• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Metroid Prime 4: Pre-Release Discussion Thread

They'd find something to really highlight the power of the Switch NG that they can add in after optimizing it for OG Switch hardware. Nintendo doesn't really have that many graphical showcase games, but they have regularly used Metroid to act as one. I have no doubts that they'd try to do it again with 4 and give us a lot of visual enhancements over the base version.

Or they could do basically nothing, and it's just the same game at a higher resolution. Either or.

They'd find something to really highlight the power of the Switch NG that they can add in after optimizing it for OG Switch hardware. Nintendo doesn't really have that many graphical showcase games, but they have regularly used Metroid to act as one. I have no doubts that they'd try to do it again with 4 and give us a lot of visual enhancements over the base version.

Or they could do basically nothing, and it's just the same game at a higher resolution. Either or.
Every other time the game was a visual showcase, it was specifically made for that platform.
Metroid Prime Hunters and Metroid Prime 1 showcased the hardware they were on perfectly and wowed you with their graphics.
I just don't really see this happen for a game that's been in dev for 5 years mainly for the consoles predescessor.

Last edited:
I could see Retro deciding to push Prime 4 more on the Switch 1 (so it's like 30 FPS and low resolution on Switch 1) and then just making it 60 FPS and much higher resolution on Switch 2.

That's the more realistic approach to having Prime 4 be an impressive cross-gen game.

I could see Retro deciding to push Prime 4 more on the Switch 1 (so it's like 30 FPS and low resolution on Switch 1) and then just making it 60 FPS and much higher resolution on Switch 2.

That's the more realistic approach to having Prime 4 be an impressive cross-gen game.
I agree.

I personally believe that if Prime 4 on og Switch is not 60fps, they've failed. The home console Metroid Primes have all pushed for smooth 60fps gameplay and the recent Prime 1 remaster also achieved that - if they don't hit 60fps on og Switch, they've done something fundamentally wrong. They should stick with how it currently works with rooms loaded one at a time so the detail in said rooms are high and still hit 60fps.

I personally believe that if Prime 4 on og Switch is not 60fps, they've failed. The home console Metroid Primes have all pushed for smooth 60fps gameplay and the recent Prime 1 remaster also achieved that - if they don't hit 60fps on og Switch, they've done something fundamentally wrong. They should stick with how it currently works with rooms loaded one at a time so the detail in said rooms are high and still hit 60fps.
Disagree, it's time for metroid to move beyond the constrained room format (actually it was time with dread)

Disagree, it's time for metroid to move beyond the constrained room format (actually it was time with dread)
rare Zeal W (a big one even)

jokes aside, i agree. Its about time metroid moved on from that. And if 60fps is only available on the next console due to a much increase ambition, i'll be bummed but its understandble lol.

What would even be the difference between crossgen and a Switch release?
I feel like that's more of a spectrum.
It's build for the Switch first, so if anything it's only gonna have a few enhancements.
If the next console is backwards compatible then it might aswell be just a patch or the game on the cartridge already just loading different performance settings depending on the hardware.
Or does crossgen mean there has to be another game case on the shelf has to have the Switch 2 logo on it?
Cause I don't feel like there's gonna be much of a difference.
better perfomance on Switch sucessor(better assests, resolution, framerate then the Switch version, 4K 60fps on Switch sucessor, 1080p 60fps on Switch

It will be 60fps on Switch. That's the one thing we can be sure of, they've never (wholly) developed a game that wasn't, they're not gonna start now.

Only way they'll make the game not 60 FPS on Switch is of they go for an open world game.
And there's no way they're gonna have the game going to low resolutions like the PS4/XBO downports or Xenoblade Chronicles 2.
They're gonna deliver a game they've worked on for 5-6 years and that was made from the start for the Switch.
Metroid Prime Remastered is a hell of a looker, but it still got limited by being faithful to the original.

If they go super bigger with scope + going for even more impressive graphics than MPR, I think they'll go the Xenoblade Chronicles 3 route, using internally low resolutions and reconstructing to 1080p with TAAU.

Ain't gonna be the end of the world or anything like that tho if they go for graphics more impressive than MPR + open world and make it 30FPS. God of War 2018 was 30FPS on PS4 and unstable 60FPS on pro, with Ragnarok being 30FPS on PS4, unstable on Pro and 60 on 5 with only higher res and that game got a hell of a big praise for its visuals. And it was in literally the same position as MP, with every PS2/3 GoW game being 60FPS.

I've been thinking it for a while now that people who want Prime 4 to have:
-better graphical effects / lighting
-better textures
-better or equal image quality
-be a more ambitious game
-60fps

All at once in comparison to Prime Remastered are setting themselves up for disappointment. Prime Remastered probably had no bottlenecks thanks to the Gamecube level physics, A.I., and data streaming. Prime 4 by comparison will have better physics, better A.I., and probably more expansive areas. Personally, as much as I value consistency in graphics fidelity, I think holding back progression in area design would be the wrong move. Prime 4 should be making strides to load new areas seamlessly or without elevators, going as far as to make it condensed like Prime 1 would be a huge mistake.

I could see it being a Halo Reach --> Halo 4 situation, where an increase in better lighting, better particle effects, and maybe slightly better detail on certain objects makes it have "better graphics" than Prime Remastered, but stuff like texture work is less consistent and some smaller parts of the geometry are more basic. Art style might even emphasis bloom too much as well. So if you value consistency maybe Prime Remastered won't be entirely beat. Unfortunately I'm more a Halo Reach guy.

I have no idea what gameplay direction they'll go in.

I would guess that they would go in a much more open and interactive direction with regards to world design, but like, the recent God of War games do the tiny rooms, no interaction stuff still.

It would be weird as that style is generally meant for graphical showpieces and that's hard to do on the Switch 1.

I've been thinking it for a while now that people who want Prime 4 to have:
-better graphical effects / lighting
-better textures
-better or equal image quality
-be a more ambitious game
-60fps

All at once in comparison to Prime Remastered are setting themselves up for disappointment. Prime Remastered probably had no bottlenecks thanks to the Gamecube level physics, A.I., and data streaming. Prime 4 by comparison will have better physics, better A.I., and probably more expansive areas. Personally, as much as I value consistency in graphics fidelity, I think holding back progression in area design would be the wrong move. Prime 4 should be making strides to load new areas seamlessly or without elevators, going as far as to make it condensed like Prime 1 would be a huge mistake.

I could see it being a Halo Reach --> Halo 4 situation, where an increase in better lighting, better particle effects, and maybe slightly better detail on certain objects makes it have "better graphics" than Prime Remastered, but stuff like texture work is less consistent and some smaller parts of the geometry are more basic. Art style might even emphasis bloom too much as well. So if you value consistency maybe Prime Remastered won't be entirely beat. Unfortunately I'm more a Halo Reach guy.
I already accepted that mp4 will be something different. I love a good showcase of visuals but i would never prefer it over a innovative game. I much prefer mp4 to be open, interactive and innovative over a lot of cramped rooms that have very quality textures and the such.

Tbh Xenoblade Chronicles 2 -> 3 looks like a generational leap in visuals/fidelity/animation/rendering/modeling in the same console, and TotK is like 2- 3 times the size of BotW, has more/enhanced visual effects and fidelity in textures and etc, and it didn't see, say, a drawback to sub 720 or anything like that.
Splatoon 3 also looks marginally better than 2, with a better lighting, better shadows, better shading, bigger areas, bigger hub world, more stuff on scream and etc and it's still 60FPS like 2 and it stays more in the higher end of the dynamic res than 2 did.

I just want to see the game already so we can draw proper conclusions.

Tbh Xenoblade Chronicles 2 -> 3 looks like a generational leap in visuals/fidelity/animation/rendering/modeling in the same console, and TotK is like 2- 3 times the size of BotW, has more/enhanced visual effects and fidelity in textures and etc, and it didn't see, say, a drawback to sub 720 or anything like that.
Splatoon 3 also looks marginally better than 2, with a better lighting, better shadows, better shading, bigger areas, bigger hub world, more stuff on scream and etc and it's still 60FPS like 2 and it stays more in the higher end of the dynamic res than 2 did.

The last line, we have no idea what Prime 4 is, litterale we only know is in first person

To be fair, those are 2017 games compared to 2022/2023 games.

Whereas Prime 1 Remastered is a 2021 game and Prime 4 will (hopefully...) be a 2024 game so there may be less of a learning curve.

To be fair, those are 2017 games compared to 2022/2023 games.

Whereas Prime 1 Remastered is a 2021 game and Prime 4 will (hopefully...) be a 2024 game so there may be less of a learning curve.
sure, but there will still be the key differences, nonetheless
them being:

• modern animation quality. Retro will certainly be impressive, might even be the most impressive in regards to mocap and animation for a nintendo game.
  • New area design, whereas mpr was based on the limitations of the gc, mp4 will be able to open things nicely and create designs that will really put to use all the horse power that the switch has compared to the gc.
  • possibly a physics engine to kick things up, perhaps physics based puzzles and other things.

i think those two are sure to give a surprising feel to mp4, even in the event that the game is 30fps on switch, for example.

I hope, for the good of the series, they have just ditched the Switch version and went for a full fledged Switch 2 title.
The Switch aging hardware would definetly limit its design and this title needs booth visuals and gamplay innovations if they want it to stand out.

Last edited:
Decided to rewatch the ‘2019 Development Update’ video again for the first time in a few years.

Still so surreal. I was sitting in a university lecture at the time I saw that.

One thing that did bring a bit of smile to my face on this rewatch was Takahashi saying that development time will be extensive, but the end product will, and I quote: “Stand shoulder to shoulder” with the previous entries of the series.

“Stand shoulder to shoulder”. I like that. And, as we all know, Samus has some BIG shoulders to fill.

I hope, for the good of the series, they have just ditched the Switch version and went for a full fledged Switch 2 title.
The Switch aging hardware would definetly limit its design and this title needs booth visuals and gamplay innovations if they want it to stand out.

Imagine it being a Switch 2 exclusive but you can't play it for 2 years because Switch 2's are sold out everywhere. No way they are doing that to Metroid fans that have waited so long for this.

Imagine it being a Switch 2 exclusive but you can't play it for 2 years because Switch 2's are sold out everywhere. No way they are doing that to Metroid fans that have waited so long for this.
Imagine being an F-Zero fan.

Prime remastered is one of the sharpest looking games on switch. If it looks like that I certainly won’t complain
I would say would I agree, but since I'm already Metroid Prime fan I would say my opinion is biased.
It looks good for me, that doesn't mean it's impressive for any potential player that is new to series and is accustomed to see Sci-fi themed games on other platforms such as of Doom or Returnal.

In addition I would say Prime Remaster looks so good beacuse under the hood it's still a Gamecube game, designed around the hardware limitations of that time.

How on earth can ditching the long announced version of the game that's gonna have a 145m install base when the game comes in favor of an uncertain next hardware that will be in shortages when it comes for the good of the series??
No it wouldn't. We have Tears of the Kingdom that impressed everyone on said aging hardware. And hardware doesn't make miracles. A game coming for better hardware won't automatically look or play better than a Switch game. It'd have to get a budget for that. And MP4 won't have a budget anywhere near games like TLOU, Tomb Raider or Horizon to take full advantage of Switch 2.
And let's not forget the game restarted development by 2018, when Drake hardware wasn't even close to be finished so they'd start development on Switch regardless. They'd have to reboot development again by 2021 or so again in order to have it on a big graphical and scope level for it not to run on Switch.
If anything the game being thought for Switch only will make it look more impressive for Switch, as it'll be less demanding than say the next 3D Mario so it can take full advantage of 4K/HDR/RTX.
BotW was the big showing of the Switch and it's a Wii U game.
I think everyone considers Horizon Forbidden West one of the most impressive PS5 games and it still has a PS4 version. Everyone considers GoW Ragnarok one of the best looking games of 2022 and it's literally a PS4 game.

Also like the design of the game was established on 2019/20 the Switch 2 is not a time machine
I wouldn't be surprised if the next 3D Mario or whatever big game Nintendo is planning for Switch 2 launch has started pre-production stages around the same time. From my understanding, launch games start production way before the final specifics of target hardware is finalized.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next 3D Mario or whatever big game Nintendo is planning for Switch 2 has started pre-production stages around the same time.
From my understanding, launch game start production way before the final specifics of target hardware is finalized.
Yeah like Mario 64, but Prime 4 by Retro is in dev for for too long to be changed in design

Retro can only do that by rebooting again

I wouldn't be surprised if the next 3D Mario or whatever big game Nintendo is planning for Switch 2 launch has started pre-production stages around the same time. From my understanding, launch games start production way before the final specifics of target hardware is finalized.
Mario games are basically development alongside the hardware (Odyssey was, for example, and started development in late 2013). Koizumi is also responsible for hardware. The next 3D Mario started development when Odyssey, an exclusive Switch title, was already out. And it's not announced yet.

Metroid Prime 4 was officially announced for Switch in 2017. Then it was officially announced to be rebooted for Switch in 2019. It's a totally different situation. The game's been on upcoming software lists for 6 years now. They aren't just announcing the game isn't coming anymore when it's close to release.

How on earth can ditching the long announced version of the game that's gonna have a 145m install base when the game comes in favor of an uncertain next hardware that will be in shortages when it comes for the good of the series??
Going by this reasoning, Nintendo should not release a Switch 2 at all since thier current user base is so huge and they'll risk to lose it.
Also, in general publishers shouldn't try any new or smaller IPs on new consoles, since older consoles will naturally always have a larger userbase initally.
It doesn't work that way, demand is the factor, sales is just a reflection of demand over time (this goes both for consoles and games).

Without looking any further than the Metorid series itself, you can clearly see install base is not the most important factor at play.
Otherwise why has MP3 sold less than MP1 despite the 5 times larger install base? Why MP Hunters on DS have not outsold both on an even larger install base? Why Samus Returns have not outsold Super Metroid? (again the install base was more than double at the time).

If you look at Nintendo's best selling titles, you can easily tell they sell so well because they generate a demand that is mostly unmet by any other publisher in the market. They have unique playstiles and themes that are not replicated (at least with the same scale and quality level) by any other competitor. Nintendo is deliberately very careful giving their games elements of "uniqueness".
Metroid is different, because it "lives" in a very crowded place, meaning there are lots of sci-fi themed shooters and space exploration games out there (although with different mechanics). This means it's more difficult for it to stand out. To do so, it has to play on the same ground as possibile as other titles. The visual/presentation standards players are accustomed to play this kind of games are high.

No it wouldn't. We have Tears of the Kingdom that impressed everyone on said aging hardware. And hardware doesn't make miracles. A game coming for better hardware won't automatically look or play better than a Switch game. It'd have to get a budget for that. And MP4 won't have a budget anywhere near games like TLOU, Tomb Raider or Horizon to take full advantage of Switch 2.
And let's not forget the game restarted development by 2018, when Drake hardware wasn't even close to be finished so they'd start development on Switch regardless. They'd have to reboot development again by 2021 or so again in order to have it on a big graphical and scope level for it not to run on Switch.
If anything the game being thought for Switch only will make it look more impressive for Switch, as it'll be less demanding than say the next 3D Mario so it can take full advantage of 4K/HDR/RTX.
BotW was the big showing of the Switch and it's a Wii U game.
I think everyone considers Horizon Forbidden West one of the most impressive PS5 games and it still has a PS4 version. Everyone considers GoW Ragnarok one of the best looking games of 2022 and it's literally a PS4 game.
Tears of the Kingdom and Breath of the Wild are perfect examples of what I stated earlier. Nintendo worked hard to give BOTW a very distintinctive look and feel, its artstyle does not look comparable to any other game on the market at the time, its new design concepts to make it also play differently from any other open world game in the market. And yet Zelda started from a much better position, having already unique long-established formula without virually any direct competitor.
As I said earlier Metroid doesn't have that kind of advantage. Using a more solid hardware configuration allows developers to both to not starting at a disadvantage (in the comparison with other games) and gives them more resources to innovate to the formula.

Cross-gen PS4/PS5 titles still work beacuse we didn't get yet that kind of generational leap that rises general expectations (TLOU2 and RDR2 despite being old-gen titles are still among the best looking games out there on any platform), the Switch is not in the same situation.

Last edited:
Username checks out. The game has been in development for years for the Switch and will make full use of it. Anything else would be suicide for the game. Crossgen maybe but not next-gen exclusive.

Also really don't see that whole "it needs to stand out with presentation", there's no game that's quite like Prime. Hell, there's barely any (competent) 3D-Metroidvanias at all, maybe Souls games and Arkham Asylum but that's about it. And, what exact competition for Prime is there on the Switch?

Last edited:
Username checks out. The game has been in development for years for the Switch and will make full use of it. Anything else would be suicide for the game. Crossgen maybe but not next-gen exclusive.

Also really don't see that whole "it needs to stand out with presentation", there's no game that's quite like Prime. Hell, there's barely any (competent) 3D-Metroidvanias at all, maybe Souls games and Arkham Asylum but that's about it.
If you have already played a MP game (as I guess you did), you consider it a 3D-Metroidvania and you compare it to other metoridvanias.

But if you are not familiar with MP, the whole concept of a 3D-Metroidvania is not familiar with you, as it was never really popularized by any game.
You'll look at Dark Solus and see a dark fantasy themed action RPG or a "solus" game, if you are more into the series.
Arkaham Asylum looks like a comic-book themed action game or a beat-em-up with stealth elements.

During the GC/Xbox era I remember lots players making comparisons between MP and Halo, although the games couldn't have been more different.
They only looked similar superficially and it was all that mattered.
If a new MP had to come out this year I'm sure most players would compare it with Starfield, not with Dark Souls.

Last edited:
I still don't get how this makes an argument for the game to be exclusive to the next Switch. There's no comparable game on Switch and even if people compared it to Starfield, which would be a dumb comparison in the first place imho, it's kind of a moot point because it's not on Switch.

If you have already played a MP game (as I guess you did), you consider it a 3D-Metroidvania and you compare it to other metoridvanias.

But if you are not familiar with MP, the whole concept of a 3D-Metroidvania is not familiar with you, as it was never really popularized by any game.
You'll look at Dark Solus and see a dark fantasy themed action RPG or a "solus" game, if you are more into the series.
Arkaham Asylum looks like a comic-book themed action game or a beat-em-up with stealth elements.

During the GC/Xbox era I remember lots players making comparisons between MP and Halo, although the games couldn't have been more different.
They only looked similar superficially and it was all that mattered.
If a new MP had to come out this year I'm sure most players would compare it with Starfield, not with Dark Souls.
If you go the superficial visual route then tell me, which sci fi shooter it looks so similar to?
Halo has really fallen off and just like Dead Space it's not on Switch.

Crisis has old ports on Switch that barely have any presence.
Mass Effect also isn't on Switch and it's been while since the HD remaster and a new game os still ways off.

Starfield also isn't on Switch and a very different game.

If they do a good job with Sylux I’ll hope he’s in Smash. Dark Samus is eh. Then Zero Suit is Samus again. Ridley is great to have. It’d be nice to have another unique Metroid character in Smash.
Reven Beak in Smash Bros Ultimate Deluxe or the next Super Smash Bros game?

If they do a good job with Sylux I’ll hope he’s in Smash. Dark Samus is eh. Then Zero Suit is Samus again. Ridley is great to have. It’d be nice to have another unique Metroid character in Smash.
sylux's "electro" motif can be a replacement for ZSS

I don't think anyone that actually matters will care that Prime 4 might look worse than Prime 1 Remastered. People didn't really care that Elden Ring looks and runs worse than Demon's Souls remake. They did their complaining, especially with that awful PC port, and it still went on to sell a bunch and get a bunch of goodwill.

I’m fine with whatever concessions retro has to make to either make the game a visual/performance showcase or go super ambitious.

Normally I’d say “go super ambitious, gameplay over graphics!” but honestly… I could not complain at all about a “safe” Prime sequel. There’s still nothing like it out there and the formula has still aged perfectly for me. So that + the visual/framerate quality the series is known for is fine for me.

On the other hand I’m not really someone who cares about top of the line visuals and performance, it’s nice if they’re there but not a huge knock if it’s not perfect, so if they sacrifice some of that because they feel they have some genuinely great and series-pushing ambitious new systems and level design they need to get working, that’s fine too.

Whatever they do, I’m sure they weighed their options and took the best route to give us the best possible game. I trust them, corny as it sounds. #trusttheprocess

Last edited:
I still don't get how this makes an argument for the game to be exclusive to the next Switch. There's no comparable game on Switch and even if people compared it to Starfield, which would be a dumb comparison in the first place imho, it's kind of a moot point because it's not on Switch.
It's not my intent to sound confrontational. I'll just try to explain my point. So, for simplicity, please consider the following with a big "imho".

It seems to me that your post implies people who have bought a Switch only play games on Switch.
If you rather imply that players are not locked-in a single platform than yes, a comparison with games that are not avaliable on Switch is absolutely relevant.
Since Metroid Prime is a series targeted to experienced players I think latter option is far more realistic.
The fact there are many thematically similar games (sci-fi shooter / space exploration), but very few of them are avaliable on Switch (and out of those few none has ever been a brakthorugh success), suggests there is a relevant share of people who likes this kind of games but they are accustomed to play them on different / competing platforms. By ignoring these people you're implicitly cutting out a substantial part of your potential growth market.

Why do I say that the "visual" component is particularly relevant for Metroid?
Because, if you consider my assumption above, that share of potential players has been accustomed to play thematically comparable games on PS4 / XBO / PC for almost a decade. If you want to grab their attention you can't release a game that defies their expectations in a negative way. It doesn't have to look better than other games, but it should be "on the same league" as much as possible of what is avaliable today, otherwise you're starting at a disadvantage.

Why do I think making it a Switch 2 exclusive game would be best for the series?
Because, MP needs to grow to be sustainable, so it needs to attract new players (see my previous point). It has to be innovative and distinctive, a simple reiteration of the old formula won't make it imo.
As a Switch title, you're giving developers the very hard task of working within current hardware limitations, while making a game that looks good enough (still for the players I've mentioned above), and introducing new design elements to renovate the formula. New hardware would give developers leeway to make those changes. Making it cross-gen would inevitably force developers to make compromises from the design standpoint.

It's not my intent to sound confrontational. I'll just try to explain my point. So, for simplicity, please consider the following with a big "imho".

It seems to me that your post implies people who have bought a Switch only play games on Switch.
If you rather imply that players are not locked-in a single platform than yes, a comparison with games that are not avaliable on Switch is absolutely relevant.
Since Metroid Prime is a series targeted to experienced players I think latter option is far more realistic.
The fact there are many thematically similar games (sci-fi shooter / space exploration), but very few of them are avaliable on Switch (and out of those few none has ever been a brakthorugh success), suggests there is a relevant share of people who likes this kind of games but they are accustomed to play them on different / competing platforms. By ignoring these people you're implicitly cutting out a substantial part of your potential growth market.

Why do I say that the "visual" component is particularly relevant for Metroid?
Because, if you consider my assumption above, that share of potential players has been accustomed to play thematically comparable games on PS4 / XBO / PC for almost a decade. If you want to grab their attention you can't release a game that defies their expectations in a negative way. It doesn't have to look better than other games, but it should be "on the same league" as much as possible of what is avaliable today, otherwise you're starting at a disadvantage.

Why do I think making it a Switch 2 exclusive game would be best for the series?
Because, MP needs to grow to be sustainable, so it needs to attract new players (see my previous point). It has to be innovative and distinctive, a simple reiteration of the old formula won't make it imo.
As a Switch title, you're giving developers the very hard task of working within current hardware limitations, while making a game that looks good enough (still for the players I've mentioned above), and introducing new design elements to renovate the formula. New hardware would give developers leeway to make those changes. Making it cross-gen would inevitably force developers to make compromises from the design standpoint.
Yeah and in this scenario Prime 4 is what a 2026 game? How can they possibly turned it in to a switch 2
exclusive after 4 YEARS+ of Switch dev? You have to reboot again

Or you get a Switch game without a Switch version because of no reason, because other than 60 fps and 4K maybe, you cannot change the design now

And Nintendo would probably to close Retro at that point

Back
Top Bottom