• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Metroid |ST| Trust The Process

Are we finally seeing Metroid Prime 4's re-reveal in the next Nintendo Direct?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’ve been thinking and I kind of want Nintendo to show Samus’ face more in marketing.

And I don’t mean ZSS. I mean a middle ground between a faceless hero that she is in most games and her traipsing around in the zero suit with ass shots during cutscenes in Other M.

Like the fact that we don’t really have a key art of Samus in her suit but with her helmet off looking strong and imposing is kind of crazy to me.

I think only seeing the hero behind the suit in the ending was a super cool reward in past games, but in this day and age I want Nintendo to really embrace one of the best female protagonists in gaming. I honestly think it would help the series.

Basically I want them to
1) make seeing Samus’ face feel “normal” and not like a secret reward
2) have seeing her face not always come with having to see the over sexualized zero suit. More shots with the helmet off but in the suit, like when she had to spontaneously take it off in order to throw up the Phazon in prime 3
👏👏👏

Cleared Echoes on Gamecube hard mode last night with 100% items and scans. This was actually the first time I was able to get 100% scans in this game (I don't look stuff up for my favorite games, I feel it trivializes the experience). The game can be very tense, unwelcoming, confusing, and difficult at times, but there are a TON of little tricks you can take advantage of to make things much easier, and I even learned a couple new ones this time around just by experimenting a bit. The keyhunt at the end is by far the most tedious in all the trilogy, but at least you get the cool Light Suit to look at while you do so. I may be in the minority here, but I actually think the Agon Wastes is a great area. And of course Torvus and Sanctuary are Godlike.

Gonna pop in Corruption in a bit, can't wait!

I just started a first time Echoes playthrough on PrimeHack tonight. Wish me luck! I've played the first hour or two before, maybe more (spend a bit of time in the dark world), but that was 8 years ago at this point on the Wii U vc.

Loving it so far.

Speaking of Metroid lore, was anyone else taken aback when playing/replaying Metroid Prime recently and reading the data entry on the Glider enemy. Apparently somewhere in the Metroidverse an entire sport exists with people riding these things with Grapple Beams which thus means Grapple Beams are some readily available technology. It’s like the one piece of lore that I can think of in the Prime series that isn’t about the planets you are on or recurring factions like the Galactic Federation, the Chozo, Space Pirates, etc.

Speaking of Metroid lore, was anyone else taken aback when playing/replaying Metroid Prime recently and reading the data entry on the Glider enemy. Apparently somewhere in the Metroidverse an entire sport exists with people riding these things with Grapple Beams which thus means Grapple Beams are some readily available technology. It’s like the one piece of lore that I can think of in the Prime series that isn’t about the planets you are on or recurring factions like the Galactic Federation, the Chozo, Space Pirates, etc.

I absolutely love this bit of lore, lol. Hilariously pointless, but also highly amusing. I think whoever added it in must've been having fun.

I particularly enjoy this paragraph, on that page:
Curiously, when Samus grapples onto it, the creature remains immobile until she detaches herself from it, making Glider riding seem like a relatively easy sport.
We need to see Glider riding in Prime 4. I'm sure of it. These folks too, whoever the heck they are:

I absolutely love this bit of lore, lol. Hilariously pointless, but also highly amusing. I think whoever added it in must've been having fun.

I particularly enjoy this paragraph, on that page:

We need to see Glider riding in Prime 4. I'm sure of it. These folks too, whoever the heck they are:

I’m down to see and hear more of these monks too lol. We need more of these weird universe expanding tidbits lol.

I’m down to see and hear more of these monks too lol. We need more of these weird universe expanding tidbits lol.
Plot twist: these monks were the ones doing the vocals on the Metroid Prime 1-3 OST this entire time!

Last edited:
As I wait for my March 6th copy (grr..) I envision some hybrid control scheme of using the Pro Controller in the left hand and a joy-con in the right as a pointer, like a deformed conjoined nunchuk and a tiny Wii-remote.

This is probably possible but it would have to involve the Switch OS recognizing the Pro Controller as 'half' of a controller... though I do have giant joy-con anyway to try this with. Hmm...

How very interesting

I'd almost forgotten about the cookie. Thanks for reactivating that memory. When I first discovered its existence on that very Wiki page I could not stop thinking about it. I want to reverse engineer it.

I'd almost forgotten about the cookie. Thanks for reactivating that memory. When I first discovered its existence on that very Wiki page I could not stop thinking about it. I want to reverse engineer it.
I just love looking through the various bits of Metroid merch the Wiki has listed. There's some fascinating stuff on there!

It's not the coolest item, but I think this Burger King toy must be the only fast food restaurant toy ever released for Metroid. I finally spotted a sealed one listed on Mercari the other day, so I did as a responsible fan should, and snatched it up. I really appreciate the fact that Metroid is so easy to collect for, thanks to the modest popularity of the series (compared to titans like Mario or Pokémon), and consequently, the fact that merch for it is such a rarity. It's also why so many in the fandom are going slightly berserk trying to get that recent Walmart exclusive Samus figure. 🤣

I live for this kind of stuff. I love learning about bizarre promotions and obscure merch.

I want that new figure very badly but I hate going to Walmart so I'll probably have to check eBay for it.

I'll probably end up doing the same, tbh. I'll have to end up paying more than double what the figure retails for ($10 I think? Right @Red Monster?), but I guess $25 or so isn't bad, if it means I don't have to check Walmarts.
Walmart is just a special kind of sensory overload for me and so I can't stand it. And the last time I ever found what I wanted at a Walmart was in 2019 and all subsequent visits I've left empty-handed, which doesn't motivate me to go back again anytime soon.

$25 is... acceptable. Anything more than that I don't think I'd go for.

Striking work by Wata_Ridley. Fusion-centric art is my favorite.

I’ve been thinking and I kind of want Nintendo to show Samus’ face more in marketing.

And I don’t mean ZSS. I mean a middle ground between a faceless hero that she is in most games and her traipsing around in the zero suit with ass shots during cutscenes in Other M.

Like the fact that we don’t really have a key art of Samus in her suit but with her helmet off looking strong and imposing is kind of crazy to me.

I think only seeing the hero behind the suit in the ending was a super cool reward in past games, but in this day and age I want Nintendo to really embrace one of the best female protagonists in gaming. I honestly think it would help the series.

Basically I want them to
1) make seeing Samus’ face feel “normal” and not like a secret reward. Other M DID accomplish this, but…
2) have seeing her face not always come with having to see the over sexualized zero suit. More shots with the helmet off but in the suit, like when she had to spontaneously take it off in order to throw up the Phazon in prime 3

I noticed that a lot of fanart likes to portray Samus with her helmet off, at least going off Reddit.

I think it's a good halfway house. People care about the human in the suit, normalising her face at the very least would be nice.

I'll probably end up doing the same, tbh. I'll have to end up paying more than double what the figure retails for ($10 I think? Right @Red Monster?), but I guess $25 or so isn't bad, if it means I don't have to check Walmarts.
yeah it was ten bucks I think

i would have gone to ebay eventually as well, but i’m in my local walmart at least once a week anyway for baby supplies, heh.

I disagree with this so much, I don't need Samus to become MCU Iron Man with her ripping her helmet off constantly in ridiculous situations just so we can see her face. She's a lot cooler when she's keep discrete and subtle in my mind, and the last time we got this, we got Other M.
Phendrift specifically outlined a middle ground between faceless hero, and the absurdity of Other M, though. I wouldn't personally go as far as to call Samus a "faceless" hero (I feel as though there's a healthy degree of subtle characterization and restraint in most of her depictions, especially within the Prime games, though I understand it was meant more literally in this context), but the distinction was made, nonetheless. I agree with the general sentiment of it not being the worst thing for Samus's face to potentially be shown a couple times, mid-game (as Corruption did), versus just as an ending reward.

I'm among those first in line to give Other M its due criticism, but I do think we (as in, Metroid fans in general) should aim to avoid presenting it as the go-to example of what to dread, and what simply doesn't work in Metroid, in cases where it isn't entirely fitting to. I've seen folks invoke the disaster of Other M in order to say overt storytelling in Metroid is bad thing, and the same with characters, Samus talking, the series being in a third-person 3D style, and so on. There's a contingent of fans that seem to believe that just because all of those things were most prominently featured in one game, and that the game was reviled, it means those working on the series best not try those things ever again. Thing is, Other M wasn't rough because it had characters, a third-person 3D camera, or Samus having her face prominently shown. It was rough because those happened to be elements that comprised the greater whole, and because of that negative association, folks are now excessively apprehensive about the prospect of those elements ever returning again.

Other M ain't great, but its problems are largely owed to a bungling of the fundamentals: it featured offensively bad writing, and poorly designed gameplay. Those were enough to sink it. Shame it stained everything else by sheer association as well, but my core point is that future Metroid games can show Samus's face a bit more without treading into Other M territory.

I disagree with this so much, I don't need Samus to become MCU Iron Man with her ripping her helmet off constantly in ridiculous situations just so we can see her face. She's a lot cooler when she's kept discrete and subtle in my mind, and the last time we got this, we got Other M.
I actually agree with what you said about Iron Man, that'd be too far in my opinion. But that's not what was laid out. They said "shown more in marketing," not "constantly taking her helmet off" in the game. And I agree with them that it's too bad that the longest-running and (one of the) most prominent female presence in gaming only has her actual face shown when she's in a skintight catsuit in exaggerated poses. I'd love to see marketing material with one of the solid, badass poses Varia Suit Samus gets to do, but with her face and ponytail out in the wind. I've seen tons of fanart like that, it's fantastic, it's powerful as hell, and I'd love to see Nintendo do some of that and stop treating her identity as solely an endgame reward.

But definitely not to the degree of Iron Man or Spidey or the other MCU heroes with inexplicably disappearing/reappearing helmets. I'd like for her character to be subtle, like you said, but not just completely shutting out the visibility of the fact that this iconic badass is a woman.

You know, on the topic of "faceless Samus" I don't remember the original Metroid Prime being able to see through her visor so much. While I do love the profile of the visor, I gotta admit, it's nice just seeing the human through the other end. I don't need her to take the helmet off, but even just seeing her face through the glass is good.

I want more (post-game) scenes of Samus doing regular stuff but also wearing regular clothes.

bk1i5p1ebgb61.png

I’ve gone from really liking to really disliking Prime Hunters today. Took me 3 hours to kill an eye ball boss as I don’t know how to dodge it’s charge attack which is driving me nuts. Also I am completely lost the majority of the time, I have no idea where to go. I kill the eyeball thing and escape, but I haven’t picked up any new weapons so I have nowhere to go as I have done everything I can in the levels already. For such a scaled down experience I can not believe how difficult it is to make progress.

Edit. I missed the bloody volt driver at the beginning of the game no wonder I’ve been having such a hard time. Still wish the game had the hint system still.

Last edited:
I want more (post-game) scenes of Samus doing regular stuff but also wearing regular clothes.

bk1i5p1ebgb61.png
I need Nintendo to put out the lore on this alien bartender. If random Jim Bobs in Star Wars can get whole backstories, this dude should be entitled to the same treatment.

I need Nintendo to put out the lore on this alien bartender. If random Jim Bobs in Star Wars can get whole backstories, this dude should be entitled to the same treatment.
The last thing we need Nintendo to do with Metroid is emulate Star Wars 🙃

I'm among those first in line to give Other M its due criticism, but I do think we (as in, Metroid fans in general) should aim to avoid presenting it as the go-to example of what to dread, and what simply doesn't work in Metroid, in cases where it isn't entirely fitting to. I've seen folks invoke the disaster of Other M in order to say overt storytelling in Metroid is bad thing, and the same with characters, Samus talking, the series being in a third-person 3D style, and so on. There's a contingent of fans that seem to believe that just because all of those things were most prominently featured in one game, and that the game was reviled, it means those working on the series best not try those things ever again. Thing is, Other M wasn't rough because it had characters, a third-person 3D camera, or Samus having her face prominently shown. It was rough because those happened to be elements that comprised the greater whole, and because of that negative association, folks are now excessively apprehensive about the prospect of those elements ever returning again.

COMPLETELY agree with this. The entire fanbase needs an intervention with regards to fearing basic aspects of storytelling and gameplay just because Other M implemented them badly.

And with regards to the Samus’ face discussion, both you and @chocolate_supra nailed what I was going for. Doesn’t need to be a constant thing in the games, just normalized in them and especially in marketing.

Both of you brought up fan art, and that’s a big thing that prompted my post. It’s crazy that we have all that great fan art of Samus’ helmet off, looking imposing, hair blowing in the wind… but nothing official like that from Nintendo.

Hell, just for fun, something that could preserve the “secretive” or “exclusive” nature of seeing Samus’ face, but also making it more normalized - imagine if the reversible cover for prime 4 was the exact same key art just with her helmet off or something.

Both of you brought up fan art, and that’s a big thing that prompted my post. It’s crazy that we have all that great fan art of Samus’ helmet off, looking imposing, hair blowing in the wind… but nothing official like that from Nintendo.
vggWCq7.png

HSfzXwR.jpg

mSvr135.jpg

Yes.

Man plaything through Prime 2, one thing that is a pleasant surprise is that the music is pretty consistent with Prime 1. I legit have had the hub theme stuck in my head a few times already. I knew going into it that Torvus Bog was considered one of the legendary tracks of the series, with Sanctuary Fortress and the underwater theme sometimes getting mentions. But so far everything is great, even the Luminoth track goes way harder than it needs to, and I haven't even gotten to Sanctuary Fortress yet, I better not be disappointed.

The only area where i dont remember the music is Agon Wastes, which is an Agon Wastes of potential.

Getting closer to the end of Corruption. I honestly think Skytown is the most beautiful video game level I've ever seen. I spend so much time just panning the camera and listening to the angelic music. Absolutely love the lore about the Elysians, though it's very sad.

Man plaything through Prime 2, one thing that is a pleasant surprise is that the music is pretty consistent with Prime 1. I legit have had the hub theme stuck in my head a few times already. I knew going into it that Torvus Bog was considered one of the legendary tracks of the series, with Sanctuary Fortress and the underwater theme sometimes getting mentions. But so far everything is great, even the Luminoth track goes way harder than it needs to, and I haven't even gotten to Sanctuary Fortress yet, I better not be disappointed.

The only area where i dont remember the music is Agon Wastes, which is an Agon Wastes of potential.

Dun dun, duh duh dun, GONG.

Getting closer to the end of Corruption. I honestly think Skytown is the most beautiful video game level I've ever seen. I spend so much time just panning the camera and listening to the angelic music. Absolutely love the lore about the Elysians, though it's very sad.

Dun dun, duh duh dun, GONG.
skytown almost got cut from mp3 several times due to it being the main thing preventing 3 from being 60fps all the way in. I dont remember which kiwi talkz interview said this but it was a tough job to get it running at 60.

skytown almost got cut from mp3 several times due to it being the main thing preventing 3 from being 60fps all the way in. I dont remember which kiwi talkz interview said this but it was a tough job to get it running at 60.

Yeah, I remember watching that interview. Retro always seems to figure it out, or die trying haha. It runs flawlessly :). I also never really realized despite beating the game over 10 times how jarring (in a good way) it is going from the wide open spaces of Skytown to the cramped, twisted hallways of the Pirate Homeworld.

Yeah, I remember watching that interview. Retro always seems to figure it out, or die trying haha. It runs flawlessly :). I also never really realized despite beating the game over 10 times how jarring (in a good way) it is going from the wide open spaces of Skytown to the cramped, twisted hallways of the Pirate Homeworld.
i think it shows how retro was getting tired of the formula and was pushing things forward.

Just finished up Corruption 100% items on Hypermode difficulty. Unfortunately I missed one Space Pirate scan somewhere. I've actually never 100%'d the scans in this game before :(. There's like a million different Pirates in this game. Oh well, maybe next time. I also learned when watching the credits that Troy Baker did some voice(s) in this game. He was everywhere even back in the day haha.

I got to Sanctuary Fortress today in Prime 2 and man, what a location. It's funny because whenever I saw it on YouTube videos I always found it odd and very un-Metroid, kind of mixed on its look with the metallic red and black thing going on. Seeing it in person though, it really is a beaut. This is going to sound weird but it reminds me of Mario Galaxy with its abstract look. Little things like the robots that are basically hand floor brushes, or the walking robots with heads that will fly to other bodies if destroyed, are very cool. What a great game!

I got to Sanctuary Fortress today in Prime 2 and man, what a location. It's funny because whenever I saw it on YouTube videos I always found it odd and very un-Metroid, kind of mixed on its look with the metallic red and black thing going on. Seeing it in person though, it really is a beaut. This is going to sound weird but it reminds me of Mario Galaxy with its abstract look. Little things like the robots that are basically hand floor brushes, or the walking robots with heads that will fly to other bodies if destroyed, are very cool. What a great game!

To me it's actually the most Metroidey of Metroid locations! Metroid has always been this fusion (ha) of organic and mechanical environments. Sanctuary is the prime (ha) example of them leaning into the mechanical. Along with Skytown in Prime 3 (which leans into steampunk), I feel it's the most unique location in all of Metroid. But I get what you mean, there really is nothing else like it in the series (or any game I've played for that matter) so in some sense it might seem out of place. I actually like how Echoes gives you nothing but natural environments up to that point (ruins, desert, swamp) and then they even mention the next location is on some "cliffs," but then you're hit with this crazy cyberpunk technoindustrial fortress.

Back
Top Bottom