• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Metroid Prime remaster/remake planned for 2022 (UPDATE: new rumor from Jeff Grubb, see threadmarks)

This, along with everything else we have announced + rumored will put 2022 into one of the next years of Nintendo output for me. Now just need that damn Donkey Kong game to be announced…
It really does seem like Nintendo waits every five years to unleash an absolutely legendary slate of titles.

I’ve been thinking of some QOL they could add and honestly the only big thing I can think of is fast travel BUT I think they should do it like this:

- it’s an actual upgrade you get in the world, contextualized as a Chozo weapon or something.
- it warps you between save stations.
- it is ONLY accessible after defeating Omega Pirate. There is no reason you need to be fast traveling around Prime’s world until the Chozo artifact hunt and cleaning up for 100%. It would destroy the game’s pacing, but would alleviate some of the issues people had with the artifacts (which I honestly don’t agree with)
- it should be locked behind a new gauntlet/optional boss.

if they ever get around to Prime 2, they should do the same PLUS an item that lets you warp between the light world and dark world at any place (if said room doesnt have a dark world equivalent, a “Dark Aetherian counterpart not found” message would show up)

It really does seem like Nintendo waits every five years to unleash an absolutely legendary slate of titles.
Somehow we've found their biggest teams in lockstep, I think in part due to the impacts of the pandemic. Things are also seem more challenging to predict than usual.

EPD 8 (3D Mario) has had a fairly consistent 3-4 year gap between major projects since Galaxy, but we seem to be past that (unless Bowser's Fury was it)

EPD 9 (Mario Kart, ARMS) is off in the woods or something

EPD 10 (2D Mario, Pikmin 3, Big Brain Academy) has a new game but who's to say what their biggest project is

EPD 3 (Zelda) is doing Zelda

EPD 4 (LABO, Game Builder Garage) has something out most years now it seems

EPD 7 (Tomodachi internally with a bunch of collaborations) could possibly be due to have a Tomodachi 3 out

EPD 5, coincidentally, has Splatoon coming out

It's a very weird time right now, and arguably the biggest contributor to that is their two biggest collaborators, Game Freak and HAL, shipping shockingly ambitious games in the first half of the year.

This was kind of an overly long and aimless reply but my main "point" is that we're in very strange times and that next year will be interesting no matter what.

I expect they will announced both Prime 1 Remaster and a teaser for Prime 4 next E3.

If Prime 1 is a 1:1 remaster/remake (like Crash/Spyro/Tony Hawk, re-done assets + QoL and such, but core gameplay, IA and level design the same), I don’t think it needs too much marketing. Considering a november release date to coincide Prime 20th anniversary, ~5 marketing months is more than OK for me

<embedded quote redacted per user request>

A small, late question - regarding 2021, why did you write first mp1 wraps development and only then below it prime 1 more ambitious than expected? With development having wrapped up, why does it need mentioning at that point but not earlier that it was more ambitious than expected?

Then again, maybe I am putting too much importance in the order things are said, and you just meant it as a positive thing that came out once the final product was wrapped up.

do we know anything regarding open world type of play for Prime 4? Apparently Prime 3 was supposed to be more like this with the ship being used for dynamically.

These rumours that the trilogy is scrapped (or really far away), made me find a second hand wii U to play the trilogy, just started echoes yesterday, but will probably put it on hold for dread

I’ve been thinking of some QOL they could add and honestly the only big thing I can think of is fast travel BUT I think they should do it like this:

- it warps you between save stations.
- it is ONLY accessible after defeating Omega Pirate. There is no reason you need to be fast traveling around Prime’s world until the Chozo artifact hunt and cleaning up for 100%. It would destroy the game’s pacing, but would alleviate some of the issues people had with the artifacts (which I honestly don’t agree with)

When I played Prime 1 on the Wii ~10 years back I was pretty upset with getting stuck near the end and only having one artifact scanned. It was completely my fault since I hardly scanned anything throughout the game. My beef was that I hate backtracking, especially towards the end of a game.

The funny thing is that as I was moving through the game I realized that exploring this world was pretty frickin cool (although I did get frustrated at that open chamber with with the platforms you had to jump on). I would welcome warps between save stations but I probably wouldn't use it.

My problem with the artefact hunt is that you cannot get all the clues when you first visit the "shrine", this means you need to constantly visit the "shrine" to get more clues. If you had all the clues from the beginning finding the artefacts would be much more organic

I'm gutted that it seems the Trilogy itself won't come to Switch, maybe we can get basic remasters (Like Mario Sunshine/Galaxy on the All Stars collection) some day.

I'm gutted that it seems the Trilogy itself won't come to Switch, maybe we can get basic remasters (Like Mario Sunshine/Galaxy on the All Stars collection) some day.
Same. Seeing as I never picked up Echoes or Corruption back in the day (Halo was my life then), I would like a chance to revisit them with e new coat of paint.

I picked up the trilogy on Wii U VC, but between becoming a father, moving states for a new job, and just life, I never got around to playing them before I had to sell the Wii U for the Switch.

Same. Seeing as I never picked up Echoes or Corruption back in the day (Halo was my life then), I would like a chance to revisit them with e new coat of paint.

I picked up the trilogy on Wii U VC, but between becoming a father, moving states for a new job, and just life, I never got around to playing them before I had to sell the Wii U for the Switch.

Luckily I still have my Wii U so I may bite the bullet and get the trilogy there but I’m not a lover of motion controls. I’ll wait and see what this ends up being before I do anything.

<embedded quote redacted per user request>

That's a really great summary Emily. Thank you for this and welcome back to Nintendo discussion!! We all missed you ❤️

Now about everything: that will be a really ambitious and large development for Metroid Prime 4 when it finally comes. 4-5 years means it'll probably deliver, as it's either the same or longer than BotW's dev time. I'm really looking forward to see how glorious this and MP1 remakester will look.

If the remake of Metroid Prime is anything like the Skyward Sword Remake, I'll be there day 1.

Skyward Sword HD is remaster, and this sounds more ambitious than Skyward Sword HD,
but again I dont expect full remake like for instance Dark Souls for PS5 is.

Call me crazy but I wouldn't be too hyped for it. The only thing that would be cool about it is the chance of seeing what "next-gen" (when comparing a Wii game to a Switch game) Metroid Prime might look like early. That, and Metroid Prime 1 is generally agreed upon to have the best environments/world in the Trilogy, so it's possible even Prime 4 doesn't eclipse Prime 1 Remake in that regard.

Other than that ... eh. I feel like the trilogy is so well regarded as a whole that to just release 1 game is kind of deflating.

I’d rather have the whole trilogy but hell, I’ll take it. Still a fantastic game.

kind of worried about what it means for 2 and 3 though.

My assumption is 2 and 3 happen over time for the simple fact it gives Nintendo two more games to slot in to their release schedule in the years ahead. Re-releases have always been a part of the equation with Nintendo, but the last couple of years have been especially heavy on that front. Having individual releases from the Trilogy triples the software output (in one sense) without requiring enormous investment, even if we can assume that the work per game is more intensive than a Trilogy re-release would've been.

Still got the Prime games on their respective original consoles + the trilogy on WiiU and believe they hold up quite well, so I would really prefer a significant remaster rather than a straight port to the Switch, even if it's just Prime 1. Though to me, Prime 2 is almost as good as 1, so hopefully such a remaster would sell really well and convince Nintendo to remaster the other two.

My assumption is 2 and 3 happen over time for the simple fact it gives Nintendo two more games to slot in to their release schedule in the years ahead. Re-releases have always been a part of the equation with Nintendo, but the last couple of years have been especially heavy on that front. Having individual releases from the Trilogy triples the software output (in one sense) without requiring enormous investment, even if we can assume that the work per game is more intensive than a Trilogy re-release would've been.

IMO the only way we are not getting Prime 2 and 3 HD is if Dread, Prime 1 HD, and Prime 4 all tank massively sales-wise, which is very unlikely.

I could see those games coming a little farther down the line if Nintendo doesn't want to release too much Metroid too closely or if Retro Studios wants a break to work on something different. Not sure what the turn time would be exactly if a lot of assets are already created out of Prime 1 HD and Prime 4 but if Nintendo could turn around these games a couple of years apart from each other that would be awesome.

2021-Dread
2022-Prime 1 HD
2023-Prime 4
2025-Prime 2 HD
2027-Prime 3 HD

(insert picture of me twitching at the sight of Prime 1-4 not having the same spine on the shelf.

A Metroid Prime remake by retro themselves sound like a dream, followed with Prime 4 in 2023, the samus era is coming,
(and glad to enjoy this new home with this lovely community!)

If Metroid Prime "Remake" is anywhere near the effort of Link's Awakening or Demon's Souls, consider it near the top of my most wanted for 2022.

I know some are tired of the focus on remakes, but 1. if they're a good way for a company to have more sustained revenue, I'm all for it, and 2. we shouldn't be assuming that productions like this come at the expense of a new game. If Retro was working on a new game, and it was cancelled (or shelved), I'm sure that decision wasn't taken lightly. Working on a remake might have been just what the studio needed to get their footing after whatever happened before it

So this sounds like a remakester. Somewhere between remake and remaster.

I agree with some other thats MPR will come first then MP4. MP2 and MP3 will come later.
Basically what the Halo Anniversary games are. Same game, new graphics.
R.4f103325ffef6b09eb6963baf24f78d1

i really hope they take this opportunity to fix the Chozo lore, it’s super cool, But it contradicts itself a lot.

Does the Halo 2 remaster fix anything or make QOL changes? I’d like to see stuff like that in a Metroid Prime Remakester
Gameplay wise, it's the exact same game as the original, complete with its infamously absurd (and broken) Legendary difficulty. The only QOL change added was the ability to select Skulls (game modfiers) at the mission select screen like later games, rather than having to pick them up in game to activate their effects. They also added some new ones, and made them available on all difficulties from the jump (originally, you needed to play on Legendary to collect them).

Gameplay wise, it's the exact same game as the original, complete with its infamously absurd (and broken) Legendary difficulty. The only QOL change added was the ability to select Skulls (game modfiers) at the mission select screen like later games, rather than having to pick them up in game to activate their effects. They also added some new ones, and made them available on all difficulties from the jump (originally, you needed to play on Legendary to collect them).
Hmm I see

Yep, they even actively tried to make sure glitches still worked. The point was to re-release the exact same game people loved, but with new visuals.

Mark Macdonald's EGM review of Prime always sticks out to me and rings true after all these years:
The intense yet strategic combat of Halo. The ingenious level design and devious puzzles of Zelda's best dungeons. The intriguing story, moody atmosphere, and spooky thrills of Resident Evil. The new Metroid stands with the very best of modern games in almost every important respect. Well, except sound and graphics, where Prime surpasses them all. The amount of time, skill, and dedication that obviously went into crafting and polishing this game just completely blows my mind. Videogames, regardless of what system they are for, just aren't supposed to sound this good, look this detailed, be this large in scope and this fun to play all at the same time; it's like the best title from six years in the future fell through a time warp. Besides one aspect of the controls (why not include the option for a dual-analog stick setup like most other first-person games?), it's hard to imagine any complaints even the most cynical gamer could have with Prime, right down to its impeccable pacing and difficulty level. It's a joy to play and nearly impossible to put down until it's all over, and even then, a stash of secrets and cool unlockables await. Whether you're new to the series or (especially) if you're an old fan with lofty expectations, Prime is better than you can imagine. An absolute masterpiece, a modern classic, and probably the most fun I've ever had playing a videogame.
I can't believe it's going to be 20 years next year.

Basically what the Halo Anniversary games are. Same game, new graphics.
R.4f103325ffef6b09eb6963baf24f78d1

This kind of upgrade for Prime would be fantastic and we'll worth a full price tag.

What a cool project this turned out to be. I appreciate the insiders keeping us in the know on this.

IMO the only way we are not getting Prime 2 and 3 HD is if Dread, Prime 1 HD, and Prime 4 all tank massively sales-wise, which is very unlikely.

I could see those games coming a little farther down the line if Nintendo doesn't want to release too much Metroid too closely or if Retro Studios wants a break to work on something different. Not sure what the turn time would be exactly if a lot of assets are already created out of Prime 1 HD and Prime 4 but if Nintendo could turn around these games a couple of years apart from each other that would be awesome.

2021-Dread
2022-Prime 1 HD
2023-Prime 4
2025-Prime 2 HD
2027-Prime 3 HD

(insert picture of me twitching at the sight of Prime 1-4 not having the same spine on the shelf.

The only thing that worries me about Prime 2 and 3 HD is that the original games sold so poorly that Nintendo might just not think that it's worth it it to touch them again. I guess it really depends on how well Dread and Prime 1 HD sell and how much demand they determine there is for more Metroid.

So this sounds like a remakester. Somewhere between remake and remaster.

I agree with some other thats MPR will come first then MP4. MP2 and MP3 will come later.

I would expect something between Zelda WW/TP HD and Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, so not simple remaster like Zelda Skyward Sword HD but not also remake,
so remakester. :)

I'd consider the project a remake if the games has new 3D models, new textures, new lighting and remastered audio even if it's basically using the original game as a skeleton. That's pretty much how Bluepoint operates.

Obviously this should be expected to take advantage of the right stick as well as the gyroscope for aiming which they'd ideally balance the game around to make it's not too easy/hard compared to the original experience with a more modern control scheme.

Back
Top Bottom