• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Metroid |ST| Trust The Process

Are we finally seeing Metroid Prime 4's re-reveal in the next Nintendo Direct?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, I wouldn't mind Nintendo selling Metroid Prime 4 to take some of the edge off.
Sounds you need to replay Dread.

In fact, everyone should replay Dread. Ask yourself, when was the last time you played it? Exactly. Go play Dread.

samus-metroid.gif

I wish we had a Metroid roguelike, Soulslike, platformer, shooter, etc. Samus is cool and versatile enough to suit any genre!

I want an RTS where you can command armies of Metroids around to antagonize the Feds and the Space Pirates and such. Perhaps playing as a Thoha Chozo :)

I want an RTS where you can command armies of Metroids around to antagonize the Feds and the Space Pirates and such. Perhaps playing as a Thoha Chozo :)
The Chozo lore potential is immense, yet Nintendo seldom does anything with it. They won't even localize the manga, even though they'll do so for Zelda. 🥲 I'd absolutely want to play as a Chozo, but in a prequel set centuries prior to Samus's time, during their Golden Age. The genre matters less to me as long as there's lore, and plenty of it!

Reminder if anyone cares, but the Samus Christmas ornament goes on sale in a week. I'm def buying this.

Nintendo-Metroid-Samus-Keepsake-Ornament_1999QXI6349_04.jpg

I wish we had a Metroid roguelike, Soulslike, platformer, shooter, etc. Samus is cool and versatile enough to suit any genre!
I still say, Dark Souls -- the original especially -- isn't exactly lacking in Metroid-like DNA. There would be major changes needed to different systems, but something similar isn't really a stretch. Fix it up with some ability gating, change the combat to fit more with how Samus would work, and someone who knows what they're doing could pull it off. Already the atmosphere is on point and even lore management holds similarities.

How would you make a Metroid movie?
I really, really want a Metroid screen adaptation, but I don't exactly trust them not to pack it to the gills with absolute bull. Just do an anime that adapts and expands upon the manga, and have Jennifer Hale voice Samus, please.

I dont think a film would be a good idea.

Instead, id prefer a series.
i think a series would bomb harder than a movie, it would be a lot harder to get people not familiar with Metroid to watch an 8-hour show than a 2-hour movie, especially since no story in a Metroid game is long enough to justify a series

i think a series would bomb harder than a movie, it would be a lot harder to get people not familiar with Metroid to watch an 8-hour show than a 2-hour movie, especially since no story in a Metroid game is long enough to justify a series
I heavily disagree.

In today's market its already hard for big blockbuster films from loved and well known IPS such as Indiana Jones to do well, imagine an ip that is unknown to the general public like Metroid? In the last few months we have seen so many failures, the new pixar film, the new dreamworks film, indiana jones, the flash, nothing is guaranteed to be a success.

But with a series? You re a random joe looking for something to watch on Streaming and you have a knack for sci-fi and you just see that theres a new series called "metroid" and you decide to watch it because you have nothing better to do, and you like it!

Furthermore, you dont adapt the stories of games, period. Mario didn't do it, Zelda certainly wont do it, it doesnt works. Even TLOU had to be adapted and that's ultra cinematic lol.

It would have to be an original story.

Reminder if anyone cares, but the Samus Christmas ornament goes on sale in a week. I'm def buying this.

I've got a calendar reminder set. Last time I was this ready to buy a Hallmark ornament was... Godzilla 2014 I think?

Now that is what we call an insta-buy. Just set an alarm for the 15th lol

I still need my MGS clone starring ZSS where she has to infiltrate a hostile planet/space station and it’s a stealth game but has an MGS-style group of eccentric bosses.

Honestly a ZSS game could lean into stealth or into survival horror

I still need my MGS clone starring ZSS where she has to infiltrate a hostile planet/space station and it’s a stealth game but has an MGS-style group of eccentric bosses.

Honestly a ZSS game could lean into stealth or into survival horror
I have only one problem with this.

...Zero Suit Samus! 🥲 idk, I've just never liked the design of the blue skintight suit. It's kinda controversial in the fandom, as I'm sure most of us are aware. I definitely think it's due for a major redesign. Dread had the opportunity to do this, but didn't. Ah well.

...Zero Suit Samus! 🥲 idk, I've just never liked the design of the blue skintight suit. It's kinda controversial in the fandom, as I'm sure most of us are aware. I definitely think it's due for a major redesign. Dread had the opportunity to do this, but didn't. Ah well.
its def due to a major redesign.

It screams that it was made for thirsty players, hell the japanese ad for zero mission throws that into your face multiple times.

Hell, even that doesnt excuses how bad it looks, they could have made something akin to sigourney weaver's outfits in alien and it would have looked 10x better. (which they do in Super lmao). I could go on a big tangent about how certain anime influences made metroid worse, but that isnt the time.

Im not surprised Dread didn't redesign it because 2d metroid historically is much more prone to not change things, but MP4 should do it.

I kinda dont want to see some twitter (if it somehow survives up to 2024 lol) controversy about nintendo and retro studios being sexist due to this shit.

Oh yeah, I’m down for a redesign of the suit for sure. In fact I’d hope it’d get one

Just conceptually, the Metroid universe has an easy justification for leaning fully into a stealth game or survival horror game by playing as a suitless Samus.

its def due to a major redesign.

It screams that it was made for thirsty players, hell the japanese ad for zero mission throws that into your face multiple times.

Hell, even that doesnt excuses how bad it looks, they could have made something akin to sigourney weaver's outfits in alien and it would have looked 10x better. (which they do in Super lmao). I could go on a big tangent about how certain anime influences made metroid worse, but that isnt the time.

Im not surprised Dread didn't redesign it because 2d metroid historically is much more prone to not change things, but MP4 should do it.

I kinda dont want to see some twitter (if it somehow survives up to 2024 lol) controversy about nintendo and retro studios being sexist due to this shit.
Oh yeah, I’m down for a redesign of the suit for sure. In fact I’d hope it’d get one

Just conceptually, the Metroid universe has an easy justification for leaning fully into a stealth game or survival horror game by playing as a suitless Samus.
I've always been partial to this artist's redesign. It's still clearly, obviously the Zero Suit, but now featuring some interesting mechanical embellishments, better contrasting colors, and more of a neat sci-fi look in general. I feel like the Zero Suit would look ridiculous with the more realistic face they gave Samus at the end of Prime Remastered, lol. It only really works with her more anime-adjacent look from Zero Mission and such.

I feel like the Zero Suit would look ridiculous with the more realistic face they gave Samus at the end of Prime Remastered, lol. It only really works with her more anime-adjacent look from Zero Mission.
And you are right lol, good point too. Retro has been hiring artists who have worked on very specific kinds of games, western cinematic ones, so i think... yeah they will do a more realistic artstyle.

It actually shocked me that they went back to her original face, i was expecting something more similar to dread.

It actually shocked me that they went back to her original face, i was expecting something more similar to dread.
Same. But I honestly couldn't be happier. I love the way she looks in Prime Remastered. And her expression at the end just makes her seem so introspective--which is how I've always imagined Samus to be. ("Ah, no mere brute mercenary, but a thinker - perhaps even a scholar?" as Farengar from Skyrim would say, lol.) That image perfectly captures what I personally love so much about Samus as a character. She's not just a stoic machine. She actually has a massive heart and a sharp mind. Combine those with so much time alone and you get someone who thinks deeply.

I've always been partial to this artist's redesign. It's still clearly, obviously the Zero Suit, but now featuring some interesting mechanical embellishments, better contrasting colors, and more of a neat sci-fi look in general. I feel like the Zero Suit would look ridiculous with the more realistic face they gave Samus at the end of Prime Remastered, lol. It only really works with her more anime-adjacent look from Zero Mission and such.

Okay that looks awesome, holy cow.

So it'll be in development hell for decades and probably never see the light of the day? Bold choice!
......what?

If you're referring to what happened with The Hobbit, that was due to studios in-fighting over rights and financials, nothing to do with DelToro. I watched the dude stand up on stage and accept an Oscar this year, he ain't exactly having a tough time putting out films. 😅

Okay that looks awesome, holy cow.

......what?

If you're referring to what happened with The Hobbit, that was due to studios in-fighting over rights and financials, nothing to do with DelToro. I watched the dude stand up on stage and accept an Oscar this year, he ain't exactly having a tough time putting out films. 😅
Most likely about Pinocchio.
Same. But I honestly couldn't be happier. I love the way she looks in Prime Remastered. And her expression at the end just makes her seem so introspective--which is how I've always imagined Samus to be. ("Ah, no mere brute mercenary, but a thinker - perhaps even a scholar?" as Farengar from Skyrim would say, lol.) That image perfectly captures what I personally love so much about Samus as a character. She's not just a stoic machine. She actually has a massive heart and a sharp mind. Combine those with so much time alone and you get someone who thinks deeply.
And yeah, i very much agree! Its funny how that one expression makes me believe more on the "introspective, quiet but loving human" thing that sakamoto says she is but basically never managed to express well.

Del Toro is kinda notorious for having a lot of "pet projects" that never quite make the jump to becoming actual movies (still waiting for his Mountains of Madness), although that is mostly the Studio's fault I admit, but also on him for not wanting to compromise on his vision (not that that's a bad thing). Though maybe now that Pinocchio was a big success, that'll improve 👀

And you are right lol, good point too. Retro has been hiring artists who have worked on very specific kinds of games, western cinematic ones, so i think... yeah they will do a more realistic artstyle.

They hired artists from Naughty Dog and Vigil games to work on Tropical Freeze, let's not be fooled by this again. They've also hired artists from Bioware, Arkane and Sony Santa Monica for example. Those studios lean much more towards stylized games.

The characterization of Samus is another thing I'm very curious how they'll handle for Prime 4. This is very similar to how I imagine her as well.

They hired artists from Naughty Dog and Vigil games to work on Tropical Freeze, let's not be fooled by this again. They've also hired artists from Bioware, Arkane and Sony Santa Monica for example. Those studios lean much more towards stylized games.
Bioware, Arkane and Sony Santa Monica's games have much more realistic artstyles than the trilogy.

But in this case, i do feel it is very much different. In the early 2010 Retro was only complementing their already existing board of employees, here Retro is creating new positions, divisions to take on an AAA game.
And for the matter, the game's art director doesnt comes from Tropical Freeze. He comes from DICE's Battlefield 1. Retro absolutely is looking for people who have worked on certain studios.

Mind you, im not saying the game will go ultra realistic, but it will be closer to that than let's say... the trilogy. I dont think they would have gone with the Prime 1 Samus if that wasnt going to be the case.

And yeah, i very much agree! Its funny how that one expression makes me believe more on the "introspective, quiet but loving human" thing that sakamoto says she is but basically never managed to express well.
I think Fusion handled it really well with the inner monologues. I don't necessarily need that in every Metroid game, but it definitely makes me appreciate Fusion a ton (it's one of my favorites, actually). That game did major work for Samus as a character.

But yes, the ideal form is to show that characterization through actions and expressions like the Prime series. (And let's not forget how great a job MS did with her in Dread!)

Bioware, Arkane and Sony Santa Monica's games have much more realistic artstyles than the trilogy.

But in this case, i do feel it is very much different. In the early 2010 Retro was only complementing their already existing board of employees, here Retro is creating new positions, divisions to take on an AAA game.
And for the matter, the game's art director doesnt comes from Tropical Freeze. He comes from DICE's Battlefield 1. Retro absolutely is looking for people who have worked on certain studios.

Mind you, im not saying the game will go ultra realistic, but it will be closer to that than let's say... the trilogy. I dont think they would have gone with the Prime 1 Samus if that wasnt going to be the case.

He also worked on Mirror's Edge: Catylist which was a hella stylized game, so its not like they cant go that route if they want. Retro still also has plenty of artists that worked on the original games as well, even MP1. I don't think they're drastically going to change the artsyle from what it was, but of course it will have its own look and visual identity, as all their games do.

I could be wrong though, we'll see!

I'd argue that Arkane's and Bioware's stuff isn't too far from Prime's style tbh. Like, obviously Prime is a bit more stylised but that might also be due to different hardware to work with?

Especially Dishonored but also Dragon Age (or Mass Effect to some extent) go for something along the lines of "make it look realistic but in a cool way", same goes for Prime (mostly 1 but also later entries), yeah we have multi coloured beam weapons, colourful space goo but none of it stands out to me as particularly unrealistic? I'm not sure if I'm making sense :LOL:

Yeah, I like how she looks too, but I wonder why they didn't update her design by adding the beauty mark to make the franchise feel more "cohesive". It will be a bit weird to see Samus look different depending on whether it's a 2D or a Prime game from now on, unless she doesn't have this face in Prime 4 and it was just for Prime Remastered.

1686244554001.png

Yeah, I like how she looks too, but I wonder why they didn't update her design by adding the beauty mark to make the franchise feel more "cohesive". It will be a bit weird to see Samus look different depending on whether it's a 2D or a Prime game from now on, unless she doesn't have this face in Prime 4 and it was just for Prime Remastered.

1686244554001.png
ill agree that i would have liked if they added the beauty mark, but its such a non important thing that i dont mind.

No, i dont think they will "animefy" mp4 samus, i believe thats how she is gonna look and i couldnt possibly be happier. Other m samus is a depressing thing.

As for her looking different between the two... samus looks different each game lol. She had a different design in every single metroid game, despite they being faiiirly similar after OM.

I guess nintendo understands that western people have different sensibilities and lets retro do their stuff.

I'd argue that Arkane's and Bioware's stuff isn't too far from Prime's style tbh. Like, obviously Prime is a bit more stylised but that might also be due to different hardware to work with?

Especially Dishonored but also Dragon Age (or Mass Effect to some extent) go for something along the lines of "make it look realistic but in a cool way", same goes for Prime (mostly 1 but also later entries), yeah we have multi coloured beam weapons, colourful space goo but none of it stands out to me as particularly unrealistic? I'm not sure if I'm making sense :LOL:
Yes but i didn't say "MP4 going photorealistic" like TheSpaceBetween implied, i said that we going "MORE realistic". I imagine that at the level of a mass effect game, yes.

Last edited:
Slow Sunday, so just curious about people's opinions here - do you think Metroid Prime 4 will be numbered as it currently is, or will it simply have a subtitle/succeeding word (Metroid Prime: <Something>) instead?

Arguments in favor of both:

Subtitle:
  • Newer players are less intimidated to start at this entry, not thinking that there are 3 other titles they need to catch up on first
  • Can break a bit more from conventions of the current Metroid Prime series. Numbering just subconsciously ties it more so to what came before.

Number:
  • Series convention
  • May be easier to signal 'mainline' entry.

I personally think it makes more sense to just go with a subtitle and essentially 'reboot' Metroid Prime in that way. But interested to hear what you guys think.

Just realized luigi's mansion 2 getting a HD remaster opens the gate for a samus returns remaster on Switch
I still think a 1-4 collection, with originals and remakes included where applicable, is the way to go. "You can own the entire mainline Metroid series on Switch." (Titles after Dread are a new phase)

New Metroid game where you play as some Federation mook. There are some lesser elements of what Samus would play like, though obviously nowhere near. This is a horror game.

The Federation mook dies at the end of the tutorial, and the real Metroid game begins.

Slow Sunday, so just curious about people's opinions here - do you think Metroid Prime 4 will be numbered as it currently is, or will it simply have a subtitle/succeeding word (Metroid Prime: <Something>) instead?
Third option: new subseries title. The new game is a clear entry point. Now it can be said -- after Echoes and Corruption remakesters -- that you can own the entire Prime trilogy on Switch. If the new game gets followups, you can own that entire subseries on the successor.

But that seems somewhat unlikely, so I'm going to say just a subtitle. It's probably going to break from the old games in various ways.

Metroid Prime 4: Subtitle just like 2 and 3. They're not going to abandon the brand just cause Dark Samus/Metroid Prime are dead. Sylux gunna make a new Metroid Prime with the Metroid he stole.

Oh. Well maybe no 4 in the title. It's just gonna be called "New Metroid Prime"
Samus is become the Metroid Prime, destroyer of worlds.

Back
Top Bottom