Planet Robobot, but it's a pretty fun game all the same (albeit incredibly easy). I'm really looking forward to Forgotten Land next year.

Last edited:
@Chaotic Neutral final one for now

IMG_4353.jpg

Ice climbers and PM would be the most convenient ones left but I’m more likely to put time towards my actual backlog for the moment so we’ll see if they happen(Ice climbers is more likely)

I summon thee, @WestEgg and @Chaotic Neutral, to bestow upon me good christmas cheer and early presents in the form of badges since I've been a good boy as the images behind the spoilers will show.

ExtremeSkier.png

Extreme Skier
Win a 200CC race in Mario Kart 8’s Mount Wario course

I didn't expect to one-shot this after such a long time away from Mario Kart, but the AI really does struggle at this speed. I suspect 150 cc might have given me more trouble. As is I only lost Electrodome and was briefly worried because I figured the wide tracks suited the CPU racers, but then Mount Wario turned out not too open and just enough twisty, and I never lost the lead despite everything being so fast I didn't spot any of the shortcuts until I'd already whizzed past them.

famiboardsmidwinterhom0k5p.jpg

famiboardsmidwinterhob8jzh.jpg

famiboardsmidwinterhobnjc7.jpg

PenguinProtector2.png

Penguin Protector
Get all stars in Super Mario 64’s Cool, Cool Mountain stage

First time firing up the Nintendo Switch 64. First time playing Super Mario 64 since childhood. Still feels great. About the only thing not great is the camera and analogue movement with the Joy-Con stick. Won't blame me constantly understeering corners during penguin races on the Joy-Cons, tho. That's accurate to how I always used to fall to my death on the slide.

I had to look up how to get back up the mountain. Is that written on a sign I missed? Shouldn't have skipped some of them. Speaking of, after arriving on Bob-Battlefield's plateau, I tried to wall jump and couldn't pull it off. Could have sworn that move was in Mario 64 but I guess those wall jump areas were a fake memory. Fortunately the sixth star in Cool, Cool Mountain proved otherwise. And after a mechanics refresher from the sign, getting through the little parcour course was indeed a magical old time.

famiboardsmidwinterhosxj8y.jpg

WinterVillager.png

Winter Villager
Complete 5 seasonal DIY recipes in Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Did I really need four icy bear statues watching my river? No. But snowflakes were less annoying mats to gather than those damn ornaments. So bears and trees is what you get!

famiboardsmidwinterhodej7w.jpg

*I intend to delete the Twitter post in a couple days, but the pictures shall stay up.

Last edited:
Feeling under the weather tonight, so just a short entry for the winter villager badge in Animal Crossing New Horizons. It's a mishmash of things, as I tried to make items I never constructed before.

Raffle for participants has opened!
Prizes for this event are up! We now have an associated Midwinter Holiday Raffle for which badge holders in this even are eligible to enter! Six lucky badge holders will be eligible to win an eShop code for one of three new Nintendo games for this holiday season: Pokémon Brilliant Diamond, Pokémon Shining Pearl, or Shin Megami Tensei V!

Prizes for this event are up! We now have an associated Midwinter Holiday Raffle for which badge holders in this even are eligible to enter! Six lucky badge holders will be eligible to win an eShop code for one of three new Nintendo games for this holiday season: Pokémon Brilliant Diamond, Pokémon Shining Pearl, or Shin Megami Tensei V!

Holy moly, six prize games? That's incredibly generous, thank you!

I already have SMTV but I'm in for Pokémon.

Wow, amazing prizes! Strong appreciation to folks who contributed! I'll have gotten all my gifts by then too so I'll know what to pick if I win ;p

Awesome thanks! SMTV was on my consider list, we’ll have to see if I get lucky though XD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom