• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Metroid |ST| Trust The Process

Are we finally seeing Metroid Prime 4's re-reveal in the next Nintendo Direct?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The future looks bright for Metroid once again.

I'm starting to feel that a holiday 2023 release for Prime 4 is very possible.

I'm just so excited to be living a Metroid renaissance. I'm so ready for anything that comes next, what an amazing franchise.

Don't forget about Metroid 6 in 2024.
If Prime 4 ends up being holiday 2023, I'm fully on the boat of Metroid 6/Dread 2 in late 2024/early 2025.

Then we have Prime 2 and 3 remasters coming after that, maybe an experimental 3rd person game(would a Metroid game with 3D World perspective camera work?), Prime 5 sometime in the future...

Just like Adam told us

: Fusion ending sentence]
"Do not worry. One of them will understand. One of them must."

Super Metroid saved my life, then Fusion did it again and Dread did it again last year. I think the sole reveal of Prime Remastered gave me new life and some oxygen to breath this year. I love Metroid. And I love Metroid -Fami!!

God Iā€™m giddy thinking about the future of the series.

Right now weā€™re still in the ā€œreappraise Metroid fansā€ phase. Dread was pretty faithful to the Metroid formula, and I predict Prime 4 will be as well. So weā€™re just getting stellar Metroid style games, which is amazing.

But honestly, with Metroid 6 especially, I think Nintendo will take some more risks. Change up the structure, introduce brand new lore elements. And honestly? Iā€™m fine with that.

My biggest regret about Other M isnā€™t the game itself, itā€™s that I think it scared Nintendo from pursuing a potentially cool direction for the series - a fast paced 3rd person 3D Metroid game.

When the series was on hiatus, all I wanted were just some great traditional Metroid games. Thereā€™s nothing quite like them. But now that weā€™re getting that, I would love to see more risks.

Although honestly I do mean that more for the 2D/ā€œmainā€ series, while I still find them unique in the industry, 2D Metroid-likes are way more common that anything resembling Prime. Thereā€™s nothing out there that scratches that itch, so Iā€™m fine with Prime being more safe for the next couple of entries, just with a few modern enhancements

Last edited:
Metroid people, humor me a bit:

I've played several Metroid games and enjoyed them for the most part, but the only one I've actually finished is, I must admit, Super (which is an incredible game and one of my favorites). I enjoy the 2D formula a lot and I got pretty far in both Fusion and Zero Mission, but as you know when you put down a game like that for a while it can be hard to pick them back up. I think when Fusion and Zero Mission hit NSO I'll give them another try from the beginning. While I do want to go through Prime Remastered, I'm probably waiting for a sale on it.

That leaves Samus Returns and Dread. I got both on sale but haven't started either (yeah I know I'm one of Those People). I'm honestly thinking of starting with Samus Returns and then going to Dread. Or if I play Dread first, will that make it harder to go back to Samus Returns? Either way, all this talk about Metroid makes me realize I really need to set some time aside to work on my backlog for the series, so I'd be happy to hear any input you guys have.

I've played several Metroid games and enjoyed them for the most part, but the only one I've actually finished is, I must admit, Super (which is an incredible game and one of my favorites). I enjoy the 2D formula a lot and I got pretty far in both Fusion and Zero Mission, but as you know when you put down a game like that for a while it can be hard to pick them back up. I think when Fusion and Zero Mission hit NSO I'll give them another try from the beginning. While I do want to go through Prime Remastered, I'm probably waiting for a sale on it.

That leaves Samus Returns and Dread. I got both on sale but haven't started either (yeah I know I'm one of Those People). I'm honestly thinking of starting with Samus Returns and then going to Dread. Or if I play Dread first, will that make it harder to go back to Samus Returns? Either way, all this talk ab

Dread is a much better game than Samus Returns. If you're worried about putting them down and picking them back up then Dread is the better option, simply because it's a lot more difficult to put down and is a fantastic ride from start to finish.

Samus Returns is fine, but not really that great. It's a remake of the weirdest, and probably weakest, 2D Metroid. The controls are on point and it feels good. It's at the same time the exact remake that Metroid 2 needs and a somewhat disappointing entry that ends up missing the feel of Metroid 2.

That leaves Samus Returns and Dread. I got both on sale but haven't started either (yeah I know I'm one of Those People). I'm honestly thinking of starting with Samus Returns and then going to Dread. Or if I play Dread first, will that make it harder to go back to Samus Returns? Either way, all this talk about Metroid makes me realize I really need to set some time aside to work on my backlog for the series, so I'd be happy to hear any input you guys have.
If you're pretty much certain that you're willing to commit to finishing it, Samus Returns before Dread would be the way to go. SR is a lot of fun, and a good game in its own right, but yeah, playing Dread first would make SR a bit difficult to go back to. Several of the mechanics that were introduced in SR were heavily refined in Dread. Both games are worth your time, and I hope you end up enjoying one, the other, or both.

I wish Metroid 6 would focus more on ambience, atmosphere and exploration. I loved Dread to bits, but the game feels claustrophobic, the environments are too narrow and packed with stuff, and there is no time to stop and take in the atmosphere of the space. That made the game have it's own unique feel and was fine for one entry, but I would like the series to return to it's roots with ample spaces that you explore at a slower pace. That's why I still have Super as my favorite entry, no other was able to capture the feeling of being in a solitary alien planet as well as that game did.

I never actually played Samus Returns and I'm in no rush to, it doesn't seem to be an essential game as per its reception. A remaster that makes it 60fps and HD would probably make me buy it, but right now I'm fine not having played it.

And that's mainly because I've played Metroid 2 and despite what people say, it's a great game and I'm completely satisfied with that being my experience with the second part of the saga. I doubt Samus Returns was able to recreate the atmosphere of that game that I loved so much, so I think the original will always be my favorite.

As for you, I think you'd be better playing the best entries in the series to get into the groove and then visit the more divisive titles later. Dread is an absolute must play and it would be a waste not to do it because you were burned out by SR. So I'd recommend playing Dread first.

If you're worried about the story, just don't. Metroid 2's story can be summarized in two lines. If you absolutely must play it before Dread, try the original on NSO, it's free anyway, and if you enjoy retro titles it can be a blast. If you will really worry about story though, Fusion is the game you should play before Dread, it's the most plot heavy one (although it's still light) and it's definitely that one that has a bigger impact on Dread's plot.

I wish Metroid 6 would focus more on ambience, atmosphere and exploration. I loved Dread to bits, but the game feels claustrophobic, the environments are too narrow and packed with stuff, and there is no time to stop and take in the atmosphere of the space. That made the game have it's own unique feel and was fine for one entry, but I would like the series to return to it's roots with ample spaces that you explore at a slower pace. That's why I still have Super as my favorite entry, no other was able to capture the feeling of being in a solitary alien planet as well as that game did.
Yeah I really, really don't care for how the 2D series is starting to become focused on combat and not exploration or ambience. It feels like the devs care more about making hard indie-style combat games rather than sequels to Metroid. What made Metroid so unique was that atmosphere and exploration and its disappearing. Dread feels more like it took inspiration from Hollow Knight than Super, but only the parts of Hollow Knight that pertain to combat and difficulty and not all the parts that retain to Metroid style exploration.

To be fair, Fusion started this. But that makes it worse to me: we've had 20+ years of 2D Metroid taking more inspiration from a divisive duck in the franchise rather than games like Super or Prime, with the only break in-between being Zero Mission. At this point there's no reason to think the trend will change, especially with Dread's reception. Clearly Dreads reception means im in a minority, which makes me kind of sad. It means that it's very unlikely much will change in the future. At least we still have Prime hopefully.

Yeah I really, really don't care for how the 2D series is starting to become focused on combat and not exploration or ambience. It feels like the devs care more about making hard indie-style combat games rather than sequels to Metroid. What made Metroid so unique was that atmosphere and exploration and its disappearing. Dread feels more like it took inspiration from Hollow Knight than Super, but only the parts of Hollow Knight that pertain to combat and difficulty and not all the parts that retain to Metroid style exploration.

To be fair, Fusion started this. But that makes it worse to me: we've had 20+ years of 2D Metroid taking more inspiration from a divisive duck in the franchise rather than games like Super or Prime, with the only break in-between being Zero Mission. At this point there's no reason to think the trend will change, especially with Dread's reception. Clearly Dreads reception means im in a minority, which makes me kind of sad. It means that it's very unlikely much will change in the future. At least we still have Prime hopefully.
Don't worry, I'm in the minority there with you.

Just adding to the "Do Samus Returns first if you want to get the most enjoyment out of it" crowd.

I never actually played Samus Returns and I'm in no rush to, it doesn't seem to be an essential game as per its reception. A remaster that makes it 60fps and HD would probably make me buy it, but right now I'm fine not having played it.

And that's mainly because I've played Metroid 2 and despite what people say, it's a great game and I'm completely satisfied with that being my experience with the second part of the saga. I doubt Samus Returns was able to recreate the atmosphere of that game that I loved so much, so I think the original will always be my favorite.

As for you, I think you'd be better playing the best entries in the series to get into the groove and then visit the more divisive titles later. Dread is an absolute must play and it would be a waste not to do it because you were burned out by SR. So I'd recommend playing Dread first.

If you're worried about the story, just don't. Metroid 2's story can be summarized in two lines. If you absolutely must play it before Dread, try the original on NSO, it's free anyway, and if you enjoy retro titles it can be a blast. If you will really worry about story though, Fusion is the game you should play before Dread, it's the most plot heavy one (although it's still light) and it's definitely that one that has a bigger impact on Dread's plot.

Yes, absolutely

I'm not sure yet action is the focus, we don't have enough instancies to conclude that's a pattern yet, imo.

Fusion imo wasn't action focused, I see it more as trying to make Metroid more cinematic and having a more involved narrative, using a more linear structure to enable that, which took away a bit of the focus on exploration. Dread I believe was definitely intended to be more action oriented, but it's still one entry in a group of 5 were each had different priorities (except for Super which is basically an expanded retelling of 1).

I still believe Metroid 6 will try something new instead of just iterating on Dread.

I think you should start with Samus Returns. It's a pretty good game, problems and all. Just be prepared that yes it is repetitive and yes, the Mercury Steam games are pretty long compared to the other 2D titles.

Definitely play Samus Returns first. Dread improves on Samus Returns's gameplay and controls so much that it would be very difficult to play them in reverse order. Samus Returns, in retrospect, feels like a test run of Dread.

Also, as much shit as I give the game, I still like Dread. It's just not what I expect out of Metroid.

After beating Metroid Prime Remaster, marking my first replay of Prime, here's how I'd rank the games:

1. Super Metroid (my second playthrough where I learned how to play the game with sequence breaking heavily changed my opinion, I love this game)
2. Metroid Prime (i think my replay made it go down a bit, but ill replay it on hard again later this year and I expect it to shoot back up)
3. Metroid: Zero Mission (super underrated by the community, honestly don't get it)
4. Metroid Fusion (probably the best linear Metroid will get)
5. Metroid Dread
6. Metroid Samus Returns

1 and 2 are top 10 games for me.

I'm really hungering for more Metroid and might start a replay of Dread soon.

Metroid 6 just needs to pull together the snappy movement and combat encounters of Dread with the atmosphere and mystery of Super/Prime.

I don't think Dread was too far away on either front tbh - a better soundtrack would have been a boon.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I think I'll start Samus Returns before too long, maybe after I get 100% in Wario Land 3, another classic Metroidvania.

FFS 98% complete. Backtracked through the whole game with the music off wearing my airpods and still can not find the last missile expansion.

Prime 1 remains the only Metroid game I havenā€™t 100%ed, and Iā€™ve now finished it 4 times.
Prime 2 and even more so 3 really streamlined the end game mopping up of all the items, with the screw attack, teleporting, samusā€™s ship and most importantly telling you how many items are in each area and how many of them you have collected.

Tired now as Iā€™ve been surviving off 5 hours sleep a night because the games so damn good. My MVC2 Arcade 1up got delivered on Thursday and Iā€™ve barely touched it because I couldnā€™t drag myself away from Metroid.

Now bring on Echoes and corruption!

I have no idea what to expect from Metroid Prime 4 othervthan the feel of Exploration, Isolation and scary Mystery.

Samus after Dread chilling in Space far away from the Galactic Federation. She receives an SOS call. Again ? Sigh. Lets go. Oh a planet in Space with a big orbital station. But they immediately open fire at Samus ship. She get's hit and crash landing in a big ocean. Great, what now?

Make it Metroid Prime, but Subnautica with an big open underwater World to explore, full of waves, currents and Leviathan- Aliens.

But Metroid is a Metroidvania, so probably no full Open World. So make it Metroid Prime, but Bioshock with an mysterious Underwater City. What's going on there? What are those ghost like beings attacking you? Why is there a big lift that goes up to a enormous tower and down into the planet?

Okay let's go down first. Make it Metroid Prime but Hollow Knight 3D. Are those big Phazon- Mines with a swarm of Blobb- like monsters chasing you?( They even connect from small tobgreater beings - bah) It's going down even more into the dark abyss labyrinth full of Insecteroids teasing Samus in the darkness. Even deeper down, Metroid Prime suddenly goes Doom. As you get nearer to the planets core, big magma caverns are open up and demon like creatures hunting you.

Urgh. Nope out of here. Better went the opposite direction. Take the lift upwards. There are strange areas and platforms up there. There's a jungle with trap like plants and ??? big dinosaur- like creatures hunting you?

The next plattform is ? What now? Ice and Snow? Just why? Next please.

Okay this is a big mechanized and abandoned city in the sky. From time to time the big city is hunted by strong winds and lightning storms. Also there a mechanical walkers and drones that try to kill you. Some kind of self defend mechanism?

It turns out the big tower with it's different areas are connecting the Underground mines and the underwater city with the sky city and the space station in the stratosphere. Like Metroid Prime but Xenoblade Chronicles 2 or what?

But now we are at a dead end. There are some strange ruins from a ancient civilisation that say the lift to the Space Station is locked because of great danger up there blablabla. To secure that the danger never ever get released, we hide some ancient relicts on certain places, secured by mighty guardians. Also we dump some of them into the depths of the ocean - lulz - signed ancient civilisation.

Umph okay. So take your newly discovered upgrades and find that ancient keys. After a lot of hours of backtracking and hidden paths, we finally made it to the space station. You will uncover now what's going on. Who are those creatures that following you from time to time, why Sylux us hunting you and why some space pirates are there at well ,( Oh i didn't mention that? Well, now you know) Now it's the final phase of the game.

It's still Metroid Prime, but Alien Isolation! Some shitty indestructible Alien being is hunting Samus in the Orbital Station and you have to play hide and seek with this Ultimate Creature of Destruction. Luckily you find the Stealth Suite and the Silent Beam that helps a lot. Finally you uncover the last secrets, that this planet was some kind of chozo- bio-mechanized-mutant weapon program that went wrong. You find a way to kill this Ultimate Creature of Destruction, burn it all down and get the f*** out of this planet. / The End

Call it Metroid Prime 4 Vertigo or Metroid Prime 4 Survive or Metroid Prime 4 Isolation or somewhat like that. The 100% teaser scene is a hint to Metroid Prime 5, that plays at a dyson sphere around the sun...

!!!Well as you see. I have no clue what to expect from this game at all!!!

Me after replaying Prime and starting a Dread replay:

ok Nintendo I'm done with Tears of the Kingdom now, where's Prime 4????

Well

I got 100% in Wario Land 3

Then I was like "before I start Samus Returns maybe I'll play the original on NSO for a bit for kicks"

But now I'm kinda into it

So I might beat that first before playing the 3DS remake

And beaten

Despite some issues, like save point starvation and well, not having a map, I honestly had a good time with this. You can tell it's extremely ambitious for an early Game Boy game and Samus gets a lot of cool moves here, even stuff like the Spider Ball really adds a lot of depth to exploration. I liked the slower paced, more lowkey vibe, almost felt like an 8 bit horror game at moments.

So yeah, I liked it. Definitely nowhere near as unplayable as I was lead to believe. GBC palette looked great with it too. So I'll probably play Samus Returns before too long to compare.

And beaten

Despite some issues, like save point starvation and well, not having a map, I honestly had a good time with this. You can tell it's extremely ambitious for an early Game Boy game and Samus gets a lot of cool moves here, even stuff like the Spider Ball really adds a lot of depth to exploration. I liked the slower paced, more lowkey vibe, almost felt like an 8 bit horror game at moments.

So yeah, I liked it. Definitely nowhere near as unplayable as I was lead to believe. GBC palette looked great with it too. So I'll probably play Samus Returns before too long to compare.
one of the things that SR does better than the original is the whole ā€œmorph ball and get eaten by the queenā€ thing is actually telegraphed pretty well throughout the whole game. also omega metroids are awesome to fight in SR, whereas theyā€™re nothing special in the original.

And beaten

Very underrated entry, and as you said, a super ambitious game for the Gameboy. It's pretty crazy what they were able to accomplish with it. And so many abilities we take for granted were first introduced in it like the spiderball, spacejump, spring ball, plasma beam, spazer beam, the look of the varia suit, etc.

Also as you said it almost feels like a straight up horror game at times. This was also true of the OG Metroid, and pretty much the main reason why I prefer the OG games to their remakes.

Ok guys, hear me out.

What if in Prime 4 we have to fight Kraig, and to damage him, we go into morph ball mode and go into his bellybutton to get inside his stomach and damage his guts

Think about it

Edit: im leaving the kraig typo

Ok guys, hear me out.

What if in Prime 4 we have to fight Kraig, and to damage him, we go into morph ball mode and go into his bellybutton to get inside his stomach and damage his guts

Think about it

Edit: im leaving the kraig typo
Kraig... Spowser?

Kraig is overexposed! It's time to finally bring back Crocomire!
I think Prime 4 should mostly have original bosses, but yeah, if they're going to bring back someone from Super, on further reflection it should either be Crocomire or Phantoom or Draygon. That last one would be really cool too.

you've played Dread, though? :D
I think this is a situation where a game did something, I forgot about it, and when it popped up in my subconcious I was like "yes! I made this idea!"
Not sure because I've always done Kraid 'normally', but I think I learned about this and just forgot oof

Kraig is overexposed! It's time to finally bring back Crocomire!
As long as he looks like this

King-K-Rocomire.jpg

Draygon seems like the most difficult to adapt to 3D, but that makes it all the more intriguing
Feels like a boss that's hard to make fun in 3D since Draygon's gimmick and appeal is pretty much just in how you (can) kill him and just doing a version of that "but it's in three dimensional space" doesn't sound too exciting. Personally I don't see the need to remake every boss from Super Metroid into 3D. Metroid as a franchise is already way too weighed down by three games from 86-94. More original stuff. More things that have nothing to do with Famicom, the hatchling, or Super.

I'm hoping they can come up with new things that fit seamlessly into the framework of the iconic stuff. Unless they're literally remaking those games, I don't want to see any of those clowns again in a new game.

Draygon seems like the most difficult to adapt to 3D, but that makes it all the more intriguing
I always thought Draygon wouldā€™ve fit perfectly into Torvus Bog Underground in Prime 2. Maybe itā€™s the Super music lol.

Especially because MP2 lacked Ridley

But I also commend it for not reusing any previous bosses so itā€™s whatever

By the way how do you guys feelnthe bosses in Prime 2 and Prime 3 compared to Prime 1 in quality? I will admit replaying it after almost a decade made me realize that there's only like 3 good bosses in Prime 1, and I haven't played 2 much or 3 at all so I'm curious.
Personally I don't see the need to remake every boss from Super Metroid into 3D. Metroid as a franchise is already way too weighed down by three games from 86-94. More original stuff. More things that have nothing to do with Famicom, the hatchling, or Super.
I really only meant bring back one boss though, I think more than that would be excessive.

I do agree mostly original is the way to go, but the fact that Draygon would have to have some serious thinking on how to adapt into 3d is part of the fun.

By the way how do you guys feelnthe bosses in Prime 2 and Prime 3 compared to Prime 1 in quality? I will admit replaying it after almost a decade made me realize that there's only like 3 good bosses in Prime 1, and I haven't played 2 much or 3 at all so I'm curious.

I really only meant bring back one boss though, I think more than that would be excessive.

I do agree mostly original is the way to go, but the fact that Draygon would have to have some serious thinking on how to adapt into 3d is part of the fun.
In terms of big bosses, Prime 2 especially beats it. prime 3 I think too.

And honestly itā€™s not just the big bosses, the latter two games have a solid amount of minibosses that are great and unique fights - the ing guardians that use your abilities in Prime 2, and the bounty hunters in Prime 3 (each area has ANOTHER miniboss in addition to the bounty hunters too I think).

Prime 1 has some in Chozo Ruins with the hive mecha and incinerator drone. I guess you could count the plated beetle and first adult sheegoth too? But those become normal enemies later. Then you just have the Elite Pirates/Phazon Elite and those have an intimidating boss-like presence but can go down in seconds.

I honestly think thereā€™s too big a gap between Thardus and Omega Pirate, game couldā€™ve used another big boss in between those. Especially because right after OP, you go straight to Meta Ridley then Prime.

So yeah overall I think the sequels improve a lot on boss fights, especially 2. Helped by both more complex ā€œmainā€ bosses, as well as better and more unique minibosses between them.

I havenā€™t fought Prime yet in the remaster but I think Iā€™d rank the bosses

1. Omega - love how hard or easy he can be depending on how you go about it
2. Meta Ridley - great skill test in general
3. Flaaghra - great environment use
4. Thardus - bit of a sponge though maybe I should try Supers next time, not that interesting of a strategy to beat him

Prime 2 easily has the best bosses for me. I found 3's bosses also pretty good overall but when comparing all three games it's got to be 2.

Prime 2 easily has the best bosses for me. I found 3's bosses also pretty good overall but when comparing all three games it's got to be 2.
Another thing about 2 that may be an unpopular opinion is that I loooove how many bosses used the morph ball. Like thereā€™s 4 straight up morph ball fights I can think of

The boost guardian may have a bad rep and I can see why, but the Spider Guardian (fight me), Caretaker Class Drone, and Power Bomb Guardian are all really cool fights. Echoes really goes all out with the morph ball and I think the game is better for it and I missed some of that complexity playing Prime.

And I just realized when talking about bosses above, I forgot Echoes ALSO has the Dark Samus fights lol. Yeah it kinda stomps Prime boss wise

Feels like a boss that's hard to make fun in 3D since Draygon's gimmick and appeal is pretty much just in how you (can) kill him and just doing a version of that "but it's in three dimensional space" doesn't sound too exciting. Personally I don't see the need to remake every boss from Super Metroid into 3D. Metroid as a franchise is already way too weighed down by three games from 86-94. More original stuff. More things that have nothing to do with Famicom, the hatchling, or Super.

I'm hoping they can come up with new things that fit seamlessly into the framework of the iconic stuff. Unless they're literally remaking those games, I don't want to see any of those clowns again in a new game.
Oh there's no need to for sure, I just think they could make something incredible out of Draygon, especially with alternate strategies

I always thought Draygon wouldā€™ve fit perfectly into Torvus Bog Underground in Prime 2. Maybe itā€™s the Super music lol.

Especially because MP2 lacked Ridley

But I also commend it for not reusing any previous bosses so itā€™s whatever
I could see that, especially post Grapple beam, but yeah Prime 2 doing its own thing was definitely for the best

Prime 2 has what I consider to be the best boss in the series

Thoughts on a hard more dread replay 2 years later.

The game is still so fucking fun. Just feels so good to play, and Iā€™ve enjoyed the boss fights (just beat Kraid so far). Just brilliantly designed. Canā€™t wait to take on Z-57 and Raven Beak especially later on. Hands down needs to be the bar for 2D Metroids going forward.

Very grateful for the checkpoints because I already thought enemies hit hard in normal mode, especially true in hard lol.

Itā€™s hard for me to talk about the map design/ā€œguiding hand,ā€ because I have lots of thoughts. I do agree with those that feel it goes too hard on limiting exploration sometimes. Playing Prime remastered makes me miss that slower paced satisfaction of mentally mapping your surroundings and going back, and even super had that feeling too and thatā€™s one thing I think Dread lacks.

But at the same time I appreciate it. Between how fast Samus moves, and throw the EMMI zones on top of that, many of which you donā€™t have time to get your bearings and mentally note stuff because youā€™re trying to avoid certain death, Iā€™m thankful that, most of the time, I end up where I need to be even if I didnā€™t feel like I ā€œdeserveā€ it lol. I feel like I get disoriented sometimes because youā€™re just speeding through, and the map can be too cluttered at times so I donā€™t really reference it a lot.
The game still does pretty neat things with its level design, I love the sort of setpiece where youā€™re scaling to the top of a burning cavern thatā€™s breaking down in front of you, with the Varia suit at the top which allows you to immediately loop back down through it because you can resist the heat.

EMMIs arenā€™t something I want in every Metroid going forward, but I think the level design in their zones is underrated. Theyā€™re super handcrafted when you pay attention, with various shortcuts and obstacles along them that use Samusā€™ various abilities quickly to weave in and out of. They even took into account places where youā€™d fire the Omega Cannon, and itā€™s satisfying to find the ā€œright spot.ā€ Also feel like a god because Iā€™ve been NAILING their counters somehow lol.

Artistically I think the game is still pretty underrated, it looks pretty great in certain rooms, especially Burenia and Ghavoran. Itā€™s the mechanical areas like EMMI Zones and Dairon that drag it down. Lots of cool background details as well, like Z-57 getting created in Dairon.

Overall tonally, Dread continues with Fusion and Other M going a more ā€œhorror-liteā€ route for the series over the moody and atmospheric Super and Prime. I think most of its design decisions lend well to that. But I would like to see future 2D Metroids go back to Super and Prime-style and slow down the pace, WITH BETTER MUSIC PLEASE. Honestly, itā€™s still the OST that is really only the TRUE big issue that I have with Dread, I donā€™t even mind the artificial gating that much in the context of the game.

Back
Top Bottom