• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Metroidvania |ST| Navigation Aggregation

I only just found out that the Celeste team is coming out with a metroidvania

Between that Prince of Persia Tales of Kenzera and possibly Silksong this could be the best year for Metroidvanias ever

I got Supraland the other day off the strength of the demo, but unfortunately it's a bit deceiving. The whole "exploring a big open area looking for new abilities to reach new places" thing disappears immediately after that first hour contained within the demo, and it becomes a sequence of linear puzzle rooms more akin to something like Portal, and with periodic points of no return so you can't even take a break and go explore somewhere else for a while. I kept at it for a couple hours, but the "90% of players" puzzle was my breaking point. Not that specific bit, but by the time I got inside the building it became clear that it was fully a puzzle game and no longer something I was interested in bashing my head against trying to figure out how it worked.

There's this subtle difference between something like Zelda or Metroid and an actual puzzle game, which is that puzzle games in my experience always rely on withholding information. Zelda will generally lay out exactly what each tool and mechanic does, so it's just a matter of recognizing how to apply them. To an even greater extent, Metroid games will often specifically ensure you know how an item works in order to leave the room where you obtain it. In contrast, something like Baba Is You will make the solution to a puzzle be figuring out that it was possible to do something to begin with. I find that style of design annoying whether I guess the solution on the first or fiftieth try, which is why I don't play puzzle or adventure games. I hate riddles for pretty much the same reason. Supraland definitely started falling on the wrong side of that divide for me at this point. Shame as I was really enjoying it at first.

Watching a speedrun, it seems to alternate between sections in these two styles throughout the game? The later abilities look really cool and original, but that's only going to make the puzzles worse...

Last edited:
I started Afterimage tonight and after a few hours, I’m liking it a lot! Movement feels good and fluid, and starting off with an air dash is a nice change of pace. Combat also has a good feel to it and the game gives you a lot of different weapons right away to try out.

And holy cow this game is gorgeous. The very first starting area is already pretty, and then you step out into a bright plain and the hand-drawn look really sings. I also like the music a lot - it’s very chill and serene at least so far.

Minor complaints: The script/translation feels a bit off here and there, and the game overall has some slight rough edges to it. It also has some frame drops at least on Switch. And I currently have no clue what’s going on or what the plot is, but I’m sure that’ll come as I go so that doesn’t worry me.

Difficulty note: The game has two options, Normal and Advanced, but the way the game words them makes it sound like you should start on Normal and Advanced is for after you’ve beaten the game. But I found the game very easy at first and switched to Advanced and it seems a bit harder but not a ton - I’m liking it more. If you’re used to more Souls-like metroidvanias I’d suggest going with Advanced.

I started Afterimage tonight and after a few hours, I’m liking it a lot! Movement feels good and fluid, and starting off with an air dash is a nice change of pace. Combat also has a good feel to it and the game gives you a lot of different weapons right away to try out.

And holy cow this game is gorgeous. The very first starting area is already pretty, and then you step out into a bright plain and the hand-drawn look really sings. I also like the music a lot - it’s very chill and serene at least so far.

Minor complaints: The script/translation feels a bit off here and there, and the game overall has some slight rough edges to it. It also has some frame drops at least on Switch. And I currently have no clue what’s going on or what the plot is, but I’m sure that’ll come as I go so that doesn’t worry me.

Difficulty note: The game has two options, Normal and Advanced, but the way the game words them makes it sound like you should start on Normal and Advanced is for after you’ve beaten the game. But I found the game very easy at first and switched to Advanced and it seems a bit harder but not a ton - I’m liking it more. If you’re used to more Souls-like metroidvanias I’d suggest going with Advanced.

Advanced is the original difficulty of the game; they only added the normal difficulty fairly recently.

Advanced is the original difficulty of the game; they only added the normal difficulty fairly recently.
Good to know! I’m not sure why they worded it like that - makes it seem like Advanced is going to be crazy hard and require full knowledge of the game when it definitely doesn’t.

Wordless came out this month , The Indie Informer has an impressions writeup:

This game is amazing, a bit short, but my favourite Metroidvania of the last year.

We’ve got a pretty positive review for Momodora: Moonlit Farewell already:

https://noisypixel.net/momodora-moonlit-farewell-review/
I love Reverie Under the Moonlight but I skipped Minoria because I didn't like the artstyle one bit...was it any good? Moonlit Farewell looks amazing again :)

This game is amazing, a bit short, but my favourite Metroidvania of the last year.

I love Reverie Under the Moonlight but I skipped Minoria because I didn't like the artstyle one bit...was it any good? Moonlit Farewell looks amazing again :)
I liked Minoria. It was solid enough. By comparison, Reverie Under The Moonlight I really liked and still think about fondly years later. Still, I think it’s worth trying Minoria if you liked Momodora.

Okay Afterimage is a BIG game. Like, gigantic. You don’t really realize just how big it is until the game gives you a map marker destination that’s like… five times the distance you’ve traveled so far, and I was already 4-5 hours into it!

Seriously, I just jumped off a cliff and fell through an entire zone I hadn’t been to, and then landed in another zone I hadn’t been to. I fell so long the game had to briefly pull up a loading screen.

This isn't the thread for hacks, but I feel like this is going to have better visibility here, but I'm playing through ROMhack Super Metroid: Subversion and I really need to gush about it.

This is likely going to be what I write in completed games thread too but I honestly am so impressed I need more people to read and know about this game.

Super Metroid: Subversion might be the best ROMhack I've ever played.
With over double the amount of rooms from the original, completely new world, new music, new abilities, new pick-ups, and a ton of creativity, it's one of the best Metroid games of all time even if we count the official releases.

I'll try not to spoil a lot, but if you're waiting for Metroid Prime 4, I highly recommend to play this game as it borrows a lot of stuff from Prime series in addition to the original 1994 game it's based on.

Possibly the biggest inclusion is the logbook which acts as both a lore repository, a tutorial library, and a hint system. With the game being double the size of the original it's a very organic way to remind players of what they've seen and even tell them what else they need to do by featuring "obsticles" section with large red markers for unsolved puzzles.

This didn't actually help me from getting stuck, as by the time I realized I needed it I didn't understand how it works. My fault completely, frankly, but I do wish a tab called "Need new weapons" was a little more heavy on Ice Beam mention, as I saw it, read it, saw the big "UNSOLVED" and figured I need a Plasma Beam or something. Even now I feel like other hints are much better at reminding you what exactly you need, mentioning tight passages, gusts of wind, lasers, and so on.

The game does a pretty wonderful job of navigating the player through its mazes and I can remember only a few times where I went somewhere I didn't need to and ended up getting stuck, like with aforementioned Ice Beam where, after getting it, I remembered a nearby puzzle and went off on a loop around the world going away from my actual goal.

The game is still a hack, so it's clear that there are some things they couldn't change. Most bosses are about the same, with some being given a twist that's a bit too ROMhacky (Spore Spawn now has Mega Man-esque disappearing blocks and is on top of a much taller room?), but a few battles do have very interesting remixes.

However, there are things that are changed from the original in a way that feel like a miracle. For example, multiple times throughout the game player will change the state of the world! You remember those rare things in Metroid where a sector would blow up in Fusion or when a place would get overtaken by ice in Dread? This game does this, but I'd say what it does is even cooler. Some new mechanics also feel like they don't belong in Metroid, but in a good way. Instead of feeling out-of-place, I was just constantly surprised by this being a mod of a 30-year-old game.

One thing that's pretty much completely changed is the pick-up system. I don't care much for pick-ups in Metroid games. Getting 100% is my goal at the beginning, but after picking up samey upgrades I lose interest. After all, getting your 48th missile pick up just feels prefuntory.

Subversion goes the Prime way of balancing ammo adding its own touch which makes it much more appealing: Super Missiles cost 5 ammo, but Power Bombs cost 10, which means ammo pickups are much more desireable, not to mention that there are two varieties of them - one adding 5 to your max, and another adding 10.

Even beyond that, there are completely new pickups that make the game so much more interesting. Refuel tanks, damage and charge amps, space jump boosts all feel extremely important and made me feel way cooler and stronger than any pick-up from an official Metroid did in the past 20 years (except for E-tanks, I guess, those always felt important).

There is nearly nothing negative I can say about this game. Its pacing and new power-ups, new mechanics and enemies all add up to something that feels completely unique. The world is divided into even more areas than the original which helps make it memorable despite its size (don't worry, authors didn't just take Norfair and added 50 more rooms to it), and the surprises this game has in store rival official Metroid games.

This is by all accounts Super Metroid 2.

This is by all accounts Super Metroid 2.
mVgS3hu.gif

Downloading it right now

Afterimage continues to be just staggeringly massive, holy crap. I can kind of see why some people would bounce off this game and it definitely has some rough edges but I’m really enjoying it - it’s sort of a combination of Ender Lilies, Hollow Knight, and Ori in a weird way. If you like metroidvanias that are long and have huge areas to explore then I’d recommend it.

That said, if you like to have a firm idea of what’s going on and where to go, this is probably not the game for you. It sort of points you to a very distant location and just says “go there eventually, somehow. Have fun!” and you’re left to wander the world and explore at your leisure. Which personally I love, but I can see it not being everyone’s thing.

I tried the Prince of Persia demo and it was alright, but I didn't see what all the fuss is about....I didn't complete the demo, but I expected a lot more. People were saying that this had a lot of modern QoL improvements, but instead I saw a lot of modern design decisions that I strongly dislike:
  • Very strong emphasis on conversations: Please just give me an interesting cutscene, or better yet tell your story through gameplay. I don't need a new character and a whole conversation just to give me the map marking ability. It felt like almost every minimally important thing was buried below an inane conversation. And when the game starts, I don't want to sit through many conversations before I can make my first jump, I want to PLAY the game. It reminded me of the worst parts of Pikmin 4, how you had to go through 3 or 4 lines of dialogue every time you need to do anything and how they all added up over the course of the game to become reaaaaally bothersome.
  • Empty rooms: There are several rooms with nothing in them so you just have to walk through them.
  • General scale: I feel like the rooms may be a bit too big and they contribute to this feeling of the game being a bit empty and you just having to do nothing but walk too many times. Between this and the previous points I was soon running everywhere, but usually in good Metroidvanias I tend to go slowly the first time around looking for secrets and new paths...but I don't feel like I need that in this game, everything is so big that you can constantly run and still be able to scan everything as you go.
Glad I tried the demo, I won't be getting this day one and will wait until people have played it, the hype dies down and we can really see if it's as good as everyone is saying now.

I liked Minoria. It was solid enough. By comparison, Reverie Under The Moonlight I really liked and still think about fondly years later. Still, I think it’s worth trying Minoria if you liked Momodora.
Thanks! I ended up getting it as it was discounted in the eshop :)

Last edited:
So Afterimage just... doesn't end. It's still going, and I have no idea how long it is. I keep thinking I've uncovered most of the map and then I stumble upon yet another completely new zone - which often leads to even more new zones! I'm still liking it a lot, but wow is it massive.

I do only have a couple more 'metroidvania' upgrades left, but I have no clue what they are as I have all the staples now.

Also wow does this game borrow from Hollow Knight with the abilities in particular. Not that that's bad! But it's pretty blatant sometimes.

Finished Afterimage! Not quite 100% achievements, but I did all bosses/powerups/runes/glyphs, and all endings. The game does a really weird thing where once you beat the main first ending, it unlocks "new game plus" which isn't actually NG+ at all but instead you play as another character for 10 really short small isolated segments to fill in some backstory, and then you can go back to the main game to do a few more things and go fight the real final boss and get the true ending. I finished in around 35 hours.

Thoughts:

Afterimage is a really unusual game. It's very pretty, the combat is fast and fluid as is the movement, exploration is a treat, the map is absurdly massive but mostly remains fun to explore up to the end, and there are some cool abilities and ideas the game plays with. And the music is mostly good, too.

But it feels like it needed another good round of polish: There's some jank and rough edges, sure, but also the script and translation are very messy. The game is also really bad at explaining things to you like how basic mechanics work and how to do a lot of things that should be tutorialized at least a bit but aren't.

And probably the biggest downside: I'm all for having lore and obtuse story elements that make sense over time - I'm a huge Souls fan and I love that story approach! But this game takes that and does it badly, so that lots of things are just not explained at all or feel almost completely random or unconnected. Combined with the bad script and translation and in-game text, and the overall story and characters are pretty much incomprehensible.

Overall I'd give it an 8/10. If the plot/script/text were cleaned up and a lot of that side of the game improved it could easily be a 9. From a pure gameplay perspective is where the game really sings.

This is probably my favorite music track in the game, it's beautiful especially for a very small area you hear it in:

Been playing Monster Boy in the Cursed Kingdom lately. I tried the demo a few years back and was put off by the childish imagery and (ostensible) ease of difficulty. Picked it up again recently when it became available on PS+. Not only do I like it, but it's actually way more difficult than I expected. There are some areas where I've died north of a dozen times. Highly recommended, especially for those that might be put off by its kiddy image.

Already mentioned this in the game's ST but The Lost Crown is one of my favorite Metroidvanias and absolutely belongs in the conversation as one of the best in the genre

Already mentioned this in the game's ST but The Lost Crown is one of my favorite Metroidvanias and absolutely belongs in the conversation as one of the best in the genre
I hopped straight from Afterimage into PoP (metroidvania overload? Not possible) and it’s great so far. It starts off a bit… I won’t say slow because it’s not, maybe ‘conventional’ is a better word? But once you get past the first big boss or so it opens up more and the next few abilities are really cool and unique.

And unless I just missed an easier way to do it, the speedrun room in the four puzzle challenge bit of the Tower of Knowledge is mean. The timing feels so tight on it that I have to assume I’m missing something. But hey, I did beat it! Just with literally zero time remaining, lol.

And unless I just missed an easier way to do it, the speedrun room in the four puzzle challenge bit of the Tower of Knowledge is mean. The timing feels so tight on it that I have to assume I’m missing something. But hey, I did beat it! Just with literally zero time remaining, lol.
You did miss an easier way, but it's pretty dumb so I get why you did it the way you did. I had to look up a guide

The game gives you no indication of this but you can Shadow of Simurgh to a clone one of your previous timeline clones places. That puzzle is imo one of the game's few misses

You did miss an easier way, but it's pretty dumb so I get why you did it the way you did. I had to look up a guide

The game gives you no indication of this but you can Shadow of Simurgh to a clone one of your previous timeline clones places. That puzzle is imo one of the game's few misses
I could swear I tried that! Although it might have been that I made a clone before starting the puzzle and not during it, which I could see making a difference.

It took me a lot of tried to optimize movement, but apparently I found that if you're really, really quick and damn near perfect you can just beat it without doing that, though.

I could swear I tried that! Although it might have been that I made a clone before starting the puzzle and not during it, which I could see making a difference.
Yeah making the clone before doesn't work, it's only during your actual "runs"

Good job getting it to work though? I tried a bunch and just got frustrated and looked it up haha

Yeah making the clone before doesn't work, it's only during your actual "runs"

Good job getting it to work though? I tried a bunch and just got frustrated and looked it up haha
It's EXTREMELY tight. Like, it doesn't seem like the game should even let it work. You have to do the platforming run almost perfectly, and then you land on the button either as or even after the timer hits zero - and then with your next run, you go hug the gate on the wall and the instant it opens you have to air dash inside (I swear the screen was even already fading out as if I had failed). But then once you get a certain distance through the gate the game counts it as complete and lets you pick up the item.

What are people's thoughts on Grime? I've been looking into it and it looks like a really original MV with an amazing combat system, but I never see it in any conversations about the genre.

Been playing Monster Boy in the Cursed Kingdom lately. I tried the demo a few years back and was put off by the childish imagery and (ostensible) ease of difficulty. Picked it up again recently when it became available on PS+. Not only do I like it, but it's actually way more difficult than I expected. There are some areas where I've died north of a dozen times. Highly recommended, especially for those that might be put off by its kiddy image.
Best indie metroidvania ever made.

Finally Kuon / Umbraclaw has a release date for May. Now you can add dead cat metroidvania to the catalogue

I was looking for more info, is this a Metroidvania? All the quotes from Inti Creates I found peg it as just an action game. Looks cool though!

I was looking for more info, is this a Metroidvania? All the quotes from Inti Creates I found peg it as just an action game. Looks cool though!
I played the demo at Pax west and feel a lot of similarities with Blaster master zero (same director after all), and there was exploration and some areas that were clearly meant to use different abilites so my guess is that is a metrodivania

No, it’s a Meowtroidvania
Amazing lol
I played the demo at Pax west and feel a lot of similarities with Blaster master zero (same director after all), and there was exploration and some areas that were clearly meant to use different abilites so my guess is that is a metrodivania
I’ll throw it on the calendar then! Thanks :)

According to the official Twitter/X account, Grime should be releasing today on Switch, but I can't find it in the eshop. The US Nintendo web says the release date is TBD and the european one says it released in Summer 2022 (?), but neither give any information about the price or options to buy it.

The Switch version will finally be complete.... I haven't played it in 3 years lol but this will probably bring me back.

And I look forward to that sequel.

The Switch version will finally be complete.... I haven't played it in 3 years lol but this will probably bring me back.

And I look forward to that sequel.

Forgot to reply back after Yeah!ing prior, ooh I’m excited for this. I really dug Tevi, so it’d be fun to revisit Rabi Ribi on Switch with the DLC (I have the base game). Also looking forward to the sequel.

Ultros, the psychedelic trippy metroidvania that's on PC/PS4/PS5, is out tomorrow and this is an interesting review:

Sounds like it has a lot of very interesting ideas and is incredibly weird, but it also doesn't entirely work or might not be for everyone with how it does time-loop quasi-roguelite elements along with being a large metroidvania. Still, it looks very interesting and I might have to give it a try at some point!

seems to be plagued by frame rate issues.
hoooooooooly shit you weren't kidding

I'm usually not bothered by framerate stuff unless it's like a Sonic game or something that moves really fast but good lord

This isn't even 30fps, it's something way lower. And the judder is crazy, I'm having to take breaks because it's hurting my eyes and my head. This is.. whoa

I'm even missing some jumps and attacks because the game keeps dropping enough frames to visibly freeze during some actions.

I never understood why some people have such aggressive feelings about framerates, but if this is how they feel playing 30fps games, then I get it. Holy damn.

hoooooooooly shit you weren't kidding

I'm usually not bothered by framerate stuff unless it's like a Sonic game or something that moves really fast but good lord

This isn't even 30fps, it's something way lower. And the judder is crazy, I'm having to take breaks because it's hurting my eyes and my head. This is.. whoa

I'm even missing some jumps and attacks because the game keeps dropping enough frames to visibly freeze during some actions.

I never understood why some people have such aggressive feelings about framerates, but if this is how they feel playing 30fps games, then I get it. Holy damn.
This is how I feel about 9 Years of Shadows, I'm waiting for an update before finishing it because some parts of the late game are unplayable. The frame rate was pretty dicey throughout but it got to the point I was dying from attacks that came out of no where that I had no ability to dodge.

This is how I feel about 9 Years of Shadows, I'm waiting for an update before finishing it because some parts of the late game are unplayable. The frame rate was pretty dicey throughout but it got to the point I was dying from attacks that came out of no where that I had no ability to dodge.
The main issue with 9 years of shadow is actually the bad frame pacing. With exception of 2 fights (one which is completely optional) it's does manage to keep 30, but the frame pacing really complicates a lot of the action. Hopefully they will patch it, but it's a small studio so It can take some time

I have decided to finish Itorah out of spite.

Aside from the framerate issues and some nitpicks I have about the controls, it's honestly a neat game!

Just so yall see what I mean:

I can barely see what's going on 😅

Wow that’s really choppy and that camera is not hot at all.
oh speaking of the camera, it's super dynamic. That miniboss fight has the camera zoomed way out, but it'll often zoom waaaay in. And when it gets super choppy during platforming AND is really close to the character, that's where it was literally giving me headaches because the background and foreground are just zipping past but at like 20fps or worse 😅

I genuinely wanna like this game! It's insanely pretty and it's the type of simplevania that I enjoy, but boy howdy this performance is not ideal.

oh speaking of the camera, it's super dynamic. That miniboss fight has the camera zoomed way out, but it'll often zoom waaaay in. And when it gets super choppy during platforming AND is really close to the character, that's where it was literally giving me headaches because the background and foreground are just zipping past but at like 20fps or worse 😅

I genuinely wanna like this game! It's insanely pretty and it's the type of simplevania that I enjoy, but boy howdy this performance is not ideal.
I picked this up in a sale after Christmas, and it’s very rare for performance to bother me, but found Itorah a bit much even for me

HOLY SHIT IM GLAD I POWERED THROUGH, I JUST HIT THE MOST GORGEOUS PART OF THE GAME OMG ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

So it's my favorite area in the game, has my favorite music in the game, it's absolutely gorgeous, and is fantastical and surreal in a this-is-why-I-love-videogames sort of way.

What's the place called? Oh uh, lemme check...

..."Storm Chunks."

So it's my favorite area in the game, has my favorite music in the game, it's absolutely gorgeous, and is fantastical and surreal in a this-is-why-I-love-videogames sort of way.

What's the place called? Oh uh, lemme check...

..."Storm Chunks."
Storm what? ...oh Chunks...
1200px-O%27Chunks_Artwork-_Super_Paper_Mario.png

Update on Itorah:

I am moving quickly now. Some of the platforming is irritating because the character actually moves so fast that I often overshoot platforms, and since there's no D-pad controls (stick-only in a 2D sidescroller should be illegal) it's hard for me to do fine corrections mid-air. Plus the game alternates between jumping forward with the same amount of speed as you run, or jumping really slowly as if from a standstill, and I never know which it'll do so I miss a bunch of jumps that way too. It's really weird!

But I have a few more movement upgrades now and I can absolutely fly through some areas. The framerate's getting worse but I'm actually kinda getting used to it! Like there are some points where I'm wall-jumping without even seeing myself hit the wall because it's dropping that many frames. It's to the point where I actually think it's funny now, and am actively trying to outrun the game. It's like playing a 2D Sonic where you go so fast you end up running off the screen, except here I'm trying to move so quickly through the rooms that I literally can't see what I'm doing from the framedrops. I'm kinda kicking ass at it tbh. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom