• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Metroid |ST| Trust The Process

Are we finally seeing Metroid Prime 4's re-reveal in the next Nintendo Direct?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I know it won't happen, but I'm kind of hoping Prime 4 swerves and is a 3rd person game. The single player FPS genre is basically dead outside of Bethesda, meanwhile anything remotely popular is 3rd person.
Me and most of the metroid fanbase would hate that

But not me

m9C7sVH.jpg

I know it won't happen, but I'm kind of hoping Prime 4 swerves and is a 3rd person game. The single player FPS genre is basically dead outside of Bethesda, meanwhile anything remotely popular is 3rd person.
Metroid Prime offers such a different experience from a standard FPS though, and if you took it out of that first-person perspective, it wouldn't be Metroid Prime.

We waited six years to even see Prime 4 with the expectations it’d resemble the prior three games. I’d be highly disappointed if it wasn’t another first person adventure.

I'd like another go at a 3rd person Metroid game, myself, but I don't really want Metroid Prime to change to that unless it's an alternate mode like I think Resident Evil 8 had. But even then I'm not sure how well that would work (I haven't played RE8).

Metroid Prime offers such a different experience from a standard FPS though, and if you took it out of that first-person perspective, it wouldn't be Metroid Prime.
I don't even like FPSs and I still agree with this.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a 3rd person Metroid, but it wouldn't feel right to call it Prime.

It would be interesting if they gave you the option to alternate between first person and third person, but I agree first person is a core part of Prime's identity.

Hopefully despite Other M someone takes a stab at a proper third person Metroid game someday.

I feel the opposite towards the series, I want prime to stay first person but 2D metroid to evolve into 3D third person. There's nothing left for metroid to explore in the 2D space and I feel Dread emphasized that.

Last edited:
I feel the opposite towards the series, I want prime to stay first person but 2D metroid to evolve into 3D third person. There's nothing left for metroid to explore in the 2D space and I feel Dread emphasized that.

Disagree with the latter statement. If that were the case the new PoP game wouldn't be copying so much of what Dread did.

I definitely would love a 3D third person game but 2D should stick around as well. I wish more people within EPD itself wanted to/were allowed to work on Metroid. Or maybe Next Level could have another crack at it in between working on their LM games.

There have been theories that Sylux might be Samus' brother, and I feel that would be pretty huge, and could set him up to be a staple for future games. I'm really interested to see his design, cause he looks absolutely ridiculous in Hunters.
Oh god, please no secret Samus sibling! That'd be the most cliché thing they could do, especially after the computer in Fusion turned out to be her dad, and the main villain in Dread also turned out to be her dad 🙃 I get creating personal connections between Samus and the characters around her, but "I was your brother all along!" just seems to me like it could come across super hackneyed. I dunno.

I think it's safe to assume Sylux will get a cool redesign. I'm most curious to see Samus herself in a brand new suit, though. It's probably my #1 hope for what we see in the trailer.
Crackpot Theory:

Sylux is actually just Samus from a future where the Federation does try to hunt her down like we all thought would happen after Fusion.

The constant referring to Sylux as a “he” is a nod to the original Metroid.

Sylux in Prime 4 will be allied with the Metroid from the ending of Federation Force. Who, like the Baby/Infant Metroid in Metroid 2, sees Sylux as a mother.

That ‘Samus from the future’ thing probably isn’t true, but I hope Sylux uses that Metroid like a partner in crime rather than just another source to clone them.
It's an interesting thought, but I'm wary about yet another Samus "variant" as a main villain after the SA-X and (especially) Dark Samus. I feel like a lot of the ideas fans frequently float (Sylux is Samus's sibling / her from the future) are a bit too fanfic / on the nose to actually manifest, but who knows. At least if one of these theories did come true, Retro would almost assuredly execute it well.

The idea of Sylux allying with the Metroid from Federation Force is neat, and something I haven't seen suggested. I always assumed that particular Metroid was more symbolic of Sylux's wider plans for the species, but if it's instead a deliberate parallel to Samus and the baby, that'd make sense. I just wouldn't expect it to remain in its larval form. I think we can safely assume we'll be seeing brand new evolutionary offshoots distinct from Aeion or Phazon Metroids, and I'm excited for that prospect.

Whatever happens, Sylux's actions will surely serve as the final nail in the coffin for Metroids as a species, inevitably leading to Samus's mission to eradicate them on SR388. After Mother Brain's efforts to weaponize them, in addition to the events of the Prime Trilogy, and finally whatever crisis Sylux is sure to bring about, we'll get the complete picture of why the Federation decided Metroids are too dangerous to exist.

i know you meant this as a joke, but metroid is in huge need of more male characters, so dont say that, not even as a joke lol.
Wait, why is Metroid in huge need of specifically male characters? So many of the characters important or relating to Samus (whether in the lore, or the games themselves) are male, right? Rodney, Adam, Anthony, Admiral Dane, Old Bird, Gray Voice, Raven Beak, U-Mos... then there's the male boss characters like Kraid and Ridley, and allies from Corruption like Rundas and Ghor. I think most (all?) of the characters from Hunters are also male. Virginia, Mother Brain, Metroid Prime / Dark Samus and Gandrayda are the main notable female characters that instantly come to mind for me. We've yet to get even a female Chozo, which I'd love to see featured in one of the games someday. I'm hoping that's who the mysterious figure with the Arm Cannon from Dread's gallery is.
I'd love it 😎 Bring on a third-person 3D Metroid made by a developer as competent as Retro!

unironically i hope mp4 doesnt shows up at the next direct, if only because i want the announcement video to reach 4 million views before the first real trailer.

Im gonna be bold and say no. My guess is Prime 4 is a 2024 game and they are gonna focus mostly on marketing their H2 slate. But it will be the perfect choice for their fall Direct.

Wishful thinking pipe dream is that Metroid Prime 4 will share a release date with the next 2d entry like Prime and Fusion did.

This franchise in good shape for the next few years. MP4 should release no later than 2024, and I imagine Sakamoto has a new 2D Metroid in the works. The latter could probably release in 2025-2026 on the next system.

Whatever is happening with the 2D series, Prime 4 is 100% the next thing for Metroid right now. I'm sure Nintendo wants to get that eternal "TBA" off their reports.

Wishful thinking pipe dream is that Metroid Prime 4 will share a release date with the next 2d entry like Prime and Fusion did.
That could never happen today. That happened in 2002 because the platforms were different. Nintendo would never want their 6 year production game to have to share attention with any other game, and mp4 would completely crush the sales prospects of the 2d game.

Several of you are already familiar with "trust the process". Today, a new challenger emerges:

UdrdayG.jpeg

Bf7LdlA.jpeg

only in the leo world a 2d game outsells a 3d one. no offense tho.
Pretty normal for Nintendo. NSMB2 and Wii outsold 3D Land and the Galaxies.

I can see not being confident in Prime 4 as a new peak for series sales when Dread had so much going for it and still didn't greatly outperform past Metroids. Prime 4 has some internet weirdos who are obsessed with Prime specifically as its only guaranteed advantage. Let's not pretend that it was ever a popular or successful game format like 3D Zelda or something, otherwise there would have been something else remotely like it.

Not too sure about that, honestly. I don't think it's a sure thing MP4 will sell more than Dread, let alone completely crush it.
This is true. We were all confident Metroid Prime Remastered was killing it in sales, when it turned out to only have sold 1 million units in a month and a half. That isn't bad by any means, but I remember many people here, myself included, thinking it was hands-down going to be the best-selling Metroid game pretty much instantly. It's a different situation with Metroid Prime 4, since it's a brand new game and not a remake, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Regardless of the expected sales numbers of Prime 4, I don't see Nintendo releasing it at the same time as a new 2D Metroid game or really any other first party game.

Pretty normal for Nintendo. NSMB2 and Wii outsold 3D Land and the Galaxies.

I can see not being confident in Prime 4 as a new peak for series sales when Dread had so much going for it and still didn't greatly outperform past Metroids. Prime 4 has some internet weirdos who are obsessed with Prime specifically as its only guaranteed advantage. Let's not pretend that it was ever a popular or successful game format like 3D Zelda or something, otherwise there would have been something else remotely like it.
No please, give me an example of all those series you speak of where a 2d game outsold its 3d counterpart. One that wasnt Mario. In the wii era.

And the bit about Dread always felt like a bizarre revisionism and moving the goal that i saw in online forums. Before its release it was "it will barely sell 1 million". Now it is "why it didn't sell 10 million?". I find it so funny that people got glued to the idea that a 2d metroid game selling the same as the best fire emblem game is somehow bad lol.

i know you meant this as a joke, but metroid is in huge need of more male characters, so dont say that, not even as a joke lol.
Why so? We have ridley, Adam, Raven beak/quiet robe (and old bird/Grey voice in the manga), sylux (previously gender neutral but referred to with male pronouns in the last handful of years), u-mos, and the most popular bounty hunter rundas. Unless you mean more human characters then no thank you, I prefer the metroid games to focus on non-galactic federation stuff.

This is true. We were all confident Metroid Prime Remastered was killing it in sales, when it turned out to only have sold 1 million units in a month and a half. That isn't bad by any means, but I remember many people here, myself included, thinking it was hands-down going to be the best-selling Metroid game pretty much instantly. It's a different situation with Metroid Prime 4, since it's a brand new game and not a remake, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Prime R spent so much time at #1 on eshop, we didn't consider that switch software could be down for all non-large titles.

Metroid game sales are so interesting.

Historically, the series sells fine. It has several games that are million-sellers which is more than a lot of major franchises can say.

However, the fans and the industry as a whole seem to think that the series sells abysmally which is just not true. I was wondering why this is, and I think it's a combination of the slow output of entries in the series as well as the fans thinking the series deserves to sell as well as Mario and Zelda but doesn't. I firmly believe that Metroid should be up there with Nintendo's best-selling series based on quality alone, but it doesn't reach those heights so as a result the sales seem disappointing by comparison. But the series doesn't sell like dirt and it's at no risk of ever being iced due to sales.

I once saw a rather prominent gaming YouTuber (won't name names because I don't want to call anyone out) claim that the reason there aren't many Metroid games is because Nintendo is disappointed with the series' sales which is just blatantly false. I was actually kind of peeved to see such misinformation being spread as if it were fact.

Why so? We have ridley, Adam, Raven beak/quiet robe (and old bird/Grey voice in the manga), sylux (previously gender neutral but referred to with male pronouns in the last handful of years), u-mos, and the most popular bounty hunter rundas. Unless you mean more human characters then no thank you, I prefer the metroid games to focus on non-galactic federation stuff.

Prime R spent so much time at #1 on eshop, we didn't consider that switch software could be down for all non-large titles.
that's true, i guess i wanted to say "i kinda want a male villain for prime now, since we had dark samus" i mean dark samus isnt reeally male or female i suppose.

No please, give me an example of all those series you speak of where a 2d game outsold its 3d counterpart. One that wasnt Mario. In the wii era.

And the bit about Dread always felt like a bizarre revisionism and moving the goal that i saw in online forums. Before its release it was "it will barely sell 1 million". Now it is "why it didn't sell 10 million?". I find it so funny that people got glued to the idea that a 2d metroid game selling the same as the best fire emblem game is somehow bad lol.
There aren't a lot of totally fair comparisons, since most systems don't get both, but Phantom Hourglass outsold Wind Waker and ALBW outsold Skyward Sword I guess? Zelda is historically the one where there's a 2D branch and it's most obviously second class, but even that's not guaranteed.

I think the original SNES F-Zero is still the best selling game in that series, if that counts lol. DK64 definitely isn't the best selling DK game. Pretty sure Wario World didn't outsell Wario Land 4. NSMBU Deluxe has far outsold 3D World + Bowser's Fury despite the latter port technically including a whole new game.

There aren't a huge number of Nintendo series that have both 2D and 3D games to begin with, but Zelda's the only one where the 3D games actually dominate the list of best selling entries. Odyssey is very notably the only 3D Mario that has ever sold on-par with the most popular 2D games. Hell, even for Metroid, the Prime sequels don't make the top 5.

I basically said similar in post #662, but Quiet Robe completely slipped my mind, lol. Good mention.
that's true, i guess i wanted to say "i kinda want a male villain for prime now, since we had dark samus" i mean dark samus isnt reeally male or female i suppose.
Scans refer to Dark Samus by feminine pronouns:

Metroid Prime is also a Metroid "Queen" of sorts, being that she's capable of spawning them.

There aren't a lot of totally fair comparisons, since most systems don't get both, but Phantom Hourglass outsold Wind Waker and ALBW outsold Skyward Sword I guess? Zelda is historically the one where there's a 2D branch and it's most obviously second class, but even that's not guaranteed.

I think the original SNES F-Zero is still the best selling game in that series, if that counts lol. DK64 definitely isn't the best selling DK game. Pretty sure Wario World didn't outsell Wario Land 4. NSMBU Deluxe has far outsold 3D World + Bowser's Fury despite the latter port technically including a whole new game.

There aren't a huge number of Nintendo series that have both 2D and 3D games to begin with, but Zelda's the only one where the 3D games actually dominate the list of best selling entries. Odyssey is very notably the only 3D Mario that has ever sold on-par with the most popular 2D games. Hell, even for Metroid, the Prime sequels don't make the top 5.
I like with every example you listed there is a catch that explains why it happened.

Wind Waker released on the second worst selling home console that nintendo has produced, of course PH wouldn't have trouble outselling it.

ALBW released early on the 3DS's life on a premium spot of the year (november) while SS released on the Wii: a console that historically didn't buy hardcore games, was dead by 2010, and was considered a lukewarm title.

No the SNES Fzero game is not 2d you cant use that lol.

The same thing could be said about the N64: It sold much less than the SNES (although not as much as GC>DS lol) and by 1999 the N64 wasnt feeling too well anymore. It could have sold better but it by no means sold badly, almost 6 million is a fantastic number.

Wario World's failure can be attributed to Wario not selling very well to begin with, releasing on the GC (as mentioned several times above lol).

Why are you comparing NSMBU to 3D World... a Wii U game? Why not compare it to the actual 3D game of the Switch, Odyssey, which completely smashed NSMBU in sales?

Even with your Metroid mention it can be explained: Sequels on the same console almost never sell as well as the first game, and by 2004 the GC was dead already. And for MP3, like i said earlier, the people who bought the wii werent exactly the ones that enjoyed more hardcore games, practically the only ones who sold well were Twilight Princess and Smash Brawl.

Why are you comparing NSMBU to 3D World... a Wii U game? Why not compare it to the actual 3D game of the Switch, Odyssey, which completely smashed NSMBU in sales?
Because they're both Wii U games ported to the Switch? It's one of the most even comparisons I came across since they're on pretty equal footing.

And you can "explain away" any example with reasons for it happening lol, I could just as easily turn this around on you and say "Forgotten Land outsold Star Allies because it was the best game in the series and Star Allies was a massive downgrade from the 3DS entries" or "Odyssey outsold NSMBU DX because it was a new game against a port". Doesn't mean it didn't happen, or that I'm even right as to why, since there's always counterexamples. It's common knowledge that ports don't outsell new releases, meanwhile Mario Kart 8 is sitting there as the best selling Switch game by miles. So why didn't Prime Remastered outsell Dread then? Because "ports don't sell as much as new games", except for when they do apparently.

If prime 4 launches as a late switch title it will almost certainly sell less than dread. If it's a cross gen title it will almost certainly sell more.

Because they're both Wii U games ported to the Switch? It's one of the most even comparisons I came across since they're on pretty equal footing.

And you can "explain away" any example with reasons for it happening lol, I could just as easily turn this around on you and say "Forgotten Land outsold Star Allies because it was the best game in the series and Star Allies was a massive downgrade from the 3DS entries" or "Odyssey outsold NSMBU DX because it was a new game against a port". Doesn't mean it didn't happen, or that I'm even right as to why, since there's always counterexamples. It's common knowledge that ports don't outsell new releases, meanwhile Mario Kart 8 is sitting there as the best selling Switch game by miles. So why didn't Prime Remastered outsell Dread then? Because "ports don't sell as much as new games", except for when they do apparently.
That is true, i didnt think of it like that. Still, 3d world was never a mario game with mainstream appeal despite me liking it so much, its not really a surprise that nsmb outsold it.

And no, i dont think you could do that, the reasons i gave are way more valid than "game good game bad".

Mario kart 8 is the best selling switch game because there isnt a new mario kart, it is that simple, yes.

Why mpr didnt surpass dread? I mean, its a remaster as well, but why it didnt get close to it at least? No marketing. Thats the big reason.

MP4 is the big awaited main course, all games since 2017 have had some relation to it (SR was announced only after MP4 shook the internet, Nintendo apologized for MP4's absence and almost gave away Dread as an apology for it not being there and MPR... well. Its a prime game, its only there to hype mp4 up)

Only in online internet forums youd find people trying to say that the opening dishes may outshine the main dish.

Last edited:
Optimistic part of me thinks it can reach 5. Might be wishful thinking though.
I think 5m is possible if it has a ton of hype and delivers. Basically a range of 3-5m is my prediction. It will also depend on if they market it as the fourth game in the series or as a new experience that first timers can jump into.

As it stands we don’t even have a trailer so hard to make super precise guesses.

What naming convention do y'all reckon we'll get?
Metroid Prime 4 Subtitle
Meroid Prime Subtitle
Metroid Subtitle

Part of me hopes that it's the third, given the supposed lack of Metroid Prime, but it's also the least likely imo

Metroid Prime 4 Subtitle
Meroid Prime Subtitle
Metroid Subtitle

Part of me hopes that it's the third, given the supposed lack of Metroid Prime, but it's also the least likely imo
2, I could definitely see them ditching the 4 to make it more appealing for newcomers.

Metroid Prime 4 Subtitle
Meroid Prime Subtitle
Metroid Subtitle

Metroid Prime 4: Subtitle just like 2 and 3. They're not going to abandon the brand just cause Dark Samus/Metroid Prime are dead. Sylux gunna make a new Metroid Prime with the Metroid he stole.

Oh. Well maybe no 4 in the title. It's just gonna be called "New Metroid Prime" :p

Metroid Prime 4: Subtitle just like 2 and 3. They're not going to abandon the brand just cause Dark Samus/Metroid Prime are dead. Sylux gunna make a new Metroid Prime with the Metroid he stole.
We stuck in this loop where all games are just a retelling of the same old games while all other nintendo ips grow and get better. Quite the prospect.

@Mr Doggo If you want to spend your day debating Metroid stuff, that's your prerogative. But please don't be antagonistic towards people who have different thoughts than you.

Back
Top Bottom